Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Some C powders/crystals just are a pain to dissolve you may have to let them sit and go back and stir often, I wouldn't add anything until the C is fully dissolved in the water, I am also assuming you used distilled water?
The E oil won't mix with water on it's own you need an emulsifier. Either a base cream from a DIY seller or the 2 main choices are glycerin or propylene glycol.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the one with the clumpy batch! I'm about out of it, thank goodness. Maybe I'll get a better batch this time. Alley, where do you get your ferulic?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
I got mine from BulkActives.com

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
I'm the one with the clumpy batch! I'm about out of it, thank goodness. Maybe I'll get a better batch this time. Alley, where do you get your ferulic?

I bought some from lotioncrafters and it's fine?I wonder if it just depends on the batch?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Mine came from Skinactives. There was another person on here who got clumpy ferulic from Skinactives too. Their customer service was very bad IMHO. They sent me an email telling me how to grind down the clumps instead of replacing it for me. Thank you for posting your sources. I'll order from bulkactives or lotioncrafters this time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:02 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Mine came from Skinactives. There was another person on here who got clumpy ferulic from Skinactives too. Their customer service was very bad IMHO. They sent me an email telling me how to grind down the clumps instead of replacing it for me. Thank you for posting your sources. I'll order from bulkactives or lotioncrafters this time.

Now that you mention that I remember that another had problems with theirs. That really turns me off to skinactives they really should have replaced yours. I have only ordered from their once and although no major problems, I can't say I am impressed with their products! I hope you have better luck from now on with a different supplier! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 am      Reply with quote
I got ferulic from Skinactives and didn't get a clumpy product thankfully. And I do love some of their products - Every Lipid Serum is wonderful as well as anti-ox booster. I also like the Marine nutrient serum and Let's make collagen. These are doing great things for dermarolling/penetration on face and hands.

My next order will be from Lotioncrafters for DIY. Kassy has offered to make me a list along with some DIY concoctions - one with Niacinimide and C - I'll use this as an addendum to my regular C as a rotation.

Sad about the customer service Tonia - they should've just mailed you a non clumpy batch and be done with it.
Some of the smaller companies don't stand behind their product in terms of replacement or refund. Not cost effective for them apparently.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:02 am      Reply with quote
It's certainly not cost effective for them to have a customer out there warning people about their defective products and bad customer service.

Still, some of their serums and creams look wonderful. I would love to try their mitochondrial cream or Let's Make Collagen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:07 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
It's certainly not cost effective for them to have a customer out there warning people about their defective products and bad customer service.

I totally agree....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
With all this talk about customer service - it makes me glad I bought some things from Lotioncrafters. Ordered on Monday and recieved it all Thursday. That's fast!

The items I ordered will help with making a batch of Vitamin C Serum. I could use some advice on what to do with all of it.

I recieved: Propylene Glycol, Ferulic Acid and Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate

In addition to that, I also have L-AA.

This is the recipe I was thinking of trying:
1/4 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1 tsp distilled water
1 tsp Propylene Glycol
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid (dissolved in-)
1/2 tsp Vodka, witch hazel or ethanol

This would make a 10% L-AA water based serum

-Can I add to this some THDCA (Tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate) and Vit E oil (I have gel caps)? How much?

-Does it matter what I use to dissolve the Ferulic Acid?

-Does it help to use warm water to dissolve the L-AA or just to stir continually for 10 minutes? My last batch never fully dissolved even after stirring for at least 5 and maybe 10 minutes. Will the Propolyne glycol help here?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I would add a 1/4 tsp. of the E and TA.

I have found that the LAA dissolves much better in warm water. One time I used cold water that was especially cold because it was winter and it never dissolved. Now, I always use warm water and it dissolves easily.

I don't know anything about propelyne glycol. Maybe someone else can answer that part.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tonia

I tried dissolving the C in warm water and even kept it in a bath of warm water when the original started to cool. Still didn't dissolve completely.

Will try again with the new things I ordered - hopefully the PG will help, but I'm not sure what its purpose is.

A 1/4 tsp of the THDCA was what I was thinking, but I have gel caps of the E > so 1 gel cap maybe?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:18 am      Reply with quote
1 gelcap of E would be good. That's your preservative so you could add a little more if you wanted and it wouldn't hurt.

PG is an emulsifier. Be sure to mix the E and the PG together before adding to the rest of the ingredients. It also gives the serum it's serumy texture. What I don't know is if it helps the LAA to dissolve. My guess would be no, but I'm not sure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
1 gelcap of E would be good. That's your preservative so you could add a little more if you wanted and it wouldn't hurt.

PG is an emulsifier. Be sure to mix the E and the PG together before adding to the rest of the ingredients. It also gives the serum it's serumy texture. What I don't know is if it helps the LAA to dissolve. My guess would be no, but I'm not sure.

You are right the PG is an alternative to glycerin and doesn't do anything to dissolve the LAA. I read elsewhere of someone having a problem with their brand of LAA so they ground it against the side of the container with the back of a spoon to crush it a bit more and after that it dissolved in the warm water just fine. It may be worth a try?

5% products discount

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all
I'm new to this topic; after reading some of this I would love to make my own C serum too. Thank you for sharing. I decided to order some ingredient and wonder any Canadian out there where did you order your stuff?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Pan wrote:
Hi all
I'm new to this topic; after reading some of this I would love to make my own C serum too. Thank you for sharing. I decided to order some ingredient and wonder any Canadian out there where did you order your stuff?

Hi, and welcome! Smile

Here is the recipe index and near the bottom are lists of many suppliers.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH

5% products discount

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!
I need help. I ordered c-serum and find it feeling tacky after it dries. Is there something I can put in it to take this away? also, I have oily skin. Would that be why it feels tacky? My make-up feels heavy and my face feels dirty! Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me advice.

Bippie Confused
Bippie
5% products discount

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
This stuff has sodium lactate,deionized water, citric acid and potassium sorbate in it. Confused
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Bippie wrote:
This stuff has sodium lactate,deionized water, citric acid and potassium sorbate in it. Confused

That isn't the entire ingredient list is it?

5% products discount

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:26 am      Reply with quote
The L-ascorbic acid is also included. The serum is clear(which I know it should be) and the texture is like water.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 am      Reply with quote
You could use it an night, which is what I'm doing.

My routine: 3 times a week, in the evening I apply it to my face and neck. 3 times a week in the morning, I apply it to my chest, shoulders and upper back (everything I can reach). I'm really slathering it on because I want to use it before it oxidizes and the refill is relatively inexpensive.

Bippie wrote:
Hi everyone!
I need help. I ordered c-serum and find it feeling tacky after it dries. Is there something I can put in it to take this away? also, I have oily skin. Would that be why it feels tacky? My make-up feels heavy and my face feels dirty! Thanks in advance for anyone who can give me advice.

Bippie Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
1oz 15%, C, E + Ferulic

Will last 8 weeks or so.. It is very stable,
(The vit E, SKB + FA all make it very stable!)

What you need for 1oz C,E, Ferulic 15%;
- 2 glass shot glasses
- 1oz cobalt or amber dropper or pump bottle
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the FA so it's not gritty, and it also keeps the ph low enough!)

Kassy,

Do you think it would be ok if I added some Phloretin to your recipe?

Thanks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Quote:
1oz 15%, C, E + Ferulic

Will last 8 weeks or so.. It is very stable,
(The vit E, SKB + FA all make it very stable!)

What you need for 1oz C,E, Ferulic 15%;
- 2 glass shot glasses
- 1oz cobalt or amber dropper or pump bottle
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the FA so it's not gritty, and it also keeps the ph low enough!)

Kassy,

Do you think it would be ok if I added some Phloretin to your recipe?

Thanks.

You could add the 'phloretin' to just about any simple water based L-AA serum at a 2% concentration...

Why not follow Skinceuticals lead, and make yourself a DIY copycat version... Very Happy

- 2% Phloretin
- .5% Ferulic Acid
- 10% L-Ascorbic Acid
- 85% Distilled Water
- The remainder is a combination of Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol Denatured, Butylene Glycol and Triethyl Citrate.

Actually Skinceutical's has more than 10% each of the DG and AD, but for doing this fresh at home, I don't see any reason why the harsher chemical agents can't be cut down.

If I were making this I would use just enough butylene glycol to get the job done, a little vodka and citric acid. (Triethyl Citrate is an ester of Citric Acid.) In Skinceutical's formulation I have no doubt the CA is utilized to bring the pH down to probably 2.5

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bippie
5% products discount

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
You could use it an night, which is what I'm doing.

My routine: 3 times a week, in the evening I apply it to my face and neck. 3 times a week in the morning, I apply it to my chest, shoulders and upper back (everything I can reach). I'm really slathering it on because I want to use it before it oxidizes and the refill is relatively inexpensive.
Thank you so much for your help!
Bippie wrote:
Hi everyone!

Bippie Confused
Bippie
5% products discount

Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Nimue! Silly me didnt think to use it at night! I guess because I also use Retin-a. I will use it nightly Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |