Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Im going to make a 1oz 15% vit c serum using this GOW gel base.

distilled water, optiphen, hydroxyprophyl starch phosphate.

How much should I add of the following?
l ascorbic acid
ferulic acid
Hyaluronic Acid

erm is there anything else I should be doing? Thanks!

5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Very quick question for everyone :

I am making my 1oz 15% Vitamin C Serum (3/18/10) now

Glass 1: the L-AA has completely dissolved in the H20
Glass 2: vodka, Aloe, Jojoba, V E. also completely mixed

BUT... when I slowly incorporate the contents of both glasses together. They DO NOT mix, they are separated in to layers:

clear color at the bottom and creamy color floating on top

Please Help me:) what to do now, should I still use it?
katewilson
5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
by the way ,
I used 2tsp Aloe Vera Ge instead of SKB ( I forgot to order SKB)

CVS 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel: Tetrasodium EDTA

Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea.

the recipe is here:

1oz 15% Vitamin C Serum (3/18/10)

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
1 tsp SKB (Don't use more than 1 tsp, it's too tacky!)
1 tsp Aloe Vera Gel (or just use 2 aloe and leave out the SKB)
1/8th tsp Vitamin E
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
katewilson,

That is a common issue where oil and water don't mix. I would think your fastest remedy is to grab some pure lecithin at a health food store and blend it in it's a natural emulsifier. The other option that I know of is to order an emulsifier from a DIY supplier. Smile

HTH

5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Tank you so much DarkMoon Smile

Do you think if I get go grab a " Lecithin softgels 1200mg" from local vitamin store will work?

it is a dietary supplement, Other Ingredients:
Gelatin, glycerin, purified water. Contains Soy

Does Not Contain:
Yeast, Corn, Wheat, Sugar, Salt, Starch, Dairy, Citrus, Fish, Preservatives, Artificial Colors or Flavors Added.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
katewilson wrote:
Tank you so much DarkMoon Smile

Do you think if I get go grab a " Lecithin softgels 1200mg" from local vitamin store will work?

it is a dietary supplement, Other Ingredients:
Gelatin, glycerin, purified water. Contains Soy

Does Not Contain:
Yeast, Corn, Wheat, Sugar, Salt, Starch, Dairy, Citrus, Fish, Preservatives, Artificial Colors or Flavors Added.

In my personal opinion for this one batch or until you get the other ingredient you chose it should be just fine, there isn't anything in there that would cause any problems with your formula. Smile

5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Big Thanks Darkmoon, and I will just get that for this one.

By the way, if my stuff didn't mix, can I put it on my skin anyway, will it work or not?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
katewilson wrote:
Big Thanks Darkmoon, and I will just get that for this one.

By the way, if my stuff didn't mix, can I put it on my skin anyway, will it work or not?

I am not a fan of shaking as it introduces more oxygen which causes oxidation, but in this case I feel you can use it if you do shake it until it's mixed. Then once you incorporate the lecithin you won't need to shake it any more. Smile

IMHO

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
This is just my personal opinion - but I can't see any point in adding the Jojoba Oil to the Vitamin C serum. If you do want to do this you will need to add an emulsifier. If you want to use Jojoba Oil, I would just apply it after the Vitamin C serum has absorbed. You could just add a few drops of Vitamin E Oil to the serum (which is supposed to help with preservation).

5% products discount

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
HI DarkMoon,

I just want to give you one more BIG THANKS!

I got the Lecithin and add it in my serum and it worked.

So very very appreciated Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
katewilson wrote:
HI DarkMoon,

I just want to give you one more BIG THANKS!

I got the Lecithin and add it in my serum and it worked.

So very very appreciated Very Happy

You are very welcome, I am just happy it worked out for you! Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

can I just ask what is the quickest and easiest way to make distilled water? We used to be able to buy bottles of it from a pharmacy but can't anymore. Is the only way with kettles and stoves ?

thanks

Jackie xx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Hi Kate - You will be happy to know lecithin capsules were recommended by Kassy on the Dr. Kassy thread so you must've missed that one. Glad DM caught it and let you know.

Happy your formula went together - Yay!

Actually if you go back far enough on this very thread I know you will find that I recommended lecithin as an emulsifier quite a while before it was posted on the other thread. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi everyone,

can I just ask what is the quickest and easiest way to make distilled water? We used to be able to buy bottles of it from a pharmacy but can't anymore. Is the only way with kettles and stoves ?

thanks

Jackie xx

Hi Jackie,

Are you in the US? My grocery store carries distilled water as well as the drug stores, I had to use it for my dad's oxygen machine to keep the air moist. I haven't seen heard of it being difficult to find in the states only the UK? hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi Darkmoon,

i'm in the UK, and I can't find anywhere now,

Jackie xx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi Darkmoon,

i'm in the UK, and I can't find anywhere now,

Jackie xx

Oh sorry I know it's been an issue there, I think some have found a similar product carried at garages, it's used in radiators as I recall? I always wonder what is used in the UK for certain things that require the minerals removed from the water? Even my little clothes steamer takes distilled water! Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 am      Reply with quote
In Australia demineralised water is sold in the supermarket for putting in a steam iron.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
In Australia demineralised water is sold in the supermarket for putting in a steam iron.

Thanks Kelilu!

I am just about to jump start my brain with coffee and I could not think of what it was called, but I believe that's what's available in the UK also. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Is demineralised water the same as distilled then ? Could I use that if I can find it ?

Jackie x
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Is demineralised water the same as distilled then ? Could I use that if I can find it ?

Jackie x

I do believe it will be fine, that's the main reason for distilled water is the lack of minerals in the water you use. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 am      Reply with quote
thanks DM,

Jackie x
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
thanks DM,

Jackie x

Good luck Jackie, I think it is readily available there. Smile Keep us posted how it goes. Smile

5% products discount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I was having the same problem last week with not being able to mix the water and oil phases of my DIY Vitamin C, E + Ferulic acid serum, and I used polysorbate-80. It worked well, but is there an opinion among those more experienced than I about which emulsifier is best, lecithin or polysorbate-80, or something else?

I was adding jojoba oil to the serum, but even if I don't add that oil, the vitamin E is an oil and floats in a layer on top of the solution unless I use an emulfier. I would rather not shake it every time I apply because of the risk of oxidation, as DM has said. I used tocopherol, but is it better to use tocopherol acetate, and would that mix into the ferulic acid/vodka/propylene glycol without an emulsifier, or would I still need one if I didn't want to have to shake it up every time I use it?

What is the best emulfier, and how are you supposed to incorporate it? Does it go into the second shot glass (with the ferulic acid, vodka, propylene glycol, vit E acetate mixture), or into the water phase in the first shot glass (L-AA and distilled water). Does it matter?

The ferulic acid dissolves in ethanol and also in propylene glycol. If I use propylene glycol, would it be good to skip the ethanol, or does that add to stability, preservation, or skin penetration?

Thanks in advance!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I'm only about 1/3 thru this thread and was wondering if anyone uses a 1%HA serum instead of the glycerin?
havana8

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:

Jackie x

This How To shared by Damia on page 26 might be helpful if you still can't find it:

Damia's How to Distill Water:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=481581#481581

(It's also in the DIY Index near the bottom under "DIY How To".)

Good luck, Jackie!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |