Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 am      Reply with quote
Could I please ask you another question?

I want to get the LAA, but i am worried about it being acidic on my skin.

I have used AHA's/glycolic acid, retin A, in the past, and my skin is just way too sensitive for those products.

So do u think the acidic LAA would also be a bit too much for very sensitive skin?

Thanking you!

Storke
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am      Reply with quote
hello everyone!

can any of you canadian girls tell me where you get your L-Ascorbic Acid from, for DIY serums? it should be in the powder or crystal form, correct?

i'm so uncoordinated and i finally mustered up the courage to DIY serum... any help would be appreciated. Very Happy

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
Stork
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I went to my local health food store, and also checked at my pharmacy for LAA and all they had was ascorbic acid, nothing with LAA, which was disappointing, as I too want to make my own C serum
llina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
I went to my local health food store, and also checked at my pharmacy for LAA and all they had was ascorbic acid, nothing with LAA, which was disappointing, as I too want to make my own C serum

hey!
are you in canada too?
if you're in the states, i saw some members post online U.S. sources for LAA on pg 1 and 2 of this thread.
i don't think i saw a canadian source though.
hopefully someone comes along to point the direction for us.

i think we need ph readers too. i'm guessing we can get these from the pharmacy or the pet fish store.(?)

...someone help pleaseeee
Very Happy

to, cnd, 39, asian, dry&sensitive. products: valmont, givenchy, chanel, guerlain, dior, misc sothys&lush; mu: valmont, dior, chanel & mac; anti aging: diy facial massages, dr.ho's, assrt of EMS/TENS, wellbox, nuface, nuskin, tua viso, tua trend, babyQ, facemaster, oxylift, dermawand, life, suction, 8clarisonic, 2opal, magnassager, sonic,etc
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:

OK this might be counter to what some may say but all the research I have done says LAA and AA are the same, in order to be Vitamin C it has to be LAA whether the label states the L or not.
No fillers though! Just pure Ascorbic Acid.

Bulkactives ships out of Asia I don't know if shipping will be the same as to the states but it takes about 2 weeks from there to here.

http://www.bulkactives.com

Also at the bottom of the recipe index is a listing of suppliers and under Alley's A List is a sub listing of many suppliers. I hope this helps, may have to do a bit of searching for a Canadian supplier?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 9:24 am      Reply with quote
Stork,

The LAA serums are effective at a ph of 3.5 or lower so that is acidic. Smile you may want one of the oil soluble derivatives instead as they aren't ph dependant? Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 11:21 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:

Did your health food store carry the NOW brand Ascorbic acid? That's the first one I used, it was pure, make sure you get the one that does not have anything else in its ingredients. It took longer to dissolve in the water but be patient and stir. Also I never tried heating the water so that might help.

This is what it looks like
http://www.herbs-wholesale.com/AscorbicAcidPowder-23710.html
ammoniasmith
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
OK this might be counter to what some may say but all the research I have done says LAA and AA are the same, in order to be Vitamin C it has to be LAA whether the label states the L or not. No fillers though! Just pure Ascorbic Acid.

I agree with you. I have been saying the same thing for a while. The Vitamin C crystals available cheap at Trader Joe's is perfectly fine. It is $10 for 16 ounces.

Ascorbic Acid also called Vitamin C must be in the bioavailable form which is the L form. I get the feeling the Food and Drug Administration might have a problem if one tried to sell Vitamin C in another other form which is useless to the human body.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
ammoniasmith,

I have ordered pure Ascorbic Acid through my pharmacist in the past and also found it at my health food store and it is for human consumption. Smile I have been told that it's the same by a few pharmacists and a chemist so we agree on that! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the replies everyone!
will head out tomorrow for the supplies. i'm so excited...

EDS'ers ROCK! love you all!
peace out!

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
llina wrote:
thanks for the replies everyone!
will head out tomorrow for the supplies. i'm so excited...

EDS'ers ROCK! love you all!
peace out!

You are just too much BabyDoll! Have fun mixing up your new serum! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 24, 2010 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon

You are most kind to help us out! Thanks so much!

I am also off to purchase the ascorbic acid.

please tell me both of, (or anyone else who may want to chime in) what improvements have u seen by using the vit c serum (i.e. LAA /ascorbic acid diy serums posted here)

Thanks again Dark Moon and Iliana

Storke
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:

please tell me both of, (or anyone else who may want to chime in) what improvements have u seen by using the vit c serum (i.e. LAA /ascorbic acid diy serums posted here)

I need help with this, too.

I think I am over doing it? I made my serum, ad have been using once a day on retin-a days in the morning, and the nights I don't use retin-a, I've been using it twice a day.

Yesterday when I went to put it on at bedtime, I thought my skin felt different- sensitive to the touch, but it looked great.

This morning I was a bit flakey, so I used a micro cloth and then applied the serum (like I did the first day with no issues), and I got sick to my stomach from the stinging. I stood under a fan as long as I could bare it, then washed it off with cool water and applied emu oil.

I then added Neutrogena Helioplex face sunblock, and felt stinging again.

The only things I have done different is add the vitamin c serum, and add the neutrogena helioplex sunblock face???

Thoughts?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Gossamerwings,

IMHO I think twice a day is a bit much. If I understand correctly from what I have read, after you apply topical C it stays in your skin (and continues to work) for 72 hours. Personally, I use my C serum every other day. On the "off" days I use another antioxidant serum.

I have never had stinging to the point that you described - but everyone's sensitivites to products are different.

I did notice if I used too much/too often or did not rub in I got some blackheads. Now, using every other day I do not have that issue.

As far as impact, I did notice some initial brightening. I like to use it daily because any new freckles I pick up from the sun fade away pretty quick. I am really using it for prevention.

Hope that helps,
Emily

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for replying!

I thought of a third thing I am doing- hydroquinone- but I choose a 2% cream. However, this doesn't sting when I apply it, but from what I have read, it can cause increased skin sensitivity to other products.

I am going to quit the helioplex sunscreen. I burned so bad I had to wash it off. I have had stinging from other chemical sunscreens, I need to just switch to a physical. Neutrogena does have one.

I am going to switch the hydroquinone to every other night until I can see I have moved past the sensitivity side effect.

And, as you suggest, switch to every other day for the vitamin c serum until I can see visibly tolerance of this as well.

I think the culprit is the neutrogena helioplex, but, that the hydroquinone increased my sensitivity to it.
Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I woke up from my nap with my cheeks swollen. the only part of my face thats not pink or swollen is my upper eye lids- and guess what? I put vitamin c serum there. But *not* hydroquinone.

So apparently it (hydroquinone) increased my sensitivity to everything else. Sad

I guess I should back off the serum for two or three days. I slathered with a steroid/anti biotic cream prescribed for me by my dermatologist last month for the peri-oral dermatitis.

I am so depressed because I will be visiting with my best friend soon, and I hate for her to see me looking all crappy skinned when last week my dermatologist complimented me! I had been having "good skin" days for the past two weeks, and now I have screwed it up over stupid freckles!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings,

Why don't you just give all the "actives" a break and just keep it very simple until your skin calms down? Just use a mild cleanser and moisturiser for a few days and let it heal! I bet you will look awesome for your visit with your best friend! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, thats what I am going to do... I think it would burn too much to use anything. The redness has left most of my face- except for the top of my cheeks and thats swollen still... but it gives me hope I'll rebound quickly, hee hee.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
Yes, thats what I am going to do... I think it would burn too much to use anything. The redness has left most of my face- except for the top of my cheeks and thats swollen still... but it gives me hope I'll rebound quickly, hee hee.

Glad you sound better already! Smile Just take it slow when you add things back in, I think that is where problems pop up at times too many things too fast! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
Darkmoon

You are most kind to help us out! Thanks so much!

I am also off to purchase the ascorbic acid.

Thanks again Dark Moon and Iliana

Storke

DarkMoon is an angel, she is!

and some many super super nice members here on EDS.... they take the time and energy to guide the rest of us along. i wanna hug them all to pieces! Very Happy

storke, i think we'll probably be starting the c serum around the the same time frame. keep us updated with your progress!

summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 5:01 am      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
...I then added Neutrogena Helioplex face sunblock, and felt stinging again...

Hi,

I think it is because of retinoid.

Before using Retin-A nightly, I was fine with both Vit C (DIY) & Neutrogena.

Once I have started it nightly, both Vit C serum & Neutrogena burn me.

Now I use physical SS & stop using Vit C serum Crying or Very sad
gossamerwings
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Summer, I went by the pharmacy last night, and she said that it was the hydroquinone. She said my reaction was textbook. Sad She was just surprised that I had the reaction at 2%.

She said that normally they recommend to back off of everything but the hydroquinone until your skin becomes accustomed to it, but in my case she'd recommend throwing it out. Ha!

She said "You are lucky you didn't peel"

I woke up this morning scabby. So, not so lucky I guess.

I also tried the physical sunblock this morning and had burning all over again. I am going on a 9 hour car trip! I have to have sunblock on with this reaction (she did say that, too). So, we're going to just pick up straight zinc. I used it before when I have had a reaction and found it soothing. Diaper rash zinc cream.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 26, 2010 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Hi gossamerwings,

Do you have squalane, jojoba oil or emu oil?

If so, put any of those 3 oils after a mild cleanser.

Maybe it was just me, the irritation was subsided to a great extent after stop using retinoid & Vit C serum for 2 weeks.
lmere

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I bought vitamin c powder - turns out it is "acerola extract with a non-GMO maltodextrin as a drying agent." Will this form work? It states that it is not highly acidic and it is an entire c-complex...

thanks,

LM
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
gossamerwings wrote:
Summer, I went by the pharmacy last night, and she said that it was the hydroquinone. She said my reaction was textbook. Sad She was just surprised that I had the reaction at 2%.

She said that normally they recommend to back off of everything but the hydroquinone until your skin becomes accustomed to it, but in my case she'd recommend throwing it out. Ha!

She said "You are lucky you didn't peel"

I woke up this morning scabby. So, not so lucky I guess.

I also tried the physical sunblock this morning and had burning all over again. I am going on a 9 hour car trip! I have to have sunblock on with this reaction (she did say that, too). So, we're going to just pick up straight zinc. I used it before when I have had a reaction and found it soothing. Diaper rash zinc cream.

Hey,

for physical sunscreen, you have to try Burnout's Kids physical sunscreen.

http://burnoutsun.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BS&Product_Code=8000

This will heal your skin and it's also great aesthetically. If you can't get it in time,

I agree that using some kind of simple zinc cream is best to let your skin recover.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |