Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 am      Reply with quote
I've seen "HG" of skin care mentioned several times. What is HG??

And, what kind of results have you seen with Retin A and Vit. C serum? How long before you noticed the results? Did it make your skin clearer, less lines, less blemishes....? I have it all, so a decrease in any would certainly be welcome. I've been using Retin A for about a month, and aside from some nasty cystic acne the first few weeks, the likes of which I hadn't had in some time, I don't see any difference. No diminishment of lines, no lessening of melasma Sad I know it's not been long, but c'mon!
Anyway, so what kind of results are people getting with the C serum?

Thanks
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
HG stands for Holy Grail - it's an expression and generally means something you think is the best and don't want to be without.

I know we all want to see instant results but I think it takes time and dedication. There are no "quick fixes". It will take months for fine lines and melasma to fade. But don't get discouraged, I've seen an enormous improvement in my skin; refinement of skin texture, reduction of blackheads, pores less visible, lessening of fine lines and fading of age spots. If you want to hurry things along a bit, you might consider getting a Dermaroller.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,

I'd been thinking about jumping on the DIY train a while back, but then I found essentialwholesale.com, which is another supplier with pre-made serums, etc. So I've been using their Vit C serum and really liking it (seems to even be helping with my light acne), but it is orangish/yellowish/brownish -- a bad color I'm thinking in terms of oxidization! And it says the pH is 4.5-5.5 Question (http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/454.htm) In any case, while I've been liking it, I don't want to be doing more harm than good... I was just curious about what you think of the ingredient list/stability before I quit it and buy DIY ingredients instead. (Did I mention it's $5 for a 1 oz. sample?) Thanks for your help!

Ingredients/Technical Specs:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe Vera) Juice, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Ester), Vaccinium macrocarpon (Organic Cranberry) Extract, Rubus idaeus (Organic Red Raspberry) Extract, Vanccinum angustifoilium (Organic Wild Blueberry) Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Mannan, Salix nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
fiesta848

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,
I just found this awesome website and this is my first posting/reply. I just had a $250 facial that was supposed to be the Carita Lift Renovateur. I was all excited to finally try one of the new machine technologies only to find out that the spa doesn't actually have the machine and just uses the products. I feel it was a huge waste of my money (and false advertising) and am now ready to try DIY going forward for cleaner, toner, serum, scrub,etc. I don't want to spend a ton of money on products just for fancy packaging or for facials that I can do myself.

I keep myself educated on the newest research and products out there and believe in using the naturopathic method and organic ingredients. I know amino acids are the building blocks to great skin and I have been taking AA supplements to hopefully help reduce the wrinkles I have from sun damage. So far the wrinkles are the same, but my nails are much stronger, my energy level is up and my hair is shinier. So I know AA's work from the inside out, but do they work topically? My head spins with the number of products on the market so I'm not even sure what product line is best for me to use. I've been thinking, why not make my own product with all the ingredients from every product that I wish was already in one. Can you combine Vit A, C, E, K, B, collagen, elastin, amino acids, alpha hydroxy, beta hydroxy, glycolic acid, etc? If so, how? And where do you find these items for a product?
My skin type is fair to medium, combination skin which breaks out easily yet has dry areas, and has some loss of elasticity. I have the annoying forehead lines, some wrinkes near the eyes, and by my mouth when I smile. I get and have gotten lots of sun exposure as I love to be outside and don't always put sunscreen on. Smile Also, I'm noticing the skin on my legs is getting wrinkly, particulary around my knees.

Any information, suggestions, recipes, etc ya'all have for DIY cleaners, toners, scrubs, serums, masques, etc would be great.
Thanks and looking forward to great tips!
Lisa
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi fiesta84 and welcome to the Forum.

I suggest you take a look here - you will find allot of useful info on DIY:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

For starters, ingredients can be purchased from:
www.gardenofwisdom.com www.skinactives.com www.bulkactives.com www.cellbone.com www.thepersonalformulator.com
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Since ascorbic acid and citric acid are fairly far down in the ingredients lists, I think the primary vit C there is ascorbyl palmitate. I think that serum is orangy because of the rose hip oil and other ingredients in it. It looks good to me.

KBLang wrote:
Hi Ladies,

I'd been thinking about jumping on the DIY train a while back, but then I found essentialwholesale.com, which is another supplier with pre-made serums, etc. So I've been using their Vit C serum and really liking it (seems to even be helping with my light acne), but it is orangish/yellowish/brownish -- a bad color I'm thinking in terms of oxidization! And it says the pH is 4.5-5.5 Question (http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product_p/454.htm) In any case, while I've been liking it, I don't want to be doing more harm than good... I was just curious about what you think of the ingredient list/stability before I quit it and buy DIY ingredients instead. (Did I mention it's $5 for a 1 oz. sample?) Thanks for your help!

Ingredients/Technical Specs:
Aloe barbadensis (Organic Aloe Vera) Juice, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Rosa mosqueta (Rosehip) Seed Oil, Emulsifying Wax NF, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C Ester), Vaccinium macrocarpon (Organic Cranberry) Extract, Rubus idaeus (Organic Red Raspberry) Extract, Vanccinum angustifoilium (Organic Wild Blueberry) Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Phenoxyethanol, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Mannan, Salix nigra (Black Willowbark) Extract, Rosmarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Oleoresin, Azadirachta indica (Neem) Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Citric Acid

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Since ascorbic acid and citric acid are fairly far down in the ingredients lists, I think the primary vit C there is ascorbyl palmitate. I think that serum is orangy because of the rose hip oil and other ingredients in it. It looks good to me.

Thanks Nimue! For the price and convenience, this might be what I'll go with for now. I appreciate the input. Very Happy

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
havana8

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

Thanks so much. Can LAA go bad? I dont know how much Vit c powder to buy. I do want to get enough to last a while.

I bought two 4oz tubs from http://www.thepersonalformulator.com about 9 months ago, and I still have 1/3 left on the first one I opened..

I'd suggest that one 4oz tub will last quite a while, so just keep it refrigerated. It's when it's been formulated, that you really have to worry about oxidation.

Another good thing to know is that adding vitamin E oil at 1% to any of your formulations, will make it more stable. And it also works synergistically with C so it's a good thing.

Any time you can incorporate vitamins A, C + E together, it's a very good thing!

I just posted this in another thread, but what about these airless, reusable pump bottles? According to the instructions, once the liquid comes into contact with the pump mechanism, it activates the airless seal creating an oxygen barrier. Sounds perfect for DIY serums and potions.

Pitotubes
http://206.123.101.23/~pito/shoppingcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64
(cut & paste link to work)
http://www.pitotubes.com./instructions.html
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Havana8, those airless pump bottles sound like a good idea.

Regarding Ferulic Acid. I purchased some to add to my DIY Vitamin C serum and it now looks white and milky. Does anyone know if the Skinceuticals Vit C + Ferulic is a milky colour?
havana8

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, perfect for keeping air out but, of course I forgot that the L-AA serum is light sensitive, so Kassy was mentioning that you might want to wrap foil (or something) around those to also keep the light out.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

Regarding Ferulic Acid. I purchased some to add to my DIY Vitamin C serum and it now looks white and milky. Does anyone know if the Skinceuticals Vit C + Ferulic is a milky colour?

My SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic has a transparent colour, so I don't know what has happened during your lab experiment. hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Keliu wrote:

My SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic has a transparent colour, so I don't know what has happened during your lab experiment. hmm

The Ferulic Acid comes in a white powder form - it disolves in water but remains white. Oh well, my face hasn't fallen off yet! Thanks for your reply.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 am      Reply with quote
This thread is fantastic! I'm only half way down the first page and it's making me imagine all the homemade pills and potions I will one day sell in my little herbal shop.

*Keeps reading*
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
What do you all order the Sea Kelp Bioferment?

Thank you.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Suk Han wrote:
What do you all order the Sea Kelp Bioferment?

Do you mean where to we order it from? You can find it at:
www.gardenofwisdom.com www.ncnproskincare.com www.skinactives.com

If you mean what do we order it for:

It's supposed to be similar to the ingredient in Creme de la Mer. It's high in skin nutrients and can be added to other serums and creams. HTH.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question on this thread - but since it's about Vitamin C - I figure it's okay? < crossing fingers >

Anyway - I'm thinking about adding a Vitamin C serum to my morning routine (after reading that so many forum members do that) - but when I last got a facial - the esthetician said not to use Vitamin C during the day - because sunlight and Vitamin C would cause me to get brown spots.

Any truth to what she's saying? Can Vitamin C serums cause photo-sensitivity and pigmentation issues? (I'm fighting the pigmentation issues already - so don't want to compound the problem!)

Thanks in advance!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me asking this question on this thread - but since it's about Vitamin C - I figure it's okay? < crossing fingers >

Anyway - I'm thinking about adding a Vitamin C serum to my morning routine (after reading that so many forum members do that) - but when I last got a facial - the esthetician said not to use Vitamin C during the day - because sunlight and Vitamin C would cause me to get brown spots.

Any truth to what she's saying? Can Vitamin C serums cause photo-sensitivity and pigmentation issues? (I'm fighting the pigmentation issues already - so don't want to compound the problem!)

Thanks in advance!

She is completely wrong - Vitamin C is used in the morning because it helps with sun protection. It is also supposed to help diminish pigmentation, not cause it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
This is from cosmeticscop.com

vitamin C.

Considered a potent antioxidant for skin (Sources: Journal of Investigative Dermatology, February 2002, pages 372–379, and June 2001, pages 853–859; and Toxicology in Vitro, August–October 2001, pages 357–362). Claims that vitamin C can prevent or eliminate wrinkling are not proven. An article in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (January 2000, pages 464–465) discussed the issue of vitamin C and concluded that “Vitamin C is a valuable antioxidant and protectant against photodamage that is created by sunlight in both the UVB and UVA bands…. Although oral supplementation may also be useful, topical preparations are able to deliver a higher dosage to the needed area. Topical vitamin C does not absorb or block harmful ultraviolet radiation like a sunscreen. Instead, it augments the skin’s ability to neutralize reactive oxygen singlets [free-radical damage] that are created by the ultraviolet radiation, thereby preventing photodamage to the skin. It becomes an integral part of the skin and remains unaffected by bathing, exercise, clothing, or makeup. Used appropriately, topical vitamin C is an important adjunct to the use of sunscreens, an adjunctive treatment to lessen erythema [redness] in skin resurfacing, a helpful adjunct or an alternative to Retin-A in the treatment of fine wrinkles, and a stimulant to wound healing.” See Paula’s article, “Vitamin C ,” atwww.cosmeticscop.com.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Keliu,

Thanks so much for the response. It helps to have confirmation of what I've been reading - and thinking myself.

Guess I won't be going back to that woman for another facial - sounds like she doesn't know what she's really talking about...

< going back to using Vitamin C serum in the am again - yay! >
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu:

Sorry, I mean Where do you all order the Sea Kelp Bioferment?

Crying or Very sad
eekamouse

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone, I am new.
I am about to make a vitamin c serum, recipe below. I want to add vitamin a. I am curious how much retinyl I should add to this recipe:
1/4 tsp. L- ascorbic acid
5 mg. distilled water
5 ml. propylene glycol
thanks in advance!
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I have made the DIY Vitamin C Serum and love using it - such an affordable thing!

I use Retin-A also though - my question is: How and when to apply the Vitamin C & Retin-A. I have just been kind of slathering them on together at night before bed. But should I be separating them? Like using the Vitamin C serum in the morning and then the Retin-A in the evening OR can they be applied at the same time?

How do you all use them (timing) wise?

Thanks for any help!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
EZUltrasound wrote:
I have made the DIY Vitamin C Serum and love using it - such an affordable thing!

I use Retin-A also though - my question is: How and when to apply the Vitamin C & Retin-A. I have just been kind of slathering them on together at night before bed. But should I be separating them?

Vitamin C Serum in the A.M. on a very dry face, Retin A before bed on a very dry face!

Isn't it great having a great vitamin C serum for pennies on the dollar?.... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Definitely! I love the DIY - I can't believe how much companies charge for Vitamin C serums after making it so cheaply on my own o.O

I hear you with the dry face - I stupidly used the retin-a on my body last night and woke up this AM with red rashy dots all over - GEEZ! gotta be careful with this stuff!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
blesstd wrote:
I'm very interested in making my own Vit C serum.

[It's my version of Skinceuticals C, E + Ferulic, with a kick!...... Laughing

15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil

Kassy - This is great. It almost makes me want to make some Laughing
Actually I'm giving it serious thought.

A few questions:

Where do you get the amber bottles for this size you make up?

Have you ever used powdered MSM? Would this be about 1/4 teas worth?

Could not find ferulic acid - Is this a typical way it is packaged - in a vial? THe PSF site went to their home page - guess I'll havee to dig more.

Vitamin E oil - Is this something that can be purchased in almost any vitamin aisle?

Off to research.

Again thanks for offering your lotions and potions to us mere mortals who will struggle and pray to put something reasonably good together. (Me anyway).

Sis
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:10 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |