Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:10 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Rileygirl,

Thx for your clarification.

I will make one batch!

Good luck!
dancar3
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Alley,

Can you please tell me if you add the Kukui oil in place of the glycerine..if not, what? Also, how much and are there any additional steps to the recipe? Thanks!

Alley wrote:
I have to say on the DIY C-Serum my favourite is the c+e+ferulic with the Kukui oil. The texture is perfect, absorbs great and I think it is helping with some little spots I have developed. Very Happy
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Dancar3, here is the Kukui recipe that Kassy posted on another thread.

Kassy_A wrote:
Vitamin C Serum (Just about 20%)

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

To mix, use 2 shot glasses again;

#1 glass

LAA + MAP stirred into H20, then add Ferulic Acid and stir after the C has dissolved. (It will take about 15 or 20 minutes!) Stir frequently!

#2 glass

Add all other ingredients, stir well. Now add contents together a little at a time, stirring constantly.

Pour into a dark bottle and shake well.

ETA: .. THDA can be substituted for the MAP, but that would need to be added to glass #2 in the oil phase.

-----------------

I ordered some Kukui today. I'm not sure what gtts are but I was planning to use it in place of the glycerin. Here is a quote that I found about Kukui today.

"This oil has large amounts of vitamins A, C, and E each of which helps keep the skin healthy. Because of its healthy skin care properties kukui nut oil is a great ingredient to use within leave on products. Unlike some leave on products, it will not create a greasy film on your skin when applied!"

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I found this at http://www.allnurses.com

Back in the 1980's when I went to school

1ml (or 1cc) = 15-16 minums.

0.06 ml = 1 minum = 1 gtt [gtt stands for "drop"]

HTH
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 am      Reply with quote
dancar3 wrote:
Hi Alley,

Can you please tell me if you add the Kukui oil in place of the glycerine..if not, what? Also, how much and are there any additional steps to the recipe? Thanks!

Alley wrote:
I have to say on the DIY C-Serum my favourite is the c+e+ferulic with the Kukui oil. The texture is perfect, absorbs great and I think it is helping with some little spots I have developed. Very Happy

I used the formula as posted by Tonia.
HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 am      Reply with quote
mmjain wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O [/size]

-------------------------

After going through all 32 pages of this thread i am feeling comfortable to try the above recipe. Will have to wait for a few days for the ingredients to arrive.

One Question, My wife's skin is very oily so any other thing required to add to the above recipe.

I answered your PM in detail. Hope it helps!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mmjain

Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
mmjain wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O [/size]

-------------------------

After going through all 32 pages of this thread i am feeling comfortable to try the above recipe. Will have to wait for a few days for the ingredients to arrive.

One Question, My wife's skin is very oily so any other thing required to add to the above recipe.

I answered your PM in detail. Hope it helps!

Thanks for the help
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
So I'm out of Vit C serum as of this morning (it was my third homemade batch), and though I've re-read all the Vit C serum DIY threads in pursuit of answers, I still have a question about separation and consistency.

Here's the deal, I've gotten the DH to put something besides sunscreen on his face in the morning and then another potion at night. A little while ago I mixed up a semi-DIY serum with Juice Beauty (as always, thanks to Kassy for the help!) that he fell *in love* with--he wanted to use it morning and night, but I'd like us to use Vit C specifically at least once a day... But my Vit C serum always comes out really watery and it separates almost instantly after shaking (I followed the LAA plus jojoba oil version last time--and I stick right to the directions). I'm curious what I might be doing wrong... Do I really just need to buy a little mini motorized mixer from Amazon to make this work? Any suggestions on how else to thicken it up and make the consistency nicer? Glycerin is out because of the oilies... And Kassy's looks so much nicer than mine ever does! (http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474653#474653) Thanks for your advice ladies!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
The only question I can answer is you can get the little mixer (battery operated) for $20 at
http://www.makingcosmetics.com
or
http://www.lotioncrafters.com

I am sure there are other suppliers that will be suggested, those are 2 that pop to mind.

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have a recipe with just ascorbic acid, DI water and Hyaluronic Acid? If you do I will be so appreciative! Cool
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Shelly,Hope you don't mind me shortening your name!
Havana8 put together an index to all the DIY recipes on it you will find all the Vitamin C recipes posted, I don't know of one like you are requesting, but I haven't checked them all. I am posting the link here for you to look and see.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

someone may post one here for you but the index is good to have anyway.

HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:07 am      Reply with quote
shellybutorac,

I was reading through some posts from 2005 and a member named "quacko" posted this recipe which sounds like one you might be able to use:

quacko wrote:
I used this recipe from Lolli (posted here at DIY).
Here it is:
lolli wrote:
rosebud, I'm making my own with reversed osmosis water, Natural Source L-ascorbic acid and hyaluronic acid serum, I mix up 1/4 teaspoon of l-ascorbic crystals with 3/4 teaspoon water until dissolved then add a teaspoon of hyaluronic acid serum I think my formula is at about 12% vit c.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=51323#51323

I love reading those old posts - you learn that there's nothing new under the sun.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
The only question I can answer is you can get the little mixer (battery operated) for $20 at
http://www.makingcosmetics.com
or
http://www.lotioncrafters.com

I am sure there are other suppliers that will be suggested, those are 2 that pop to mind.

HTH
DM

Thanks, DM. Will this help with both separation and consistency issues you think? I'm wondering if I need to add more of a thicker ingredient to make it less watery... Anyone have experience with this?

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
The little blenders whip the ingredients so they thicken, but eventually will separate again.
I have never used the recipe, but are you sure you are measuring properly? Tsp. Should be filled then scraped until flat to get an accurate measurement as possible.
Just a thought.
BTW both sites are well below $20 I just figured with shipping rounded up.

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
thanks so much!
tracyjoy

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Alley, I do do my own glycolic peels myself (50%). I apply pretty generously to the face keeping away from the innermost part of the eye but on the outer edges. Leave of for 4-6 minutes and you do get a burning sensation, however cold water splashed on the face neutralizes the acid. Wash well and then I apply a very mild green tea moisturizer. I have found them really beneficial. I have however, used retin-a over a few years in the winter only so my skin is able to take this. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
So I'm out of Vit C serum as of this morning (it was my third homemade batch), and though I've re-read all the Vit C serum DIY threads in pursuit of answers, I still have a question about separation and consistency.

Here's the deal, I've gotten the DH to put something besides sunscreen on his face in the morning and then another potion at night. A little while ago I mixed up a semi-DIY serum with Juice Beauty (as always, thanks to Kassy for the help!) that he fell *in love* with--he wanted to use it morning and night, but I'd like us to use Vit C specifically at least once a day... But my Vit C serum always comes out really watery and it separates almost instantly after shaking (I followed the LAA plus jojoba oil version last time--and I stick right to the directions). I'm curious what I might be doing wrong... Do I really just need to buy a little mini motorized mixer from Amazon to make this work? Any suggestions on how else to thicken it up and make the consistency nicer? Glycerin is out because of the oilies... And Kassy's looks so much nicer than mine ever does! (http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474653#474653) Thanks for your advice ladies!

Mine comes out exactly how it is in the picture you linked, time after time. And no, I've never used a mixer for C serum.

Here's what will affect consistency and/or cause separation that I know of;

- anything other than distilled water
- using even a fraction too much vitamin C
- using ingredients/actives that aren't fresh, or have not been stored in dark/cool conditions (Keep in mind that heat + sun will degrade most things, and that includes all the while before it gets to our homes!)
- incorporating phase 1 + 2 together before each has been fully dissolved/mixed
- not thoroughly mixing the serum before transferring to a 1oz bottle
- making any changes to the proportions, or adding other ingredients

I do the recipe exactly how I described in the original post, and get the same result as you see in the picture, so I'm at a loss to help you figure it out.. Maybe the temperature and humidity of where we all live has something to do with it also.. (It's still in the mid 90's here in south Florida with humidity at 76%. I'll see if the consistency is different when I make it again next month when it gets cool.)

Personally, I prefer a thin/watery C serum, and like the thicker serums for when I use my antioxidants/oils.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
tracyjoy

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry for getting off C-serum topic guys...I am in the process of devising (with the help of a compounding pharmacist friend) a new recipe with basic L-ascorbic acid, msm, ferulic acid, renovage, snyCOLL, glycolic acid and niacimide..just want to get %'s correct and will post when done. Arrow

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Mine comes out exactly how it is in the picture you linked, time after time. And no, I've never used a mixer for C serum.

Here's what will affect consistency and/or cause separation that I know of;

- anything other than distilled water
- using even a fraction too much vitamin C
- using ingredients/actives that aren't fresh, or have not been stored in dark/cool conditions (Keep in mind that heat + sun will degrade most things, and that includes all the while before it gets to our homes!)
- incorporating phase 1 + 2 together before each has been fully dissolved/mixed
- not thoroughly mixing the serum before transferring to a 1oz bottle
- making any changes to the proportions, or adding other ingredients

I do the recipe exactly how I described in the original post, and get the same result as you see in the picture, so I'm at a loss to help you figure it out.. Maybe the temperature and humidity of where we all live has something to do with it also.. (It's still in the mid 90's here in south Florida with humidity at 76%. I'll see if the consistency is different when I make it again next month when it gets cool.)

Personally, I prefer a thin/watery C serum, and like the thicker serums for when I use my antioxidants/oils.

All righty--thanks for the advice Kassy! And DM, I'll check to make sure my measurements are on. I've stored everything in the fridge, but maybe I'm using to much Vit C. And it did *snow* here today in Pennsylvania (and it stuck!). Rolling Eyes Maybe temperature/humidity is an issue. It's also possible that I'm mixing phase 1 and 2 too quickly, so I'll try to watch those things next time. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again for your help!

Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 am      Reply with quote

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

I made this one last night and instead of a serum consistency, it came out more like a beautifully smooth cream. I actually like it but it doesn't work very well in my serum bottle. Confused

I was extremely meticulous in my measurements so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Do you think it would be OK to add a few drops of water? I know that will take the 20% down but I don't mind lowering it a bit.

I substituted Kukui oil for the glycerin and added 5 drops of licorice extract. Those things may have done it but Kukui is a pretty loose oil. I'm trying to come up with a mixture that will lighten my melasma.

By the way, my laa mixed within 10 minutes. The ferulic, on the other hand, is a real bear. I think something is wrong with my ferulic. It's a powder but it is full of hard clumps that I have trouble breaking up. Should I call the company and ask for a replacement? Should it be more like corn starch or baby powder? My oils are also giving me some grief. So, I've been pushing them through a tiny sieve with a tiny rubber spatula to get a smooth and creamy texture. That is working out nicely. Of course, I scrape the heck out of everything to make sure I don't lose any product.

Thank you for your opinions.

Tonia

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:04 am      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid

I made this one last night and instead of a serum consistency, it came out more like a beautifully smooth cream. I actually like it but it doesn't work very well in my serum bottle. Confused

I was extremely meticulous in my measurements so I'm not sure what I did wrong. Do you think it would be OK to add a few drops of water? I know that will take the 20% down but I don't mind lowering it a bit.

I substituted Kukui oil for the glycerin and added 5 drops of licorice extract. Those things may have done it but Kukui is a pretty loose oil. I'm trying to come up with a mixture that will lighten my melasma.

By the way, my laa mixed within 10 minutes. The ferulic, on the other hand, is a real bear. I think something is wrong with my ferulic. It's a powder but it is full of hard clumps that I have trouble breaking up. Should I call the company and ask for a replacement? Should it be more like corn starch or baby powder? My oils are also giving me some grief. So, I've been pushing them through a tiny sieve with a tiny rubber spatula to get a smooth and creamy texture. That is working out nicely. Of course, I scrape the heck out of everything to make sure I don't lose any product.

Thank you for your opinions.

Tonia

My version of this serum is creamy not watery but not thick like a cream. My very amateur guess is too much kukui oil.
As for the FA - best Kassy tip ever, put a couple of drops of vodka in and poof it dissolves like magic. Laughing
My FA is baby powder like not corn starchy...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Tonia,
Sorry this may have been over looked but the FA should not have hard lumps in it! I would contact the company and see if they can exchange it for you.
HTH
DM

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
As promised, here is my new Vit C serum which a compounding pharmacist friend helped make sure was balanced: It goes on smooth, absorbs well and is not sticky:
1tsp L-ascorbic
2 1/2 tsp distilled water
1/2 tsp vodka
6 drops Renovage
6 drops SnyColl
1 tsp Viterol A gel
6 drops evening primrose oil
6 drops Covi-Ox T 50 vitamin E blend
4 drops 50% glycolic acid
1/2 tsp Niacinamide powder
1 tsp MSM powder.

Add vit c, water, vodka till disolved. Add Syncoll, niacimide powder and msm powder. Set aside for 1/2 hour till all disolved.

Add renovage, evening primrose oil, Covi-Ox T and glycolic acide - mix well.

Add the 2 together and mix well. In dark bottle stored in dark, cool place. Use in am.

Enjoy!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

A couple months ago (I can't remember which thread) there was a discussion about the dissolve-ability of LAA from various suppliers. The general consensus was that the ones from Bulkactives and Lotioncrafter were of a finer quality but nobody could answer which of the 2 was better. Out of curiousity and boredom, I ordered LAA from both those companies and did a little comparison Laughing Laughing

In terms of texture, the "micronised" version from Lotioncrafter is the finest of the 2. It feels smooth like cornstarch, while the Bulkactives is just the teeniest grainier by comparison. In terms of ability to dissolve, I tried dissolving 1 tsp LAA in 1 tsp water and they both dissolved under 10 minutes which is good enough for me. And then I tried dissolving 1 tsp LAA in 1 tsp PSF Berry Beneficial Antioxidant Serum (I do this in the morning as my under-sunscreen AOX), and while the Bulkactives LAA needed slightly more stirring than the other one, both dissolved within 15 minutes.

So, I hope somebody finds this information useful.. Wink

PS, Actually I find the Lotioncrafter LAA so fine that I've started to dust a layer of the powder on top of my sunscreen, in replacement of the Jurlique silk dust which I usually use to combat the stickiness of sunscreen. Does anyone know if this might hinder the efficiency of sunscreen? Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Fat Swan,

I am not sure this is what you are looking for but John from Bulkactives joined and gave a lot of info on Vitamin C and answered a lot of questions. Maybe this will help,

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=35528&start=100

HTH
DM

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |