Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
oranges wrote:
EC413 wrote:
Well my question was completely skipped, lol.

But never mind, I already made the serum... but I will ask again, can I add a few drops of Emu or Grapeseed oil to it?

I'm not sure but I don't THINK it will work. LAA is soluble in water and water and oil don't mix so unless you mix the oil with an emulsifier such as Sea Kelp Bioferment (SKB) I don't think it will work.

Sorry, I 'skipped' it because I don't think the recipe you mentioned above will be at all effective... Crying or Very sad

This was Carekate's original Vitamin C Recipe which was first posted in 2005:

Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crystals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

This is the most standard C recipe and is the same as the one EC413 posted.

As Oranges pointed out, if you want to add an oil to the mix, you'll have to use an emulsifier to incorporate it. I wouldn't use Emu Oil though (I just think Emu Oil is best applied last on the skin after everything else).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, you could add a few drops of PURE lecithin as it's also sold as an emulsifier! I've not tested it but you can try about 4-5 drops and then see if you need more, it will alter the % but not by that much.

Keliu wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
oranges wrote:
EC413 wrote:
Well my question was completely skipped, lol.

But never mind, I already made the serum... but I will ask again, can I add a few drops of Emu or Grapeseed oil to it?

I'm not sure but I don't THINK it will work. LAA is soluble in water and water and oil don't mix so unless you mix the oil with an emulsifier such as Sea Kelp Bioferment (SKB) I don't think it will work.

Sorry, I 'skipped' it because I don't think the recipe you mentioned above will be at all effective... Crying or Very sad

This was Carekate's original Vitamin C Recipe which was first posted in 2005:

Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crystals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

This is the most standard C recipe and is the same as the one EC413 posted.

As Oranges pointed out, if you want to add an oil to the mix, you'll have to use an emulsifier to incorporate it. I wouldn't use Emu Oil though (I just think Emu Oil is best applied last on the skin after everything else).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Haha, don't know why I even asked if I could add oil, it's obvious it wouldnt mix with water! Sorry, dumb moment.

But anyways..Thank you Keliu and DarkMoon.

Do you guys happen to know what percentage vitamin C this serum is? (I could prob figure it out with simple math) I'm wondering if I should up the ascorbic acid a bit. Since the serum didn't irritate my skin too bad, I wonder if I could.
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 am      Reply with quote
EC413

I beleive it is 10%, it's the exact recipe found in the smartskincare info pack.

1/4 tsp vit. c
1 tsp water
1 tsp glycerin
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi ladies,

I wanted to make some Vitamin C spray to use with my dermaroller.
I was wondering where I can get l ascorbic acid in the UK? And glycerin?
Does anybody know? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find the post Confused
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you LAT! Is 10% good?

And Penta, I got my ascorbic acid on eBay, you can also get it online on Amazon, or you can maybe find it at Whole Food/Health Food stores.

You can definitely find it easily online, though.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Hi ladies,

I wanted to make some Vitamin C spray to use with my dermaroller.
I was wondering where I can get l ascorbic acid in the UK? And glycerin?
Does anybody know? Sorry if this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find the post Confused

Hi Penta!
Here is a link to the recipe index (thanks to Havana8) at the bottom are lists of suppliers including some in the UK Smile

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

HTH
DM

5% products discount

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
littlelotus wrote:
Hi all you DIYers! I'm going to try the C with jojoba oil, can't wait! I'm all ready to order a few things from GOW and wanted any recommendations for actives I can add straight to my day moisturizer that has an SPF of 30. Also, I use Retin A micro every other pm and use a night cream on my off nights. What could I add to it to "beef" it up a little? My concerns are, sun spots and some wrinkling. Thanks so much!! Oh, and has anyone tried the 1oz amber glass bottles with treatment pump from GOW? Would these work for the C serum? Thanks again!

Can anyone help?...or would it be better to ask in a new thread instead of this one? Does everyone else just use an amber bottle with a dropper instead of using a treatment pump for their vit C serum? Thanks if you can help!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Most everyone uses the dark amber or cobalt blue(cost more) since making small batches, the only other I might suggest are the airless pump bottles! But the dropper bottles are fine for a small recipe, keep out of light and close as soon as possible to avoid exposure to air, refrigerate for added preservation that's my experience anyway!

HTH
DM Smile

littlelotus wrote:
littlelotus wrote:
Hi all you DIYers! I'm going to try the C with jojoba oil, can't wait! I'm all ready to order a few things from GOW and wanted any recommendations for actives I can add straight to my day moisturizer that has an SPF of 30. Also, I use Retin A micro every other pm and use a night cream on my off nights. What could I add to it to "beef" it up a little? My concerns are, sun spots and some wrinkling. Thanks so much!! Oh, and has anyone tried the 1oz amber glass bottles with treatment pump from GOW? Would these work for the C serum? Thanks again!

Can anyone help?...or would it be better to ask in a new thread instead of this one? Does everyone else just use an amber bottle with a dropper instead of using a treatment pump for their vit C serum? Thanks if you can help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
littlelotus wrote:

I think most people use an amber dropper bottle but I'm sure the GOW ones will be find.

In regard to the actives: I would just browse a few websites such aswww.skinactives.com orwww.bulkactives.com and have a look at all their products to see which ones suit your needs. The websites also provide instructions on how to mix the actives into a base cream or lotion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, I've been using your C+E+ferulic+jojoba serum for ages now and just am lovin the heck out of it!!! So nice!
The recipe has actually taken on a life of its own on *another* forum. LOL!

My question is: have you used VitaC Stable AAP? Read here:
http://www.theherbarie.com/VitaC-Stable-AAP-pr-440.html

What do you think of it? I'm looking into it after I use up the LAA that I have. Just interested in your input!!

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:13 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Kassy, I've been using your C+E+ferulic+jojoba serum for ages now and just am lovin the heck out of it!!! So nice!

What do you think of it? I'm looking into it after I use up the LAA that I have. Just interested in your input!!

Very Happy

Well howdy stranger! Glad you guys are loving the serum, I haven't posted there in ages, but pop in to read from time to time.

I haven't used the vita C Stable, because I'm a die hard L-AA fan. Besides, since I haven't had any oxidation problems with the DIY serums, I can't in good conscience just settle for an ester.. Doesn't make sense to me, to go one step forward and two steps back. (I like the 5, 6, and 7 steps forward better... Very Happy )

Why don't you do a little experiment and use both the ester form and L-AA in a serum. Couldn't hurt, and maybe there will be a synergistic effect combining both. They are both water soluble, and if you use L-AA with it, that will reduce the pH a bit, and it might be luverly. You can easily add the 1% without changing anything else. Or you could bring the L-AA down to 10%. (But you're rhino hyde like me, so I'm sure you'll go for the full whamo.. Laughing )

If you decide to just use it on it's own in a serum, let me know what you think after a month(ish)... Just keep in mind that anything other than L-AA must be converted to L-AA before you derive benefits from it... (Much the same as retinol products having to convert to retinoic acid at the cellular level, before they are beneficial.)

Say hello to the gang for me... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys! Very Happy
LAT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 am      Reply with quote
EC413

10% is fine to start with Smile

This is a very basic recipe but you can switch it up a bit or add to it.

If you don't like the glycerin, you can use any base cream in place of it.

You could even just use the vit. c and distilled water alone and use it as a spritz.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
fawnie wrote:

Very Happy

Well howdy stranger! Glad you guys are loving the serum, I haven't posted there in ages, but pop in to read from time to time.

I haven't used the vita C Stable, because I'm a die hard L-AA fan. Besides, since I haven't had any oxidation problems with the DIY serums, I can't in good conscience just settle for an ester.. Doesn't make sense to me, to go one step forward and two steps back. (I like the 5, 6, and 7 steps forward better... Very Happy )

Why don't you do a little experiment and use both the ester form and L-AA in a serum. Couldn't hurt, and maybe there will be a synergistic effect combining both. They are both water soluble, and if you use L-AA with it, that will reduce the pH a bit, and it might be luverly. You can easily add the 1% without changing anything else. Or you could bring the L-AA down to 10%. (But you're rhino hyde like me, so I'm sure you'll go for the full whamo.. Laughing )

If you decide to just use it on it's own in a serum, let me know what you think after a month(ish)... Just keep in mind that anything other than L-AA must be converted to L-AA before you derive benefits from it... (Much the same as retinol products having to convert to retinoic acid at the cellular level, before they are beneficial.)

Say hello to the gang for me... Very Happy

Roger. Wilco!
I will do that Kassy!
I love the LAA serum too, but you know us DIYers: always "tweaking" it!
thanks for the consult!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
[Roger. Wilco!
I will do that Kassy!
I love the LAA serum too, but you know us DIYers: always "tweaking" it!
thanks for the consult!!

Now that's what it's all about 'fawnster', take something good and make it even better...

Let us know how you like the new ester, whether it be as a stand alone serum, or added to L-AA.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
I wonder why the recommended usage of Vit C Stable AAP is only 1% - does this mean it's very potent? I'll have to do some more research into this active.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I wonder why the recommended usage of Vit C Stable AAP is only 1% - does this mean it's very potent? I'll have to do some more research into this active.

There really isn't much information to be had except from the seller, it hasn't been FDA approved from what I can find so far! Maybe you will have better luck Kelilu!

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/cosmetics/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.details&id=54582

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101207891/Vitagen_Inci_Name_Aminopropyl_Ascorbyl_Phosphate_.html

DM hmm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Good question Keliu. I hope you will find something to enlighten us. - I checked it out too DM. Nada.

I'd rather have Kassy's opinion anyway. Laughing The FDA tends to be a little slow on the draw with most things in the last 10 years if you know what I mean.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:48 am      Reply with quote
That's somewhat of a moot point in my opinion
as there isn't much information to be found at all about this except from a seller (who I have no issue with!), I don't see how a valid opinion can be formed on it's effectiveness? It ends up as a shot in the dark trying it until more valid information can be found!

Just my opinion!

DM Smile

sister sweets wrote:
Good question Keliu. I hope you will find something to enlighten us. - I checked it out too DM. Nada.

I'd rather have Kassy's opinion anyway. Laughing The FDA tends to be a little slow on the draw with most things in the last 10 years if you know what I mean.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.in-cosmeticsasia.com/ExhibitorLibrary/283/VitagenAminopropyl_Ascorbyl_Phosphate_ENG_2.pdf

For what it's worth ... I wouldn't use this ingredient in combination with L-AA, not would I even formulate with it. But the choice is yours to make (and of course you are free to take advice from whomever you trust!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
http://www.in-cosmeticsasia.com/ExhibitorLibrary/283/VitagenAminopropyl_Ascorbyl_Phosphate_ENG_2.pdf

For what it's worth ... I wouldn't use this ingredient in combination with L-AA, not would I even formulate with it. But the choice is yours to make (and of course you are free to take advice from whomever you trust!)

Just wondering why you wouldn't formulate with it, Lacy. (I have some I bought awhile back.)
*mirjana*
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,
what do you think about this?
I couldn't understand in fact what type of vit C is about...but it seems to me good concept?

Vit C in the sachet and bottle with some fluid to mix in.

http://www.vichyconsult.co.uk/products-AQNS0001/moisturisation/aqualia-anti-ox/aqualia-anti-ox-new-skin-deoxidising-fresh-cure.aspx

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

Just wondering why you wouldn't formulate with it, Lacy. (I have some I bought awhile back.)

Me too!!! Great find BTW.

And what was with the images of all those well-known products at the end of the paper - do they have the AAP in them or are they suggesting that they would be perfect candidates for the addition of it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

And what was with the images of all those well-known products at the end of the paper - do they have the AAP in them or are they suggesting that they would be perfect candidates for the addition of it?

Those products have the AAP in the ingredient list. There are a few other products that use that form of C, DDF has something that uses it, as well.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |