Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
SkinDeep38 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Kassy. It's just something I hadn't thought of and I will avoid using metal and find some other use for the steel spatulas I ordered... lol

Ya know, it's probably okay, but the best thing is maybe researching it a bit. I'd love to know if you find anything definitive.

What about shooting off an email to the place you bought your stainless utensils? Hopefully they would be honest, if you asked if 'they are contraindicated to formulating with acids'.

Keep us posted!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
SkinDeep38
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
That's a great idea.. I wouldn't think they would sell the product if there was a problem so I'll email and let you know what they say.

Thanks!

38 fair skin,oily, hormonal acne, rosacea...trying to combat facial sagging and skin damage on arms and legs. Currently using a Microdermabrasion machine, Pro High Frequency Device, Faceworks facial exercises, Tua Viso, and AALS.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
SkinDeep38 wrote:
That's a great idea.. I wouldn't think they would sell the product if there was a problem so I'll email and let you know what they say.

Thanks!

Thanks for doing that SkinDeep
I have searched various scientific studies on stainless steel and LAA reacting, with a result of about 50/50 results on the opinions of the experts. Smile

Kassy Glad the mesh bag idea helped, most of us have them around if we have kids/grand-kids so may as well find a good use for them. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Well I got a super quick response... and this was it

"No problem at all – their stainless steel. I would not leave any stainless sitting overnight in acidic ingredients, but otherwise, no problem."

She didn't go into much explanation though...

On a side note.. I have been thoroughly impressed with both Specialty bottles and Lotioncrafters.. I placed my orders yesterday and both sent me shipping confirmations just a few hours later..great turnaround!

38 fair skin,oily, hormonal acne, rosacea...trying to combat facial sagging and skin damage on arms and legs. Currently using a Microdermabrasion machine, Pro High Frequency Device, Faceworks facial exercises, Tua Viso, and AALS.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SkinDeep38 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for doing that SkinDeep
I have searched various scientific studies on stainless steel and LAA reacting, with a result of about 50/50 results on the opinions of the experts. Smile

Kassy Glad the mesh bag idea helped, most of us have them around if we have kids/grand-kids so may as well find a good use for them. Smile

So as usual, we are left to our own devices... Laughing What else is new? 50/50 leaves us back to square one..

I guess it's best to just err on the side of caution, and avoid 'metal' for stirring it all up.

The mesh bag is perfect! I just ransacked my linen closet and found the one's I used for my little Nicky boy's bottles a few years ago...(I knew they would come in handy some day Very Happy , and yes I'm a pack rat Embarassed )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
SkinDeep38 wrote:
Well I got a super quick response... and this was it

"No problem at all – their stainless steel. I would not leave any stainless sitting overnight in acidic ingredients, but otherwise, no problem."

She didn't go into much explanation though...

On a side note.. I have been thoroughly impressed with both Specialty bottles and Lotioncrafters.. I placed my orders yesterday and both sent me shipping confirmations just a few hours later..great turnaround!

I think it comes down to just how short a time the stainless is in contact as in a quick measuring or mixing?

They are both very good with orders and keeping you informed about your orders, I agree I have always been happy with my purchases from them. Smile

5% products discount

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know what type of ascorbic acid is in Natural Factors Vitamin C Crystals Powder?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
april_rain wrote:
Does anyone know what type of ascorbic acid is in Natural Factors Vitamin C Crystals Powder?

Here is the information from their site. I think it's Ascorbic Acid not LAA

http://naturalfactors.com/ca/en/products/281/vitamin-c-crystals

Ingredients

Each serving (1/4 tsp) contains:
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid).............................1200 mg
1/4 tsp (1 g) is equivalent to 1000 mg of vitamin C
Dosage

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry couldn't get back fast enough more from the site, they have contact information on the about us portion of their site but it won't copy for me to post, you might email and ask the company directly.

Also Available in:

Vitamin C Crystals 125 g Powder (Code: 1360)
Vitamin C Crystals 250 g Powder (Code: 1361)
Vitamin C Crystals 1 kg Powder (Code: 1363)

5% products discount

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've emailed them, so hopefully they will reply with an answer. In the mean time, I found a posting on another forum where someone wrote that they talked to the company and was told that it is pure l-ascorbic acid...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
april_rain wrote:
I've emailed them, so hopefully they will reply with an answer. In the mean time, I found a posting on another forum where someone wrote that they talked to the company and was told that it is pure l-ascorbic acid...

Hopefully they get back to you quickly, it never hurts to double check. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Should we use plastic utensils to mix?

Curent Regime: Cosmetic Skin Solutions CE Ferulic and Phloretin/ Revale Intensive Serum / NIA 24 Intensive Recovery Complex cream / Jojoba and Squalane oils / Avene Emulsion SPF 50 & Prevage City Smart SPF 50 / Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0/ Dermaroller / Facial exercises
Y34963
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
I use little wooden popcycle sticks and throw them away after each use (of course recycle them). You can buy 100 of them for $1.00.
vasilenka
5% products discount

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
All of you are amazing.
I am very new, in fact i discovered this forum2 days ago, and i have read everything up to page 20, i am going to read the rest as well. and i am planning on reading the whole forum lol Smile

my question though.
I am 22 years old female, and i was wondering am i too young to do the famous vitamin C serum from page 8? I am going to do it for my parents, but for myself?
I have combination skin, and occasional acne, and acne red marks left.
I also recently started doing chemical peel have done only one so far, will do another one soon. Also i am going to read everything about the dermaroller.

But for now, please advice me on what i can do for my skin and my age?

I use jojoba oil as eye make up remover, i use emu oil as a moisturizer if i need, i use sunscreen, i use pro biotic soap as a face wash. I wanted to make a good serum with vitamin C and antioxidants and i am asking you for advice Smile

Kassy i know you are the expert Smile would love to hear your input as well Smile
vasilenka
5% products discount

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to add,
i am originally from Bulgaria, so i use Bulgarian Rose water everyday as a toner,

I also use Retin A to calm my acne.. Wink

So any advice on what lotion i can make for myself, or a reguime to follow?

Something to help with the large pores, acne, and the acne red marks.
april_rain
5% products discount

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Just in case anyone wanted to know, here is the reply I just got in response to my inquiry about Natural Factors vitamin C crystal powder:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Natural Factors Vitamin C products;
we appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Natural Factors uses the L form (enantiomer) of ascorbic acid. The L
enantiomer is the only form of ascorbate that can be considered 'vitamin
C'.

[...]

We hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further
questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

CUSTOMER SERVICE

NATURAL FACTORS

Isn't nice when a company not only replies in a timely manner to an online inquiry but also actually answers your question? Smile
havana8

Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
re-posting for tankcandy

tankcandy wrote:
Do you guys think it is ok to replace distilled water with aloe Vera gel? I found one organic aloe Vera gel at a local health store. Ingredients for this gel is: "99.5% Certified organic aloe vera, purified water, less than 1% of the following natural sources: carrageenan (thickening agent), citric acid (oxidation inhibitor), potassium sorbate (mold inhibitor)."

And because this Aloe Vera gel has oxidation inhibitor and mold inhibitor, does that mean the vitamin C serum made by this will last longer?

Thanks for help
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
tankcandy wrote:
Do you guys think it is ok to replace distilled water with aloe Vera gel? I found one organic aloe Vera gel at a local health store. Ingredients for this gel is: "99.5% Certified organic aloe vera, purified water, less than 1% of the following natural sources: carrageenan (thickening agent), citric acid (oxidation inhibitor), potassium sorbate (mold inhibitor)."

And because this Aloe Vera gel has oxidation inhibitor and mold inhibitor, does that mean the vitamin C serum made by this will last longer?

Thanks for help

Is this a true "aloe gel" for skin, or is it "aloe juice" for oral consumption? I ask because the thickener and preservatives in it are 'food grade'.

Because of the thickening agent used (carrageenan), you will want to mix your L-AA into a tsp or so of distilled water, and only then mix it into the aloe base. (If not, your lovely gel consistency will get quite liquid.)

I'd also check the pH when your finished whipping this up, because even with 15% vitamin C added, the pH still might not be low enough in your finished product. (2.5 pH is optimal, but as long as it's under 3.5 it should penetrate.) Lower is better though.

I have no idea how long it will remain stable.

Hope you share how it all works out with us..

SkinDeep38
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 am      Reply with quote
So, I received all my supplies and made my first batch of Carekate's C serum recipe using distilled water and propylene glycol. Should it be the consistency of a liquid? I am assuming it should b/c I used 2 liquidy substances but it just doesn't feel like a serum to me...I guess I'm used to something with a thicker consistency and I want to make sure I'm mixing it right.

Thanks

Catie
5% products discount

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have attempted a few batches of Dr Kassy's C,E, + Ferulic serums, and mostly I have been very happy with them, but I am still such a novice and I don't know what I am doing yet. The serum with SKB was great, but then I tried the recipe with jojoba oil. It mixed up nicely into a lovely whitish serum. However, when I let it sit in the bottle for a few minutes, it separated and the oil layer floated on top. Is this normal?

I then added a little polysorbate-80 and mixed it up again, and it seems to have emulsified it well. Now, it looks and feels like a wonderfully smooth serum, but is it OK that I added polysorbate-80? I am not sure if it is compatible with L-AA and the other ingredients (ferulic acid, SKB, glycerin, vodka, vit E oil) and I don't want to de-stabilise the vitamin C or create free radicals.

Has anyone done this before and does anyone have any advice? If it's better not to add the polysorbate-80, is there another emulsifier that is safe to use with Vit C,E + Ferulic and jojoba oil, or should I skip the jojoba oil or use less of it? I am not sure what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance to all, and especially to Kassy for sharing so many fantastic recipes. I am loving DIY skincare so far! Smile
Zoftig
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Catie,
Kassy has said that adding the polysorbate 80 would be fine in any of her C recipes. It was at 2% for the recipe I'm doing. Her post was in the Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream thread.
HTH
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
the aloe vera sounds interesting

5% products discount

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Zoftig Smile
Bippie
5% products discount

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to get rid of facial spider veins? I just read vitamin K is good. Wanted everyones imput before I purchase the K cream.
Thank you & God Bless
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:48 am      Reply with quote
Bippie wrote:
Does anyone know how to get rid of facial spider veins? I just read vitamin K is good. Wanted everyones imput before I purchase the K cream.
Thank you & God Bless

Vitamin K supposedly helps strengthen the capillary wall. But no topical is going to get rid of spider veins.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |