Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
anybody use real aloe vera plant in their vit. c serums? I have a plant at home and am thinking of using it in my homemade vitamin c serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
also for basic vit c serum, anyone substitute vegetable glycerin instead of glycerin?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
anybody use real aloe vera plant in their vit. c serums? I have a plant at home and am thinking of using it in my homemade vitamin c serum.

I've thought of this, but haven't tried it. My aloe plant is pretty sickly looking (I just don't have a green thumb). I do use purchased aloe gel in my vit c.

There were a couple of threads on Skin Care Talk a while back about using the gel from the plant. If you've not seen them, here are the links:

http://www.skincaretalk.com/diy-skin-care/13025-sea-kelp-bioferment.html#post181905

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-aging/15103-best-antioxidants.html#post230972
Mirielle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
I use an 99% Aloe Vera gel and mix it with some moisturizing oils and vitamin c for more moisture. It seems to be working
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
also for basic vit c serum, anyone substitute vegetable glycerin instead of glycerin?

BCgirl,

I only ever buy and use vegetable glycerin. I find it easily at any health food store, but it's available at most online suppliers. Smile

5% products discount

Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
This is my first post here on EDS but I have been lurking for a couple of months now. Such a great wealth of knowledge here!

I was inspired to try making one of Kassy's DIY Vit C serums (thank you Kassy!) and ordered my ingredients from lotioncrafters. I'm not sure though that I ordered the right thing. Can anyone confirm if the Vitamin E and SKB are supposed to be non-powder form? The ones that I ended up getting were kind of gel-like and for some reason I thought all of the ingredients except the distilled water and vodka are in powder form.

This is the recipe that I was going to try :

1oz 15%, C, E + Ferulic

Will last 8 weeks or so.. It is very stable,
(The vit E, SKB + FA all make it very stable!)

What you need for 1oz C,E, Ferulic 15%;
- 2 glass shot glasses
- 1oz cobalt or amber dropper or pump bottle
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the FA so
it's not gritty, and it also keeps the ph low enough!)

Also, I am 38, Asian, have pale, sensitive, dry skin, not much acne except for TOM acne. I have some forehead wrinkling and fine lines around the eyes, 11s are getting more prominent. I got several bad sunburns as a kid which I think has effected my skin and dried it out. Is there anything else I should add that would make this more catered to my skin condition/type? I'm worried that it will dry out my skin or make it red. I will probably need to moisturize after letting the serum sink in. I'm using the TNS Essential Serum right now and it makes my skin feel pretty tight and I hate the wait time necessary before moisturizing. I want to supplement the TNS with the Vit C.

Didn't expect this to be so long but would appreciate any advice! Thanks again!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
dustyrose wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the Vitamin E and SKB are supposed to be non-powder form? The ones that I ended up getting were kind of gel-like and for some reason I thought all of the ingredients except the distilled water and vodka are in powder form.

Hi dustyrose - Welcome! Yes, the SKB is a gel. And the vit E is usually an oil, so it may look gel-like in the container.

I use this recipe all the time and love it. I do add a 1/4 teas of Hyaluronic acid to mine (in place of 1/4 teas of the vodka; I only use 1/4 teas vodka to dissolve the FA and that works), but you don't have to do that. It makes the serum a bit thicker.

Other than that, I wouldn't change the recipe too much as you don't want to affect the PH. It needs to be around 3.0 PH to be effective.
dustyrose
5% products discount

Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
dustyrose wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the Vitamin E and SKB are supposed to be non-powder form? The ones that I ended up getting were kind of gel-like and for some reason I thought all of the ingredients except the distilled water and vodka are in powder form.

Hi dustyrose - Welcome! Yes, the SKB is a gel. And the vit E is usually an oil, so it may look gel-like in the container.

I use this recipe all the time and love it. I do add a 1/4 teas of Hyaluronic acid to mine (in place of 1/4 teas of the vodka; I only use 1/4 teas vodka to dissolve the FA and that works), but you don't have to do that. It makes the serum a bit thicker.

Other than that, I wouldn't change the recipe too much as you don't want to affect the PH. It needs to be around 3.0 PH to be effective.

Whew, thanks so much for your reply Shastagirl!! I am so glad to hear that I did get the right things. I guess I'll try the recipe as is and see how it goes since I didn't order any Hyaluronic acid but will keep that as a note for future reference. I did buy pH strips as well just so I could make sure that I did have the right pH and just because it sounds like fun mad scientist thing to do Very Happy

5% products discount

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:03 am      Reply with quote
So I finally made Kassy's DIY serum (yay!) and had two questions. It looks like the serum has a pH of 2. Is this ok to use? I know it should be around a pH of 3. What is the ideal pH range that should be ok?

Also, I wasn't able to get the serum fully mixed - the Vitamin E and SKB didn't seem to mix completely. It is quite clumpy. Is this ok? Any tips on getting these two ingredients more fully incorporated?

I'm really excited that I made this myself. I ordered from lotioncrafters and their CS was excellent. They included some freebies that were really helpful - stirring rod, small measuring cup and some plastic droppers.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
dustyrose wrote:
So I finally made Kassy's DIY serum (yay!) and had two questions. It looks like the serum has a pH of 2. Is this ok to use? I know it should be around a pH of 3. What is the ideal pH range that should be ok?

Also, I wasn't able to get the serum fully mixed - the Vitamin E and SKB didn't seem to mix completely. It is quite clumpy. Is this ok? Any tips on getting these two ingredients more fully incorporated?

I'm really excited that I made this myself. I ordered from lotioncrafters and their CS was excellent. They included some freebies that were really helpful - stirring rod, small measuring cup and some plastic droppers.

Glad you had a chance to make this. It is such a nice serum (and sooo much cheaper than buying it).

On the PH, between 2-3 is typical. Mine is usually closer to 3, but I use aloe for some of the SKB, so that may alter it.

Sometimes the E and SKB do settle at the top. Shake it before you use it. It could be clumpy if your ferulic didn't totally dissolve. Using the vodka helps that, but some brands of ferulic seem to be more problematic than others.

Sounds like you're another DIY convert! Very Happy
dustyrose
5% products discount

Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
dustyrose wrote:

Glad you had a chance to make this. It is such a nice serum (and sooo much cheaper than buying it).

On the PH, between 2-3 is typical. Mine is usually closer to 3, but I use aloe for some of the SKB, so that may alter it.

Sometimes the E and SKB do settle at the top. Shake it before you use it. It could be clumpy if your ferulic didn't totally dissolve. Using the vodka helps that, but some brands of ferulic seem to be more problematic than others.

Sounds like you're another DIY convert! Very Happy

I am definitely on the DIY C train...full speed ahead! I love the fact that I can make it fresh and yes much much more economical esp since I am spending quite on bit on TNS essential serum Shock .

Is there anything that I can tweak next time to get the serum closer to pH 3 - would adding a bit more or a bit less of one of the ingredients help? I'd prefer not to have to buy another ingredient if possible.

I have been shaking the serum before use to try and get everything to mix together. So I'll keep on doing that and next time pay a bit more attention to the ferulic. I got my ferulic from lotioncrafters. Do you have a rec for a better brand to use?

Thanks for your help Shastagirl with my DIY efforts Smile!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Crossposting as I think this may be helpful for those who aren't tolerating the higher percentages of Vitamin C. Smile

Found this very interesting especially for those with sensitive skin!

Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical, topographical and ultrastructural evaluation: double-blind study vs. placebo.
Humbert PG, Haftek M, Creidi P, Lapière C, Nusgens B, Richard A, Schmitt D, Rougier A, Zahouani H.

Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.
Abstract
Vitamin C is known for its antioxidant potential and activity in the collagen biosynthetic pathway. Photoprotective properties of topically applied vitamin C have also been demonstrated, placing this molecule as a potential candidate for use in the prevention and treatment of skin ageing. A topically applied cream containing 5% vitamin C and its excipient were tested on healthy female volunteers presenting with photoaged skin on their low-neck and arms in view to evaluate efficacy and safety of such treatment. A double-blind, randomized trial was performed over a 6-month period, comparing the action of the vitamin C cream vs. excipient on photoaged skin. Clinical assessments included evaluation at the beginning and after 3 and 6 months of daily treatment. They were performed by the investigator and compared with the volunteer self assessment. Skin relief parameters were determined on silicone rubber replicas performed at the same time-points. Cutaneous biopsies were obtained at the end of the trial and investigated using immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy. Clinical examination by a dermatologist as well as self-assessment by the volunteers disclosed a significant improvement, in terms of the 'global score', on the vitamin C-treated side compared with the control. A highly significant increase in the density of skin microrelief and a decrease of the deep furrows were demonstrated. Ultrastructural evidence of the elastic tissue repair was also obtained and well corroborated the favorable results of the clinical and skin surface examinations. Topical application of 5% vitamin C cream was an effective and well-tolerated treatment. It led to a clinically apparent improvement of the photodamaged skin and induced modifications of skin relief and ultrastructure, suggesting a positive influence of topical vitamin C on parameters characteristic for sun-induced skin ageing.

Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical,... [Exp Dermatol. 2003] - PubMed

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
BCgirl wrote:

BCgirl,

I only ever buy and use vegetable glycerin. I find it easily at any health food store, but it's available at most online suppliers. Smile

I also use vegetable glycerin with mine,I buy it online Smile

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Dee24

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for such great advice. Im getting ready to make my first batch of Vit C Serum. I was wondering if it would be possible to add Kojic Acid to the recipe to further combat hyperpigmentation?? Any thought would be greatly appreciated!
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:07 am      Reply with quote
How to preserve the C serum
Miche

Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:21 am      Reply with quote
I'm getting everything I need so I can make Kassy's 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba!

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

I have a cart full what I might need for this with Lotioncrafter and I'm so excited to order, but I'm going to hold off until I get some knowledgeable council whether or not I should really get all my supplies through the L.C. store or get some items from another source. Like the SKB.Is that ok from there? Except for the distilled water, Jojoba oil, and vodka of course since they don't have those. Also would like recommendations for basic items that would be helpful to have on hand for making diy skincare stuff.

Please don't make me wait too long! I'm ready yesterday to make my C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba! Laughing

I will be very grateful to whosoever will help me with this or give me any kind of tips/info/advise concerning skincare stuff!
    Miche

5% products discount

Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:17 am      Reply with quote
HI Kassy_A, (or anyone else with similar know-how and experience).
I have just recieved my L-asorbic acid and Propylene glycol in the post and I am dying to try out my first, home made vit c serum. I just wondered, about storage. I know that glycerin allows the serum a longer shelf-life, but I have no idea how long I can keep a propylene based serum. Any suggestions?
The recipe I am going to try is;
quarter tsp l-asorbic acid
5 ml propylene glycol
5ml distilled water
I would also like to add some vitamin e oil from capsules that I have. any idea how many I should add to this quantity?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:19 am      Reply with quote
Miche wrote:
I'm getting everything I need so I can make Kassy's 15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba!

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

I have a cart full what I might need for this with Lotioncrafter and I'm so excited to order, but I'm going to hold off until I get some knowledgeable council whether or not I should really get all my supplies through the L.C. store or get some items from another source. Like the SKB.Is that ok from there? Except for the distilled water, Jojoba oil, and vodka of course since they don't have those. Also would like recommendations for basic items that would be helpful to have on hand for making diy skincare stuff.

Please don't make me wait too long! I'm ready yesterday to make my C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba! Laughing

I will be very grateful to whosoever will help me with this or give me any kind of tips/info/advise concerning skincare stuff!
    Miche

I've used Lotioncrafters SKB. It's fine and works well in the C serum. I bought their Ferulic 2 months ago, but haven't used it yet - still finishing up the stuff I had. It looks more powdery than the Skinactives Ferulic I have, so that should be good.

Their L-AA gets raves for being fine and easily dissolved.

You should be good to go!

The one other thing I would suggest (and I can't remember if Lotioncrafters carries them) is an airless pump bottle for your C serum.
vnewskin
5% products discount

Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:03 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls
Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes to see any improvement in pore size when you start using a Diy vit c serum?
Thanks
helenjean
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I have finally got all my ingredients for Kassys
vitamin c serum, the first time it was incredibly lumpy the SKB, and e wouldnt mix.
my second go the c didnt seem to mix, my third time after rereading this topic, putting the skb, vodka and FA in the microwave for 6 secs made it into a lovely texture serum, I have just realised I forgot the hyaluronic acid, is this a problem? I have redone my instructions so I will make sure I add it next time.
Do I just use it once a day in the mornings?
and what are the benefits of this, as everyone raving about it ?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
another question sorry Very Happy
do i keep it in the fridge.
thankyou
helen

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
another question sorry Very Happy
do i keep it in the fridge.
thankyou
helen

It won't harm it, but it's not a must. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
blast, been reading the threads, and I used metal utensals, what will happen to my serum?
Can I still use it?
sorry for being a pest Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
blast, been reading the threads, and I used metal utensals, what will happen to my serum?
Can I still use it?
sorry for being a pest Rolling Eyes

No problem! Smile
Stainless Steal? I have used it in the past, I wouldn't worry just use plastic or glass from now on so you are sure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
helenjean wrote:
I have finally got all my ingredients for Kassys
vitamin c serum, the first time it was incredibly lumpy the SKB, and e wouldnt mix.
my second go the c didnt seem to mix, my third time after rereading this topic, putting the skb, vodka and FA in the microwave for 6 secs made it into a lovely texture serum, I have just realised I forgot the hyaluronic acid, is this a problem? I have redone my instructions so I will make sure I add it next time.
Do I just use it once a day in the mornings?
and what are the benefits of this, as everyone raving about it ?

Hi Helenjean - I make Kassy's serum ( a different formula without the skb - tried the SKB one and went back to the other). Vitamin C is an antioxidant. Some get a nice glow from using C products. I suggest using an AHA about 20 minutes before or at opposite ends of the day - this gets rid of all the dead skin allowing the C to do it's best work. Once a day is fine for vitamin C. I know some on here use different types of Vit at opposite ends of the day but there is no known study to support that. LAA is considered the most effective Vitamin C - keep it fresh. keep it in the frig and use it up....

Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |