Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:05 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
That's very true, Kassy about the "glow" from LAA, whether due to expediting cell turnover or just that magic LAA gives our skin, or both? That's one of the first things I noticed when I first started using a C serum years ago. Smile

So true!

Since you are also a long time user of C serum, and also utilize DIY recipes, would you agree with me that keeping the C serum fairly basic, (say C, E + FA)is really a very effective *worker* serum?

I ask you this, because so many folks ask me about adding *many* other actives to their C serum, and I am totally against that... My thoughts are to keep the C serum water based with a team of antioxidants (C,E +FA), and then use other great actives in separate serums of creams for a separate application... So as not to have too many *things* competing for *cell* space all at once.. Laughing

I'd appreciate your thoughts... Idea

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
jencarl
5% products discount

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
Now you guys have me wooried about my recipe! This is what I've been using...

Part 1
1 t LAA
3 T water

Part 2
1/2 t vodka
1/4 t Ferulic Acid
dissolve then add
1/4 t Vit E
1/2 t Hyaluronic Adic

Then combine parts 1 and 2.

Should I omit the Hyaluronic Adic? I found this recipe here a couple years ago, and I thought it checked out ok. I just started using it again about 6 weeks ago. If I should stop adding the Hyaluronic Adic, what else can I use it for? Thank you for your suggestions!!
sabbie

Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
ok finally made my 1st batch of C serum but when I checked the PH level it was 2.0, is that to low? Can I fix it or do I need to start over? Thx!!
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If I should stop adding the Hyaluronic Adic, what else can I use it for? Thank you for your suggestions!!

Sea emollient is my first choice, then SKB or aloe vera.
Quote:
ok finally made my 1st batch of C serum but when I checked the PH level it was 2.0, is that to low? Can I fix it or do I need to start over? Thx!!

My skin screams at pH 2.8...if you can tolerate it, then it should be fine...if not, you can bring the pH up, but try not to go over 3.2, by using a bit of sodium bicarbonate/ baking soda.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
That's very true, Kassy about the "glow" from LAA, whether due to expediting cell turnover or just that magic LAA gives our skin, or both? That's one of the first things I noticed when I first started using a C serum years ago. Smile

So true!

Since you are also a long time user of C serum, and also utilize DIY recipes, would you agree with me that keeping the C serum fairly basic, (say C, E + FA)is really a very effective *worker* serum?

I ask you this, because so many folks ask me about adding *many* other actives to their C serum, and I am totally against that... My thoughts are to keep the C serum water based with a team of antioxidants (C,E +FA), and then use other great actives in separate serums of creams for a separate application... So as not to have too many *things* competing for *cell* space all at once.. Laughing

I promise, it wasn't a trick question... I honestly thought some folks would appreciate and/or benefit from your input..

My mistake...

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

So true!

I promise, it wasn't a trick question... I honestly thought some folks would appreciate and/or benefit from your input..

My mistake...

Sorry I missed that, Yes I agree I do prefer to keep it more simple rather than overloading one serum with multiple actives. I feel it's best to have a few separete serums honestly.

Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any recipe concerns for people with acne?
Are there any better recipes for people with acne?
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have just put everything I need for Kassy_A's vit c serum listed a page or so back on this thread in a basket on lotioncrafter to get.
I am new to DIY and really want to stick to what she has in her formula and that means it has to come from lotioncrafter I think as the other places don't have all the same stuff.

The problem is when I went to check out the postage came to USD78.00!! That's on top of a the total for the products which comes to USD127.89.. Sad
The shipping is to Australia where I am.

I am wondering if there is an angel out there who would send on the package for me, I presume the postage cost doesn't have to be so high..
Either I could send someone in the US a screenshot with what needs to be got and they could order it and send it on or I could order it myself to a US address and they could send it on? I'm sure smthng could be worked out.
Of course I would pay for it all, via paypal if preferred, up front and also I don't mind rounding up to take in to account the person's time in doing this for me..

I hope someone can help.. DIY is so daunting to me at this stage and I feel nervous about changing up Kassy_A's formula that's all..
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Hi TTD

I personally wouldn't bother with DIY if I had to pay that much! Confused

Try using a mail forwarding service like vpost or shipito? Here's a thread on others' experience: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39291

Otherwise try other sites with better shipping options. Bulkactives is located in Taiwan and shipping costs to Australia should be better. Garden of wisdom ships internationally for usd14. Also another new DIY supplier here: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=41831

I don't think any ingredient is exclusive to only lotioncrafter? Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 am      Reply with quote
The site is Skin Essential Actives, very reasonable on shipping including international and great customer service. Here is the link to the store. Very Happy

http://www.skinessentialactives.com/StoreFront.bok

5% products discount

Tue May 03, 2011 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
SO ladies, what is the latest working recipe for Vit C cerium ?

I think i want to give it a try, Wink)
I am running low on Jojoba oil ( i use it mainly for eye makeup remover) i buy from makingcosmetics website.
So i am thinking to buy few more things from that website all in one order Smile

Any recommendations Smile
I am 23 years old, occasional breakouts, using high frequency machine

What is your favorite Vit C recipe and what are your favorite ingredients from makingcosmetics website?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
My prefered recipe, strong version.

http://www.bulkactives.com/formulations/ceferulic1.htm

5% products discount

Wed May 04, 2011 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon
thank you for the quick replay,

however i am such a newbie, all those percentage and ingredients are so confusing.
I do want to learn, and was wondering if you or anybody knows where to start from lol.

I did read few pages behind someone asked also about the differences in the recipes,

i am going to try to read the whole thread..as i am full with questions..
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
DarkMoon
thank you for the quick replay,

however i am such a newbie, all those percentage and ingredients are so confusing.
I do want to learn, and was wondering if you or anybody knows where to start from lol.

I did read few pages behind someone asked also about the differences in the recipes,

i am going to try to read the whole thread..as i am full with questions..

There is a thread with a load of sites for information on ingredients, if you scroll down there are a few links to online calculators which make figuring out all those percentages much easier. HTH

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39428

5% products discount

Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Its me again Smile
ok i found this thread and it is really helping
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

I figured that i should start somewhere instead of waiting until i finish all 60 pages.
So i am thinking to place a order very soon.

Few questions though

I want to make it simple and combine shipment, if anybody from their own experience share with me "the best" website money and value wise for purchasing all ingredients needed for a Vit C serum?
And also what do i keep the serum in i am sure it has been asked before like i said i am going to read all 60 pages and it take notes Smile but i want to purchase and start using it.
will be greatly appreciated.
and lastly at age of 23, am i too early or too late to start using Vit C serum ? just curious
shaselai
5% products discount

Thu May 05, 2011 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
i would also like to know what is the "best" and "simplest" DIY formula and perhaps direction on getting the items? I guess i could get the dark bottle from pharmacy?

Another question.... how do i know if i mixed the stuff correctly - will there be any noticeable effects?

and finally, when is the best time to use this (AM?) and if i am planning to use Finacea, pigment regulator and Retino would that be really bad combo and if yes how should i approach it? thanks!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2011 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
Its me again Smile

I figured that i should start somewhere instead of waiting until i finish all 60 pages.

Few questions though

I want to make it simple and combine shipment, if anybody from their own experience share with me "the best" website money and value wise for purchasing all ingredients needed for a Vit C serum?
And also what do i keep the serum in i am sure it has been asked before like i said i am going to read all 60 pages and it take notes Smile but i want to purchase and start using it.
and lastly at age of 23, am i too early or too late to start using Vit C serum ? just curious

Where you buy would depend on a few things, where you live, which recipe you are going with, the ingredients needed for that recipe. at the bottom of the recipe index you linked to are also list of suppliers, including some in the UK, Canada and Australia. many but from Lotioncrafters, bulkactives and skinactives. The last has a sister site in the UK that is listed in the recipe index, sorry the name escapes me at the moment. Smile

No it isn't too late by a long shot to begin Vitamin C, many woman my age didn't start until 30's-40's. I don't personally believe it is too early, ages ago it was recommended to begin in your 40's but I would start younger if it was around when I was that age.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2011 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
shaselai wrote:
i would also like to know what is the "best" and "simplest" DIY formula and perhaps direction on getting the items? I guess i could get the dark bottle from pharmacy?

Another question.... how do i know if i mixed the stuff correctly - will there be any noticeable effects?

and finally, when is the best time to use this (AM?) and if i am planning to use Finacea, pigment regulator and Retino would that be really bad combo and if yes how should i approach it? thanks!

Simplest and best aren't necessarily the same the addition of Ferulic Acid makes a world of difference in efficacy IMO. that does require vodka or everclear to dissolve.

Simple (aside from just LAA and water) is usually made with Distilled water, LAA, Glycerin or Propylene Glycol, and a bit of Vitamin E.

Retin A or any retinols PM use, Vitamin C AM use.

Without knowing the recipe of choice, it is hard to say how you tell if your mixture turns out correctly.

As far as seeing results, that varies with each individual.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Well I have finally made up a batch of serum!!
Thank you Kassy.
I had to change it a bit as I couldent get everything, but here it is, any comments would be gladly accepted!!

MAP ( couldnt get the L version) Vit C
Ferulic acid
Retinyl Acetate
Vit E
Seaklelp Ultramarine
Rosehip oil
vodka and filtered water for dissolving (no distilled water)

It made a lovely but thick blueish cream,absorbs very well, I could feel it tightening on my skin like a mask, then a bit of flaking but nice actually.
I think it is more one to use at night, but I couldnt wait and slapped it on anyway!!
Will be putting on ssfor when I go out. Smile
I kind of feel Ive grown up a bit joining all you Professional DIYERS Its going to be the rolling next!!! Shock

5% products discount

Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Simplest and best aren't necessarily the same the addition of Ferulic Acid makes a world of difference in efficacy IMO. that does require vodka or everclear to dissolve.

Simple (aside from just LAA and water) is usually made with Distilled water, LAA, Glycerin or Propylene Glycol, and a bit of Vitamin E.

Without knowing the recipe of choice, it is hard to say how you tell if your mixture turns out correctly.

can you give a step by step of the simple yet effective formula you mentioned? and is there a product that is as good as the ones in DIY?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
shaselai wrote:

I totally agree with this!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
Well I have finally made up a batch of serum!!
Thank you Kassy.
I had to change it a bit as I couldent get everything, but here it is, any comments would be gladly accepted!!

MAP ( couldnt get the L version) Vit C
Ferulic acid
Retinyl Acetate
Vit E
Seaklelp Ultramarine
Rosehip oil
vodka and filtered water for dissolving (no distilled water)

It made a lovely but thick blueish cream,absorbs very well, I could feel it tightening on my skin like a mask, then a bit of flaking but nice actually.
I think it is more one to use at night, but I couldnt wait and slapped it on anyway!!
Will be putting on ssfor when I go out. Smile
I kind of feel Ive grown up a bit joining all you Professional DIYERS Its going to be the rolling next!!! Shock

The 'seakelp ultramarine' is probably causing the tightness + flaking.. Next time try reducing the seakelp amount and increasing the water.

In my experience anything I've made with Map or Retinyl products, tends to not enjoy a very long shelf life.. Keeping it refrigerated is a good idea!

You're a braver girl than I to take on the "rolling".. (I'm a sissy! Laughing )

Please don't miss out on this great info from "Bethany", and many other members, well before attempting your 1st roll; (Knowledge can only begin with learning after all, so arm yourself with all that's available to you.)

This link is a good start;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29860

And this link will bring you to everything DIY, that "havana8" has so graciously organized for all of us..(Scroll toward the bottom for the section on 'Dermarolling')

Good luck in all of your DIY ventures! Very Happy

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 11:44 am      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
Its me again Smile

Few questions though

I don't think you really need to read all 60 pages... Much of what's best, is probably in the last 15 or so pages, because while we all learn as we go, the latest *stuff* is probably best.

Lotioncrafter has listened to our pleas, and has stocked just about everything we talk about and use for C serum (and just about everything else!

http://www.lotioncrafter.com

The "best" bottle to keep ascorbic acid serum in is an opaque or dark glass 'pump' bottle, BUT, I don't think it's really necessary for folks who DIY regularly.. I use the 1oz cobalt bottles mostly, and find them perfectly fine... (To date, I have never had a C serum reach the 2nd stage of oxidation (yellowing), and many have sat around for up to 6 months.

Using C serum at 23 is fine and dandy..(Wish I knew about it all those years ago Sad )

It's a wonderful antioxidant for your skin, and the serum is a great way to be sure it's always in abundance.. You can use it a few times per week, and still get a huge benefit.. Each application will be retained in your skin up to 72 hours!

Many people are under the impression that they should expect to see miraculous things happen to the skin with use, but in fact it's the things that you can't see that are the miraculous bit... Squelching free radicals are now the main goal for me, and if it helps to keep the collagen healthy and growing, well that's great too. And yes, some of us are enjoying a lovely glow from it's use, but personally I can't give just C serum all the credit..

For some reason (which I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for), the down side is only about 60% of users enjoy visible benefit from it's use..

Hope that helped!

10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Kassy,
I'll reduce the seakelp and increase the water, luckiily I only made about 2oz one for me and a friend ( we have a"girly " pm each frid, bubbly, food and then I get to try out all my skincare things I have learned here, clarisonic, microdermabrasion, facepacks,and now Diy Vit C serum!!) Oh it is now in the fridge.
Next time i'll try it with the LAA when it finally arrives

thanks Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for the links I have a bit more reading to do Embarassed

Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |