Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the inf on shipping Smile
I wish I had known about those sites ages ago. Although perhaps it is best I didn't Wink

I also checked out your bulkactives recipe for vit c, DM. I got some stuff locally to make it but they didn't have everything so had to sub some things. The person I spoke to was totally casual about changing things up but I was still feeling hesitant at changing anything.. I just hope I make it ok.. The only way you can tell if you it is bad from my understanding is if it goes yellow due to oxidation..But there might be more probs I guess if you don't even get it right in first place I would have thought. Guess I'll just have to bog in and get started somewhere.
Also she said the amount of ethanol in it was way to much and she advised putting 1-2% max in there. She said it would be too drying on the face otherwise??

Also does anyone know re using vit c serum on the eye area? Does it just have to be a weaker one?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 10:35 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:

Also does anyone know re using vit c serum on the eye area? Does it just have to be a weaker one?

I think that's going to be very individual to each..

For me; I use it all around the eyes including lids with no problems.. I've also used Retin-A that way.. That practices is clearly not the norm, but it works for my totally non-reactive skin.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 am      Reply with quote
you must have great skin - everyhere, Kassy_A. It must be strong and thick enough and with all the treatment it must be in good condition!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
TTD wrote:

I think that's going to be very individual to each..

For me; I use it all around the eyes including lids with no problems.. I've also used Retin-A that way.. That practices is clearly not the norm, but it works for my totally non-reactive skin.

I agree it is very individual, my skin can tolerate pretty much anything extremely non reactive. My eyes (not the skin around) are very sensitive and reactive, so I can't use many products near my eyes including RA and Vit.C.

5% products discount

Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I am a new member (long time stalker though lol Wink I was wondering if someone could tell me what is the difference between ascorbic acid and Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate. Also, can someone kindly post a diy recipe for vitamin c serum that is very strong, please Smile
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
Hi everyone, I am a new member (long time stalker though lol Wink I was wondering if someone could tell me what is the difference between ascorbic acid and Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate. Also, can someone kindly post a diy recipe for vitamin c serum that is very strong, please Smile

Ascorbic acid or LAA is Vitamin C (in powder/crystal form) it is water soluble and not the most stable once added to water.

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is a Vitamin C derivative, it is oil soluble and very stable.

there are advantages to both, some have trouble tolerating LAA serums. Some find THDA not as effective, personally I use both. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 10:24 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:

Thanks to Havana's hard work all recipes including the Vitamin C recipes are on the Recipe Index. This is the thread she put together:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
HTH

5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2011 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
thank you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
thank you!

You are welcome iloveyouss and welcome to the the forum!

Good luck with your DIY adventure. Very Happy

5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! Quick question, I just bought the vitamin c starter kit from natural skincare, is this cream to be used as a moisturizer or do I have to use a separate moisturizer?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
Thank you! Quick question, I just bought the vitamin c starter kit from natural skincare, is this cream to be used as a moisturizer or do I have to use a separate moisturizer?

I am not familiar with the kit you mention, I make a serum, but "most" creams are moisturizing enough depending on your skin type of course.

5% products discount

Wed May 11, 2011 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
its a serum made of 5 ml glycerine (1 teaspoon) 5ml water (1 teaspoon)and 1gram of L-ascorbic acid, do you think this is any good? how can I increase the strength? should I add anything to make it more beneficial?
vasilenka
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C serum experts i would appreciate your help Smile

So i researched the ingredients and ended up buying from two different sites, one of them was bulk actives and i didnt know they are oversea so it took them 2 almost 3 weeks for my items to arrive. but that is ok.

I have all items or believe i do to make my first vit C serum. here is what i have

L Ascorbic Acid
Ferulic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid
Sea Kelp Ferment ( it is in liquid form , white in color is it supposed to be like that?)
Aloe vera 10x concetrate in liquid

Now how do i mix it all? lol Wink
i have seen the above link with all the recipes but i dont see one where all my ingredients are involved.. so i wanted to ask first before i mix it up and make a mess..

Oh i also bought the Ph measuring strips to check the ph level at the end.

Please any help will be appreciated Smile

I know in some of the recipes it says to use glycerin i was wondering could i replace the aloe vera, or in some other it says to use water can i replace it with aloe vera again? just curious.

Looking forward for advice before i mix things up Smile
Thank you in advance ladies
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
vasilenka wrote:
Vitamin C serum experts i would appreciate your help Smile

L Ascorbic Acid
Ferulic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid
Sea Kelp Ferment ( it is in liquid form , white in color is it supposed to be like that?)
Aloe vera 10x concetrate in liquid

Now how do i mix it all? lol Wink

Oh i also bought the Ph measuring strips to check the ph level at the end.

Please any help will be appreciated Smile

I know in some of the recipes it says to use glycerin i was wondering could i replace the aloe vera, or in some other it says to use water can i replace it with aloe vera again? just curious.

Looking forward for advice before i mix things up Smile
Thank you in advance ladies

Laughing Welcome to the DIY jungle Laughing

I'm happy to give you my 2 cents for what it's worth..

I'm answering you generically here, because you don't have a signature line, so I have no idea your age or skin concerns..

You might like to try this for a 15% 1oz C serum..(After 3 years of this, I find that tsp measurements are easiest and work out just fine for the majority.. I'm not into rocket science..Laughing)

- 1 tsp of L-AA
- 3 1/2 tsp distilled water
- 1 tsp sea kelp
- 1 tsp aloe vera
- 1/8th tsp ferulic acid (must be dissolved in alcohol..1/4 tsp of vodka works well.)

I'm not sure what form of hyaluronic acid you have? (pre mixed serum, powder?) Anyway, you could just do whatever the directions say, but usually you would want to keep it at 1%. Personally, I could take it or leave it for effect, but it does give the serum a nicer consistency.

You'll want your finished serum to have a pH of 3.5 or less (I find 2.5 optimum for me.)

If your skin is on the dry side, then up to 1/4 tsp of glycerin could be added.. (1/8th tsp is best if needed though IMHO.) It's really sticky if you use more. Nice humectant though, and does help keep things emulsified better.

Hope that helps!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I started using my vitamin c mixture, feels kind of greasy, is that normal? Its laa,glycerin, and water...will this concoctation clog my pores?
vasilenka
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thank You so much Kassy, i am about to do the serum now Smile i have everything i need including the Vodka Smile

Is there any specific order of mixing etc?

I am 23 years old, combination skin Wink
I will use an empty dark blue glass 1.7oz jar. And i will keep it in the fridge Smile
Also what to do in case the ph is not right? do you have any recommendation if it is lower then then 3.5 or if it higher?
vasilenka
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Also Kassy, the Sea Kelp is like glycerin in texture, is like gel liquidish clear gel is it supposed to be like that? i bought it from bulk Actives ?
vasilenka
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Its me again Smile I did it Wink not sure how well but i did it Smile)
I did checked with the PH paper and i am not sure it turned out orange but right where the paper first made contact to the solution is darker orange almost reddish looking which by looking at the chart is closer to 1 or 2 on the ph scale and the rest is orange more like 3.. I think is a bit too low, what can i do to bring the ph a little higher? i wish i had an electronic ph meter device to give me in details (i dont even know if there is anything like that)
What should i do? i mean i would not be able to tell the exact Ph level, but by using it will i be able to tell whether is good or bad?

Also the consistency is very liquidish, is that fine?
vasilenka
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to try it on my face, and once i touched it i think something must have gone wrong, because it has many gel chunks inside. i believe it is from the SKB since that was the only ingredient that had gel texture, but i guess it didnt mixed with the other ingredients.. what should i do?
And is it ok to use it now i will feel bad to throw it away, if i can use it and maybe the next batch to try to dissolve it and mix it. If anybody know why it has the chunks inside that will be awesome.. ;(
vasilenka
5% products discount

Fri May 20, 2011 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
I want to make one serum for my mom but since i screwed up mu first one i want to wait for advice lol Wink
Ladies help in my first serum turned weird, i believe is the SKB, mine is in gel form are all SKB serums in gel form? i bought it from Bulk Actives..
and my serum turned full with chunks and when i apply it those chunks just stay and you have to remove them, in other words i think something did not dissolved right and for some reason i think it might be the SKB..

Help Smile does yours turn like real smooth clear serum?
what to do. Sad
LuvToSmile
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2011 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
I started using my vitamin c mixture, feels kind of greasy, is that normal? Its laa,glycerin, and water...will this concoctation clog my pores?

my glycerin causes tackiness, but I would not describe it as greasiness. Next time use less glycerin and see if you like that better.
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2011 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
how can I use l ascorbic acid around my eyes? thats my biggest problem area but I have extremely thin sensitive skin around my eyes. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 10:41 pm      Reply with quote
iloveyouss wrote:
how can I use l ascorbic acid around my eyes? thats my biggest problem area but I have extremely thin sensitive skin around my eyes. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated Smile

I personally apply serums as I would normally to the rest of my face, and then whatever is left over on my fingers, I apply it around my eyes. This prevents any possibility of the serum sliding or dripping into your eyes
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering, has anyone ever experienced any BAD reactions from C serums?
iloveyouss
5% products discount

Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
do any of you ladies use nucelle mandelic acid in your skincare regime? how do you incorporate your other creams (retin A) with using vitamin c?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |