Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
mp5808 wrote:
I need to make a Vit C Oil for my strtchmarks. Can I mix Grapeseed & Sea buckthorn Oil with L-ascrobic acid does anyone know if that would work. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Is L-Ascorbic acid and Vit C the same thing. I know L-ascorbic can be added to water but will it work in oils also or is there some other kind of vit c i will have to buy. Sorry for the questions I have checked the web and can only find DIY for VIt C. Serums nothing for vit c Oils Crying or Very sad .And I know if there is anywhere I can get a recipe of the oil it is at this forum all of you r so knowledgable here Very Happy

L-ascorbic acid is a water soluble Vit C.

For an oil soluble Vit C, look for Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, also known as Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate.

There are some recipes in the index pinned above, just look out for the oil-based or anhydrous C serums. Hths! Smile
fortycourt

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy, I have been using your recipe for basic Vit C serum and really like it...I did reduce the glycerin as you suggested. What do you have in the diy recipe box for large pores and 48yr old skin discoloration? Many thanks!Very Happy
rudmon
5% products discount

Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi there,

I'm new here and would like to ask if I can make a simple vitamin C serum with castor oil or emu oil as base (instead of glycerine).
It seems to be very difficult to dissolve the L-ascorbic in water?

M. from Belgium
lexiophile

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I'm also new and I have read through this very helpful thread but still have some questions.

I am 16 years old and am interested in making a vitamin C serum to brighten and build collagen in my thin, pale skin (and help erase the beginnings of sun damage/sleep lines). But I am not sure if I'm too young for a strong serum like this. Would a vitamin C serum be good for my skin, or should I wait until I am older to avoid risks of damage?

I would like to make a very simple recipe and am wondering if simply mixing distilled water with some l-ascorbic acid would be effective. Early in the thread someone asked something similar and others said that this would be fine, but I am not sure if the pH would be optimal. If I mixed the LAA and water in a 10-15% ratio, would the pH be enough to penetrate my skin? Also, if I buy a container of LAA from the grocery store or from an online store like Amazon and it does not specify whether it is food grade or cosmetic grade, will it work on my skin?

Lastly, I am also really paranoid about oxidation. If I were to make a serum daily with water and vitamin C, and I put it on my skin within an hour of making it, I would avoid any risks of oxidation, right? Can oxidized vitamin C damage skin? Can you tell if the oxidation process has begun, or do you have to wait until it changes color (which I believe from reading earlier in the thread is step 2 of the oxidation process)?

Thanks so much for your help. The DIY looks fun, but I want to be well informed before I put anything new on my skin. Very Happy
agatha
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote
One newbie question:

I've mixed my second C vitamin serum, and after the first application in the morning my skin looked a bit dull in the afternoon. So I checked its pH and it turns out it's 1 Shock . I must have been using wrong teaspoons...

Anyway, I was wondering if there is some minimum pH of this serum (I know it shouldn't be above 3.5)?
dermaglowgurl

Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that so many people are having luck with vitamin C serum, because I'm thinking about using it soon. Could I mix it with an aloe and lanolin treatment. Should I even consider doing something like that?
One last question: Could I make my own vitamin C serum at home?
mlb3

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am      Reply with quote
This is my first posting and attempt at making my own Vitamin C serum. I've read and read some more but still have a few questions you all might be able to answer. Recipes call for anywhere from 1/8 tea. to 1 full teas. of L-Ascorbic powder. How do you know which will give you 10% strength? What in the recipe makes the PH? Do I have to use water? Can I mix the AA with jojoba oil and grape seed oil? Lastly, will the AA keep as long as it's in powder form? Thanks very much for your help.
fortycourt

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am      Reply with quote
I think that if you add something like Vitamin E oil, it will stabilize it. Also, I bumped up my serum mixing last night with Kassy's 15% Vit C,E,FA, w/HA. Unfortunately, the HA that I received from Lotioncrafters was in the dreaded powder form. I tried the suggestion of mixing it with some of the H2O, but I ended up with globs of jelly. What will make the HA dissolve easier??? Other than that initial problem, the serum feels great....we'll see!!! Cool
caroluna1

Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, I am a longtime stalker of the forum and vitamin c believer with a question. A couple pages back KassyA posted her Vitamin C recipe with wheatgerm oil and it's even on the vit c index. Since it's in percentages does anyone have the measurements in teaspoons etc?

Thanks in advance!
mlb3

Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
From reading numerous posts, I understand the PH should be between 2.5 and 3.5. I would like mine to read 2.8 (being optimal), what or which ingredient(s)are key? What in Kassy's (or anyone's)recipe dictates the PH? Thanks!
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 am      Reply with quote
fortycourt wrote:
I think that if you add something like Vitamin E oil, it will stabilize it. Also, I bumped up my serum mixing last night with Kassy's 15% Vit C,E,FA, w/HA. Unfortunately, the HA that I received from Lotioncrafters was in the dreaded powder form. I tried the suggestion of mixing it with some of the H2O, but I ended up with globs of jelly. What will make the HA dissolve easier??? Other than that initial problem, the serum feels great....we'll see!!! Cool

How much HA are you using? It should be maximum 1% of the end serum, which is really very very little. You can try heating up the water before dissolving the HA powder. The HA powder can be a little tricky to work with. Or just use less HA.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:16 am      Reply with quote
mlb3 wrote:
From reading numerous posts, I understand the PH should be between 2.5 and 3.5. I would like mine to read 2.8 (being optimal), what or which ingredient(s)are key? What in Kassy's (or anyone's)recipe dictates the PH? Thanks!

To lower pH you can use citric acid or lactic acid. To raise pH you can use triethanolamine or sodium hydroxide (lye) or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or decyl glucoside. That's to generalise, it still depends on what you are trying to make.

IIRC Kassy's vit c serums are all pH "balanced", she doesn't use a pH adjuster.

Is there any particular reason you need your serum to be exactly pH 2.8? I personally would adjust pH only if the end product is irritating to skin. That means too acidic or too alkali. Having to adjust pH complicates things.
mlb3

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make the Vitamin C serum. I mentioned 2.8 Ph only because I saw a video where they mentioned 2.8 being optimal and I didn't know what Kassy's recipe tested at. But if hers is "balanced" that's all I need to know. Thanks.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
mlb3 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to make the Vitamin C serum. I mentioned 2.8 Ph only because I saw a video where they mentioned 2.8 being optimal and I didn't know what Kassy's recipe tested at. But if hers is "balanced" that's all I need to know. Thanks.

Every recipe I posted tested out between 2.3 and 2.9 ... (But don't ask me now, which is which.. Laughing ) If any of the recipes are made exactly as written, it will be within the parameters for an effective C serum..(If things are changed, then pH adjusters might be needed.)

At this point in time, I don't bother testing anymore for my personal use, because I always stay with the same basics. If someone asks me to come up with a recipe specific to their needs, then I would of course test it to be sure it's perfect for them.

My skin is very non-reactive, so a very low pH doesn't bother me at all. For C serum, (according to Skinceuticals) the optimum pH is 2.8 ...

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
mlb3 wrote:

Every recipe I posted tested out between 2.3 and 2.9 ... (But don't ask me now, which is which.. Laughing ) If any of the recipes are made exactly as written, it will be within the parameters for an effective C serum..(If things are changed, then pH adjusters might be needed.)

At this point in time, I don't bother testing anymore for my personal use, because I always stay with the same basics. If someone asks me to come up with a recipe specific to their needs, then I would of course test it to be sure it's perfect for them.

My skin is very non-reactive, so a very low pH doesn't bother me at all. For C serum, (according to Skinceuticals) the optimum pH is 2.8 ...

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mlb3

Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Another question please. I made Kassys recipe last night and am wondering about the color of the serum. It's off white. Is that from the sea kelp and furulic acid? My last batch without those ingredients looked like water. Is cream color normal or is it oxidized?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm      Reply with quote
I'm thinking of doing vitamin c serum but I want to make it super easy, but I also don't want anything too thin/watery. Instead of water, can I use this Derma E vitamin a gel?

http://www.iherb.com/Derma-E-Vitamin-A-Wrinkle-Treatment-Moisturizing-Gel-8-fl-oz-220-ml/14479?at=0

Water (Aqua), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Natural and Fragrant Oils.

It already has vitamin E and emulsifiers, as well as thickeners and preservatives. It's mostly water, so it should still dissolve the LAA fine, right? According to reviews it's light and it has pretty good reviews on makeup alley. [I would want to use this gel for the water phase and then mix it with a different prepared product]

Has anyone tried dissolving LAA (the ultra fine from lotioncrafter) in something that's not 100% water?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
@mlb3, off white is typical for serum with FA because that active is yellowish.. Your okay with "off white".

@Nimue, that looks great! Just keep in mind that because of the RA, you'll want to use it at night. (RA degrades in sunlight.) Also, I'd suggest you check the pH, to be sure it's under 3.0 (If not you can easily adjust!)

Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
@mlb3, off white is typical for serum with FA because that active is yellowish.. Your okay with "off white".

@Nimue, that looks great! Just keep in mind that because of the RA, you'll want to use it at night. (RA degrades in sunlight.) Also, I'd suggest you check the pH, to be sure it's under 3.0 (If not you can easily adjust!)

I'm definitely going to use it only at night. I stumbled on this:

http://www.iherb.com/Amazon-Organics-Anti-Aging-Serum-Revive-With-Camu-Maca-1-fl-oz-30-ml/36143?at=0

It's a reasonably priced product with tetraisopalmitate as the first ingredient, which sounds amazing. I really hope that's not a mistake! I contacted them to ask the % of the tetraisopalmitate in it, and hopefully they'll get back to me. Assuming the concentration is respectable, I think it would be awesome to mix this into the vitamin c serum.

It's kind of confusing though because the description of the product there and at the website is all over the camu camu and whatever and barely mentions the tetra C, which doesn't make sense if tetra C really is the first ingredient by concentration because tetra C is a great active, not to mention not cheap.

Also, remember your recipe that everyone loved that used Viterol A until viterol A was no more? Why not use afirm 3x?

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Afirm+3x_86.htm?s_kwcid=TC|5319|afirm%203x||S|b|8333605629&gclid=CKnB6rGQtKoCFZV25QodgCOx7Q

It's very strong so you would only need to add a little bit of it to the serum to get vitamin A benefits.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:27 pm      Reply with quote
My question is, why can't we just mix the vit c in the amber bottle?

Add h20 & vit C.. shake? (can we shake?) or mix... when dissolved add glycerin or anything else.

Saves me a glass jar/beaker to clean! :]
PeachyShoes
5% products discount

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I did read carekate's recipe & yes, you can shake! (she did the 1 bottle)

Nonetheless, because of the raves, I tried the Kassy's simple Vit C serum.. it's runny (it got in my mouth once..) but it WORKS!

I tested it on my legs & hands first.. the BF kept saying they were soft! I applied ONCE and 4 days later (after 3 showers later) my skin is STILL soft!

I finally applied it to my face... I'm so happy!!

Although... I don't feel like it's very hydrating. Is Vit C serum suppose to be? I love the glowing result!, but my skin is a bit dry (I have combo skin - not from the Vit C).

I used to apply a thin layer of vaseline and the next morning I would get the super plump face (which I looooove). Anyway to get that? I applied jojoba, but it seem to moisturize very little (which is great for everyday!).

Thanks girlies!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I recently started making L-ascorbic solution; I was expecting it to start discoloring after a week or so but there was no discoloration for 3 weeks; I am wondering if the solution would be good to use until it shows any discoloration or should I discard it after a week in any case? Thank you
LoveDiLu

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I hope Kassy can answer this. I made this serum last night for a first time and in the morning I noticed that serum separated into watery solution and oil flowing on top. I shaked it, but was not sure if its ok to do so, won't it destabilize vit c? Also as receipe said I used emulsifier which supposed to help with separation but did not?
I know Kassy said that she likes her serums watery, but how watery is it supposed to be? Mine seems to be like diluted milk.
It did not tingle at all when I applied even thoug I used clarisonic a minut before.
Here is the receipe I used

15% VITAMIN C, E & FERULIC 1 oz./30 ml (with emulsifier 4-14-10) �the one I made

3 tsp Distilled H20 (warm, but not hot)�
1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (15%) is what you want. If you have the fine powder variety (and a gram scale), 4.5 grams is good. For the heavier crystals, just use 1 tsp.�
1 tsp SKB (warm till liquidy, otherwise you�ll have little clumps of it)�
1/2 tsp Macadamia Nut Oil (this enhances penetration, and isn�t at all greasy)�
1/2 tsp Glycerin (nice humectant, gives a nice texture, and *helps* with emulsifying)�
1/4 tsp Rosehip Oil (all the vitamin E you need is in this, and then some!)�
1/8 tsp Ferulic Acid�
1/2 tsp Vodka (you MUST use this to liquefy the FA)�
0.6 ml/cc Polysorbate 80 (2%, this is the emulsifier)�
3 drops of Optiphen (preservative)�
0.3 ml/cc of Hyaluronic Acid �Serum� (1%) (this is the one I use, and the only one I know of that won�t give you grief;
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
the easiest and most simple would be to just add ascorbic acid in water and use it, followed by a cream of your choice, that's what i am doing....
LoveDiLu

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Daler,thank you for your reply. But I already made 2 oz of this serums and ingredients cost me around $80. I really do want to use them and use them properly, or otherwise hubby will be really ununderstanding (is this even a word?)to my ventures. I'll keep yours in mind, though, thanks a bunch.
Any other thoughts, anyone, please...

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |