Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Patou

Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Waiting for a reply I tried just to add a little water and shake it. It worked and it is nice and easy to apply.

I would like to ask you something about the serum. I had bought one and had an aggravation of the dryness and some redness of the skin. I was told that it could be witch hazel in it. So I finally bought the products and made mine from Kassy's 15% recipe that I posted previously.

I noticed that my serum, for the first 3 days, did made my face red but after a couple of hours, it faded and the skin was better. But today, my face is red and it seems to make it a little worse.

I would to hear from you and others if this is a normal reaction at the beginning and if it stops doing this after a while and then the skins improves? Or maybe just apply it every two or three days.

Or should, or can I, apply an hydrating cream (that I could create from a recipe here)once the serum is absorbed?
mamaserve

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting.

I made up a batch of Hyaleuronic Acid serum that I love using.
I've added it to another oil based cream I found a recipe for that is also great.
Next batch I would like to add a preservative so I don't need to keep it in the fridge to keep from spoiling.
Does anyone have experience using Vit C powder or Citric Acid as a preservative?
How do you calculate the amount to use?

Advance Thanks and Beauty Blessings for your replies!
daisy999

Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
I wasn't sure where to ask this, but I thought this might be a good place since many on here have direct experience with the formulation science behind vitamin C serums.

I am wondering how important it is for the vitamin C you are using (specifically MAP in this case) to be completely solubilized in solution. Do you need to reach complete transparency of the crystals in solution to get proper absorption and effectiveness? If your solution is still cloudy - which generally means it has non-solubilized solids in suspension - does that mean you will not be able to reap the benefits of those non-solubilized particles (being too big to pass through the cell walls)?

The scientist and common-sense part of me says yes, and that complete solubilization is necessary...but I am wondering if that thinking is flawed.

The reason I ask is because I recently purchased NuFountain's CelSignal serum which uses MAP. Their website specifically states and the stock photo shows the CelSignal serum as a clear liquid, but the bottle I received is very cloudy. I contacted them and was told the cloudiness is normal and a result of the new way they grind their MAP. However, when I expressed concerns over the apparent insolubility of the new MAP in solution (and how that would affect penetration, effectiveness, and shelf life) and sought to seek further information about the reformulation, the company got *extremely* defensive. They refused to answer any of my questions regarding the solubility, penetration, and effectiveness, telling me they wouldn't sell ineffective products and they have happy customer worldwide. They all but stopped short of accusing me asking those questions to steal their recipes to make knock-offs to sell in China (not joking - that's the reason they gave for not being more forthcoming).

In any case, I am genuinely concerned about this issue, because I want to know what I'm using on my skin (no plans to steal secret recipes or anything). The solubility problem makes sense in my head, but I am wondering if I am missing anything. NuFountain is very defensive about their new cloudy version working just as well as their clear version. If my concerns are truly unfounded, I just want someone to explain why. Thanks in advance!
cinncinn

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hello.
I just tried to make my very first vit C serum. Abd when i mixed LAA and MAP with water, the solution became yellow. Does that mean that vit c degraded? It was a matter of a couple of minutes at most. I got my indridients from skinactives.
Don't know what to think and whether i can use this serum or it is better to discard it

Will really appreciate yor help.
Thank you
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
cinncinn wrote:
Hello.
I just tried to make my very first vit C serum. Abd when i mixed LAA and MAP with water, the solution became yellow. Does that mean that vit c degraded? It was a matter of a couple of minutes at most. I got my indridients from skinactives.
Don't know what to think and whether i can use this serum or it is better to discard it

Will really appreciate yor help.
Thank you

It's almost impossible to get LAA and MAP to work together. Both have different pH requirements. LAA requires pH of around 3, MAP is 5-7. When you mix MAP into a pH of <6 it discolors (and may smell like hot dogs). If you mix LAA in a pH >3 it degrades.

Best to put them into separate serums and use them at different times. If it were me, I'd start over and keep them separate.
cinncinn

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, ShastaGirl, for explaining this to me. I didn't know you couldn't use LAA and MAP together, I used one of the recipes I found on one of the first pages of this topic.
I would appreciate a recipe that doesn't use alcohol or oils. Does anyone know any? Please share )
Also, is 2.5PH too acidic?

Thank you
AdaBrown

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C won't be damaged and it will work in the serum.glycerin is good and it better not be ignored.
-Best of chemicals BOC Sciences
hasen

Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If you liked that one, you'll love this better. I've been using it since I posted it in 2010.

15% VITAMIN C SERUM WITH WGO + FA

- 15% LAA
- 1% Wheat Germ Oil (high vit E content!)
- .5% Ferulic Acid
- .5% Polysorbate 80
- .5% Preservative (Optiphen works nicely in acidic formulas!)
- .5% Vodka (you need to use this to dissolve the FA.)
- 82% Distilled Water

Happy formulating!

Can you specify the amounts in tsp for this formula? Its hard to workout how to make it with the correct amounts from this. I saw another thread where someone had followed this formula and failed as well.
pjcham@hughes.net

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I am new to this forum. After reading through it for the last few days I am totally confused as to which formula to use for Vitamin CE with Ferulic Acid. I have ordered the ingredients for the recipe with Jojoba Oil. If it is still recommended could you post the most updated recipe with complete directions on mixing it? Thank you so much!

5% products discount

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone

When you are looking for a Vitamin C, You should stick to the derivatives and activities that are tested and proven to work

like: Ascorbic Acid, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, ascorbyl palmitate and other derivatives.

Read my complete review for the ACE-Ferulic and its complex ingredients:ttps://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/ace-ferulic.html

Thank you! Stay beautiful
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |