Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 am      Reply with quote
LOL you are the exact opposite of me. I agonize over the correct amounts. Drove Kassy nuts asking how much is a pinch???

You can probably save the body lotion by adding much more Gold Bond. The face stuff I don't what will thicken that up Confused

My only word of caution is with the growth factor it is incredibly sensitive and the tube you have is designed for 4 oz of base. If you are using less than 4 oz for your base you do not want to add the whole tube. I know it looks like such a tiny amount but it is a signal not an active so you will be wasting the extra if using in less than 4 oz of base. I have mixed the growth factor and saline together used a couple of drops and put the rest back in the fridge. I don't know if that is exactly recommended but the growth factor should keep for about 6 months like that.

5% products discount

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 am      Reply with quote
I don't even know why I ordered the growth factor.

What the heck should I do with it, put it in 4oz base by itself?

What is it good for?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Apparently it is supposed:
"Application of EGF to the skin will accelerate healing and, when applied to aging skin, it will increase the rate of skin renewal, which decreases with age."

I know it is my anti-aging cream, LMC serum from skinactives, I put a couple of drops in my eye serum. Does it work - how knows. It needs to mixed with a water base not oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:23 am      Reply with quote
i found this on Walgreen's website, are any of these the right glycerin to use to make vitamin C serum?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100311&navAction=jump&navCount=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku3155255&id=prod3156422

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304653&navAction=jump&navCount=2&nug=VPD&skuid=sku4117393&id=prod4118523
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 am      Reply with quote
ace I believe you could use either.

I am not familiar with the c-serum recipe that uses glycerin would love to see it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
ace I believe you could use either.

I am not familiar with the c-serum recipe that uses glycerin would love to see it.

Here's one for 1oz @ 15% concentration;

1 tsp LAA
3 tsp distilled water
2 tsp glycerin

Dissolve the LAA into the water stirring frequently (can take up to 45 minutes!). Then add the glycerin.. Stir well and put in dark dropper bottle. Keep in fridge.

If you add a few drops of vitamin E oil (to the glycerin prior to mixing together), it will be a little more stable, and also work synergistically with the C.. Also, halving the recipe to 1/2oz will assure it remains stable till used up.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
prettyarmor
5% products discount

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
^^^I can do this I tell ya.

I can.

Cool

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I was wondering if i was missing anything in this formula i'd like to try out

Double C Serum:

I'd like to use...

Dissolve: Ascobic Acid & Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate in filtered water.
Refridgerate over night
Add 1% vit E AND sodium hyaluronate

Question: Do I need glycerin?
jencarl
5% products discount

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Cross posting from the 'Dr Kassy' thread, for my DIY buddies .. Very Happy

Vitamin C Serum (Just about 20%)

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

So all my ingrediants arrived and I whipped up my first batch. It was so much fun, I felt like a chemist! I omitted the SKB and Kukui Oil, but now I'm wondering (and worried)if that alters the PH? Any thoughts?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
jencarl wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Cross posting from the 'Dr Kassy' thread, for my DIY buddies .. Very Happy

Vitamin C Serum (Just about 20%)

1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

So all my ingrediants arrived and I whipped up my first batch. It was so much fun, I felt like a chemist! I omitted the SKB and Kukui Oil, but now I'm wondering (and worried)if that alters the PH? Any thoughts?

To keep it at the same concentration just add 1 tsp of H2o (or 1/2 tsp each of glycerin and H2o

If you leave it as is, it would make it about 18 to 20% ish concentration.. The ph should be a bit lower (which is fine) if leaving out the SKB..

No worry's!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
jencarl
5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply Kassy, you're the best!!!
aa6660
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:35 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone found a place to get all of the ingredients?

(Edit to add that this would be for making the recipe on p.8 of this thread.)

I have gotten it down to 2 places (aside from the distilled H2O and glycerin that I will buy locally), but the price still seems awfully high.

Do I have the right ingredients in my cart? The first order is from Garden of Wisdom and the second is from Skinactives.

Order Details
Code Item Price Quantity Amount
Kukui Nut Oil CP / 2 oz
$6.90 1 $6.90
L-ascorbic Acid *powder* / 1 oz
$4.85 1 $4.85
MAP [magnesium ascorb phosphate] / 15 gr
$9.45 1 $9.45
Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram FCC/USP / 1 oz
$8.85 1 $8.85
1 oz Amber Glass Bottle w/dropper
$1.05 1 $1.05
Hyaluronic Acid Powder [rooster] / 1 gr
$6.05 1 $6.05
Shipping and Handling:
Priority Mail up to 16 ounces total weight $4.80
Taxes: $0.00
Your Total: $41.95

Order Summary
Qty. Product List Price Discount% Total Price
1 Ferulic Acid
5 gm $9.50 0.00% $9.50
1 Sea Kelp Bioferment
2 fl oz $15.00 0.00% $15.00
Order Sub-Total: $24.50
Discount Code Coupon Discount: $0.00
International Insurance: $0.00
Shipping: $6.00
Total: $30.50
prettyarmor
5% products discount

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I just linked Marta from Truth In Aging to this very thread!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I think I am just going to forgo trying to make the Kassy's recipe and just go with some ideas from her and Carekate.

Thinking about:
LAA
Distilled Water
Propelene Glycol (since I have oily skin and can always switch to glycerin later on since I already have that at the house or can buy it locally)
Vitamin E

I'm just having some problems deciding on amounts of course...

Thinking about....

1 tsp LAA (appx 5ml)
5-10 drops Vitamin E if I can find the liquid (.25 - .5 ml)
5 ml Propelene Glycol
17.5 ml Distilled H20

I think this would put it around 18% Vit C and 0.9% - 1.8% Vit E.

I am curious if this will keep the ph in a good range and also how the amount of PG to H2O looks. Carekate's recipe was 50/50, but that seemed like way too much PG.

**As a side note, I am just about to begin Retin A at night and have considered dermarolling. I have been reading for a while now, but I am still not certain on it. I did note that they recommended C + A before hand so I figured adding a C would prep me for dermarolling if I decide to do it or just be good for me in general if I pass on the dermarolling.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
aa6660 wrote:
Has anyone found a place to get all of the ingredients?

Order Details
Code Item Price Quantity Amount
Kukui Nut Oil CP / 2 oz
$6.90 1 $6.90
L-ascorbic Acid *powder* / 1 oz
$4.85 1 $4.85
MAP [magnesium ascorb phosphate] / 15 gr
$9.45 1 $9.45
Vitamin E 1300 IU/gram FCC/USP / 1 oz
$8.85 1 $8.85
1 oz Amber Glass Bottle w/dropper
$1.05 1 $1.05
Hyaluronic Acid Powder [rooster] / 1 gr
$6.05 1 $6.05
Shipping and Handling:
Priority Mail up to 16 ounces total weight $4.80
Taxes: $0.00
Your Total: $41.95

Order Summary
Qty. Product List Price Discount% Total Price
1 Ferulic Acid
5 gm $9.50 0.00% $9.50
1 Sea Kelp Bioferment
2 fl oz $15.00 0.00% $15.00
Order Sub-Total: $24.50
Discount Code Coupon Discount: $0.00
International Insurance: $0.00
Shipping: $6.00
Total: $30.50

if you want to purchase from just one place, u can leave out the optional ingredients if your skin does not need it. i believe they are:

kukui nut
hyluronic acid powder
skb

(can someone confirm this?)
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone give me ratios/amounts to use if I want to try the anhydrous serum using Monistat Chafing Gel & LAA? And what about if I want to add a little Vitamin E? My skin generally does well with silicones, so that's why I want to try this one first.

I found one recipe using grams, which isn't helpful to me since I own nothing that will weigh in grams.

I've read about the difficulty in getting the LAA to "dissolve" or suspend in the gel without being grainy, so I plan to order the LAA from bulkactives since that seems to be the most powdery in general consensus.

Anyone able to help?

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
tessera wrote:
havana8 wrote:
Info on pH and product application wait times
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360&highlight=ph
Smile

Havana8 - Thank you for that thread information. I did my search based on "layering actives" and wouldn't have ever come up with "wait times."

In case it's helpful, here is another older thread I stumbled on...

Tangal's Vitamin C Uses, and Wait Time info (Long):
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18491
seabliss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I have questions for Kassy. I am going to order some LAA to make 15% serum. I have some LLA that is about 4 years old from the Personal Formulators, so I'm sure that's expired. I also have glycerin and propylene glycol from that order. Do those things expire?

Also, I have a great cream by Derma E. It is the DMAE - Alpha Lipoic - C-Ester Retexturizing Crème. I'd like to add niacinamide to it. Do you think this would work? Would I have to dissolve the niacinamide first? How much should I add per oz. of cream?

Here are the ingredients of the cream: Water (Aqua), Dimethyl MEA (DMAE), Stearic Acid, Thioctic (Alpha Lipoic) Acid, Allantoin, Panthenol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Organic Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Cetyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Glyceryl Stearate and Peg-100 Stearate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbyl Palmitate (C-Ester), Dimethicone, Citric Acid, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Natural and Fragrant Oils.

Thanks!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Seabliss - Did you refrigerate your LAA? This will make a difference as to retaining potency. I'll defer to Kassy from here....
seabliss
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
No, unfortunately I did not. It is a container of crystals (that really don't dissolve that easily!) that I kept in the box in my room, so in the dark at room temperature.
Mamastarr3
5% products discount

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new at all of this stuff! You're board is so informative and I am so thankful.

I am currently using a DIY serum that contains only the LAA and distilled water, I'm using it in a spray bottle. I've gotten the PH testers and so far I'm pretty sure I've done everything right.

I just have a quick question I was wondering if anyone could help me with... Is it possible to mix LAA with emu oil? Would the emu oil help get the Vit C deeper into the skin?
Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Tagging another question on to the others...

Had another go at the serum. At first cloudy C & water, but added another 1/4 tsp. of water and crystal clear!

Feeling pretty good since I had never been able to accomplish even that, added the FE and stirred. Rinse and repeat x 100. Still cloudy. Added another tsp. of water. Stir. Stir. Stir Alas, no change.

Finally decided to just mix everything and leave it for a day, shaking occasionally. It's. Just. Plain. Cloudy.

What am I shooting for here? Is the DIY CEF clear or is it a milky serum.

I must say, it smells soooo fresh. So much nicer than that nasty hot dog or butylene glycol smell. Am addicted and don't even think I've done it right!

Oh, one more question, adding another tsp or two of water to the recipe that's approx 20% would bring the C potency to... min. 15%? If I need to try to make it work with less water I will. Don't want to dip below 15%.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, ladies!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Tea wrote:
Tagging another question on to the others...

Had another go at the serum. At first cloudy C & water, but added another 1/4 tsp. of water and crystal clear!

Feeling pretty good since I had never been able to accomplish even that, added the FE and stirred. Rinse and repeat x 100. Still cloudy. Added another tsp. of water. Stir. Stir. Stir Alas, no change.

Finally decided to just mix everything and leave it for a day, shaking occasionally. It's. Just. Plain. Cloudy.

What am I shooting for here? Is the DIY CEF clear or is it a milky serum.

I must say, it smells soooo fresh. So much nicer than that nasty hot dog or butylene glycol smell. Am addicted and don't even think I've done it right!

Oh, one more question, adding another tsp or two of water to the recipe that's approx 20% would bring the C potency to... min. 15%? If I need to try to make it work with less water I will. Don't want to dip below 15%.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction, ladies!

You've changed the whole recipe, so I really can't help you.. From what you shared I would put *your* serum at 10 to 12% max, and the ph around 4.5 which is much too high.. (In other words, it might look the way you want it to, but it's not going to penetrate your dermis or cells.. Crying or Very sad ) (What's wrong with a nice milky white serum anyhoo, most of us love it.. Very Happy )

BTW, C serum with .5% ferulic *should* be a milky white. (Ferulic will turn any clear serum or lotion milky whilte as well.)

I hoped when we didn't hear back from you after the *dissolving* issue, that things were going well..

Tea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
So, milky is good? Good! Just wanted to be sure I was on the same page.
Adding extra water...not good. Got it.
(Only added it thinking the FE was supposed to be clear, too, and was hoping it would help with that.)

Will go back to the original recipe posthaste!

Have ordered ph strips to make sure am on the right track, but haven't received.

Thanks for setting me straight! Very Happy

Again...
Rolling Eyes
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:25 am      Reply with quote
I am always curious about adding the Vit E to any of these water based Vit C forumla's. Doesn't it just bead up and float on the surface?? That has been my experience. I prefer to just put a couple of drops in my palm and add it to the serum as I put it on my face.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |