Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I am considering a DIY formula using MAP and SKB from the Skinactives site.

Have any of you tried this one before?

Everything I have read about MAP indicates that it is water soluble and yet the Skinactives site claims that it is oil soluble. This gets confusing.

Also, any thoughts as to how quickly MAP oxidizes and whether pH is also an issue with this formula?

There is little info available on this.

I would like to use this formula post rolling -hoping that it would be less irritating.

Thanks, BF
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
BF I can tell you that I have mixed MAP with SKB to incorporate MAP into a larger serum, which makes me pretty sure you are going to have to add h20 (at minimum) to dissolve the MAP into the SKB.

As for oxidation my serum would last 4 weeks but you can always make smaller batches more often to avoid that problem.

The ph of MAP should be bet'n 7 - 8.5
HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
BF, MAP is soluble in both water or oil.

It's not pH dependant (that I'm aware of), and probably for that reason, is why it's in lots of retail creams, lotions etc..

I added it to a moisturizer I made, and it started to smell like hotdogs after a while.. (I assume it was the MAP, because it never happened before or since, with the same ingredients minus the MAP.)

I'm sure you will find it to be less of an irritant than LAA, but it is much less effective as well... (Kind of like trying to compare Retinyl Palmitate to Retin-A.) Only MHO!

You can make a nice DIY serum with MAP + SKB.. I would also recommend adding a good oil to it, that contains vitamins, lipids, + fatty acids.. (Avocado, Palm or Rosehip would be nice.. Or AOB + ELS from skinactives if you have it on hand.)

If you need any help putting a recipe together, give a holler..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy.

Are you aware of any research data that discusses how effective MAP is as compared to LAA, etc.?

BF
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Barefoot I don't get any irritation with Kassy's C,E and Ferulic recipe, that's why I continue to use it (LAA) as my dermarolling C. As Kassy says it works way better than any other C out there. But I don't put it on directly post roll. I've read it takes only a short time for the holes to close after rolling anyway. I use the retin a that evening, as retin a is affected by light and must be used before retiring, then the C,E and Ferulic in the morning.
Sorry for taking this off topic guys. Angel
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Barefoot I don't get any irritation with Kassy's C,E and Ferulic recipe, that's why I continue to use it (LAA) as my dermarolling C. As Kassy says it works way better than any other C out there. But I don't put it on directly post roll. I've read it takes only a short time for the holes to close after rolling anyway. I use the retin a that evening, as retin a is affected by light and must be used before retiring, then the C,E and Ferulic in the morning.

Just want to clarify that I said, "as good as".. Laughing Laughing Laughing (It's up to others who can compare to retail products for the "way better than".... Very Happy )

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Mishey wrote:

Just want to clarify that I said, "as good as".. Laughing Laughing Laughing (It's up to others who can compare to retail products for the "way better than".... Very Happy )

Sorry I need to clarify. Laughing
I meant LAA being better than any other C out there, rather than comparing Kassy's recipe to commercial ones.
By the way I've never tried any commercial C serums. I've only ever used the C,E and Ferulic or just LAA and distilled water made weekly.
misspointy
5% products discount

Wed May 06, 2009 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Hiya Kassie

I recently made your lovely vitamin C+E+ferulic serum...which i thought turned out lovely....feels great on my skin and leaves it feeling tight. Bonus!!

I have kept the serum in a blue glass bottle in the fridge, the bottle has a pump dispenser as i thought that would be preferable to tipping out the serum each day to use. I happened to get a blockage in the pump dispenser so have taken it out of the bottle and I found that around the plastic tubing the serum had formed almost jelly like and turned orange......the serum had only half filled the bottle and this jelly had formed above the serum. Soooo have i messed up somewhere? Sad the serum also was slighlty more runny than when I first made it.

Other than that it feels lovely.
oops im using a spray bottle and not a pump dispenser...would that make a difference?

thank you
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I use a cobalt bottle with a dropper and this seems to work out okay. Let's see what Kassy says.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
sister I would go with the eye dropper type of dispenser. Even though it is runny I think it might be too thick for a pump.
I find on my bottle a little accumulates in the dropper cap, due to shaking, will crystallize around the rim of the jar and it is yellow.
Remember to shake the life out of it before each use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
misspointy wrote:
Hiya Kassie

I recently made your lovely vitamin C+E+ferulic serum...which i thought turned out lovely....feels great on my skin and leaves it feeling tight. Bonus!!

I have kept the serum in a blue glass bottle in the fridge, the bottle has a pump dispenser as i thought that would be preferable to tipping out the serum each day to use. I happened to get a blockage in the pump dispenser so have taken it out of the bottle and I found that around the plastic tubing the serum had formed almost jelly like and turned orange......the serum had only half filled the bottle and this jelly had formed above the serum. Soooo have i messed up somewhere? Sad the serum also was slighlty more runny than when I first made it.

oops im using a spray bottle and not a pump dispenser...would that make a difference?

thank you

Sounds like you used too much HA to me, and/or didn't dissolve things in 2 glasses.. I can't imagine why it would seperate otherwise..

My advice is to pitch out this serum and start over with the very last recipe I posted.. (The one that contains vodka and just .3 ml of HA)

Please try it again, exactly according to the way I wrote out the 2 phases, which I believe will help you get it perfect.

You also need to store it in a pump or eye dropper bottle, because 'serum' can't be dispensed in a 'spray' bottle.

HTH, and please let me know how it goes..

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 06, 2009 11:36 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI for all; A little crystallization on the neck of the bottle is common for any C serum that doesn't contain (hidden preservatives or the addition of a true emulsifying ingredient).

It can also happen if the 2 phases of formulating were rushed, and then combined together before everything dissolved fully and completely..

In my own experience I was guilty of rushing things along when I first started DIY, but have since learned a thing or two. I also had no clue about separating it into 'phases', and wondered why I wound up with spackle, when I just threw it all together in one phase..

Please try to follow along next time, as I wrote things out in the latest C recipe.. It really will make a very big difference to your serum. Also keep in mind that I am also learning as I go along, and I'm more than happy to have you learn from my mistakes (and blunders.. Laughing )

misspointy
5% products discount

Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
misspointy wrote:
Hiya Kassie

thank you

Sounds like you used too much HA to me, and/or didn't dissolve things in 2 glasses.. I can't imagine why it would seperate otherwise..

My advice is to pitch out this serum and start over with the very last recipe I posted.. (The one that contains vodka and just .3 ml of HA)

Please try it again, exactly according to the way I wrote out the 2 phases, which I believe will help you get it perfect.

You also need to store it in a pump or eye dropper bottle, because 'serum' can't be dispensed in a 'spray' bottle.

HTH, and please let me know how it goes..

Ok thanks, once again your a star!!

I made the c serum without the HA....I made the older recipe with l ascorbic acid, vit E, ferulic acid and SKB 15%.

The serum is still a milky white colour so it must be crystallization around the pump....TBH I hadnt even thought of that....maybe Ill use it for my body and start out with a new one....I was patient waiting for the L ascorbic acid to dissolve...lol...it took around 45 mins.

Ill also get a different pump for the bottle.

thankyou
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy:

I have been making the C serum for few months with your recipes. The one with Ferulic, and Viterol A. It really saves me a lot of money. Thank you.

Suk Han

Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Suk Han wrote:
Kassy:

I have been making the C serum for few months with your recipes. The one with Ferulic, and Viterol A. It really saves me a lot of money. Thank you.

Suk Han

Smile

Glad it's working out for you!

When you're done with that one, try the latest, it's the best to date!

Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy:

Is the following the later one you mean?
1 tsp LAA
½ tsp MAP
¼ tsp Ferulic Acid
¼ tsp Vitamin E oil (or whatever other oil you use with high E content)
3 tsp H20 (distilled)
1 tsp SKB
½ tsp Glycerin
½ tsp Hyaluronic Acid
5 gtts Kukui Oil (optional, but supposedly it helps with melasma + hyperpigmentation)

By the way, I am planning to use Retin A. What is good to put on after the Retin A beside emu oil?

Thank you.

Suk Han
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hello suk Han,
The one Kassy is talking about is this one:

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

To prepare use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the H2O, Vodka, LAA + Ferulic Acid.. Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use.

She says to get a 1cc medicine dropper and fill it to the .3 mark for the ferulic and E.

****At least I THINK it's the the one she's referring to.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 09, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sisoreno you are quite right on all counts.. Very Happy

Happy Mother's Day one and all, and have a glorious day!

misspointy
5% products discount

Sun May 10, 2009 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone have problems with using HA? Im just asking as its one of the active ingredients in loreals derma genesis range, and those products irritate my skin like mad. My skin ended up red, puffy and really itchy. Id like to try kassies above recipe Very Happy
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Sister Sweet and Kassy.

How do I fill the dropper with ferulic which is in powder???!!!! Confused I did the C Serum with Kassy's recipe before with ferulic but without HA. I did not measure in a dropper.

Suk Han
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Suk Han wrote:
Thank you Sister Sweet and Kassy.

How do I fill the dropper with ferulic which is in powder???!!!! Confused I did the C Serum with Kassy's recipe before with ferulic but without HA. I did not measure in a dropper.

Suk Han

Oh dear, my little Chikadee, I think you need help with the 'putting it all together' part..

You need to use the 2 seperate glasses, and mix each ingredient in according to how I wrote it out.. (You can't just add FA into a finished serum.)

I'd suggest you start over from scratch and have the recipe beside you to follow along.. (The bright side is each *blunder* will cost less than a buck.. Very Happy )

Please re read the entire recipe, and ask me anything that isn't clear to you before you do it..

On another note, someone we all know and love asked me if I'd make a video putting a C serum all together (on another forum), and I'm seriously considering it..

The problem is I don't have a clue how to do it.. Sad . I have a 'webcam' on my new laptop, so if anybody can give me video 101, I'm all ears..

Oh yeah, and tell me like I'm a 6 year old .. Confused

Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
Kassy:

Thank you for your prompt reply. I followed your instruction precisely. I read your recipe again, then I realized that it fills with HA using the dropper but not the ferulic. Brick wall

Thanks again!!

Suk Han
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy,
Thank you so much for all your recipes! I am currently using an old C formula of yours and am loving it Very Happy
I have a quick question about another one of your recipes, specifically the one with HA-- My understanding is that pure HA comes in a powder form, but since you're starting with liquid HA, what is the percentage of the solution that you use? I'm wondering if I can just substitute with the PSF HA serum, or if I should buy the liquid HA from wherever you do...? TIA!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Geez Swan, I've never had the powdered form, so I'm not sure how to advise you.. What I would suggest is popping off an email to wherever you purchased it, and asking precisely how much you need to use to have a 1% concentration in a 1oz formulation..

I'm still working on a 4oz bottle I got from TPF about 14 months ago.. In fact I'll probably pitch it out soon and get a fresh one..

Oh, BTW, if you purchased it from skinactives, they always send a direction sheet for use with the products. Perhaps someone who has the same HA could chime in to help you out..

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Can't wait to give this new recipe a go. Sorry Suk Han for any confusion I caused with the C & E directions...

Hope y'all had a great day - Mother's everywhere!
Sis (Sisoreno Laughing - and hey Kassy if you do a video for another forum can you pm where??? Thanks )
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |