Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Tesse
5% products discount

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Aquaphor is a good base as well. It's often what's used in pharmacies for compounding to make a medication in topical form.
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:
Can Vit C benefit from putting it on the body as well?

YEP!

Put 1 tsp of LAA into 2 oz (yields about 8%) of distilled water in a spritz bottle, add a few drops of witch hazel and shake till dissolved... Keep refrigerated, and make a new one once a week.

A little goes a long way so use sparingly. When fully absorbed, apply your moisturizer or sunscreen.

You can add more LAA if you want it stronger, I find the above sufficient without drying me out.

Thanks so much. Can LAA go bad? I dont know how much Vit c powder to buy. I do want to get enough to last a while.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

Thanks so much. Can LAA go bad? I dont know how much Vit c powder to buy. I do want to get enough to last a while.

I bought two 4oz tubs from http://www.thepersonalformulator.com about 9 months ago, and I still have 1/3 left on the first one I opened..

I'd suggest that one 4oz tub will last quite a while, so just keep it refrigerated. It's when it's been formulated, that you really have to worry about oxidation.

Another good thing to know is that adding vitamin E oil at 1% to any of your formulations, will make it more stable. And it also works synergistically with C so it's a good thing.

Any time you can incorporate vitamins A, C + E together, it's a very good thing!
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

I bought two 4oz tubs from http://www.thepersonalformulator.com about 9 months ago, and I still have 1/3 left on the first one I opened..

I'd suggest that one 4oz tub will last quite a while, so just keep it refrigerated. It's when it's been formulated, that you really have to worry about oxidation.

Another good thing to know is that adding vitamin E oil at 1% to any of your formulations, will make it more stable. And it also works synergistically with C so it's a good thing.

Any time you can incorporate vitamins A, C + E together, it's a very good thing!

Do you use pure vitamin A? i seen a bottle I think on a DIY store as well. Might be mistaken
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:
Do you use pure vitamin A? i seen a bottle I think on a DIY store as well. Might be mistaken

This is my favorite Retinol (vit A) product. It's already loaded with lots of good stuff, and is wonderful to formulate with.. Laughing

http://www.ncnproskincare.com/skin-care-products/hydration/retinol.html

ETA: Having a few good products like this one on hand, cuts out the need entirely for preservatives and emulsifiers...(I found this out the hard way after numerous mistakes, and a whole lot of mess.. Sad )
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:
So basically its better to use Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate(in place of L-absorbic acid), Propleyne and distilled water for a basic Vit C serum?

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is 'oil' soluble, so somewhere in your formulation you have to have an oil, silicone or emulsifier.

If you want to keep it really simple, you can use "KY Chafing Powder Gel" as the base. I'd also suggest adding the contents of 2 vitamin E gel tabs to it.

Please don't be afraid of L-Ascorbic Acid.. It really is a power house for the skin. You can also use both forms of C together for a very nice 'more' stable formulation.

Can you mix with regular vitamin e oil? or are gel tabs best?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

I use pure vitamin E oil. You can use gel tabs in a pinch, but make sure there aren't other fillers in it..

Also, just an FYI for ya'll; If you pick up vitamin E oil, don't get more than 2 to 4 oz size.. Once it's opened, I find it gets really fishy smelling after a few months.. Keep in fridge!
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

I use pure vitamin E oil. You can use gel tabs in a pinch, but make sure there aren't other fillers in it..

Also, just an FYI for ya'll; If you pick up vitamin E oil, don't get more than 2 to 4 oz size.. Once it's opened, I find it gets really fishy smelling after a few months.. Keep in fridge!

Ok so keep everything in the fridge Very Happy I am making your recipe for the body spray Very Happy . Is it just as potent as making the regular vit C Serum? I brought the witch hazel which was very cheap by the way. But whats it for? Just asking
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

Ok so keep everything in the fridge Very Happy I am making your recipe for the body spray Very Happy . Is it just as potent as making the regular vit C Serum? I brought the witch hazel which was very cheap by the way. But whats it for? Just asking

You can increase or decrease the LAA to suit your needs. At any rate, I don't think more than 10% is needed for the body.

I suggessted witch hazel in the body toner because of the anti-inflamatory, anti-bacterial, + anti-microbial properties. Also because it has a low PH, it won't interfere with the penetration of the vitamin C. Vodka would work as well.. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:

You can increase or decrease the LAA to suit your needs. At any rate, I don't think more than 10% is needed for the body.

I suggessted witch hazel in the body toner because of the anti-inflamatory, anti-bacterial, + anti-microbial properties. Also because it has a low PH, it won't interfere with the penetration of the vitamin C. Vodka would work as well.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

ok so I made the mix. Is it supposed to look like water? the Vit C powder mixed quickly and very well
ScotsLass
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Thyckecutie wrote:
So basically its better to use Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate(in place of L-absorbic acid), Propleyne and distilled water for a basic Vit C serum?

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is 'oil' soluble, so somewhere in your formulation you have to have an oil, silicone or emulsifier.

If you want to keep it really simple, you can use "KY Chafing Powder Gel" as the base. I'd also suggest adding the contents of 2 vitamin E gel tabs to it.

Please don't be afraid of L-Ascorbic Acid.. It really is a power house for the skin. You can also use both forms of C together for a very nice 'more' stable formulation.

I've never heard of "KY Chafing Powder Gel", let alone using it as a base for DIY Vitamin C products. hmm However, I do know that Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel is often used as an ideal base for DIY, oil-soluble, Vit-C solutions.

So Thyckecutie, you can always pop over to Walmart or Target and pick up a tube of this Monistat product (go to the feminine hygiene section), then use it as a oil-soluble DIY base to add your Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (and LAA if you want to), in addition to Vitamin E and Ferulic acid. This combination is essentially giving you a DIY version of Skinceuticals CE Ferulic solution, which is super expensive!

Another favorite use I have of *Monistat SCCR Powder Gel* is as a makeup primer or finishing gel (that I personally apply over oil-prone areas, such as my t-zone, after I've applied my makeup). This Monistat product contains active ingredients (ie., silicones) that are virtually identical to Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, except that I find it is actually superior to the Smashbox primer. For the cost, you cannot beat this Monistat product as a DIY base or makeup primer, and I do consider it one of my HG beauty finds!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
ScotsLass wrote:

I've never heard of "KY Chafing Powder Gel", let alone using it as a base for DIY Vitamin C products. hmm However, I do know that Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel is often used as an ideal base for DIY, oil-soluble, Vit-C solutions.

Quite right! I't most definitely 'Monistat', and NOT 'KY'.

Hopefully anybody searching for it, used the other 'keywords', which brings the right product right up..... Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:11 am      Reply with quote
So i exfoliated while i showered with a sponge and applied the Vit C mist(Vit C, distilled water and witch hazel) to my body. It stung a little. Does that mean that I made it too strong? Or is it supposed to be that way Crying or Very sad
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:47 am      Reply with quote
No, lots of people get a bit of stinging.

Be sure to apply it to dry skin!
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
No, lots of people get a bit of stinging.

Be sure to apply it to dry skin!

Ok thanks. I do apply to dry skin. Is it ok to use the spray on face or should I make the normal serum for that?
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
Can I add Vitamin A (retinol palmitate) from Makingcosmetics.com to my Vit C spray & serum??
Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Where can I purchase 100%pure Vitamin E. I find most of them have other oil in it. My vit. E Gel has other ingredient in it too, galatin, glycerin, and soybean oil.

There is a c serum at Niora dot com with the ingredient:
Alpha-C-Serum 100
water, mixed fruit acids, aloe, glycerin, jojoba oil, Vitamin C ester tri-complex (ascorbyl dipalmitate,ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate, ascorbic acid polypeptide), soya phospholipids (lecithin extracts), xanthan protein, sucrose laurate, vitamin E, chamomile, green tea, rose hips, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils, methyl and propyl paraben. 1 oz

Is it a good C Serum?

Thank you!
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, I'm ready to make the serum, but I have an ounce of ferulic acid, so how much is a 1/2 vial?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
zyggy wrote:
Kassy, I'm ready to make the serum, but I have an ounce of ferulic acid, so how much is a 1/2 vial?

You have to know what you have to start with, and this will depend where you bought it.. You want to wind up with a concentration of .5 % FA

EX:

Vitamin C 15%
Vitamin E 1%
Ferulic Acid .5%

My FA is in powder form and 1/2 tsp. is enough to make 4oz of cream or serums, so I just divide it further from there. (I'm by no means a math wiz, so much of what I do is a guesstimate)...

Could you put the link here of exactly what you bought? Is it powder? Liquid? Mixed with anything else?
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:20 am      Reply with quote
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4073723/3956842.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Zyg; the link you provided is for niacinamide. I want to be sure of what you have.

I'm emailing you about this, because nobody else seems interested, and I have to ask you a few questions..
havana8

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
zyggy wrote:

You have to know what you have to start with, and this will depend where you bought it.. You want to wind up with a concentration of .5 % FA

EX:

Vitamin C 15%
Vitamin E 1%
Ferulic Acid .5%

My FA is in powder form and 1/2 tsp. is enough to make 4oz of cream or serums, so I just divide it further from there. (I'm by no means a math wiz, so much of what I do is a guesstimate)...

Could you put the link here of exactly what you bought? Is it powder? Liquid? Mixed with anything else?

PSF sells Ferulic Acid at a size of 2g for about $5. It looks like a liquid on their website? In case it's helpful, their instructions for use say: Add contents of vial to 1 ounce (30mL/30g) of your favorite serum, cream, or lotion. Dilute. Do not apply directly to skin. Shake or mix well. Not for addition to carbomer-based gels. Water soluble.

https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=AXBST&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dall%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DCCC3
(cut & paste link to work)
kellies
5% products discount

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:32 am      Reply with quote
its always better to use DIY vitamin c with a neautral cream like Aveeno moisturiser so you can get full benefits.... i like to use magnesium ascorbyl phosphate which is milder and i dont break out
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I've been reading about the vit. c serum recipes for a while, and finally went out and bought some vitamin c powder (Whole Foods brand). I looked up propylene glycol on the web, and was not too happy with the mixed reviews regarding it's safety. If it was readily available at a local store, I'd probably buy it, but it isn't, so I didn't. Instead, I decided to try mixing the vit. c with a rosewater and glycerin spray that I also buy at Whole Foods. While I may find it to be too greasy in the long run, I already had it on hand, so thought I could try it. I mixed the vite C and the rosewater/glycerin mixture 50/50. Since I don't know the percentage of rosewater to glycerin in the spray, I can't say how much of each I have in the mixture. It makes for a nice smelling serum, though! The only ingredients in the spray are water, vegetable glycerin and "hydroessential rose oil."
So, now I'm wondering, what results have people experienced from using the vitamin c serum??! I'm all excited about using it, but honestly, not sure what great things to expect! I've read people have had "brighter" skin. But what else? I have melasma and some acne (which is getting better thanks to supplements and new skin care regime), and I don't expect miracles (like total removal of melasma), but has anybody found a lessening of pigmentation spots with this stuff?

Sorry for the long post. I'd love to hear the results people have had with use of serum!

oh, one more thing, I use Retin A. Can the serum interfere with, or nmaybe improve, the effects of Retin A? (I read about the vitamin A working synergistically, but who has tried these together, and what were the results?)
Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
herama wrote:
I use Retin A. Can the serum interfere with, or nmaybe improve, the effects of Retin A? (I read about the vitamin A working synergistically, but who has tried these together, and what were the results?)
Thanks!

Welcome Herama! Your serum sounds fine to me, accept you could probably use less glycerin. I use 1tsp of glycerin with 1 oz of water. You might also like to add a small amount of Vit E gel.

Vitamin C is good for sun protection so it's used in the a.m. Retin A is supposed to make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, so it's used at night. Vitaminc A, C & E are the HG of skin care, so you're on the right track.

As for results, I believe Retin A has done wonders for my skin and I will always incorporate a Vit C serum.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |