Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
damia

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
ok girls, the vitamin c lounge is my personal fave... but i have a question about another acid..
I was at my health food store and saw some citric acid powder, you could buy however much you wanted.. anyways, i was thinking isn't this an aha? being the diy addict that i am, i am thinking couldn't i put this on my face? so of course i checked on line and found very little. off to the bathroom.. i took some of the citric acid, mixed it with water slapped some on..and it burned..immediately threw more water on..less burn..then rinse..today my skin looks rosier and nicer...anybody out there have any ideas or has anyone else used this stuff before? pros cons i am open to feedback..gotta go my babys crying
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 pm      Reply with quote
damia wrote:

I was at my health food store and saw some citric acid powder, you could buy however much you wanted.. anyways, i was thinking isn't this an aha? being the diy addict that i am, i am thinking couldn't i put this on my face? so of course i checked on line and found very little. off to the bathroom.. i took some of the citric acid, mixed it with water slapped some on..and it burned..immediately threw more water on..less burn..then rinse..today my skin looks rosier and nicer...anybody out there have any ideas or has anyone else used this stuff before? pros cons i am open to feedback..gotta go my babys crying

Citric acid is used as a flavoring or preservative in many foods and beverages. It's an especially good preservative used in canning.. It has no vitamin c content (that I'm aware of), but is used to preserve vitamin c when used as an additive/preservative.. It is sometimes called 'lemon salt' also.

One tsp is enough to preserve 1 quart of food/beverage, so it's know wonder you experienced a 'rosie glow'.. Technically, I believe you experienced a mild burn.. Crying or Very sad

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
damia

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:43 am      Reply with quote
it is considered an aha, but i was just wondering how useful it was in its basic food grade form.

Quote:
Alpha Hydroxy Acids Defined
Alpha hydroxy acids are derived from fruit and milk sugars. The most commonly used alpha hydroxy acids are glycolic acid and lactic acid because they have a special ability to penetrate the skin. They also have the most scientific data on their effectiveness and side effects. The following are the 5 major types of alpha hydroxy acids found in skin-care products and their sources:

glycolic acid - sugar cane
lactic acid - milk
malic acid - apples and pears
citric acid - oranges and lemons
tartaric acid - grapes

anyways your probably right.. i only needed a tiny bit and it burned..
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
lilchik wrote:
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this site and little bit lost with the amount of information... I’m trying to prepare my first portion of vit c serum. I’m wondering if is it possible to dissolve1/4 tsp Vit C in 10 ml of jojoba oil or rosehip oil instead of glycerin? Or it’s better to use 5 ml of distilled H2O and 5 ml of oil? Any other oil will be better alternative? How long do u think it’s going to last if I’ll use it once a day? Do i need to keep it in the fridge? Do u know if Ester –C will be suitable for this recipe? Thanks Rolling Eyes

No, don't substitute oil for the glycerine or Vit C. Use distilled H20 if you don't want to use glycerine. Yes keep it in the fridge. No, I wouldn't use Ester C. Use pure L Ascorbic Acid crystals or powder. Should last a month or so if you keep it out of sunlight, tightly capped and in the frig.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
lilchik wrote:
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this site and little bit lost with the amount of information... I’m trying to prepare my first portion of vit c serum. I’m wondering if is it possible to dissolve1/4 tsp Vit C in 10 ml of jojoba oil or rosehip oil instead of glycerin? Or it’s better to use 5 ml of distilled H2O and 5 ml of oil? Any other oil will be better alternative? How long do u think it’s going to last if I’ll use it once a day? Do i need to keep it in the fridge? Do u know if Ester –C will be suitable for this recipe? Thanks Rolling Eyes

No, don't substitute oil for the glycerine or Vit C. Use distilled H20 if you don't want to use glycerine. Yes keep it in the fridge. No, I wouldn't use Ester C. Use pure L Ascorbic Acid crystals or powder. Should last a month or so if you keep it out of sunlight, tightly capped and in the frig.

oops...I was trying to edit and hit "submit" accidently That first line should read: NO DON'T SUBSTITUTE OIL FOR THE GLYCERINE .

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
EmyBloo
5% products discount

Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone,
I am excited about the vitamin c serum, however I can not get the vitamin c powder to dissolve in water. Is it ok to heat the water first? Or has anyone had this problem and a solution?

thanks
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
[quote=]Hello everyone,
I am excited about the vitamin c serum, however I can not get the vitamin c powder to dissolve in water. Is it ok to heat the water first? Or has anyone had this problem and a solution?

thanks[/quote]

L-AA can take up to an hour to fully dissolve in room temp water.. DO NOT HEAT it.. Heat, air + light are all enemies of that finicky little "C".

Next time you purchase try the L-AA from Lotioncrafter's.. It's a very fine powder and dissolves almost immediately..

Patience is a virtue when it comes to the crystals. Just leave it alone and stir often.. Also, be sure you used the exact right amount, because even a little extra will give you grief.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
EmyBloo
5% products discount

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Kassy.

The first time I tried this, I measured correctly and stired for quite a while. The next day it was still not dissolved. Hmmm... must be the brand I bought. Thanks for your recommendation of lotioncrafter as a source. I'll give that a shot.

This board is a wealth of info!

Very Happy
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Is DIY vit c comparable to store bought vit c?
I tried making my own vit c previously and I dont think I did it right. I actually broke out. It seems quite a hassle to make a new batch everytime.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I've only recently heard about DIY vitamin C serums. I want to fade my freckles and have been given a sample of a vitamin C serum with licorice extract (Darphin.) However it is well above my price range and I can't stand the heavy, greasy texture. I have heard that skinceuticals phloritan C might also be good for what I want to do. I really like the idea of a cheap, completely customised serum, but I don't know where to start. Some ingredients I thought might be good to add are vitamin E and Licorice extract.

So basically what I want to know is:
1) Will Vitamin C help lighten freckles?
2) What other things should I add to help lighten freckles?
3) Can I add other anti-oxidents to it for preventative or should I make 2 separate serums?
4) How do I ensure that my serum has the right balance of ingredients so it is safe and effective?
5) How do I make sure it absorbs well and does not give my skin a greasy feel?

Sorry guys. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm really lost. Also, am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just start with a basic vitamin C serum recipe and then experiment with adding one extra ingredient at a time? Either way, having the answers to those questions would be really useful.
BTW I am 18 with large freckles (I have some Irish and Scottish blood in me) and combo skin.
mariansc
5% products discount

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, You guys are awesome, I don't know what I would have done, if it weren't for so many of you sharing.

My question is could someone help me tweak this? I've been using another LAA DIY receipe I found on here:

This is what I have been making and using for the last few months.
15% serum
1/2tsp. LAA
2 Tsp. glycerin
3 drops vitamin E

I would like to make this now as a 20% serum, and I have added some new ingredients.
Ferulic acid and I have changed from glycerin to sodium lactate, with a less sticky feel. I can't use glycol. I use H20 solubable vitamin E, instead of the oil now.

I have: LAA, Vitamin E, Ferulic Acid, sodium lactate, vodka and would like to make a 20% LAA serum, I would like to take out the MAP, and just use glycerin/sodium lactate.

20% LAA Serum
1/2 tsp. LAA
1/2 tsp. map
1/4 tsp. ferulic
1/4 tsp. vit. e
3 tsp. H20

I don't want to add any other ingredients.
Thank you so much.
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
OK, I'm just going to ask the silly question. Where do you buy glycerin? Today, I went to Target, Wal-mart and Walgreens. After looking and looking, with no luck, I asked sales associates at all three stores and they all told me that they no longer carry it. The dude at Target led me to the glycerin enema's and said that's all they had. Embarassed The ladies at both Wal-mart and Walgreens went to the place where it used to be on their shelves and were surprised that it wasn't there. Both of them did a search in the system and came back saying they no longer carry it. Next, I'll try the Wal-Mart superstore on the other end of town unless somebody has a better suggestion. . .

5% products discount

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
I purchased my glycerin at Rite Aid about a 1 1/2 months ago. If you can't find it, I have plenty and can send it to you. I switched over to sodium lacatate, because it isn't as sticky for my vitamin c formula.

Do you see the vitamin c formula above you, can you help me with that. I just need to know, how much vodka and ferulic acid I need to add to it.

Thanks and good luck.
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Hello Ladies,
I've been away for the summer and now that I am back home I want to make my Vit. C,E, Ferulic serum again. I just bought SKB but all my other ingredients were bought back in March so they are 6 mos. old. Can I still use them? Does anyone know their expiration date?
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mariansc! Thank you for the Rite Aid tip. I'll try that next.

As for the recipe above, you already have 1/4 tsp of Ferulic acid listed. That looks like the right amount to me. I would add 1 tsp of Vodka but it may be best to get Kassy's opinion first.

Best of luck!

5% products discount

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I got that receipe off the receipe area here. Knew something was missing. I'll add the alcohol, I am just trying to take that MAP out, and substitute it.

I am just going to put my glycerin or sodium lactate in it, and see if the ph balances. If not then I will try and balance it.

I absolutely don't want any other ingredients in it, but the have 2's. The serum I made previously has worked just fine, and so I don't won't to mess with a good thing. I just want to add ferulic acid. I know one thing, I won't ever buy items again, unless I have a reciepe for it first Very Happy.

I didn't know it would be so hard to get a simple good receipe for it! Rolling Eyes
mariansc
5% products discount

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Hello Ladies,
I've been away for the summer and now that I am back home I want to make my Vit. C,E, Ferulic serum again. I just bought SKB but all my other ingredients were bought back in March so they are 6 mos. old. Can I still use them? Does anyone know their expiration date?

As long as you have stored it properly, in a cool dark place. It should be just fine, I've been using my same bag of LAA for a year now! Just reordered. E will virtually last a long, long time. Your ferulic acid should be just fine. Your LAA should dissolve easily, and that will tell you alot there. Good luck!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 am      Reply with quote
mariansc wrote:
E will virtually last a long, long time.

Does anyone know whether vitamin E oil is a stable oil, or does it go rancid quickly and need to be stored in a fridge? Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
blue_pineapple59 wrote:
I've only recently heard about DIY vitamin C serums. I want to fade my freckles and have been given a sample of a vitamin C serum with licorice extract (Darphin.) However it is well above my price range and I can't stand the heavy, greasy texture. I have heard that skinceuticals phloritan C might also be good for what I want to do. I really like the idea of a cheap, completely customised serum, but I don't know where to start. Some ingredients I thought might be good to add are vitamin E and Licorice extract.

So basically what I want to know is:
1) Will Vitamin C help lighten freckles?
2) What other things should I add to help lighten freckles?
3) Can I add other anti-oxidents to it for preventative or should I make 2 separate serums?
4) How do I ensure that my serum has the right balance of ingredients so it is safe and effective?
5) How do I make sure it absorbs well and does not give my skin a greasy feel?

Sorry guys. I know that's a lot of questions but I'm really lost. Also, am I biting off more than I can chew? Should I just start with a basic vitamin C serum recipe and then experiment with adding one extra ingredient at a time? Either way, having the answers to those questions would be really useful.
BTW I am 18 with large freckles (I have some Irish and Scottish blood in me) and combo skin.

Welcome blue pineapple - btw I would love a freckle or 2 I think they make you look younger Laughing

You are not biting off more than you can chew - we all felt like that when we started trying to tackle DIY, (expect Kassy, I think she was born to do it) we are all here to share and help you make it work.
Yes you should start simple with a basic vitamin c serum - I recently made Kassy's c-serum with the kukui oil (change for me) and love it. I don't want to say that the vitamin-c will lighten freckles because that really isn't what it is for but it should make your skin glow. If you follow any of the recipes that have been posted here you should be fine; most of us have tested them and are pretty confident they are safe or we wouldn't post them.

I would leave the c-serum as a c-serum. If you want to make other serums with anti-oxidants to put on after the c-serum has absorbed that would be best.

Have a look at the c-serum recipes they are all listed here on Havana's wonderful sticky and find a recipe to dive into DIY.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Marianesc, I found glycerin at Rite Aid just like you said. Thank you!

Fat_swan, vitamin E is stable and does not need to be refrigerated.

5% products discount

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Hi Marianesc, I found glycerin at Rite Aid just like you said. Thank you!

Fat_swan, vitamin E is stable and does not need to be refrigerated.

I am glad you found it. Very Happy
mariansc
5% products discount

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I found Kassey's vit. c recipe for 15% C+E+FA and just wanted to say:

THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU, AND THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU!

I don't have any SKB so I substituted sodium lactate, and everything has worked out perfectly. My PH is within normal!!!
I thank everyone here, for sharing your experience with us, and for helping us, who are less knowledgable in compounding Very Happy

THANK YOU,THANK YOU, THANK YOU KASSEY and EVERYONE. HOPE I SPELLED YOUR NAME RIGHT Smile
mariansc
5% products discount

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
fat_swan wrote:
mariansc wrote:

Does anyone know whether vitamin E oil is a stable oil, or does it go rancid quickly and need to be stored in a fridge? Thanks!

No, it doesn't go rancid, and no it doesn't need to be stored in the refrigarator. It will thicken if you do put it in the fridge, and it will be hard to pour out. Vitamin E is very, very stable, and you can have it for a very long time. Just store it tightly under your bathroom cabinet, if you like:)
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
mariansc wrote:
fat_swan wrote:
mariansc wrote:

No, it doesn't go rancid, and no it doesn't need to be stored in the refrigarator. It will thicken if you do put it in the fridge, and it will be hard to pour out. Vitamin E is very, very stable, and you can have it for a very long time. Just store it tightly under your bathroom cabinet, if you like:)

Thanks a lot! It's good to know it's not going to waste Smile

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
mariansc
5% products discount

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone has made this, and what your ph level was? I added the ferulic acid to the serum I was already using, and made too batches, and my ph level is way up there at 3.8-9, took me forever to get my ph level within the range of my old c serum (which works perfectly for me) of 2.5. I didn't put any oils in it.

I was able to get the ph down, to were I wanted it, with using citric acid. Thankfully, I have a whole bag on hand, and the lady where I purchased it from, told me how much to use, without losing much of my actives.

I'v made many of of a DIY, and have never had this happen. I thought maybe my ph strips were bad, or something. But, when I used the chart to test other household products, the strip came back perfect.

Do you think not using SKB, and using another emollient would make that much difference?

Thanks a bunch.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |