Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
If you're going to add Jojoba Oil to the Vitamin C recipe, I'd be tempted to add a couple of drops of Oil Soluble C to the Jojoba - this way you'd have both forms of C in one recipe. What do you think?

Excellent idea for anyone who has that on hand... How many drops (or whatever) would you suggest for 7% ish?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
How many drops (or whatever) would you suggest for 7% ish?

1 teaspoon = 76 drops

1% = .7

so 7% would be about 5 drops.

My math skills suck, so I've put it in writing in case I've stuffed up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
beautyrose wrote:
Where to buy "tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate in an oil base"And how to do it

You can purchase from here:

http://www.bulkactives.com/ascorbyltetraisopalmitate.htm

I add 24 drops of Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate to 30 ml of Pomegranate Oil. But you can use any other carrier oil of your choice.

Keliu - can I ask why you are using pomegranate oil? That's a new one for me. Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
Is the serum supposed to be watery?
SandraD4880
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:14 am      Reply with quote
I really think I will switch to Jojoba Oil Vit C Serum next time! Sounds lovely!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:04 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Keliu - can I ask why you are using pomegranate oil? That's a new one for me. Thanks.

Pomegrante is supposed to be a super anti-oxidant. The juice of the fruit is becoming very popular because of its nutritional benefits.

Here's some reading:

http://leonsbeautytipsandsecrets.com/pomegranate-oil-for-mature-skin/

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:33 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Keliu wrote:
If you're going to add Jojoba Oil to the Vitamin C recipe, I'd be tempted to add a couple of drops of Oil Soluble C to the Jojoba - this way you'd have both forms of C in one recipe. What do you think?

Excellent idea for anyone who has that on hand... How many drops (or whatever) would you suggest for 7% ish?

Oh yeah!!! I can't wait to try. So does the recipe still need 1 tsp jojoba or will more be needed now? What about the other ingredients, same measurements?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:
Keliu wrote:

Oh yeah!!! I can't wait to try. So does the recipe still need 1 tsp jojoba or will more be needed now? What about the other ingredients, same measurements?

I'd keep everything the same and just add the 5 drops Keliu recommended. If you want to be technical, you could just subtract 5 drops of the vitamin E oil...

***Just a question for Keliu though. Can you confirm that 5 drops wasn't a typo? I just saw that you put 24 drops in your 1oz oil serum*** I'm a miserable math girl too... Embarassed

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I just ordered some from bulkactives. I was almost out of ferulic anyway. But I chose the cheapest shipping so it will take almost 12 days for me to get to try it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
***Just a question for Keliu though. Can you confirm that 5 drops wasn't a typo? I just saw that you put 24 drops in your 1oz oil serum*** I'm a miserable math girl too... Embarassed

That occurred to me too!! But I think I worked on a percentage of 5% for adding to 30ml (6tsp) of Pomegranage Oil.

6 tsp = 456 drops
5% of 456 = 22.8 (say 23)

Must have added a drop for luck!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:22 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

What! Shock There is a cef jojoba recipe and I don't have it... Where the he!! have I been. OMG. Must have it. Help.

Here ya go Sis!

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba, 1oz
1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka or Witch Hazel (vodka is best and purest though.)

Using 2 shot glasses; In glass #1 dissolve L-AA in the distilled H2O. (I'd suggest a warm water bath while stirring till dissolved if you must.

Glass #2; In goes the Ferulic Acid, followed by vodka. Stir a few seconds. (It should just look like a yellowish opague serum.) Now add and stir in each of the remaining ingredients blending each in one at a time, starting with SKB first. (I find I get a smoother, more even serum when I warm the SKB in the microwave a few seconds, till a bit liquidy.)

When the L-AA has fully dissolved (looks like clear water) in glass #1, combine both phases together while slowly adding and stirring till contents of both glassed are combined.

Here is what it looks like finished; (Creamy whitish and opaque, with a nice serumy texture.) Many of you have PM'd asking what the C serums I make look like, so now you have it..

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm311/shutterbug2112/IMG_2174.jpg

*Note* I've had no physical sign of oxidation while leaving this serum at room temperature. It's now been 9 weeks. So I'm comfortable recommending a cool, dark place and to use up within 8 weeks. Keep exposure to air and light at a minimum as with any C serum!

ETA: The stability of this serum at room temp is not only my experience, but has been the case with many DIY'ers, not only here at EDS but elsewhere also! It's also been the favorite!

Kassy YOU are the Woman! I'm lovin it and I haven't even made it yet.

Thanks zillions. I feel so loved Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe rotating the "new" jojoba LAA with a batch made with the oily-based C added. I wanted to order from lotioncrafters anyway.

I'm going to check out the pomegranate. Thanks for the link Keliu.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Just got my ascorbic acid in the mail today (10 dollars for 8 ounces)! I will be making my serum soon.

So the recipe:

1/4 tsp ascorbic acid
1 tsp glycerin
1 tsp distilled water ..... is that right??

When I am done making it, do you guys recommend keeping it cool in the fridge? Also, I have a tinted little bottle that I had leftover from a previous serum I had, so I can just use that. Also can I maybe add some Emu Oil, or Grapeseed oil?

Looking forward to seeing results. I am so happy I'm like a little chemist now. And this saves so much freaking money.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Pomegrante is supposed to be a super anti-oxidant. The juice of the fruit is becoming very popular because of its nutritional benefits.

Here's some reading:

http://leonsbeautytipsandsecrets.com/pomegranate-oil-for-mature-skin/

thanks for the reading Keliu - good for the face and hair. I could use this instead of jojoba for tanaka massage. I don't think jojoba has an antioxidant benefit - though I like it for OCM.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
thanks for the reading Keliu - good for the face and hair. I could use this instead of jojoba for tanaka massage. I don't think jojoba has an antioxidant benefit - though I like it for OCM.

Jojoba is definitely an anti-oxidant too. I think all oils are to some extent, that's why it's hard to choose. Here's some info on oils from Garden of Wisdom:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/carrieroils.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
sister sweets wrote:

Jojoba is definitely an anti-oxidant too. I think all oils are to some extent, that's why it's hard to choose. Here's some info on oils from Garden of Wisdom:

http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/carrieroils.html

I had good old time reading about the various oils. Hemp Seed sounds good for me with my oily skin and they seem to really like the rose hips oil. (appears to be for dry skin - probably would be too much for me but great for others)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I had good old time reading about the various oils. Hemp Seed sounds good for me with my oily skin and they seem to really like the rose hips oil. (appears to be for dry skin - probably would be too much for me but great for others)

I've used Rosehip Oil for years. Hempseed Oil is good too, there's a whole thread on it here somewhere called "Hempseed Oil Saved My Skin". I've just got on to Camellia Oil as well because it's made from the plant that produces Green Tea, so it can also be called Green Tea Oil.

5% products discount

Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all you DIYers! I'm going to try the C with jojoba oil, can't wait! I'm all ready to order a few things from GOW and wanted any recommendations for actives I can add straight to my day moisturizer that has an SPF of 30. Also, I use Retin A micro every other pm and use a night cream on my off nights. What could I add to it to "beef" it up a little? My concerns are, sun spots and some wrinkling. Thanks so much!! Oh, and has anyone tried the 1oz amber glass bottles with treatment pump from GOW? Would these work for the C serum? Thanks again!
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Well my question was completely skipped, lol.

But never mind, I already made the serum... but I will ask again, can I add a few drops of Emu or Grapeseed oil to it?
shellybutorac
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Can hyaluronic acid be used with L Ascorbic Acid and DI water to make the Vit C solution?
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 am      Reply with quote
EC413 wrote:

But never mind, I already made the serum... but I will ask again, can I add a few drops of Emu or Grapeseed oil to it?

I'm not sure but I don't THINK it will work. LAA is soluble in water and water and oil don't mix so unless you mix the oil with an emulsifier such as Sea Kelp Bioferment (SKB) I don't think it will work.
oranges
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:55 am      Reply with quote
shellybutorac wrote:
Can hyaluronic acid be used with L Ascorbic Acid and DI water to make the Vit C solution?

Check the recipes, I'll try to find and post a link, but Kassy has a C recipe that includes hyaluronic acid.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
shellybutorac wrote:

Check the recipes, I'll try to find and post a link, but Kassy has a C recipe that includes hyaluronic acid.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=467039#467039

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 am      Reply with quote
oranges wrote:
EC413 wrote:

I'm not sure but I don't THINK it will work. LAA is soluble in water and water and oil don't mix so unless you mix the oil with an emulsifier such as Sea Kelp Bioferment (SKB) I don't think it will work.

Sorry, I 'skipped' it because I don't think the recipe you mentioned above will be at all effective... Crying or Very sad

EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Oranges.

And Kassy, you don't think the 1/4 tsp ascorbic, 1 tsp glycerin and 1 tsp water isn't a good recipe? I thought I found that on here? I also found the same recipe on eHow.com.

Anywho, I made it, used it last night and this morning, and my skin not only tingled after applying but is now glowing, so it must work.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |