Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Beware of Hot Showers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
I didn't want to post a new topic about this but I couldn't help myself. Hot showers aid in causing serious skin issues. I know most of us love hot showers, but restraint is in need here. Whenever, I visit a hot country, my skin feels and looks great because I am forced to take warm or cool showers to battle the heat. However, living in Canada, it is cold 8 months of the year. It is no surprise that I'd be used to hot water. Unfortunately, using hot water causes poor circulation and aids in clogging pores. So please stay away from them! We can fight the * spam alert *!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Yep...hot showers are not good for skin, darn it!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
well they are not a problem this season...lol. 32 C today...so sticky & muggy.

My favorite is HOT weather is a cool shower & a mint shower gel. A refereshing tingle all over Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:52 am      Reply with quote
what about a hot wet cloth over the face instead of a cleanser? some people here recommend it as a cleansing method. is it also not good for skin? Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:05 am      Reply with quote
I have also heard this. The facial steam baths that were once popular are apparently not recommended anymore. I don't know about the hot cloths on face, but I would rather use a lukewarm cloth.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:42 am      Reply with quote
I heard that using a warm face cloth is much better than using a hot one. I myself prefer a warm face cloth. No more hot water for me! Brick wall
pinkberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:06 am      Reply with quote
I thought hot steam stimulates blood circulation that that's why the hot yoga is so popular now.
TheShadow
5% products discount

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
pinkberry wrote:
I thought hot steam stimulates blood circulation that that's why the hot yoga is so popular now.

Exactly! Heat stimulates circulation. Too hot isn't good, but neither is too cold.

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. What one person should avoid, someone else craves.
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, hot steam fine. Steam makes you sweat. But what about hot water though? When I say hot, I mean hot. The kind of hot that steams up the mirrors. I doubt that can be good for you. After a hot shower my skin becomes very dry and I find myself to be extremely lethargic. I wouldn't be surprised if many others felt the same way. Very Happy
chuchu

Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
heat causes vasodilation (improved circulation). thats why in the hospital we use heat packs on inflamed areas.

cold causes vasoconstricton. cold pack on something before it gets inflamed.
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Heat packs are different than large amounts of hot water pouring down your head for a certain period of time. Hot water does indeed dry out the skin and causes irritation in problem/acne-prone skin. Crying or Very sad
autumn95
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:09 am      Reply with quote
While I love hot showers in the winter, I make sure that my face is always always washed gently in warm/cool water.

I have a tendency to flush easy and I don't need hot water/steam near my face.
dasani
5% products discount

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:20 am      Reply with quote
I would do the steam bath for my face once a week, but always follow up with cool splashes to "tighten the pore".

But I guess I should avoid including my face cleansing process as part of my shower routine.
golfer

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
I think the difference is sweating and steam opens up your poors but if there is scalding water on your skin your pores will close because of shock. Sweat = good, cleansing, exfoliating, scalding = skin damage and drying.
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I think so. Too hot or too cold water is not good to skin. Now, I try to take a bath with normal temp. water. I think my body skin is not dry anymore.
sal-star
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:24 am      Reply with quote
golfer wrote:
I think the difference is sweating and steam opens up your poors but if there is scalding water on your skin your pores will close because of shock. Sweat = good, cleansing, exfoliating, scalding = skin damage and drying.

I have noticed some of my products say to use warm water to wash/ exfoliate etc and I think this is a good comment above that warmth opens your pores. I have heard that is is best to then splash your face with cold water to 'close' to pores after and that cold water is really good for the skin...
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
I heard of that too.
Especially for face, better use cold water to wash.
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:43 am      Reply with quote
i love hot shower...and take hot bath everyday....but i can't see any problem to my skin. Still smooth Wink

Why it's not good to skiN?????
Sophias1920
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
Well if your skin does not suffer from hot showers, then your are one of the lucky ones. It may depend on your skin type. What is your skin type by the way EVENET?

Clearly, it all depends on the individual. However, those with problem skin like acne, dryness, and dehydration etc. a hot shower is definitely a no no. Sad It can further irritate the skin. I started using warm to cool water, and I see an improvement in my skin. A lot smoother and less irritation. Shock
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Sophias1920 wrote:
Well if your skin does not suffer from hot showers, then your are one of the lucky ones. It may depend on your skin type. What is your skin type by the way EVENET?

Clearly, it all depends on the individual. However, those with problem skin like acne, dryness, and dehydration etc. a hot shower is definitely a no no. Sad It can further irritate the skin. I started using warm to cool water, and I see an improvement in my skin. A lot smoother and less irritation. Shock

i am unlucky person....i get no skin problem to all parts under head...but i easy to get breakouts on face. I use cold water to face only. I do enjoy taking hot bath for relaxation. But i worry whether the bad things come later so I want to know what make a hot bath to be harmful to skin!!!
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Everything in moderation, and I'm sure that excessively hot showers could dehydrate the skin, but for most of us, it's not likely to be harmful. One of my joys in life is, at the end of my shower, to alternate cold and hot water. It energizes me, and I feel as if I'm walking on air out of the shower Smile

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I am lucky because I soak in a hot bath a few nights a week and have a hot shower in the mornings. I find it relaxes me and I don't seem to have any adverse skin effects because of it. During my pregnancies it was very hard for me to have to use wam water.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |