Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

FINACEA findings~ please read
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Tiffy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered some Finacea from epharmacy, I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

I was wondering if it could be used with BHA or AHA? Does anyone do this, or would it be too much?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Tiffy wrote:
I was wondering if it could be used with BHA or AHA? Does anyone do this, or would it be too much?

I'm using it with Retin-A and haven't had any irritation but it does cause extra peeling. I would do a patch test first. Remember, you are applying one acid over another. You could also alternate days, one day AHA one day Finacea.
speedmonkey

Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Mychelle Clear Skin Serum contains Azelaic Acid, I just don't know how much.

I've been using this for a couple of days and love the texture. So far (and it's only been three days) my breakouts have not gotten worse and my oil production is less. I need to give it a good couple of weeks.

I'd love to see someone compare this to the Finacea.

It's gotten great reviews and it's carried by some health food stores.

Ingredients:
Aqua, Hammamelis Extract, Ethanol, Aloe Vera Extract, Azelaic Acid, L-Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Niacinamide, Stone Root Extract, Retinol, Cranberry Extract, Ylang Ylang Essential Oil, Patchouli Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil, L-Limonene, Totarol, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, Pyridoxine, D-panthenol, Allantoin, D-biotin, D-beta Fructan.
masaholly
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:05 am      Reply with quote
what's the difference between 15% and 20% azelaic acid on their effectiveness?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I used it with renova and my skin freaked out, but I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin. It took a week to calm down.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I gave in to the temptation and ordered Finacea from epharmacy. Hope I'll get it soon. I can't wait to try it! Hope it'll help with all my blackheads and clogged pores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Hello All
So just an update for you on how "Finacea" is treating me. So far it has been 50 days, and I continue to see NOTHING but improvements. I am still on my first tube, and looks like it should go at least another 3 weeks before I need to reorder.(so I am happy with how long it lasts=$2.00 a day (approx). I have not had ONE major blemish since about three weeks ago now. I do get a couple spots that might be a little red, nothing really inflamed...I dab a little extra gel on them at night and in the morning, they are completely gone. Up until about three weeks ago, I had a few clogged pores still, and I thought "oh well, just a few" no biggie I can live with that, but then they almost went away completely! My skin has no grease, and it not dry either! I am so amazed at this product, I want to shout it from the highest tree!. I have a couple friends that I have told my results too, and they say it sounds great, but then they never go get it. I am sure they are thinking "yeah right", nothing else has worked"...but I thought that way too, but I was willing to try it. And BOY I am glad I did. My skin is like night and day, and I no longer have to worry about some big day coming up and will my face be all broke out, NOPE! It really has given me back my life, and I no longer hide. Go home early at night to wash my face.....take my makeup off the second I can, nope...I just live my life normal and my skin stays normal. Now all I hope is I do not become immune to it....so far so GOOD! Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I suffer from bumps on my forehead and down the sides of my face - they're blocked pores/cystic sort of bumps that are next to impossible to get rid of. In the past I've used lactic acid and have also tried rolling them with a dermaroller, then applying Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. All of this has greatly improved the look of the bumps. However, for the last few weeks I have been applying a dob of Finacea Gel on to each bump before going to bed. This has made a huge difference and my skin is about as smooth as it has ever been. I'm trying not to get too excited about this because these pesky bumps always return. However, it's so easy to just apply the Finacea so I really think I've got the situation under control.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I used it with renova and my skin freaked out, but I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin. It took a week to calm down.

I use renova at night, finacea in the day. So far it's working well.
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I need to update you all, too! It's been 20 days since I started with Finacea. I, too, have been very pleased with my results. My t-zone has been the big problem-area for me, and it's improved greatly. The pores on my nose are much less clogged, though the clogging is still there. The oil is greatly reduced on my nose. My forehead is a lot better, too. It's oilier than my nose, so I still have to blot it three-four times a day, but not hourly like before. Amazing! Breakouts on my forehead are just about non-existent.

I suspect that my skin is going through some purging. Last week I had several inflamed pores on my nose, on the verge of becoming full-fledged blemishes. It seemed that the Finacea brought them all to the surface. They're gone now and everything there looks very clear. Same thing with my forehead, though there were fewer blemishes, they were larger. Now, just about gone. I'm going into menopause - my periods are wacko - but it will be interesting to see how my skin acts when I have my next TOM.

For a long time I've had several of those under-the-skin bumps on my face, a few on my cheeks, one right next to my nose, that don't seem to do anything but sit there. So I've been dabbing Finacea on those, too. Same thing - they dry up and peel and then go down entirely. Yay!

I'm also seeing more clarity and evenness in my skin tone. I hope my oiliness continues to lessen and the clogging goes away entirely!

I'm changing my routine with Finacea, somewhat. I started twice a day, in all my problem areas, but now I'm noticing that my nose area is getting dry. So I'm still using the Finacea on my forehead twice a day, but cutting back on the other areas to just nightly. We'll see how that goes.

This is all so exciting to me, now I understand how everyone else (Bergquis, for example!)who's had success with Finacea feels. Let's hope it keeps up!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
Congratulations Zephyr! I'm so glad it's working for you.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
bergquis wrote:
Hello All
So just an update for you on how "Finacea" is treating me. So far it has been 50 days, and I continue to see NOTHING but improvements.......

I am so happy for you that found some thing that works. It can be such an up hill battle sometimes to find what will work for you. I know many people love finacea. I tried it for 6 months and it did not help me at all, some times I think my skin is crazy. I will probably give it another try at some point.
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if this was mentioned before, but Azelaic acid is more effective in an acidic pH (around 5.5).

I am using it with glycolic acid for this reason, and also because their effect is synergetic (the glycolic acid removes any left over debris).

-----------

Antimicrobial effects of azelaic acid
Authors: Kt Holland a; Ra Bojar a
Affiliation: a Skin Research Centre. Department of Microbiology, The University of Leeds, Leeds, UK

DOI: 10.3109/09546639309082152

Published in: Journal of Dermatological

In order to give pricing details we need to know your country. Please register and/or sign in to identify your country.
Sign In Online Sample
Abstract
Azelaic acid has been shown to be an effective topical acne therapy. Cream containing 20% azelaic acid significantly reduces the skin surface and follicular propionibacteria and staphylococci by at least 96% after 8 weeks of treatment. In vitro, azelaic acid reduces the growth rate of, and inhibits and kills Propionibacterium acnes and Staphylococcus epidermidis. The effect is dependent on the concentration of azelaic acid and the pH of the environment. Azelaic acid is more effective at low pH values. Azelaic acid is actively transported into P. acnes and S. epidermidis and its mode of action is directed to protein synthesis with 50% inhibition at 313 and 457 μM respectively. Follicular concentrations of azelaic acid reached those sufficient to inhibit both P. acnes and S. epidermidis after one application to the skin. No mutants resistant to azelaic acid appeared in P. acnes or S. epidermidis when they were grown for 9.8 1013 and 5.5 1013 cell generations, respectively, in its presence.

Source:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a787286195~db=all

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone from Canada ordered the finacea gel from e-pharmacy in Australia?. Have you had any problems getting it through Canadian customs?. TIA.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
doodles wrote:
Has anyone from Canada ordered the finacea gel from e-pharmacy in Australia?. Have you had any problems getting it through Canadian customs?. TIA.

I ordered 2 tubes about 4 months ago. Took 2 weeks to arrive with no problems at customs.
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks dollbird!
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:47 am      Reply with quote
Hello ladies,

I've been using Finacea gel (purchased from epharmacy) for 3 days now and so far, I've experienced NO itchiness or irritation at all whatsoever unlike other EDSers here. Is that normal? It makes me wonder whether it's working. hmm I use Retin-A every night (on top of emu oil mixed with HA), so I kinda expected my skin to be really sensitized and to experience major itchiness, but nada.

Also, I've been using SkinMedica vitamin C on top of Finacea with 15 minutes wait time in between, but I've experienced a lot of balling up. I remember one of the members saying to use Finacea first, then SkinMedica whereas if I would use a liquid C serum, then use C first then Finacea. Is there a reason behind that? What if I were to use SkinMedica C first, then Finacea? Would it make either of the products less effective?

Could someone chime in on this and help me out please? TIA! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
andaman_gypsy wrote:

I've been using SkinMedica vitamin C on top of Finacea with 15 minutes wait time in between, but I've experienced a lot of balling up. I remember one of the members saying to use Finacea first, then SkinMedica whereas if I would use a liquid C serum, then use C first then Finacea. Is there a reason behind that? What if I were to use SkinMedica C first, then Finacea? Would it make either of the products less effective?

Hi, A-G.
SkinMedica Vitamin C Complex will have a tendency to cause balling up no matter which product you apply underneath because it's silicon based. It's especially problematic to apply the C serum on top of sticky gels and products that don't absorb completely.

You should use a liquid vitamin C serum before Finacea because the product with thinnest consistency should always go on first when layering products.

My personal opinion is that layering products in many cases might be a bad idea because the products might "dilute" each other, thus making each product less effective. I don't know if you will get maximum effect from both products if you apply SkinMedica C Complex first with Finacea gel on top, but you can give it a try.

Smile

PS. A few products, like f. ex. glycolic acid, can enhance the absorption and effectiveness of other products, and can very well be layered.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
andaman_gypsy wrote:

I've been using SkinMedica vitamin C on top of Finacea with 15 minutes wait time in between, but I've experienced a lot of balling up. I remember one of the members saying to use Finacea first, then SkinMedica whereas if I would use a liquid C serum, then use C first then Finacea. Is there a reason behind that? What if I were to use SkinMedica C first, then Finacea? Would it make either of the products less effective?

Hi, A-G.
SkinMedica Vitamin C Complex will have a tendency to cause balling up no matter which product you apply underneath because it's silicon based. It's especially problematic to apply the C serum on top of sticky gels and products that don't absorb completely.

You should use a liquid vitamin C serum before Finacea because the product with thinnest consistency should always go on first when layering products.

My personal opinion is that layering products in many cases might be a bad idea because the products might "dilute" each other, thus making each product less effective. I don't know if you will get maximum effect from both products if you apply SkinMedica C Complex first with Finacea gel on top, but you can give it a try.

Smile

PS. A few products, like f. ex. glycolic acid, can enhance the absorption and effectiveness of other products, and can very well be layered.

Hi Septembergirl,

Thanks for your reply. I was already using SkinMedica C serum before I even started Finacea. I'll look into liquid C serums when I finish up this bottle of SkinMedica C. As for balling up, I never had any problems with it when I used other products with SkinMedica before...only with Finacea.

Re layering, I normally don't layer products (except for a serum, a moisturizer then a sunscreen), but I really don't wanna give up using an antioxidant serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I wouldn't worry about the Finacea not stinging - you're skin is probably used to the Retin-A and is not ultra-sensitive.

I only apply Finacea at night - after serums. On some occasions, I've applied it after emu oil, because I forgot to put it on first! I don't think it made any difference though.
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading all these posts, and took the plunge and ordered Skinoren (Azelex, supposedly) from InHouse pharmacy. Now I'm worried I wasted $. Not a lot, but still....Here's the thing, I've done lots of research on melasma, and read that azelaic acid can help with pigmentation. But GOW and other such sites do not have azelaic acid. (GOW says it's on backorder). That's how I was led to the Finacea threads, and how I ended up ordering the Skinoren- I figured I'd get the azelaic without a scrip. But I just read some really negative reviews on Makeup alley about skinoren- pore clogging (I have acne, too), and not helpful. Uh Oh. Sounds like the Finacea is good, Skinoren not so great. Ugh.

So, anybody try it? I've been using Retin-A for about 6 weeks, and find that the 12% glycolic acid ("Alpha Hydrox Souffle") I was using before getting the Retin-A was more effective in combatting acne, and the Retin A has done nothing to improve the melasma or lines. Sigh.
So, anybody use Skinoren? Notice any improvement with hyperpigmentation? THat's one thing the Retin-A has helped with- PIH, but NOT melasma!

Skinoren? Melasma? Anyone?
Looking forward to replies!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:35 am      Reply with quote
I thought that azealic acid worked mainly for PIH. I haven't read that it's recommended for melasma? I thought you need hydroquinone for that, either in the formulation of Tri-luma (a prescription cream) or the Obagi regime (please read posts on that topic). Or else lasers. I don't think it works for fine lines either. Retin-A is better for that but you need longer time to see the effect on fine lines compared to its effect on acne(more than 6 months, in some cases more than one year). In some cases, the fine lines around the eyes gets worse before it improves. Vitamin C serum (L-ascorbic acid 10% or higher) also helps with fine lines.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:02 am      Reply with quote
herama wrote:
....... But I just read some really negative reviews on Makeup alley about skinoren- pore clogging (I have acne, too), and not helpful. Uh Oh. Sounds like the Finacea is good, Skinoren not so great. Ugh.

If I remember correctly Skinoren is like Azelex which is 20% cream, finacea is 15% gel. For those who are acne prone finacea is a better choice.

Since you are only 6 wks on the retin-a you may want to hold off on starting anything else. It takes time for hyperpigmentation to fade. And it can take up to a year to see any improvement with fine lines (skinoren wont help with lines).

Also make sure you are using a good sunscreen or else its all for nothing.
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
I wrote a long reply earlier, but it didn't go through. Oh well. So, I know it can take time for Retin A to give results. And I do wear sunscreen. Sunblock, actually (UV Naturals SPF 30+). Thing that freaks me out right now, is that my face has gotten kinda pale, presumably as a result of the sunblock (for me- I'm usually outdoors 3+ hourse/day), but the melasma has NOT lightened- it has actually gotten darker! SO not my skin looks REALLY bad! Weird bad. Greyish/pale, with funky melasma patches (along with lovely PIH from old acne....). What the? I also noticed my skin starting to look worse a short time after starting with Vite. C serum. FIrst, I stopped adding MSM to the serum, then I cut down to using it once a day (morning, before sunscreen). The first few days, it did seem to make my skin look better. Now? I may have to stop it altogether. Plus, I am making it with glycerine, and despite the use of Retin A, I find my pores regularly clogged, and think it is due to the glycerine. I'm hoping the Azelaic acid will 1) help with the melasma, and 2) unclog the pores, since Retin A does not appear to be helping in that area.

I suppose I'll try the skinoren, since I already paid for it, and then look for the Finacea if the skinoren doesn't help.

Anybody try All Day Chemist's "Aziderm"? It's their version of Finacea. ANd it's cheaper than the stuff I just bought!

ANybody?
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I've been thrown for a loop on the Finacea front! Things had been going well, as I described in my last post. But right after that I saw my OB/Gyn for my regular check-up, and now she's treating me for hyperplasia. To make a long story short, I'm now on BC pills, for the progesterone to try to induce a period. I haven't had a normal one in several months. My endometrial lining is building up and not sloughing off, and that's not good. I could also take progesterone for ten days a month, but BC is easier. I'm not thrilled about being on BC but I hope it does what it's supposed to. I'm on the lowest dose possible.

So what does this mean for my skin? I can't tell if my skin is improving because of the BC (extra estrogen) or the Finacea, or both! Ack! And will my skin go haywire when I'm off the BC?

I'm continuing with the Finacea. I've been using it on my t-zone just at night now. There's even less oil than before, and a little more improvement in my skintone - still getting more even in color, pores less visible. I'm happy about all that, but now I don't know what to attribute it all to! Confused

Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |