Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What products to use to hydrate oily skin??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am      Reply with quote
So I've been trying ret a gel or taz in the pm and finacea in the am, each followed by emu oil or light moisturizer (and s/s in the am). After cleansing my face, it feels very tight and dehydrated, but my oily T-zone starts getting oily w/in 30 min. Therefore, I think my skin is oily but dehydrated.

I searched but couldn't find an easy answer to exactly what products to use to add hydration. Is it just moisturizer? Can oils (like emu) add hydration, or do they just sit on top of the skin?

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
EEEESH! I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. But I honest to Gawd, swear by cold pressed Avocado Oil.

A very light coating of this really will absorb and penetrate to the deepest layers of the skin, and NOT clog or congest the pores. You can omit the T-Zone if you prefer.

It contains things that are wonderful + healing for the skin!
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
So I've been trying ret a gel or taz in the pm and finacea in the am, each followed by emu oil or light moisturizer (and s/s in the am). After cleansing my face, it feels very tight and dehydrated, but my oily T-zone starts getting oily w/in 30 min. Therefore, I think my skin is oily but dehydrated.

I searched but couldn't find an easy answer to exactly what products to use to add hydration. Is it just moisturizer? Can oils (like emu) add hydration, or do they just sit on top of the skin?

tsjmom, I had the same problem as you - after cleansing my face felt tight and dehydrated, and then I was getting more and more oily. UNTIL - the wonderful ladies here opened my eyes that it was my cleanser causing it. So after I changed the cleanser to what was recommended - I realised that I`m not THAT oily!
so may I suggest that you revise your cleanser? it might be way too harsh and when you strip you natural oil from the skin, it begins producing more defending itself. The results are as described - skin looks oily but feels dehydrated!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe you should look for oil free moisturiser. It will give your skin the water it need without the oil. Sometime oily skin get more oily without moisturiser.This is a list of the one I try recently with good results.

-Proactiv green tea moisturiser
-Clinique moisture surge
-Cetaphil light moisture from the acne kit
-Paula Choice moisturizing gel

My next one is gonna be the oil free moisture from Kate Somerville.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
i second the avocado oil, and highly recommend hazelnut oil, too!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:

Well I don't know why you would want to add oil to already oily skin. Since you get oily pretty quick, just use a light moisturizer only on your dry spots. I think it was a good thing by waiting for 30 minutes to see what you're skin is like.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestions ladies!

My cleanser is very gentle with a pH 5.5 so I don't think it's that. I looked into avocado oil but it might be pore clogging for me (it was a 2/5).

Does anyone know what specific ingredients add hydration? Is hydration the same as moisture? I know HA serum can't penetrate the skin (according to Dr. Baumann the molecule is too large, it can only be injected). Any specific recs are appreciated Smile

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi tsjmom, since I have been using glycoliic acid cleanser and Finacea, I am noticing a little dry skin as well. I decided to incorporate Neutragena Anti-wrinkle/Anti-Blemish moisturizer. It does have Retinoil and S. Acid in it, but it is not too heavy and it does soak into my skin. I am using using it at night right now, because I wanted to see how it was going to act with my current routine. My cleanser Peter Thomas Roth is also PH balanced 5.6. The moisturizer is PH balanced. My new derm has been talking to me a lot about balancing my skin's PH because she said when my skin is not balanced it produces bacteria and oil. She tested my skin when I went in a couple weeks ago and she said my skin was very unbalanced. For me: clogged pores, and possibly of breakouts at any minute of the day, I STAY away from all oils! I have tried them, and they made my skin really clogged. I have tried Avo. Oil, Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Emu oils and they were all the same. Be careful. I have a friend that has gorgeous skin, she said she uses some oil of olay products, and oh bar soap sometimes and oh, shampoo sometimes. I had her try Jojoba Oil as the OCM and she loved it. But she has nice skin. (sorry for the long post)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:26 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom,
I have a similar thing going on as you describe plus reactive, congestion prone skin that doesn't tolerate oils left on the skin. I recently picked up a container of Mario Badescu's Seaweed Night Cream. I've been very pleased with it. It helps with dehydration and not causing excess oil, irritation or congestion. It's not the most pure formula because it contains parabens and a form of urea but my skin likes it. I've tried many "natural" options without the parabens, etc. and they usually irritate my skin. If you go to their website and fill out their skin type questionnaire, they will give you product reco's and send you samples.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:52 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |