Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anyone wear pantyhose/nylons? Help!

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Well, fall is around the corner - where did the summer go? Sheesh.

I am trying to get back into wearing cute skirts or dresses to work this fall and I'm wondering who makes a really, really nice pair of pantyhose?

I want them to look as natural as possible - but have a little bit of color b/c my legs are so pasty white.

In the past I've worn L'eggs but even they seem a bit thick -

Does anyone not even wear pantyhose even in the cold weather? Are they even in style anymore? Laughing People would go blind if they saw my natural pasty legs. The one or two times I wore a skirt this summer, I had applied a spray on tan type of product on my legs.

Also - I do have some cute Fall shoes that still have a peep toe - is it against the law to wear pantyhose if your toe peeps through the shoe? Laughing I don't want to be a "fashion DON'T".

Thanks!!! Laughing

Maria

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Where do you live? I'm in Chicago, and yes, absolutely, I wear pantyhose in cold weather if I'm wearing a cocktail dress. I also have pasty-white legs, and I'd look ridiculous in the dead of winter wearing an above-knee dress or skirt without pantyhose. The hose I'd be wearing would be dark (black or very dark navy) and sheer, and I'd probably be wearing closed-toe shoes. I just can't do open shoes when it's ten degrees outside.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm not young and can't get away with the no-pantyhose look all the time. I can't quite wrap my head around it.

But, all that being said, in warm weather, I hate wearing panty hose. I use self-tanner on my legs several times a week, because they're so incredibly pale and I just don't tan - I burn. So I can wear skirts and cropped pants and shorts and I don't blind anyone with my pasty legs.

I wore an above-knee dress to a formal wedding (afternoon Mass and evening reception) a few weeks ago, and didn't wear hose; just dressy sandals. I wore Spanx underneath the dress, and looked fine and felt comfortable. A long time ago I wouldn't have dreamed of going without hose, but times have changed and so has my thinking, I guess! And of course, my feet were well-pedicured and toes polished.

In a few weeks I'll be at a white-tie dinner and will be wearing a very dressy long skirt with matching jacket. My shoes are D'Orsay (closed toe and heel, but open sides) pumps, not sandals, but I think I will go without hose, because my feet will barely show, and it will probably be warm out. I'm still pondering this...

With the peep-toe shoes you mentioned, I think sheer-toe hose would be fine - not reinforced-toe hose! Without hose would be fine too. Another thought - it depends on the shoes. Sometimes shoes are uncomfortable, rub on our feet, causing blisters and sores unless we're wearing hose.

If you like the support and lack of pantylines that hose provide but want your legs/feet bare, try Spanx or the Target version of the same - I love these! There are long and short versions and I have both, in nude and black. I wish I'd invented these!

I agree that the hose issue is confusing. In cold weather I circumvent it almost entirely by wearing pants and longer skirts (tights underneath) with boots, or if I'm casually dressed, which is almost all the time, I'm in pants or jeans with socks and clogs or shoes.

I don't know if this has helped! It's a matter of comfort, and I also think that the hose issue is a regional and age issue. I'm curious to hear what others think!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add - when I do wear hose, I mostly wear the Givenchy brand in "Fawn"(?) - I think that's the color. It's a light taupe, sheer toe, moderate support. Most nudes/beiges in many brands look orange and awful on me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Hey there Zephyr -

I'm in the Northeast - New Hampshire actually.

I was in Marshalls yeterday (do you have Marshalls in the Windy City?) and their fall shoe display was sooooooo amazing - at one point I had 6 boxes in my cart and I reluctantly had to put 4 of them back. (I didn't want to though - and now of course this morning I'm sorry I didn't buy them) but a lot of their fall shoes did indeed have a peep toe.

Yes, I do own a pair of Spanx and they are a magical invention - especially when I'm feeling bloated

In the pantyhose - I've chosen "Suntan" in the past - and THOSE make my legs look super fake and orange - the "Nude" seem a little too light to me - just looking for something in between. So, Givenchy makes a nice pair of hose? I may have to try them.

I knoe what you mean about some shoes without hose killing your feet - I had bought a super cute pair and had them on without stockings but as my feet began to sweat during the day, wearing them became unbearable. Youch!!!!

Maria Cool

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
In the winter, instead of pantyhose I wear tights with my skirts whenever I can -- usually brown or black.

But mostly, I do as zephyr does and I avoid the issue by wearing pants or long skirts with boots.

Pantyhose seems so out of style (and aging!) but tights don't work with every skirt or dress.

Another option with those shorter dresses is to pair them with skinny jeans in the winter.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
no hoes for me, I was SO very glad when my company went to business casual dress and said women do not have to where nylons anymore. I feel and look OLD in them. No tights for me either...same thing as far as I am concerned. Since high boots are in, I wear my dresses or skirts with them. Or pants! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
Ugh pantyhose! Too Corporate. But it depends on your job. If you work in a corporation, do what the boss does.
Tights are what I do in the winter. Wolford and Oroblu make some that wear like iron and look fab. Pricey, but I've had the same ones for at least 8 years now.
Depends how funky you want to go, but I wear some funky anklets with open toes sometime. Tights too. Definitely not pantyhose.
White-tie dinner and open toes? Get a great pedi and wax and go commando! White legs never hurt Nicole Kidman.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
That's it - I need beautifully long, toned legs like Nicole Kidman's! If only... Sigh...

Pondering all this, the only other situation I can think of, besides being in a corporate-type job, where I'd need to wear hose, would be for a wake and/or funeral. I'd normally wear dark clothing for that, even in the summer, and bare legs just wouldn't work, especially with a suit or dress. What do you all think?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:57 am      Reply with quote
zephyr wrote:
That's it - I need beautifully long, toned legs like Nicole Kidman's! If only... Sigh...

Pondering all this, the only other situation I can think of, besides being in a corporate-type job, where I'd need to wear hose, would be for a wake and/or funeral. I'd normally wear dark clothing for that, even in the summer, and bare legs just wouldn't work, especially with a suit or dress. What do you all think?

Sadly, I have attended two funerals this year and so I have an answer about what I did.

The first was for a friend who lost her battle with breast cancer. The service was in early spring, and it was still a bit chilly so I wore tights with a knit jersey dress that they worked well with.

The other was for my father-in-law, and it was in May and I wore bare legs with spray-on leg cover up.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:00 am      Reply with quote
Even with self-tanner or spray-on, my legs are still pretty pale - passable, but still pale. I guess if I were wearing a longer dark skirt I could get away with bare legs, though! And it would be more comfortable.

This may sound morbid, but I like to have an outfit or two for myself and DS ready for funerals. Most of the year here is cold/cool, except for the summer months. With my luck, the next "major" funeral, you know, a close relative's, where you're expected to be there for everything, wake and cemetery and all, will be in 90 degree heat.

Otherwise, I'd guess I'd wear sheer dark hose with a suit. I love the look of tights with above-the-knee skirts and dresses, but I'm too short and my legs are too thick above my knees (thighs terribly out of shape) to carry it off in a more-than-casual situation.

Cathy Jean, I'm sorry for your losses. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Well, you could go to a major dept store and ask for a fashion consult. Even if you only bought a couple pair of hose/tights it might be worth it. It really takes someone in person to put it all together for you. Good luck with it and have fun.
Yes, sorry cathy_jean about your troubles.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks zephyr and fawnie for the condolences.

Zephyr, I can relate with wanting to have clothes at the ready. Maybe it's just my way of justifying yet another clothing purchase Wink ... oh, I'll need this dress just in case I get a wedding invite this fall, or this other one just in case I need to attend a funeral. Or, maybe it comes from being a former Girl Scout and that "always be prepared" thing Laughing

You know, one thing I did notice that while the majority of the women wore dresses or skirts, there were women who wore pants to both of these funerals. I believe it used to be taboo, but it doesn't seem to be anymore. Personally, I do feel more comfortable that I'm attired appropriately in a dress. And I wouldn't wear pants to a wedding, either.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I wear hose in the fall/spring, but starting in mid-fall I switch to tights. They last much longer than hose, and are more comfortable. This year they have the added benefit of being very "in" - and they are being shown with peep toe shoes everywhere.

As far as hose - I could name some brands that I like, but the reality is, they all stink. The important thing is to get your real size. when they are too tight, they are really uncomfortable. Since Marshalls/TJ Maxx stopped selling them (at least around here in CT), I've just given up and started getting supermarket brands. Yes, they're a little thicker, but they last longer too. I think I might even wear them (gulp!) with my peep toes. Seems like such a fashion faux pas, but I'm seeing it everywhere....

5% products discount

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am      Reply with quote
I personally don't wear them - I like my pale skin. But I do know about this site, which has a great selection. Legluxe.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
I agree, size is key to comfort and look. I used to assume that those charts on the back of the packets were accurate--ha ha! Not so. And different brands differ wildly on sizing. I personally like Donna Karan's sheerest hosiery, and can make do with Nordstrom's in a pinch. I always wait for sales and stock up, and I've realized that I wear them far less often than I did ten years ago. I wear pants a lot more and tights in the winter a lot more than was once the case. A welcome example of fashion changing in a more-comfortable-more-money-saving direction, for once!
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
That's another thing - size! I never really go by the charts on the back of the packages. I check what I'm supposed to be wearing, and then go two sizes larger. The hose last longer for me that way; I'm not pulling and stretching them to within an inch of their lives just to get them on, also avoiding punching a fingernail through them, and they just feel better. I can't stand that "toes being constricted into my thighs" feeling.

The more I read in this thread, the happier I am that I don't really have to wear hose all that often anymore.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Are there hose that looks so natural like your bare skin? And ppl can't tell that you're wearing one unless they touch it? Very Happy
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Are there hose that looks so natural like your bare skin? And ppl can't tell that you're wearing one unless they touch it? Very Happy

EXACTLY - Stardustdy - that's what I'm looking for too! I just bought more thoroughly cute shoes that I'm just dying to wear with skirts - but I really, really want a natual hose that just looks like my legs, with a smidge of color and just makes them look better!

Would love to get opinions if such hose exist!

Maria Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:08 am      Reply with quote
So glad you just posted because yesterday I was, for the very first time, wearing peep toe shoes with hose. I kept waiting for the fashion police to come and arrest me - but they never did. Apparently it's ok!

I've given up on wearing hose that look like my legs. In order to look that good, they'd have to be so sheer that I'd rip them while putting them on. I'm not quite a delicate person. More like a lumberjack (in peep toe shoes).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
usually those sheer pantyhose has a sheen on it that reflects light making it obvious that u r wearing one?
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:20 am      Reply with quote
I'm torn on this one. I'm pretty young still (27 -- does that still count as young? Laughing), and I'm kind of in the generation that tends to eschew pantyhose. (My mom always wore those Suntan L'eggs when I was a kid, and I thought it looked HORRIBLE!) But then again, I'm pasty white, chubby around the middle, and riddled with ugly bruises and scars on my legs, so I love the look that a good pair of pantyhose can provide.

However, I'm very tall and not a beanstalk, so I've had trouble finding hose that fit my body. Lots of plus sizes cap out at around 5'8", and lots of tall sizes cap out at around 150# (!). So I'm kinda stuck. I actually tried wearing stockings and garter belts intstead for a while, but that wasn't a great solution either. And neither are those thigh-high "hold ups" -- they leave welts on my legs where the silicone grips!

But aaaaah, SPANX! The joy of Spanx. They make a ton of sizes and styles, including nylons that are toeless and meant to be worn with open-toed shoes. Personally, I don't think it looks good to have any kind of hose covering your toes if they're exposed. So the toeless sandal-geared Spanx are the way to go, IMO.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah ginnieliz, SPANX are such a great invention!
....and speaking of garterbelts.....I'm not naming any names, but I worked in a place once where I saw a woman lift up her skirts to pull out her wad of bills - tucked up there in her stocking, it was! And she had the commando thang goin on too. Just the garter belt and the "ho's" !!!
Nice look, huh? Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
toeless Spanx? How did I miss those? I see the footless ones, but not the toeless ones (I'm assuming full coverage that stops at the toes). Can someone post a link???

by the way, I realized why some Spanx roll up and some don't. Some are too small and some fit. I guess I went up a size. sigh.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ahhh, Spanxx are a girl's best friend. Especially in the fall as cooler weather requires a girl to start wearing clingy jersey type skirts and dresses but it's not warm enough to break out the boots and tights.

I too suffered from the "mid thigh rollup" so I usually stick to the pair that goes to the knees. Unless I'm wearing a shorter skirt, then I'll wear standard panty hose.

BTW, if you have a Nordstrom's Rack nearby, that's the place to buy your Spanxx. Only $10.00 for each pair.

Just bought a new pair of boots, seems to be a fall tradition with me! Very Happy Can't wait to wear them but it's still a little too hot here in SoCal to wear them.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Yeah ginnieliz, SPANX are such a great invention!
....and speaking of garterbelts.....I'm not naming any names, but I worked in a place once where I saw a woman lift up her skirts to pull out her wad of bills - tucked up there in her stocking, it was! And she had the commando thang goin on too. Just the garter belt and the "ho's" !!!
Nice look, huh? Rolling Eyes

UGH! Garter belt wearers like this are the reason I don't want to wear them... don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! Though I could use the tips... Laughing

Another tip -- if you need to go up a size but you already wear their biggest size, try Torrid. They carry plus-sized stuff and recently started stocking Spanx for larger ladies -- i.e. a dream come true for me! I'm not THAT much larger -- I'm on the heavy side of HWP, but I'm tall and just not a slight gal by any stretch. So their plus sizes are great -- no bulging or rolling for this gal!

Srgensic, I don't have time to look around for a link before I crash tonight but I'm pretty sure I've seen toeless! I'll update if I come across them.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:23 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

B Kamins Clear Control Purifying Masque (120 g / 4 oz) RevitaLash Simply Stunning Lashes (2 items) Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Mask (50 ml /  1.7 floz)