Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm shopping at SkinActives for the ingredients to Firming/Smoothing/Anti-Oxidant Cream but can't find all of them.
When I search for Lactic Acid I get Alpha/Beta exfoliating System, surly that is not the same ingredient or is it.
Also there is no Algae Extract, no Palm & coconut oils and the base cream is called Canvas.
I would rather buy all ingredients from the same website so I don't have to pay S/H twice.
Thank you all for your help.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what happened to my post answering this question last week..

Anyhoo, I believe I got my Lactic Acid and Algae Extract from http://thepersonalformulator.com many moons ago.. (It last's forever.)

The oils I get from http://www.tropicaltraditions.com but they are available in lots of places.

The Skinactives base creams and lotions are called "Canvas", and are both very nice for making creams and lotions..

In a perfect world all could be had at one location, but alas, it isn't a perfect world.. Crying or Very sad

The bright side, is that once you've placed an order or two, you will have no need to do it again for at least a year!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much, Kassy.
I'll get busy with placing an order and formulating. This is so exciting!
You are indispensable in this forum.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
She sure is Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Awwwww, such sweeties!

Can you see me blushing... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
At the risk of being a pest, I must ask again where to find Algae extract & Lactic acid, The personal Formulator does not have them,(maybe they carried it in past...) neither do other sites. I also googled it and now I'm getting discouraged.
Alley, I know you made the Firming/Smoothing cream did you buy the ingredients recently? Where?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
At the risk of being a pest, I must ask again where to find Algae extract & Lactic acid, The personal Formulator does not have them,(maybe they carried it in past...) neither do other sites. I also googled it and now I'm getting discouraged.

Here ya go;

Lactic Acid

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=59

Algae Extract

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/index.php?cPath=12

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Oh Kassy, both links say "product not found"
I give up!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
They came up for me! Don't give up - they're there!
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I got it! I got it!
Both products came up this time. It must have been a glitch in the system yesterday.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Belleza good you found them!!

Check out this thread - it has an ever expanding list of the places we all buy our DIY ingredients from.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=32529

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Here's one;

If you're willing to experiment a little try this;

60% lotion you have on hand (emulsifier is in it more than likely)
10% distilled water (will thin it down)
10% matrixyl 3000
10% SKB
10% divided for the 3 ingredients you mentioned

I would start by adding the 'oils' to the lotion separately, and then add the other ingredients one by one to that.

If you want it more serum like, just reverse the amounts for lotion (10%) + H2O (60%). You might have to adjust it, to incorporate the oils, if 10% isn't working!

ETA: If you have any Emu Oil laying around, a little of that will help boost absorpt

Kassy, would you be so kind and change the % in this recipe to tsps? I bought all ingredients but to start with I don't know how to measure 60% cream. If I use 1 oz. cream then I know that 10% equals 3 ml, but with these percentages I can't figure out how much cream to use.
(I feel inadequate Crying or Very sad Sad ) thank you so much!
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza I am horrible at math also. Which frustrates me to no end.... I hope someone who isn't comes along and double checks what I think is the answer

If 10% = 3 ml then 40% total of your serum is 12 mls.
Therefore you need a total of 30ml fluid which is 1.01 oz therefore you need 18 mls of base lotion. Here are some conversion site that help me. http://www.curezone.com/conversions.asp

Also you can simply type into Google "how much is 40% of 24 ml" for example and it will give you the answer.

sorry I never answered your question 1 tsp + 6 ml so you will need 3 tsp of base

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Alley, you are a doll!!!
But I'm still confused.

So, I can use 3 tsp. of cream, 3 ml Matrixyl, 3 ml oils. I'm using CVS perfecting cream as base which has miacinamide in it.

Does this sound right?
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
yes to me that sounds right....
Unfortunately Bellezza you and I are the blind leading the blind hmm hmm hmm hmm

Lets cross our fingers that Kassy comes to the rescue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a conversion chart that might come in handy for all of us;

http://www.i4at.org/lib2/metric.htm

60% lotion you have on hand (emulsifier is in it more than likely)
10% distilled water (will thin it down)
10% matrixyl 3000
10% SKB
10% divided for the 3 ingredients you mentioned

So it's 18ml (3 tsp + 3 ml) of base cream and (3 ml) of each of the remaining 4 ingredients ='s 30ml (1oz) total volume..

You can easily double or triple this if you want more than an ounce..

Here are the measurements that come in handy for me, and the most helpful.. (I am also a dunce when it comes to math, so thank God for conversion charts.. Embarassed )

2 1/2 ml ='s 1/2 tsp
5 ml ='s 1 tsp
15 ml ='s 1 TBS
30 ml ='s 1 oz
60 ml or 1/4 cup ='s 2 oz
3 tsp ='s 1 TBS
2 TBS ='s 1 oz

Another tip, 1, 5 and 10 ml syringes are a great thing to have on hand! Any drugstore has them.

ETA: I'm glad you took my suggestion with the "perfecting cream".. Really nice stuff! Did you whack it open? Very Happy

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
Using the proportions listed above I ended up with the most luxurious night cream! The only thing I did different was to use Emu oil only.

This is so much fun!!!

I also bought CVS eye cream and would like to bring it a notch up. Can I add hyaluronic acid to it? Or would DMAE be a better choice?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Be careful with the HA, and keep it at no more than 1% (there we go with the %'s again.. Rolling Eyes ) Reason being is 1, too much HA in a cream/serum will cause moisture loss, as it sucks the moisture from your cells.. (HA holds 1000 times it's weight in moisture, so you need to provide it elsewhere.. And 2, too much will leave you with a snotty, goopy, useless cream or serum.. Embarassed (Been there, done that.. Embarassed )

If you want to try DMAE (which helps with firming) just keep it at 3 to 5% (there we go again.. Rolling Eyes )

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! I'm coping a lot better with % now.

I bought HA & now I can't remember what recipe I wanted to try... I got over enthusiastic...

The chemist at Skinceutical (or TPF) told me DMAE will liquefy cream. Should I mix it with SKB before I add it to cream?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
LOL! I'm coping a lot better with % now.

I bought HA & now I can't remember what recipe I wanted to try... I got over enthusiastic...

The chemist at Skinceutical (or TPF) told me DMAE will liquefy cream. Should I mix it with SKB before I add it to cream?

Yes, absolutely.. Always do that with DMAE. There's another active that liquifies things too, but I can't remember which one.. Confused

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Cross posting from the Anti-Aging LightStim thread for all you LED users;

PRE-TREATMENT SERUM FOR LED USE

3oz distilled water
1 TBS AHA cream (I use Alpha Hydroxy Souffle, but I guess any would do)
1 TBS SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1/2 tsp HA (Hyaluronic Acid)
1/4 tsp Green Tea Extract (optional but nice)

Gently warm the water in the microwave for 5 or 6 seconds and set aside.

Mix the HA + Green Tea into the SKB, add that mixture to the AHA cream, then very gradually add the water, while stirring constntly.

For those of you who use and are well conditioned to copper peptides, it would be a good addition to this serum in a very small quantity..(like drops, not spoonfuls.. Shock )

So that's it Kiddie's... Have fun, and may the *light* be with you!
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - Alpha Hydroxy Souffle is what line? From a drugstrore, right...
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Kassy - Alpha Hydroxy Souffle is what line? From a drugstrore, right...

Yep, the line is "Alpha Hydroxy", and you can find it in some drugstores and also on the web at amazon etc..

Just an FYI for those new to this line is; start at a lesser concentration + work your way up..

For the Alpha Hydrox Line here is the lowdown;

AH Lotion is 8%

AH Cream is 10%

AH Souffle is 12%

They also have a nice foaming face wash that I use 'occassionally'... But a tip here is this; unless you apply and leave for 5 or so minutes then rinse, don't waste your money.. Very Happy

You guys can buy AHA from just about any DIY place, and use it for this serum.. (I just used my souffle, because I have a bunch on hand.. It would be even better to use the active without the filler ingredients!)

miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
So Kassy, if you use the active AHA on its own instead of the Alpha Hydroxy, is it still the same amount, ie, one tablespoon? I assume it might be less as it is pure. Thanks so much for all your wonderful recipes Kassy.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
I made the AALS serum last night and used it this morning with my light. It is awesome. The texture is really light, a little goes a long way and it absorbed in less than 5 minutes.

Miss Anna I used a DIY AHA from Ingredients to Die For which is 12% and I used the full 1 Tbsp.

This would be a great intro into DIY for anyone interested in getting their feet wet.

Kassy as always I bow done in awe ...

Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |