Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone guess what 2 capsules of Vit E would be? Maybe 1/4 tsp?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Can anyone guess what 2 capsules of Vit E would be? Maybe 1/4 tsp?

It's probably close to it Frodo..

For anybody who thinks they might try DIY on a regular basis, it's worth getting a small bottle of liquid vitamin E.. All the formulating sites have it, and it's cheap. And then you don't have to worry about fillers.. (Capsules are fine in a pinch though!)

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
I bought a bottle as per Kassie from Personal formulator. Should be arriving shortly. And then I'm off to formulate. My EDS order should come soon too. My new years resolution - beauty at a better price Laughing
(thanks to Kassie)
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Ladies I just made and used Kassy C+E+Ferulic serum and it is amazing!!! She is right about being patient and waiting for the ascorbic acid to dissolve. The texture is wonderful, silky smooth, absorbed very quickly, not oily at all. This is my new C serum for about 50 cents a bottle!!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:52 am      Reply with quote
Awww shucks, now I'm blushing ... Very Happy

I'm happy you love it Alley, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sis, we'll have you addicted to DIY in no time.. Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I had a couple of PM's from newer members regarding the recipe's I've shared, and just want to make it clear to all, that I do not "SELL" anything. I offer the recipe's freely for DIY enthusiasts. The few members I've sent a cream/lotion/serum to has either been a gift, or in another case a trade.

Also, please keep in mind, that this is just a hobby for me, I am NOT a professional formulator..

The recipe's I share have all been used by myself and other's with good results, before I share them with you all here. Of course, no one thing is going to work for everyone as written, so I'm happy to figure out adjustments for those folks.

I am happy to answer questions, to the best of my ability, and also help anyone to figure out the best things for "their" individual needs, and help them to formulate custom recipe's..

Please feel free to share the good or bad here, so we can all benefit and learn together.. Very Happy

And thanks to all of you, for the vote of confidence. I'm humbled, for real!

.. K

Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have a question. Do you know of any UK-based websites that sell cosmetic ingredients? I googled it but all that turned up was either text about cosmetic ingredients or ready-made cosmetics and what they're made of.

Thanks Smile
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy what do you think about this eye serum? I don't have a lot of experience with these ingredients

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/formulations/eyeserum.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Kassy what do you think about this eye serum? I don't have a lot of experience with these ingredients

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/formulations/eyeserum.htm

I have never used, and don't have a real clue about this ingredient; [Hydroxyethylcellulose-ready-to-blend]...

Just from looking at this word, (Hydroxyethylcellulose) off the top of my head, I would guess that when it's absorbed by cells/fluids it would cause swelling.. So swelling would certainly fill out wrinkles temporarilly. (Kind of like what DMAE does.) As for the ready to blend part, that is just their base lotion I would imagine. Matrixyl is a great active for wrinkles.. I posted a recipe a year ago with that in it.. But Gawd knows where .. Rolling Eyes

Why don't you start a topic on it in the Skincare + Makeup forum.. Lots of members use the skinactives products...hmm!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
I have a question. Do you know of any UK-based websites that sell cosmetic ingredients? I googled it but all that turned up was either text about cosmetic ingredients or ready-made cosmetics and what they're made of.

Thanks Smile

Gee Fox, I don't... Lots of UK girls do DIY though, so I'm sure they will share their thoughts.

I'll try a google for you, and see what I can find.

Edited to add: Well now, lookie here what I found for you;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=24096&highlight=diy+skincare

stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A: Any chance you could repost you DIY recipe with Matrixyl? So far, based on your recommendations, I have purchased the AALS, Dermwand, and am currently awaiting the ingredients for your DIY Vitamin C serum. Your recommendations have been excellent - please continue!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
stovetop wrote:
Kassy_A: Any chance you could repost you DIY recipe with Matrixyl? So far, based on your recommendations, I have purchased the AALS, Dermwand, and am currently awaiting the ingredients for your DIY Vitamin C serum. Your recommendations have been excellent - please continue!

Ah, thanks so much stovetop... I'll try to find it with the search feature.. It was one of my very first, I'm sure I can do better now .. Very Happy

Why don't you refresh my memory about your skin, so I can give it some thought... Idea

stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A : I just turned 60 with very fair skin, with rosacea, sagging, jowls, wrinkles - everything you would expect at 60. Fighting it with AALS, Dermawand, Facial Flex and Magic Circle (Pilates) for the jawline. I have Flex Effect but haven't started it yet and am about to order "Ageless if you Dare". Have the dermaroller but will not be attempting it until I have read the entire thread here - probably after Christmas. I am armed and ready to do war on aging!!!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
stovetop wrote:

I found two, and am copying them from the original posts.

Here's one;

If you're willing to experiment a little try this;

60% lotion you have on hand (emulsifier is in it more than likely)
10% distilled water (will thin it down)
10% matrixyl 3000
10% SKB
10% divided for the 3 ingredients you mentioned

I would start by adding the 'oils' to the lotion separately, and then add the other ingredients one by one to that.

If you want it more serum like, just reverse the amounts for lotion (10%) + H2O (60%). You might have to adjust it, to incorporate the oils, if 10% isn't working!

ETA: If you have any Emu Oil laying around, a little of that will help boost absorpt

And another; (This is for serious wrinkles)

3oz base cream or lotion (I use lotion)
1 tsp Argereline
1 tsp Hyaluronic Acid
1/2 tsp Matrixyl 3000 (or whatever equals 10% Confused )
1/4 tsp Wheat Protein
1/8th tsp (or pinch) Idebenone

You can get a good base cream/lotion from TPF which has preservatives in it already. Sometimes I just use a decent drug store cream as my base. Just make sure whatever you use, doesn't have mineral oil in it.

All of the actives can be bought at;

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com
http://www.cellbone.com

Cellbone is my favorite. The prices are great, and they send you full size freebies with your order.

Of course any recipe can be tweaked for individual needs, and because my math computations leave plenty to be desired, feel free to double check..

I get a laugh thinking about John accusing me of not liking Matrixyl in the NOTCH thread... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
stovetop wrote:
Kassy_A : I just turned 60 with very fair skin, with rosacea, sagging, jowls, wrinkles - everything you would expect at 60. Fighting it with AALS, Dermawand, Facial Flex and Magic Circle (Pilates) for the jawline. I have Flex Effect but haven't started it yet and am about to order "Ageless if you Dare". Have the dermaroller but will not be attempting it until I have read the entire thread here - probably after Christmas. I am armed and ready to do war on aging!!!

I'm with ya Toot's ... Laughing

You have to be a little careful because of the Rosacea, because many things can trigger it... Keeping irritants, and occlusive ingredients to a minimum are a good thing though. You want to look for soothing, healing actives + cold pressed non occlusive oils that sink right in...

I remember from way back when you considered using DMAE topically.. Did you ever try it? I'm not a fan of it, but lots of our members love it. If you do decide to give it a try, just keep it below 5% in your formulation.

For the dreaded jowly sag, I think facial exercise will help us out more than anything else... I have tightened up quite a bit from the AALS, but I'm sure the exercises will really help the most there.

You reminded me of the Derma Wand, that I've been sooo neglecting lately.. I really love that dopey little gadget. It gives such a nice eye lift, and can't be beat for zapping the occasional zit.

So I have the tools, now I just have to drag myself away from EDS, and get to it ... Dancing

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
For Stovetop, and anyone else suffering from Rosacea, keeping the inflammation down, and keeping the skin barrier healthy are the most important things..

Also keeping some kind of diary, will let you keep track of what *your* triggers are. There are several different stages of Rosacea, and seeing the Dr at the earliest sign of it, can really help things to not get out of hand..

Here are a few things that might be helpful;

Minimizing Flareups;

Steer clear of rubbing, scrubbing or massaging the face, which can irritate the skin. Gently apply all soaps, moisturizers, sunscreens and other products.

Avoid hot drinks, spicy foods and alcoholic beverages.

Protect your skin from the sun by using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher and wear protective clothing: long-sleeve shirts, long pants and a wide-brimmed hat.

Try not to become overheated. Avoid hot baths and showers. Try to exercise where it is cool.

Be sure to protect your skin from extreme cold, which can irritate the skin and cause a flare-up.

Do not use cosmetics, soaps, moisturizers and other facial products that might contain ingredients, such as alcohol and fragrances, which irritate the skin.

Be careful not to get hair spray on your face.

Topical Medications That May Be Prescribed;

Azelaic acid

Metronidazole

Retinoid (A topical retinoid also can help heal the skin.)

Sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur lotions

Benzoyle Peroxide

Classic Signs and Symptoms of Rosacea

Flushing of Face/Neck

Dry Facial Skin

Pimples (people with rosacea have visible small blood vessels and their pimples, some containing pus, appear as small, red bumps.

Red Lines (Telangiectasia) which appear when they flush. This is due to small blood vessels of the face becoming enlarged and showing through the skin. These red lines usually appear on the cheeks

Facial Burning, Stinging or Itching

http://www.skincarephysicians.com/rosaceanet/index.html (Tons more info available!)

Good Things To Use On Your Skin;

Avocado oil
Avocado oil consists of approximately 85 percent unsaturated fatty acid glycerides, including oleic acid (65%) and linoleic acid glycerides (6-10%). Vitamins A, C and E, squalenes and lecithin are other components. Avocado oil spreads well and is easily absorbed into the skin where it supports the natural barrier function.

Rosehip Oil
Rosehip oil is a great alternative treatment to lotions and creams for keeping skin healthy and hydrated. Rosehip Oil has amazing anti-aging, antioxidant and skin-softening properties that can help any skin type and is good for skin of all ages. Rosehip oil can be used by itself or added to other creams or serums. It consists of about 80% fatty acids which will plump and hydrate the skin, and help repair damaged cells. It has abundant vitamin C also.

MSM Supplement;
I'm thinking that this supplement could be beneficial to Rosacea sufferers because sulpha, in general, is a good anti-inflammatory agent.. (I've even used a capsule or two of Opti-MSM in some DIY...Only this one will due, because it's pure with NO fillers. Dissolve in distilled water first).. Avoid though, if you deal with facial hair .. Crying or Very sad

Of course your Derm will advise you on the best treatment for each unique case..

Hope that helps!

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
Ladies I just made and used Kassy C+E+Ferulic serum and it is amazing!!! She is right about being patient and waiting for the ascorbic acid to dissolve. The texture is wonderful, silky smooth, absorbed very quickly, not oily at all. This is my new C serum for about 50 cents a bottle!!!!!

YAY! Hope you Love it and it works like the bomb!
stovetop
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am      Reply with quote
KASSY_A - Thanks for the info. DMAE was not effective with me either. Could you please expand on the "MSM" and your "facial hair" comment? I have no info on this. Besides "Viterol" are there any other manufactured skincare products that you use?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
stovetop wrote:
Could you please expand on the "MSM" and your "facial hair" comment? I have no info on this. Besides "Viterol" are there any other manufactured skincare products that you use?

MSM supplement makes hair grow in my experience twice as fast.. I have used it here and there in my DIY serums, without any ill effect personally...But, and there's always a but; If a person tends to have facial hair problems, it could exacerbate that in theory.. Confused It's worth a try though!

I also love this juice beauty product and get it here at EDS;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-soothing-ser-p_7975.htm

It's a wonderful product for semi-homemade DIY'ers.. It's loaded with nice ingredients, and has sufficient emulsifiers and preservatives in it... I often use it as a base, and just add more actives to it!

I also regulary use or formulate with;

Alpha Hydroxy Souffle
Alpha Hydroxy Foaming Face Wash
An Olay knockoff at CVS called "Perfecting Serum" (I think!)
Loreal Revitalift Double Eye Lift (I don't use this regularly, but it's a good product)
Cetaphil Cleanser
Cetaphil Cream (Comes in a big tub, and is great to use as a base for DIY body cream)

ETA: As you can see from everything I mentioned above, I don't believe anybody has to spend a fortune, to have nice products... Very Happy

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have to know - what actives do you put into the juice beauty stuff?

Kassy wrote:
AI also love this juice beauty product and get it here at EDS;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-soothing-ser-p_7975.htm

It's a wonderful product for semi-homemade DIY'ers.. It's loaded with nice ingredients, and has sufficient emulsifiers and preservatives in it... I often use it as a base, and just add more actives to it!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:39 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I have to know - what actives do you put into the juice beauty stuff?

It depends on who I'm making it for, and what they are looking to address. That's the great part about DIY, you can put in just what suits you.

For me, I've enhanced it with the following at one time or another; (I continually change things so my skin doesn't get in a rut. I seldom make more than 1oz of serum at a time. These are the actives I use most often.)

- Anti-Wrinkle System (Argereline & Matrixyl 3000 from TPF) I've used this in eye serums, for those pesky crows feet.)
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (rich in amino acids, A + E)
- Green Tea Extract (lots of anti-oxidants and has great anti-inflammatory effects)
- Algae Extract (lots of anti-oxidants + holds moisture in your skin)
- Kukui Oil (helps to restructure skin, high in fatty acids, good for mature, wrinkled or sun damaged skin)
- Grapeseed Oil (great emolient for dryer skin, and loaded with anti-oxidants)

For fans of DMAE, you can add it *fairly* safely up to 5%.

Hope that helps!

Suk Han
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A:

Why you choose Juice Beauty Soothing serum. How about the Antioxidant serum.

Thank you
Suk Han
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Suk Han wrote:
Kassy_A:

Why you choose Juice Beauty Soothing serum. How about the Antioxidant serum.

Thank you
Suk Han

The anti-oxidant serum is nice too, I just prefer not to use products that contain DMAE for myself.. Although the little bit that's probably in this serum, wouldn't matter anyhoo.. I doubt it's more than 1%.

Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Okay Kassy I just ordered a bunch of stuff to make your eye serum - I am going to tweek it a bit. Let me know if you see anything counter productive. My plan is to follow your eye serum base which is equal parts of SKB, glycerin + any base or eye cream you like.

Dang it I just realized it didn't order the glycerin.....

DMAE (Just keep this at 3%)
wheat protein
argerilene
Eyeliss instead of seaweed extract
cucumber extract
green tea extract
vitamin e oil - instead of avocado oil or I could use emu oil also - comments ????
Pepha - tight instead of mushroom extract

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 am      Reply with quote
DMAE (Just keep this at 3%)

Kassie -
Question: Do you mean 3% of total formula? Ex: 3% of a 1 oz total???
Sounds like a math equation. Have to think about this. I ordered some DMAE to put into a light moisturizing cream I have and I know it shouldn't be more than 5%. I'll probably do a small 1 oz batch as per the containers I ordered from The Personal Formulator and see how it goes

Still waiting on the Viteral to arrive.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |