Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help for new natural mascara
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
elmoparis
5% products discount

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:09 am      Reply with quote
The problem with my lashes is that they are stick straight, and refuse to hold a curl. I have a lot of lashes, they are fairly thick. They are quite long, too, but have blondish tips, so they need mascara to bring out full length.

My current method, which is working quite well to hold the curl, is to blast my eyelash curler with the hairdryer, and after making sure it is not too hot, curl my lashes. After that, I apply shiseido mascara base. These two steps help the curl stay.

Now what I need is good mascara to go over the shiseido base. The thing I hate about most mascaras is that they are too clumpy. I want something quite liquidy in texture and natural looking for everyday wear. An intense black that is shiny, not matte, would be nice. As I am a contact lens wearer, a mascara that flakes is unwearable for me.

I am just using Maybelline Great lash at the moment, because I needed something and it was cheap. It is ok. I lot of people recommend the Blinc mascara, but I don't like the tubing mascaras, the removal is too weird.

A lot of recs on this forum are for dramatic lashes, or building volume. Any recs for something natural, non clumpy, shiny and longlasting, that won't kill the curl I have worked so hard to get?
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 am      Reply with quote
I switched about a month ago from Blinc Kiss Me Mascara, which was damaging my lashes, to L'Oreal Bare Naturale. I'm not sure how "naturale" it really is, but it is paraben-free, and that's good enough for me. It has jojoba oil and aloe vera--I guess that's the natural part! I really like it so far, well enough to have bought a back up tube when it was on sale. It's saving me quite a bit of money: the Kiss Me was $25 a tube and the L'Oreal is about $10. I got the sale tube for $5.

My big problem has always been mascara smudging under my lower lashes. I'm not really sure if this does because I'm only wearing it on my top lashes, but it makes them long enough that I don't miss wearing mascara on the lower.

On the clumping, this claims to be clump-free. I really don't think that's possible in mascara. But this one is pretty good, as long as you pull the wand quickly out of the tube. If you pull it out slowly, the brush isn't cleaned off as well. Just a tip if you decide to try it.
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Oh, it makes my lashes really long and full, too. I guess that's important to note, huh?

It's also really easy to remove. My damaged lashes are growing back nicely. Yay!
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Okay, stupid question, I know, but how do you know if your eyelashes are damaged? Besides falling out a lot?

I loove Kiss Me mascara - I've been using it for four or five years, but never occurred to me that it could damage my eyelashes. I only wear it on my top lashes, though. I think even Kiss Me looks too thick and unnatural on my lower lashes. I dye my lowers. In general, I can't stand the clumpy look of mascara on lashes. I hated the smudges I used to get before I used Kiss Me - that's why it's my HG mascara now.

BTW, my lashes are long, straight, and blondish at the ends, too. But they look funny and shorter curled Confused , so I don't bother with that...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:42 am      Reply with quote
One very natural option is Zuzu Luxe "The Mascara" -- I've been using it for about a month so far, and no troubles with raccoon eyes. The only time I notice it flaking is if I don't use makeup remover to remove it at the end of the day -- it needs more than soap and water. Not sure that it really counts as liquidy, but it does look very natural on, provides just the right amount of color for me (like you, I'm lucky and don't have to worry about length or volume). I've also been reading good things about Tarte's new mascara, which has gone all natural like the rest of the brand. Haven't personally tried it though. Good luck!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Annie B
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:42 am      Reply with quote
zephyr wrote:
Okay, stupid question, I know, but how do you know if your eyelashes are damaged? Besides falling out a lot?

I loove Kiss Me mascara - I've been using it for four or five years, but never occurred to me that it could damage my eyelashes. I only wear it on my top lashes, though. I think even Kiss Me looks too thick and unnatural on my lower lashes. I dye my lowers. In general, I can't stand the clumpy look of mascara on lashes. I hated the smudges I used to get before I used Kiss Me - that's why it's my HG mascara now.

BTW, my lashes are long, straight, and blondish at the ends, too. But they look funny and shorter curled Confused , so I don't bother with that...

There is no such thing as a stupid question!

My situation was exactly like yours. Every mascara smudged. Kiss Me was my HG for several years. But my eyelashes were being pulled out when I removed the mascara. No matter what I used to remove it or how gentle I was. I finally decided to look for something else when I had a very small area on my lower left eyelid that was completely bare of eyelashes! The lashes around that area were very short, curled in weird directions, and just didn't look right. In general, my eyelashes looked like crap.

Since I've stopped using Kiss Me, overall my eyelashes look sooo much better. And longer. The little bare patch has filled in very quickly and the lashes are almost as long as the rest. When I wore Kiss Me, I used to hate the way I looked with no mascara on my bottom lashes. Now I know they looked bad b/c they were so damaged. They look great now!
zephyr
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, gotcha. Nope, that doesn't sound good - short, weirdly curled eyelashes and missing lashes in general. I've never had that happen with Kiss Me, so far, anyway. So I'll stay with it. I'm not a daily mascara-wearer; maybe two or three times a week. I lose a few lashes everyday, I can feel them about to come out. But they've always been like that. And my lashes are like the rest of my hair - thick and fast-growing. Thank God for small favors!

I'm glad your lashes have recovered, Annie B, and that you've found solutions!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
One very natural option is Zuzu Luxe "The Mascara" -- I've been using it for about a month so far, and no troubles with raccoon eyes. The only time I notice it flaking is if I don't use makeup remover to remove it at the end of the day -- it needs more than soap and water. Not sure that it really counts as liquidy, but it does look very natural on, provides just the right amount of color for me (like you, I'm lucky and don't have to worry about length or volume). I've also been reading good things about Tarte's new mascara, which has gone all natural like the rest of the brand. Haven't personally tried it though. Good luck!

I love Zuzu Luxe mascara - it's the only one I use. No raccoon eyes, no irritation - and I think it's a nice natural but still enough-there look. I tried the Gabriel version (Zuzu Luxe is a Gabriel brand) and they looked identical in the ingredient list and the Gabriel was cheaper - but somehow it just wasn't the same and I'm back to Zuzu Luxe. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
This recommendation doesn't fall into the "natural mascara" category, but it does provide a "natural look"....I wasn't really clear on which the OP is really looking for.

Neutrogena Healthy Volume Mascara provided a totally natural, shiny black look for me (very thin with no clumps)...unfortunately, I was looking for something that was more dramatic, so I chunked it. But it might fit the bill for someone seeking a less dramatic option.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
If you want something more natural, try Dr.Hauschka's mascara. Other companies you might like to try are Afterglow Cosmetics or Miessence.

Afterglow cosmetics is an American company. Miessence is Australian.

The great thing about these mascaras are they don't have any harmful ingredients. Plus, they are definitely not clumpy. Instead they are smooth and light.

Right now I'm using Miessence. My eyes don't burn when I use it. Plus, I just love the natural look it gives me.
elmoparis
5% products discount

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I am living in France, so from the suggestions I will probably buy what I can find most readily available here.

I wasn't very clear in my first post - I really want a natural looking mascara, not necessarily natural ingreadients. But of course if it has natural ingredients, all the better!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |