Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi Blue Peel advice - NuDerm and ZO products?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
petalutha
5% products discount

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I am wondering if any of you ladies have advice for me? I have just begun Dr. Obagi's NuDerm 6 week cycle, and will have a Blue Peel at the end of this process. In the spirit of sharing and experimentation Smile , here is my daily regimen:
AM
Exfoliating Cleanser - ZO
Polishing Scrub - ZO
TE Pads - ZO
Clear - NuDerm
Oclipse - ZO
Daily Power Defense - ZO
PM
Exfoliating Cleanser - ZO
TE Pads - ZO
Clear - NuDerm
Complex A + Blender - NuDerm
Ossential Growth Factor Serum - ZO

I met with Dr. Obagi on Saturday afternoon, picked-up my products and jumped right into it that night. It is now Monday morning and I look a bit pink; I'm feeling positive as I can already see that this is going to be a real skin-changing experience. I have fair skin with some faint spots, rosacea, good tone and elasticity with no loss of volume - that's Dr. Obagi's assessment. I will be having an IPL treatment in a couple of weeks to address the small broken capillaries - and possibly again after my Blue Peel, if needed. Thus far, I have been happy with the ZO Daily Power Defense in the morning (I fell asleep before applying the Growth Serum). It took the edge off the "heat" this morning.
I've had some small peels (and Starlux) - but never needed anesthesia for a procedure. Has anyone else out there had a Blue Peel? What kind of things am I in store for in the next 6 weeks? Considering that Dr. Obagi says, "More cream, more repair", how aggressive did you get with the cream application? What are your tips and tricks?
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Boy did you jump in which is great.

Makes me want to take a drive up to BH and see him. I live very close to Dr. Murad's practice and have resisted going to see him other than using the Murad Medical Spa. I can't help you on this but will watching this thread closely.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Iam very confused these are not the NuDerm products other than the Clear/Blender. The rest are from his new XO line. Just wondering why this was stated as being NuDerm when it is not. Please see the Obagi website also I was on this system for 18 weeks

5% products discount

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it is not only about NuDerm system - but that's why I also put ZO in the title. I would like to see if anyone has experience with the combination of products when they are getting ready for the Blue Peel.
I have read the other posts - but I did not see any info on how aggressive people had been with the application of the NuDerm creams...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
petalutha, for the nu derm products the amount is extremely important. 1 gram of Clear twice a day, and 1/2 gram of blender mixed with 1 gram of Retin A nightly. I am sure you were told how to measure the products, right?

Most of us who have used Obagi have done the complete Nu Derm system. You are not doing the Nu Derm system, but, as Red Head stated, a combination of the 2 lines. All I can say is that this routine is definitely not as aggressive as the Nu Derm system.

What are your skin issues that you are wanting to correct with the combo of lines and the blue peel? I am assuming that your skin is not in bad shape, or you would not be using a combo of the lines, you would be on the Nu Derm for the entire course (18 weeks instead of 6). I am also assuming this is just "prepping" your skin for the blue peel, correct?
petalutha
5% products discount

Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Dear Rileygirl,
Yes, I was told how much to use during my appointment with Dr. Obagi. But he also told me that the more I was able to tolerate, the better my results would be.
The program of both NuDerm and ZO was prescribed by him for my skin in particular. I don't have "bad" skin - the main issue that I want to correct is sun damage. Really, I look at this process as preventative. My mother had a CO2 laser procedure - I remember her discomfort and extreme redness, and would very much like to avoid that later in life. The blue peel will be my cherry on the sundae! When I requested the Blue Peel, Dr. Obagi said to me, "So you want to look like you're 17?". I'm 37... Very Happy
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
That makes sense, petalutha! Good luck and keep us posted on your blue peel results!
FYIguy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Petalutha, my guess is your rosacea led to not using the full NuDerm system?

Because you're prepping for a peel for only 6 weeks, the goal is likely to get your skin healthy and prepared for the procedure. The inclusion of IPL treatments during your prep seems to lead to this conclusion.
petalutha
5% products discount

Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hey FYIGuy,
You are correct - my rosacea is a large part of what kept me from getting too aggressive in prepping for the Blue Peel. I am quite lucky to have very good skin at this point. I already had purchased the ZO products and was liking the results so much that it prompted me to go and see Dr. Obagi, since I had heard so much about the Blue Peel. My thought was to have a quick result - as much as possible considering the rosacea issue. I do not know a great deal about his NuDerm products, which I know he usually recommends; I have no experience with them, but have heard many good things. Maybe I will be able to use them gently sometime after my Peel?
And thanks, Rileygirl - I'll keep you posted on my process...
petalutha
5% products discount

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Wow - the flaking started yesterday, and today it has moved on to peeling. I look something like a sunburned molting reptile. Laughing
I am flying to Europe this week-end and I am not looking forward to 18 hours of very dry air. I am going to take two bottles of the ZO Daily Power Defense with me, since it seems to be the product that calms my skin during the day. Other than that and drinking a ton of water - anyone have creative ideas on how to survive the flights?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you can use a mineral water and spritz your face during your flight? How is your skin doing with the combo routine?
petalutha
5% products discount

Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I am back from my trip. I went off of my NuDerm skin program for a week; I looked just too awful and didn't want to be peeling while I was with friends - it was unappetizing to look at me. Laughing But I'm back on it now (plus the ZO products which I kept using), and somehow it now doesn't seem as bad. My skin is just as Dr. Obagi said it would be - red, dry, peeling. I do notice that some of my smaller freckles are fading, and that's wonderful!
About my flight to Europe: My skin was literally coming off in small sheets and it hurt to make any sort of facial expression. I drank a ton of water, and the ZO Daily Power Defense was my savior. I applied it constantly, and it really helped. After about 24 hours I looked much better. I still scrubbed once a day with the Exfoliating Polish - then put on more Daily Power Defense, and more, and more...
My next step: IPL for the rosacea. This should be interesting when my face is completely red...
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
petalutha wrote:
About my flight to Europe: My skin was literally coming off in small sheets and it hurt to make any sort of facial expression. I drank a ton of water, and the ZO Daily Power Defense was my savior. I applied it constantly, and it really helped. After about 24 hours I looked much better. I still scrubbed once a day with the Exfoliating Polish - then put on more Daily Power Defense, and more, and more...

Ugh...I do not envy you! But if you are going to look 17 again, then it should be worth it! Very Happy

BTW, I love the ZO Exfoliating Polish...it is the only product I have found that gets rid of my post dermarolling/Retin A dead skin layer, yet doesn't leave me raw.

While the microfiber cloths are far cheaper, I really feel that you need a clean one every day, or you are putting bacteria on your face. Plus I always, without fail, take off too much skin on the underside of my jawline with my microfiber cloths. Embarassed I'm pretty much ready to through in the towel on those (pun intended).

And when I used my DermaNew, I took off too much skin on my cheekbone....I now have a PIH scar that is still there 6 months later. Sad

5% products discount

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Bethany,
How did you manage to take off too much skin on your cheekbone?
I also love the ZO Polish; it is just the right amount of exfoliation - not rough at all. The feeling I have after using it is something like the Vibraderm facial.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
petalutha wrote:
Bethany,
How did you manage to take off too much skin on your cheekbone?

I think I left the DermaNew on that area too long, or I went back over the area too many times. I ended up with a raw spot that scabbed over and then it left a pigmented spt about the size of a nickle. Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
petalutha wrote:
I am back from my trip. I went off of my NuDerm skin program for a week; I looked just too awful and didn't want to be peeling while I was with friends - it was unappetizing to look at me. Laughing But I'm back on it now (plus the ZO products which I kept using), and somehow it now doesn't seem as bad. My skin is just as Dr. Obagi said it would be - red, dry, peeling. I do notice that some of my smaller freckles are fading, and that's wonderful!
My next step: IPL for the rosacea. This should be interesting when my face is completely red...

Hi petalutha,

I was just wondering if you find the Daily Power Defense to be moisturizing, you seem to have used it as you would a moisturizer, for hydration purposes. Do you find it provides enough hydration so you don't need a moisturizer over it? Thanks
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
jom wrote:
Hi petalutha,

I was just wondering if you find the Daily Power Defense to be moisturizing, you seem to have used it as you would a moisturizer, for hydration purposes. Do you find it provides enough hydration so you don't need a moisturizer over it? Thanks

Jom,

Just an FYI...I know ZO said they don't produce moisturizers, but I definitely think their Daily and Overnight versions act in that manner...no matter what they want to call them.

My skin has gotten very dry since I started using 302 and oils. When I used the ZO Daily Renewal Creme, my inital thought was that I still felt too dry. But when I added the Overnight Recovery Creme, I was like WOW...this was the missing piece for me. And then it seemed like the Daily Cream was just fine because my skin seemed to be more hydrated to begin with.

But I can't speak to the Daily Power Defense...I don't have that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
My 2 cents here. I think that the Daily Power Defense feels "moisturizing", but I don't think it should be used many times a day, nor do I think that was its intention. Per the ZO Skin Health site on the Daily Power Defense:

"Concerns:
Pre-mature aging, lines, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, texture and firmness

Solution:

* Speeds recovery from past UV damage
* Increases epidermal thickness and elasticity
* Encourages the skin's DNA repair mechanism to self-correct
* Locks in moisture
* Reduces the signs of collagen degradation

Features & Benefits:

* Retinol: a pure derivative of Vitamin A and the most vital component of any anti-aging skincare program. It is clinically proven to be the most effective anti-aging ingredient to decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, even skin tone and increase epidermal thickness.
* Ultrasomes & Roxisomes: repair oxidative damage to DNA and help dramatically reduce future photodamage.

How To Use:
Dr. Obagi recommends applying in the AM. Apply a small amount to face, after cleansing."

Maybe ZOskinhealth or FYIguy can comment on this?
petalutha
5% products discount

Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Jom,
I was using it as one might a classic "moisturizer" I suppose. Certainly I was using it much more than ZO recommends, but I felt that considering my situation at that moment it was warranted. I'll also say this - in the past I have avoided products specifically labeled as such. (I've tried some here and there if a friend has offered up their moisturizer for a "test-drive", but they didn't feel right on my skin.) Before I fell in love with ZO and Obagi products, I was using a serum that my dermatologist was producing. It was Hydrating B Serum from Asarch DermaSpa: a thin gel that was calming for my sensitive skin. I like the Daily Power Defense better; it does a great job, has more staying power and doesn't feel sticky or heavy. I have not been using anything over it and haven't needed to. Before beginning my NuDerm routine I was using the Daily Power Defense in the morning and then the Oclipse (if I had to be outside) - that seemed to work wonderfully for me.
Bethany mentioned the Overnight Moisture Recovery Creme; have you tried that?
Bethany,
Thanks for the information about your spot. I'll keep that in mind when I'm applying these NuDerm products. Your scar should fade, from what little bit I know.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="petalutha"]Jom,
I was using it as one might a classic "moisturizer" I suppose. Certainly I was using it much more than ZO recommends, but I felt that considering my situation at that moment it was warranted. I'll also say this - in the past I have avoided products specifically labeled as such. (I've tried some here and there if a friend has offered up their moisturizer for a "test-drive", but they didn't feel right on my skin.) Before I fell in love with ZO and Obagi products, I was using a serum that my dermatologist was producing. It was Hydrating B Serum from Asarch DermaSpa: a thin gel that was calming for my sensitive skin. I like the Daily Power Defense better; it does a great job, has more staying power and doesn't feel sticky or heavy. I have not been using anything over it and haven't needed to. Before beginning my NuDerm routine I was using the Daily Power Defense in the morning and then the Oclipse (if I had to be outside) - that seemed to work wonderfully for me.
Bethany mentioned the Overnight Moisture Recovery Creme; have you tried that?
quote]

Thanks for the feedback petalutha. I haven't purchased any of the products yet because Dr. Obagi is going to be at my local Nordstrom soon and I was trying to decide if I wanted to make an apppointment with him (I'm a little shy) and buy my products at that time. So, I finally went ahead and made an appointment. Due to the great customer service at Nordstrom I have received samples of the hydrating cleanser, exfoliating polish, eye cream and sunscreen and I love them all and plan on purchasing them. I already like my nighttime routine so I'm not looking to try any of the nighttime products, I was just looking for something hydrating and line plumping during the day and was looking for feedback (which I happily got from all the great folks on this forum) about the Daily Power Defense and Daily Renewal Cream. Then I decided to go ahead and make an appointment with Dr. Obagi and see which one he thinks would be best. So I'm looking forward to that and really enjoying reading all the posts about the line on this forum. Smile Did you meet with him in his office or did you go to one of the Nordstrom events?
zoskinhealth
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Jom:

Thanks for your question. I'll try not to write a book, because I would much rather you get Dr. Obagi's professional opinion.

If you wish, pm me your name (and when/where your appt is), and I'll make sure that Dr. Obagi spends some extra time with you. (not to worry if you're shy; he's not one bit shy--there's never a dull moment with him!)

ZO Daily Power Defense does moisturize (like Rileygirl and Petalutha said), but that's not it's primary function. It's a stimulator, which you have not included in the products that you mention. You may not need it--especially if you're young!

ZO's Ommerse cremes deeply nourish and calm the skin after the surface has been exfoliated and stimulators have been applied. If you experience some irritation, it's important to quickly quiet that irritation (it's a major cause of skin aging). As part of Dr. Obagi’s Skin Health philosophy, these products work by rehydrating and repairing the skin barrier.  So are they moisturizing? Yes (as Bethany had said). Is that their primary purpose? No.

Hope that helps--I'm sure he'll be able to give you a better and more informed opinion.

Thanks.

Donna Queen

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
zoskinhealth wrote:
ZO Daily Power Defense does moisturize (like Rileygirl and Petalutha said), but that's not it's primary function. It's a stimulator, which you have not included in the products that you mention.

Donna, could there be any negative effects to using the Daily Power Defense more often than recommended? I guess I am asking if there can be too much stimulation.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:54 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
zoskinhealth wrote:
ZO Daily Power Defense does moisturize (like Rileygirl and Petalutha said), but that's not it's primary function. It's a stimulator, which you have not included in the products that you mention.

Donna, could there be any negative effects to using the Daily Power Defense more often than recommended? I guess I am asking if there can be too much stimulation.

I am hoping ZOskinhealth will weigh in on this, or FYIguy. They need to look at Petalutha's post above where she says she applied this "constantly". I, myself, think that is overkill!
zoskinhealth
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:14 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
bethany wrote:
zoskinhealth wrote:

I am hoping ZOskinhealth will weigh in on this, or FYIguy. They need to look at Petalutha's post above where she says she applied this "constantly". I, myself, think that is overkill!

I'm hoping that Petalutha is exaggerating when she says that she applies Daily Power Defense "constantly". Petalutha, now that you've overcome the shock of the initial Obagi treatment, it would be better if you cut back on the Daily Power Defense. I've never heard of an adverse reaction from over-use of the product, but that's not what it was intended for. (plus it's too expensive to overuse!) Try Ommerse Daily Renewal Creme (or another product) to calm the irritation. Hope you're feeling better now!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply, zoskinhealth. I also think Petalutha that if you are prepping your skin for a peel, you want to be flaky/peeling and not stop that process by "moisturizing" your skin. You won't get as good of results with your peel.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |