Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Calcium supplements, knowledge is power.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Alright so since Alternative Medicine is my major, I feel compelled to share my knowledge with others. Especially when something so important comes along that I cannot help but pass it along. Ladies, this concerns all of you who are concerned about osteoporosis.

First off, let me just say the amount of information I’ve found here has been amazing! And thanks to all the great posts I finally feel like I can turn back some of the ravages of time on my looks and so, I want to return the favor in my way..

Did you know that soft drink consumption can lead to lower calcium levels? Phosphate levels in our favorite colas are quite high, and when the phosphate contents are high, and calcium levels low, phosphate causes calcium to be literally pulled out of the bones. So now this begs the question what calcium supplements do you take? And which are safest.

Forms of calcium to avoid: any derived from oyster shell or bone meal. Studies have shown these forms of calcium can contain high amounts of lead. UNLESS the manufacturer can somehow provide assurance that the levels are safe, (such as provide proof that an analysis has been done on the supplement), these forms of calcium are best to be passed up..

The best and safest calcium supplements are: calcium bound to citrates, such as fumarate, malate, succinate, and aspartate.

We ladies need to make sure we are taking care of our bodies and so I hope someone finds this useful. =o)
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Good to know! I will check out my calcium supplements. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Useful information! How about calcium carbonate?
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
mlrox,
Calcium carbonate comes from oyster shells, so it's best to stay away from it..
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
I agree Calcium Citrate is the best.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Cleocatra, thanks again. If you pick up any more useful information from your studies, we would be grateful if you could share with us. Much appreciated! Very Happy
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much Cleocatra for your useful information. Very Happy

I just to be very interested in learning the supplement knowledge. Would you have any good books and website to share?

Thanks!!!
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
For sure! Soft drinks leach the calcium out and can lead to cramps because of the low levels. I take calcium to prevent cramps. Now can you give some ideas what brands are good?
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
evenet wrote:

I just to be very interested in learning the supplement knowledge. Would you have any good books and website to share?

Thanks!!!

Evenet,

Websites, there is one web site that is really quite good for general health info, though there is some promoting of his own products, he does however have some very valuable information. http://www.udoerasmus.com/index_main.htm

Books, most of the books I would recommend are quite expensive, more along the types of clinical books.. But one book I would recommend totally, and it's not expensive it "Detoxification & Healing" by Stanley Baker MD. Read that book and you'll be amazed!! Truly! Especially where folic acid and cancer are concerned.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Cleocatra, how much folic acid would you recommend for a non-pregnant woman? Is there any difference with the age? Thanks.
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
Cleocatra wrote:
evenet wrote:

Thanks!!!

Evenet,

Websites, there is one web site that is really quite good for general health info, though there is some promoting of his own products, he does however have some very valuable information. http://www.udoerasmus.com/index_main.htm

Books, most of the books I would recommend are quite expensive, more along the types of clinical books.. But one book I would recommend totally, and it's not expensive it "Detoxification & Healing" by Stanley Baker MD. Read that book and you'll be amazed!! Truly! Especially where folic acid and cancer are concerned.

Billion thanks Cleocatra!
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I always refer to this site for info on vitamins.

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2461007.html#V

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's true
rosielynt
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's true
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Cleocatra, how much folic acid would you recommend for a non-pregnant woman? Is there any difference with the age? Thanks.

m1rox,

At least 400mcg a day for a non-pregnant woman. I vary my dosage; one day I take 800mcg a day, the next I double it. Some people need higher doses, some less. I would recommend starting out at 400mcg a day, and building up to 800mcg day, because you MIGHT experience a little bit of stomach upset if you plunge into a larger dose right off. One thing I did want to mention however is to make sure you're getting an adequate amount of B-12 as well, in rare instance folic acid supplementation can create a slight drop in B-12 levels.
I strongly believe in folic acid supplementation. I also believe in the future we'll be hearing more about folic acid in relation to cancer prevention.. For instance, it's been proven to help women with persistent abnormal pap smears to return them to normal again with daily doses in the 10-20mg range. Definitely food for thought...
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
evenet wrote:
Cleocatra wrote:
evenet wrote:

Thanks!!!

Evenet,

Billion thanks Cleocatra!

You're very welcome evenet, I'm glad to help!
Determined
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
Cleocatra, thanks for your expertise! Another great site to learn about supplements including herbs is Sloan-Kettering. Click the following link:
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
also some brands recommend calcium be taken with magnesium in a 1:3 ratio, and other brands recommend additional acidic supplementation (such as ACV) to enhance absorption.
evenet
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:35 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Yen, very useful !!!!!
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Cleocatra wrote:

I also believe in the future we'll be hearing more about folic acid in relation to cancer prevention.. For instance, it's been proven to help women with persistent abnormal pap smears to return them to normal again with daily doses in the 10-20mg range. Definitely food for thought...

For folic acid, 10 - 20mg is very high. Apart from stomach upset, are there any potential side effects from such high dosage? Might the stomach upset involve ulcers in the stomach or intestines from high dosage?
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
my doctor actually prescribed me 90 calcium carbonate supplements and a very high dose to i think about 1000 mg............a doctor wouldnt prescribe it if they were bad? Shock

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:52 am      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for sharing this important information with us!

I was actually talking to my mom about calcium supplements the other day and didn't quite know where to look to find the best absorbed form, so this has been really helpful. Thank you again! Smile
Cleocatra
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:27 am      Reply with quote
beti wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing this important information with us!

I was actually talking to my mom about calcium supplements the other day and didn't quite know where to look to find the best absorbed form, so this has been really helpful. Thank you again! Smile

Beti, you're welcome!! And just so everyone knows, proper calcium dosage is 800mg-1200mg a day. And if you can get the calcium supplement with boron included, all the better!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |