Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Devita's on sale this month at Internatural!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I was going to order some Devita sunscreen anyway because I was running out, and I saw that it was on sale! Both the facial sunscreen and the body sunscreen are 30% off, so they're both under 20$, and you get free shipping if you order 50$ or more. I got 3 of the body sunscreens- 18 oz of awesome product for 60$! So I stocked up Very Happy. And if you don't get 50$ of product shipping isn't that bad there.

I don't go for the "a little goes a long way" philosophy and I use it generously. I did the math, and I go through about 4 oz of it a month. Since it's inexpensive I don't worry about it. I also think it's a good moisturizer, not just sunscreen. It has a lot of good ingredients, like green tea, and nothing bad. I don't break out from it at all.

Anyway I just wanted to share the sale. Here's the link:

http://www.internatural.com/ingr/ingr169034.cfm

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nimue!! This site has a whole lot of interesting stuff! Incense, crystals, natural products for cleaning and health products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
btw, how does this compare to the Key Soap ss? I heard it stings your eyes if u applied it too close? It says micronized ZnO so is it still nanosize?
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue: do you happen to know what is the particle size of the zinc oxide in the Devita sunscreen? Also, do microionized particles give less protection compared to a similar percentage of coated non-microionized zinc oxide?
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:15 am      Reply with quote
I noticed that there is copper in this sunblock, Copper Gluconate specifically. Would that interfere with the use of vitamin c?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I haven't tried the Keys ss. The Keys ss has a higher % of zinc oxide, so it would be better for summer when you're in the sun a lot.

It can make my eyes tear up, it doesn't sting exactly. I think it's because it's so thin and light- it's easy for it run into the eyes. My solution to that is to mix it with something thicker so that it's not as thin. I mix it with Badger sunscreen spf 30 and Dermalogica sensitive spf 25 (both are physical, and the dermalogica is tinted). My eye sunscreen is moisturizing and tinted so it's an all in one product. But I use those products only because I have them. When I use them up, I'm not sure if I'll repurchase them or go with something else.

Devita says that both the average and medium size is greater than 100 nm, which is accepted as the border between nano and micro. So some of the particles are nano sized, some are micro.
Keys ss is nano sized. But both are devita and keys have "micronized" zinc oxide because that's what the process of making something small is called.

Stardustdy wrote:
btw, how does this compare to the Key Soap ss? I heard it stings your eyes if u applied it too close? It says micronized ZnO so is it still nanosize?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Nimue: do you happen to know what is the particle size of the zinc oxide in the Devita sunscreen? Also, do microionized particles give less protection compared to a similar percentage of coated non-microionized zinc oxide?

First question- see my answer to Stardusty.

Second question: I'll say this: In my opinion, micronized zinc oxide gives excellent protection against the sun. Less protection than non micronized zinc oxide? It could be, depending on the source. But how much less? My advice is that micronized zinc oxide is worth it, because when you use bigger particles the susncreen is more likely to give you a white cast and also flake off, which is bad. In my opinion, micronized zinc oxide is safe and the best choice, but I know people will disagree and of course you're entitled to make your own judgment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
I noticed that there is copper in this sunblock, Copper Gluconate specifically. Would that interfere with the use of vitamin c?

I never noticed this! My first guess is that it's in small enough amount not to matter. Most likely, the vitamin C is also in a small amount. My guess is that the copper gluconate acts as a preservative. After a quick search, I got this:

"Copper gluconate also prevents the rancidity of poly unsatured fatty acids"

http://ezinearticles.com/?Our-Guide-To-Copper-Gluconate&id=82434

On this page, the RoC products have both the the copper gluconate and vit C in the ingredients list:

http://www.naturalyours.com/Roc/roc_retinol_skin_care.htm

As of now, I'm not sure if it's significant, but this is something to look into. Thanks for pointing it out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy, I don't think micronized is the same as nanosized. Micronized is what they use in the clear titanium and zinc oxides. Maybe someone else knows the specifics but nanosized particles, I had read were lab manipulated and are far smaller. Also that it is a non regulated part of skin care, kind of like when natural products first came out decades ago?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've used both Keys Solar Rx and Devita and use both for different climate conditions:
Devita is more moisturizing and thin. Keys is has a "drier" feel but is a thicker cream. So for sports I use Keys. Under makeup, Devita.
Keys doesn't sting my eyes when I sweat, but sometimes Devita does sting a bit.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
I've used both Keys Solar Rx and Devita and use both for different climate conditions:
Devita is more moisturizing and thin. Keys is has a "drier" feel but is a thicker cream. So for sports I use Keys. Under makeup, Devita.

So fawnie, how does both protect u from the sun? R u those that burn easily? Thanks! Smile
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I can testify that Devita does protect me from the sun. The other day I was wearing a dress with spaghetti straps. I was wearing the Devita on my face, neck, shoulders and chest but not my back. The direction I was walking was into the sun, so my front was the most exposed. My back felt warm later that day- it wasn't enough to burn but it was definitely warm but the rest of me was fine.

Stardustdy wrote:
fawnie wrote:

So fawnie, how does both protect u from the sun? R u those that burn easily? Thanks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nimue! I might give it a try, will see. But just wondering how come the Devita stated the SPF is around 30 when it has only 14%ZnO whereas the Epicuren has 17% but claims it's only SPF 20? Confused
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=28968&highlight=devita++epicuren
There you go Star - a thread regarding this discussion!

My experience with both Keys and Devita is that they are equally good at protecting from tanning/burning. I am still as white as ever, altho I usually tan easily. The Keys SS feels a little "heavier" on my face than Devita.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |