Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Just vile- treatment of women.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26223335/

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 am      Reply with quote
It really is heartbreaking how women are treated in so many countries under Islamic rule, or an Islamic majority. And all of these barbarities upon women, while not exactly sanctioned within the Quran, are allowed to persist because of the fact that the script indicates women are inferior to men.

I'm no moral relativist. Some things are just wrong, no matter where or what culture. And this is wrong. I hope someday women in these countries will be treated with equal rights and compassion, but I don't see it happening soon. Religious extremism is getting worse, not better.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
Yeah- it's just so sickening, it's at the point where I don't want to know what is going on in those places. I'm also not a moral relativist. But the acid in the face- that's sick on so many levels. It's incredible that this kind of violence comes from family- husbands in general it looks like. I'm also reading it as saying that all a woman has of value is her appearance so the disfigurement is supposed to destroy her.

Basically I agree- anytime a person has power over another, there is potential for abuse. Someone can argue that (I'm not arguing this) "good men" would never do this, so most of the time it's not so bad for a man to have power over his wife. But the potential for abuse is there. Then again there are those who'll argue that it's ok for a man to hit his wife, as long as it's not too hard and as long as she really deserves it. There are those who argue it's their culture. Again, I really am not a moral relativist. As long as there is the slightest potential for abuse there will be abuse.

athena123 wrote:
It really is heartbreaking how women are treated in so many countries under Islamic rule, or an Islamic majority. And all of these barbarities upon women, while not exactly sanctioned within the Quran, are allowed to persist because of the fact that the script indicates women are inferior to men.

I'm no moral relativist. Some things are just wrong, no matter where or what culture. And this is wrong. I hope someday women in these countries will be treated with equal rights and compassion, but I don't see it happening soon. Religious extremism is getting worse, not better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue, it seems easier to close our eyes against horrors that occur so far away, but when you realize that some of these same barbaric practices are reaching our American shores, we need to open them.

Honor killings have occurred in the United states because in these societies, a woman's honor is more important than anything else. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391531,00.html

Hence, any perception that a woman is betraying the honor of family gives justification for death and abuse. I'm more than happy to open our arms to Muslims and people of all faiths. But religious practice should not ever override secular law. Never. Not once, because this is the door that could be opened.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I would not say that my eyes are closed. I meant that I don't like to think about horrors all the time, which probably goes for most people. I posted this particular story on this forum because it provided this horrific contrast. This forum- all about beauty. Somehow, those women profiled in the article most wanted to work in the beauty industry. What else struck me- one of the women mentioned that the day before she had acid thrown in her face, she was freaking out a about a pimple.

I'm with you- I'm all for secularism. Restrictions on a woman's right to abortion are terrifying to me, and that's also an example of religion influencing secular law, and in the end, it's the women's rights that are curtailed.

athena123 wrote:
Nimue, it seems easier to close our eyes against horrors that occur so far away, but when you realize that some of these same barbaric practices are reaching our American shores, we need to open them.

Honor killings have occurred in the United states because in these societies, a woman's honor is more important than anything else. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,391531,00.html

Hence, any perception that a woman is betraying the honor of family gives justification for death and abuse. I'm more than happy to open our arms to Muslims and people of all faiths. But religious practice should not ever override secular law. Never. Not once, because this is the door that could be opened.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:15 am      Reply with quote
It's sad how such countries are living in barbaric times...they haven't progressed like we or the US have...
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |