Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Turmeric an experiment!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Lately I have been reading about how turmeric skin benefits specifically Tetrahydrocurcuminoids and how it boosts collagen, is an anti-oxidant, whitens the skin and protects against UVB rays. I am also a big fan of retin-a so what I have been doing is mixing a bit of turmeric powder with my retin a nightly I used the scoop of philosophy's vitamin c powder , anyway not too much just enough to turn it a pale yellow color , I have been doing this for the last week only , and I have to say
THE RESULTS ARE GREAT .. , My face is a shade lighter, some acne scars HAVE COMPLETLY GONE , and my face is bright and clear and plump.. give it a try , mix it into you night cream and The results might surprise you , so far using it this way hasn't stained my face or anything else for that matter , Right now I am FAN of TURMERIC ! Very Happy
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
where did u get the turmeric from? health shop? or normal supermarket stuff?

have some turmeric at home in the kitchen lol but i wudnt want to use that one..........i mean while cooking....its easy to use the hand without washing that u had used to put in chilipowder.

now maybe im bit paranoid but i wudnt want to use turmeic that has remains of chilipowder or anythin g else in there Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I bought it form the supermarket , but yes I would not use it if it's mixed with chili powder !
simran
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
lol i am not saying its mixed with chilipowder........but im not ruling out the possibility of bits of powder falling in and mixing while cooking..of course the bottles have a spoon in it to take out the various different powders but still Neutral

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Smile Sounds safe enough !!
I just have the tumeric with bromelain capsules from the Health Food store.It says joint and muscle support. I think we need a boost in our routines.
Thanks Nibn Smile
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've been taking turmeric orally for over a yr. now for my joint issues... It has been helpful, but does anyone think that taken orally it can help w/the skin? Hmmm, maybe I'm just not noticing the effects on the skin. I remember in one post, there was discussion on turmeric and it being a bit messy on the face....I wonder if it would be a good addition to a yogurt mask??? Any suggestions?
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:35 am      Reply with quote
nibn, what's the portion you're mixing it in with your moisturizer? Does it help with acne too? Would like to know if it'll irritate the skin as I'm quite sensitive. I tried doing it once as a mask and it stained my face a yellow color that's hard to wash off!
caboodle
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 am      Reply with quote
No idea about topical application; we've got all kinds of plant-derived ingredients in skin care these days that have been shown to have various benefits.

Taken orally it's been scientifically shown to help cells - it "triggers an enzyme known as hemeoxygenase-1 or HO-1, which protects cells from free radical damage that causes inflammation and tissue damage..." and is being studied to see if it can help with a large number of things, including helping fight Alzheimer's Disease. (My mom had AD, so I've long been paying attention to research, advances and options in prevention and treatment. India has one of the lowest rates of AD in the world, and turmeric was spotted years ago as being one *possible* reason why.)

Until reading this article about cumin published by the Brain Institute at UCLA, I did not realize that

1) Johnson & Johnson makes bandaids with turmeric on them, for the market in India and

2) "The National Institutes of Health has funded at least eight studies investigating turmeric..."

Smile

I'd be cautious with it on my face because hooo boy it's one of the spices that does stain...but maybe a small amount mixed in with other things could work...
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
nibn, what's the portion you're mixing it in with your moisturizer? Does it help with acne too? Would like to know if it'll irritate the skin as I'm quite sensitive. I tried doing it once as a mask and it stained my face a yellow color that's hard to wash off!

first of all if it stained your face then it has something else in it i.e. Saffron
2nd I am been putting just the tiniest smudge (half of philosophy scoop )and it does turn give your face a subtle yellowish glow , a nice one for that matter , but it washes off completely next day , and for what is't doing , well , it's really giving me that porless look acne marks are fading very fast , overall clarity and brightness have improved and my face is really a shade lighter and VERRY GLOWY, I must add that I have resistant skin and can use retin-a like a night cream without the hint of a flake next day so may be sensitives should approach this with caution
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:

nibn wrote:
first of all if it stained your face then it has something else in it i.e. Saffron

Yikes, I'm not sure that this is true -- turmeric is naturally a deep yellow that can definitely stain on its own. (And saffron has a distinctly different hue, flavor and odor, ya know?) I too am concerned about the potential for staining, just from having cooked with turmeric -- I can never get it out of my fingernails!

I'd love to give this a try, but I wouldn't want to try it before a big event or anything! Laughing

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:57 am      Reply with quote
DONT DO THIS ..YOU WILL BE BRIGHT YELLOW Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation !
I am posting this before I have read the replies after mine from yesterday.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
I am now trying to remove the yellow,and I mean yellow from my hands and nails. Pillowcase & sheets.
My face was easier,although, once again, I am so mad at myself for being so naive. I was so tired and guess my trust button goes on when I come to EDS and another forum.
So,embarrased as I am, hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake.

Sad
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Here's what I would try: soak the stained areas in rubbing alcohol, then rinse thoroughly in cool water.

Or, try diluted ammonia. Again, soak several hours and rinse thoroughly.

Third idea: soak in hydrogen peroxide. Rinse well.

If you have any oxygenated laundry detergent, try soaking in some of that. (Oxyclean is one brand.)

If the item in question is pure cotton, you can use a very dilute solution of chlorine bleach. But watch out--too much and you'll weaken the fabric badly.

Good luck with getting the stain out! (Off topic--I just discovered a great way to get grass stains out--Windex!!)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:
I am now trying to remove the yellow,and I mean yellow from my hands and nails. Pillowcase & sheets.
My face was easier,although, once again, I am so mad at myself for being so naive. I was so tired and guess my trust button goes on when I come to EDS and another forum.
So,embarrased as I am, hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake.

Sad

Oh no!! I think MACrisis tried tumeric on her face and had the same result. Sad

Editing to add:

Apparently this is a definite no-no for light skinned individuals. I just found a use comment on a blog with a recipe for a tumeric skin mask (see below).

I also found a recommendation that lemon juice will help with stains on skin/nails...you need to leave it on for about 10 mins.

Quote:

I think,you also should point out to Anglo- Saxon sisters..the consideration that Turmeric STAINS! Bright sunflower yellow,ladies..It is widely used as a natural food colouring and dye, and boy,does it..It can stain facecloths,white towels,your bathrobe,the sink and the bathroom door if you're not careful,wipe it off IMMEDIATELY if it you get it anywhere you don't want it,and wear an old robe or t-shirt if you're planning on using turmeric, treat it like henna, and with caution...

My words of warning: If you have WHITE skin,DO NOT apply Turmeric preparations to your face or hands if you have a hot date, a job interview or are planning on going out in public for days,unless you don't mind looking like you're in advanced stages of liver failure..! Your skin can stain yellow.. Test it on the back of your hand if you don't believe me,or are worried at all,and I suggest a simple alternative of almond flour and water..Turmeric has many wonderful properties,but turmeric powder really can stain yellow and it can be hard to shift !

http://wwwnaturalskincarecom.blogspot.com/2008/01/turmeric-face-pack.html

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
gellys wrote:
Hi all,

I've been taking turmeric orally for over a yr. now for my joint issues... It has been helpful, but does anyone think that taken orally it can help w/the skin? Hmmm, maybe I'm just not noticing the effects on the skin. I remember in one post, there was discussion on turmeric and it being a bit messy on the face....I wonder if it would be a good addition to a yogurt mask??? Any suggestions?

Here's an interesting online patent that states, as a food supplement, tumeric is useful for the treatment of skin disorders and skin discoloration among other things. An example that was cited:

A 15-year old female was treated for facial and body acne. The turmeric was prepared in the form of a soft gel by combining 500 mg of powdered turmeric (obtained from a commercial grocery) and sugar syrup. Two grams of turmeric was administered to the patients daily for three days: one gram was ingested at breakfast and one gram at dinner. On the fourth day, the facial and body acne was noticeably diminished. By the seventh day, the skin was clear.

Emphasis was put on diet with specific suggestions as well as other info on using it topically etc. although caution is a definite must on latter, as mentioned above.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5897865.html
nibn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
FOR ANYONE WHO STAINED THEIR FACE Sorry for the inconvenience ,BUT TRULY it did not stain me one bit ,Again SORRY
havana8

Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe try this for topical use?

Non-staining Tetrahydrocurcumin
This white powder is a novel extract of curcumin, retaining the extremely powerful antioxidant profile of curcumin without the characteristic yellow staining pigment. It is a pure concentrated extract--it is much more alcohol soluble than water soluble. It is sold in 10 gram bags of pure extract--no fillers, or binders, and a low packaging cost. This is the equivalent of 200 capsules of 50 mg each. This is one of the most potent active chemicals found in turmeric, but is not yellow and staining as turmeric is.
http://www.ancientway.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4357
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
I have been pouring hydrogen peroxide and scrubing my hands and have cut off my fingernails. It is working,but slowly.

Nibn, I dont hold any hard feelings towards you.

It was my own fault for not doing a "test patch"
Shock I really do wish you could have seen me when I woke up to bright,bright yellow face,hands,nails!!!!! Shock And then it didnt come off the first time cleansing,or the second Shock OMG. I got on here as fast as I could to warn anyone else.
Its the afternoon now and things are improved.
I appreciate all the tips for getting the stain off.
Thanks so much.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:

Shock I really do wish you could have seen me when I woke up to bright,bright yellow face,hands,nails!!!!! Shock And then it didnt come off the first time cleansing,or the second Shock OMG. I got on here as fast as I could to warn anyone else.

I am so sorry for laughing at this visual...I bet you were horrified! What did your DH say? Was he supportive, or did he laugh and say "I told you so?"

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
It is funny Very Happy now, he was so involved reading Sunday paper he didnt notice. But,I was in the bathroom for a longggggggggg time cleansing and cleansing.
Then,out to the patio with my microfiber cloth and a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
After all the masks and stuff,he has seen it all.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
skin care addict wrote:
It is funny Very Happy now, he was so involved reading Sunday paper he didnt notice. But,I was in the bathroom for a longggggggggg time cleansing and cleansing.
Then,out to the patio with my microfiber cloth and a big bottle of hydrogen peroxide.
After all the masks and stuff,he has seen it all.

LOL...I bet he has! Very Happy

5% products discount

Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
i've used tumeric powder before that was raw without the chilli its good as an exfoliator, but you shouldnt use it when your off going somewhere....
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Turmeric taken internally is supposed to be a "wonder substance" associated with all kinds of health benefits. But apparently as topical, it is not cosmetically elegant, as we say here at EDS.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I agree with the "wonderful"things that it can do,I am sure more information will come in the future.
And, I am so glad Nibn shared her experience, thats how we all learn.
My fingernails have grown back and no more yellow residue for me. LOL
I just wish I would've taken a pic for you guys when I looked in the mirror that morning.
Shock
EZUltrasound
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, my sensitive skin couldn't handle tumeric Sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |