Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
How long to build collagen through supplements???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
shelly
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:29 am      Reply with quote
Anyone know generally how long it takes to see results of increased collagen when taking oral supplements such as HA, MSM, Vit-C, Biosil, etc...? Is it a matter of weeks, months, years? And, once you stop the supplements, does it reverse right away or slowly over time?

Thanks.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I have seen people reporting about improvement in skin and nails after 6-8 weeks use of Biosil. Supposedly it takes a few weeks more to notice improvement in hair. In the clinical trial where Biosil's properties to boost collagen were proven, the benefits of Biosil were measured after 20 weeks use.

When you stop taking a diet supplement, the results will go back slowly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:43 am      Reply with quote
All I know is I take them all and wouldn't be without.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:59 am      Reply with quote
It's my "insurance plan" against the sags! That and everything else: good nutrition, rest & exercise, sun avoidance, cosmetics and my BabyQ.
When I had to be off MSM/vit C and fish oil for 3 wks, I noticed a decline in the hardness of my nails first, my skin seemed less firm and my joints started to ache more. I've been taking supplements for 20 years now and would not want to stop. That proved it to me!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to think that taking nutritional supplements results in a cumulative effect. I've been taking them all my adult life, but they're always changing, depending on my current stage in life and what my health concerns are. If I suddenly stopped, I don't think I would immediately lose the ground I've gained, but I would definitely feel/see a difference within months. I've spent a lot more time researching nutrients than I have skin care products.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Jarrow discontinued biosil...are you guys using the alternate brand now producing it? Jarrow said they would be coming out with another product this year.
havana8

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
Jarrow discontinued biosil...are you guys using the alternate brand now producing it? Jarrow said they would be coming out with another product this year.

I've always used BioSil ch-OSA drops from Lorna Vanderhaeghe....
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:

Hi, Coconut.
I am using Natrol Biosil, which is exactly the same product as the discontinued Jarrow Biosil.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm, it looks like Jarrow did come out with another formula..it is now called jarrowsil. It is a bit more expensive and now requires 10 drops rather than 5, 60 days supply in 1oz, rather than 120...I think I'll stick with the natrol!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
Hmm, it looks like Jarrow did come out with another formula..it is now called jarrowsil. It is a bit more expensive and now requires 10 drops rather than 5, 60 days supply in 1oz, rather than 120...I think I'll stick with the natrol!

I think it's about the same because you're supposed to take five drops twice daily of Natrol Biosil. One bottle will last for 60 days.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
JarrowSil: 10 drops contains 4mg silicon

Natrol Biosil: 5 drops contains 5mg silicon

Original Jarrow Formula Biosil: 6 drops contains 6mg silicon

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:58 am      Reply with quote
It varies person to person depending on what their body is challenged with at that moment in time. For instance, if a person is severly dehydrated and taking supplements, their body won't be able to distribute it as wide scale as a fully hydrated person. Also if a person is say moving house or changing jobs, this impacts their general well being as well. For supplements, when I was studying nutrition we were always advised to ensure that our clients had a 3 month supply to begin with because that was roughly how long it took for the body to recognise firstly that there was a regular supply of the supplement and secondly it would by that time begin to start using it efficiently. There are of course exceptions to every rule but like the others have said, I know from the supplements I take that I felt a difference if I didn't take them for a while and so that was confirmation for me personally!
snakebaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
Are you guys positive that taking supplements would definitely build up collagen?

I know people tend to try all kinds of supplements, but my principle is eat well, sleep well, plus regular exercises, though I myself don't do it as I wished, I know for sure nothing else does better job.

Also my concern is taking certain supplements may actually cause unexpected problems. I've heard from a friend that her friend was taking something (claimed to be very healthy, of course) and got high blood pressure at the end (not sure if it was indeed caused by the supplement). When she told me this, it was the time I was about to take something recommended by a member in my chorus group. Then I was on two things at the same time, one for allergy, one for increasing appetite. Because of my conditions, she recommended me to take more than the regular amount. In just a week, I became short of breath. I went to see my doctor. To my surprise, I was on the verge of high blood pressure! My blood pressure had been always like 90/60 in my entire life, and that moment changed everything. I was sad and became depressed, couldn't believe it. I immediately stopped taking the supplements and returned the rest. I continued to have high blood pressure, just under the edge. I later had to book an appt. just to measure the pressure. That time it was normal, but was still like around 110/88, a number never before in my life was ever recorded. After several doctor visits, I was convinced that I didn't have high blood pressure. But after taking the supplement, my blood pressure has never gone back to what it was.

Anyone had good experience so far with collagen supplements? Any bad experiences?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
hhm I heard fish oil or omega 3 will cause an increase in glucose level in your blood. So for those that're diabetic, better not take them.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:48 am      Reply with quote
snakebaby I think it depends on the person concerned. If a person is in good health, then supplements really add to that. If however they are experiencing health challenges already and then take a supplement for something entirely different their body will struggle to cope with the additional supplement plus its health challenge or concern. There really isn't a supplement out there for everyone, as we are all so unique and individual, but I do believe that the amount of nutrition that is present in our foods nowadays compared with 5, 10 or even 20 years ago is substantially different that its necessary for people to supplement their diets. Even raw fooders need to, as the nutrients just aren't present in their fullest in our foods nowadays (which are often treated with chemicals etc to prolong their shelf life). With regards to collagen, I think there isn't really a way you can take something and ensure that it only creates collagen. I always think its better to aim to remove challenges from the body (unnecessary ones) and then encourage it back to optimum health and then the collagen creation process naturally kicks in when its ready.

Naturally your principle of eating well, sleeping well and regular exercise are definitely key areas of importance, but I feel that supplementation is also important. Usually with supplements I always advise people to speak with their doctors. After all, sometimes even a healthy supplement might not be right for that person. For instance, someone with a thyroid issue shouldn't take kelp without checking with their practioner because it can impact the thyroid medication and also has an effect on the metabolism. Kelp has many advertised benefits, but if someone with a thyroid condition began taking this they could find in a very short space of time their levels became unbalanced and would probably be puzzled as to why. Also when they stopped taking it, their body would need some adjustment time to readjust to not having it and to begin getting back into its former routine.

For instance, I do like the Blood Type suggestions, as a guideline. For instance not everyone copes well with vitamin supplements. This book does actual recommend certain things for certain blood groups which are worth trying out and considering. I never used to be able to understand how my friends were benefiting many years ago from echinea, and it did absolutely nothing for me until I read this book. My friends were A/B blood types whereas I was an O. So for me this book says Vitamins and B vitamins are particularly good, as the elimination is strong. Its not uncommon for O blood types to be able to drink coffee and go to sleep because their systems are able to handle it. It then says that A/B are good with minerals and herbs particularly. That their routes of elimination aren't as strong, and that they can be a little bit more sensitive to foods etc (which was really an eye opener for me). Blood types though aren't the be all and end all, there are even differences there, for instance in determining your blood type you need to establish that of your parents etc and its not at all uncommon for a O blood type to have A/B tendancies (because one parent, or even grandparent may have been A/B etc). Its a long winded way of explaining but we really are all unique.

Your situation you have my sympathy for. I think your friend was unwise to recommend any particular supplement to you without looking at your case history. No supplement out there is known to be 100% safe for everyone and anyone. Not even pharmaceuticals have yet to my knowledge found such a medicine yet (although they keep trying). I did take a collagen supplement at one point, but never really noticed a difference and knew that collagen would be produced from consuming Vit C and MSM for me (and that my body is able to use both without any adverse reaction).

Stardustdy thats interesting re the fish oil. I have had diabetes for years and actually found that when I began taking a EPA marine fish oil, it helped to stablise the blood sugars not increase the sugar levels and I have been taking them for years. Again I think it boils down to individual bodies and what their challenges are.
snakebaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:27 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK, obviously you have done your research, thank you for sharing all these helpful info and advice. I'm not planning to take any supplements (except for regular multi V) yet, when I ever do, I will consult my doctor before taking anything. I may even buy the book you suggested so I can learn more.

It's true in a nutshell, we should never take something blindly simply because everyone else says it's good. I hope more and more people become aware of this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Snakebaby – not at all your very welcome. In fact I only began studying because I was given this kind of advice in the first place with my own personal situation. Yep working with your doctor is always the safest thing to do, and I even do that to this day still myself. Your right though, never take something someone else says blindly, at least consider there may be a different agenda or even a different question they are answering than your asking.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:06 am      Reply with quote
Sean, When you say A/B are you talking about type A and type B or type A/B?

I researched that diet for awhile - And liked some of what it referenced. But as you say it is only individualized to the degree it can be based on the parameters used.

I teach Nutrition at a University - my favorite course; and it is clear there is controversy regarding supplement use, herb use. And some information from researched sources will contradict each other.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sister Sweets

I was talking about Type A/B, as thats what my friends were. I know there is a set of recommendations for both A and B, but never remember them that well.

It is definitely only a guideline that I think people can experiment with, as I certainly don't follow it 100% as some of the suggestions just don't work for my body type however it is a useful reference for sure.

I loved Nutrition and did it at University and your right there are so many different views and arguments out there. But I think when I was originally studying that was the original text I had found which suggested that not everyone would benefit from herbs/supplements and explained the reasons which I loved. There have since been many hundreds of other books since I originally studied it suggesting other reasons.

Nutrition is an artform for sure, but its something that I always feel sad when I see modern doctors practising it with a tick the box mentality. It really needs to have someone there who understands how a persons body is working and what are their challenges and where they have come from.

Sean
nickieygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Why don't you use vitamin c serum with concentrate %? It can be effect directly to your skin. I think around 1 month you can see the result, if you use it regularly.
snakebaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:02 am      Reply with quote
nickieygirl, Which vitamin C serum? What brand? Have you used it yourself and what results? thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
stardusty-I am shocked what you just said. Well speechless is more like it. I was told my a good friend that Omega 3's might throw my system out of whack but I did not listen and several months ago instead of taking the full omegas went to the Omega 3's (Dr. Sear's to be exact).

I had Diabetes but after losing weight several years ago I got rid of it five years ago. Well in the last six months, guess what is back......my Diabetes. I exercise, I am at my ideal weight, all I can say is WOW!!!!

I need to get to a Nutritionist, do more research on these Omega 3's (My Endocrinologist doesn't have time for my Vitamin's) and thank you more than you will ever know. This is more than a beauty board people.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Coconut wrote:

Hi, Coconut.
I am using Natrol Biosil, which is exactly the same product as the discontinued Jarrow Biosil.

I started taking Natrol Biosil (1 capsule 2x day) about 2 weeks ago and my scalp suddenly broke out in zits! Shock I actually wasn't too upset....I had a very similar situation when I first started taking Viviscal which contains silica. At least I know it's doing something!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I would like to know more about adding Collagen in my system but am afraid to try something else, unless it is tested. I believe in eating well, exercise, sleep and all that. I take a multi-vitamin that my doctor recommended... I think all of us want to have good health. And I know some of you reading this, might be a "nutritionist" by treade that can give us more advice? Smile Thanks.

shelly wrote:
Anyone know generally how long it takes to see results of increased collagen when taking oral supplements such as HA, MSM, Vit-C, Biosil, etc...? Is it a matter of weeks, months, years? And, once you stop the supplements, does it reverse right away or slowly over time?

Thanks.
Lowbrowscientist
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Question:

Does anyone know if there's a specific reason why the Biosil liquid dosage is 5 drops, twice a day (as opposed to 10 drops at once)? Can the body only absorb a small amount at a time? Google and I can't seem to find any info on this.

Sometimes I forget to take the second dose, and a couple times this week I just took 10 drops in one shot. Hopefully I'm not wasting it Neutral
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |