Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi C Serums: Greater Absorption & Stability?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
havana8

Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Did anyone else find this surprising?

Obagi Medical Products Presents In Vitro Data Showing its Topical Vitamin C Serums Provide Greater Absorption and Stability than a Leading Competitor

CHICAGO, Jul 31, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Obagi Medical Products, Inc. (Nasdaq:OMPI), a leader in topical aesthetic and therapeutic skin health systems, announced the results of an in vitro study of their Obagi Professional-C and Obagi-C Rx Serums today at the American Academy of Dermatology's Summer Academy Meeting in Chicago. The data show that Obagi-C Rx Serum (4% hydroquinone, 10% L-ascorbic acid) provided a more than 10-fold greater absorption of vitamin C than the leading competitive product, Skinceuticals(R) 20%. The Obagi Professional-C Serum (20%) resulted in a more than 5-fold greater absorption of vitamin C than the leading competitive product.

In addition, both Obagi Medical Vitamin C Serums were proven to have greater stability than the leading competitor, which is important given that topical vitamin C products can be unstable thus potentially making them less efficacious.

"Vitamin C is an important antioxidant and is essential for collagen production, which keeps skin looking young and healthy. It's also very sensitive to numerous external conditions, so it is important to use a formulation that has a high level of penetration and is stable," said Harry Agahigian, lead investigator of the study. "The studies showed that the Obagi Medical vitamin C formulations provide much better absorption and greater stability versus the competitive product."

Key Findings:

Investigators sought to evaluate the absorption and stability of the three serums and the Obagi serums performed better in each objective of the study.

In an in vitro test evaluating absorption of vitamin C, each of the three serums (Obagi-C Rx Serum, Obagi Professional-C 20% Serum and the 20% L-ascorbic acid-based leading competitor product) was tested by being applied to cadaver skin for a period of 19 hours at 37 degrees C. The total absorption of vitamin C in each product was:

-- 148 micro-g with Obagi-C Rx Serum (31% of baseline amount)

-- 66 micro-g with Obagi Professional-C Serum (11% of baseline amount)

-- 12 micro-g with the competitor product (2% of baseline amount).

In a stability test, the serums, Obagi-C Rx Serum (4% hydroquinone, 10% L-ascorbic acid), Obagi Professional-C Serum (20% L-ascorbic acid), and leading competitor 20% L-ascorbic acid, were stored at 40 degrees C and the vitamin C content was measured at 1 and 3 months. An additional stability test was performed by storing the products at 45 degrees C for 1 month. Here, vitamin C content was also measured.

"We are proud that our vitamin C products provide such clinically significant advantages over the competitive product," said Steven Carlson, Chief Executive Officer of Obagi Medical Products. "Obagi Medical's top priority is to provide highly effective differentiated skin care products that are based in real science. We do that by working closely with the top experts in the skin care field."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/obagi-medical-products-presents-vitro/story.aspx?guid=%7B7F8E2D0C-21CA-491D-A2B3-353A85FC40C4%7D&dist=hppr
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I been using Obagi C Rx Serum for a few weeks...very good to hear Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
WOW is right...those absorption numbers are shocking.

The stability numbers are shocking as well...they tested them at temps of 104 and 113 Fahrenheit. Most of us don't live in those temps on a day to day basis, but trucks that move product around the country definitely get to some high temps inside, and warehouse facilities often have limited or no temperature controls.

My BIL is in warehousing, and they did dry goods storage for a large grocery
chain for a long time...the only things that were stored with ANY a/c at all were products where melting would be visible...like chocolate. (and this is in FL...scary)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
im not surprised i bought the Obagi-C Rx Serum MONTHS ago and its still fresh hasnt turned brown on me the colour is yellow i read that some people say thats when its off but that serum is always that colour from the start

well worth the money i think a pump bottle thought rather than a droplet dispenser would be better
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:37 am      Reply with quote
I think the most interesting part of these tests is not the stability but the absorption. The unnamed 20% product only had 2% absorption. This is something none of us know when it comes to Vit C products. However, I do remember someone from Jansen Beckett some time ago, saying that a 10% Vit C product could be highly effective if it was formulated correctly and had the greatest amount of absorption.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:12 am      Reply with quote
londongirl wrote:
im not surprised i bought the Obagi-C Rx Serum MONTHS ago and its still fresh hasnt turned brown on me the colour is yellow i read that some people say thats when its off but that serum is always that colour from the start

well worth the money i think a pump bottle thought rather than a droplet dispenser would be better

I agree with the comments on the bottle!! My droplet dispenser hasn't worked since I received it Mad It only takes in a tiny bit of serum and then it's almost impossible to get on my face without some mess because you have to hold it on an angle to get it on your face (I guess maybe I could lie blat on my back to apply??? LOL).
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
This is very interesting news. Thanks for posting Havana. I have been using the skinceuticals with my obagi, but I definitely will switch back to their C when I am done with my SC bottle. The absorption rate sounds great.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would really like to know how this compares to the oil-soluble version of the Vit C. Confused I try to stay pretty low acid, but this kind of info is pretty compelling if you are looking for results!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:57 am      Reply with quote
I am questioning the reliability of these test results. As far as I can understand, the study is conducted by the Obagi company itself, and this is just an in vitro study which is much less worth than a study on human skin.

Supposedly, the study has to fulfil some criteria to be presented on the American Academy of Dermatology's Summer Academy. Still, I would like to see an unbiased review of this study before I believe that the vitamin C serums from Obagi are superior to other C serums on the market.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I am questioning the reliability of these test results. As far as I can understand, the study is conducted by the Obagi company itself, and this is just an in vitro study which is much less worth than a study on human skin.

Interestingly, one thing mentioned by Justin Morgan, VP of Development at ZO Skin Health Inc., in this thread (about possible cytotoxicity in cells from lavender extract) kind of has the same theory:

"...With regard to lavender oil / essential oils and cytotoxicity it's very important to keep in mind that in-vitro cytotoxicity does not take into account absorption rate through intact stratum corneum."

Septembergirl wrote:
Supposedly, the study has to fulfil some criteria to be presented on the American Academy of Dermatology's Summer Academy. Still, I would like to see an unbiased review of this study before I believe that the vitamin C serums from Obagi are superior to other C serums on the market.

Good point. And like Bethany brought up, it would be nice to get a real handle on the absorption rate and strength of the oil-soluble vitamin C, too!

I have to admit, initially this study had me thinking of going with their brand when/if I bring a vit C serum into my skin care routine. Still mulling it over. I tried Cellex-C years ago and IIRC, I think I got more blackheads and my skin didn't like it, but tempted lately after reading here at EDS to try one again.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:12 am      Reply with quote
caboodle wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

Interestingly, one thing mentioned by Justin Morgan, VP of Development at ZO Skin Health Inc., in this thread (about possible cytotoxicity in cells from lavender extract) kind of has the same theory:

"...With regard to lavender oil / essential oils and cytotoxicity it's very important to keep in mind that in-vitro cytotoxicity does not take into account absorption rate through intact stratum corneum."

That is a good catch, caboodle. I wonder if there have been any studies on human skin that have been performed?
havana8

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
caboodle wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

That is a good catch, caboodle. I wonder if there have been any studies on human skin that have been performed?

the article says it was tested on cadaver which I assume is human skin? or no?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:56 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
caboodle wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:

Sorry, Havana, I missed that sentence completely. I would assume that you are correct.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
havana8 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
caboodle wrote:

Sorry, Havana, I missed that sentence completely. I would assume that you are correct.

Pig skin or skin from other animals are often used in these kinds of tests, but they might also use skin from human cadavers. We don't know for sure what was used in the Obagi study, although I believe animal skin is most common and most easily accessible for research.

Anyway, my main point is that the most reliable method for testing topical skin care ingredients is without doubt in vivo studies with punch biopsies from living human beings. The Obagi study is an in vitro study that does not have the same clinical relevance.

In vitro
(Latin: Within the glass) refers to the technique of performing a given experiment in a controlled environment outside a living organism, f. ex. in a test tube. Many experiments in cellular biology are conducted outside of organisms or cells because the test conditions may not correspond to the conditions inside of the organisms, this may lead to results that do not correspond to the situation that arises in a living organism.

In vivo
(Latin: Within the living) means that it takes place inside an organism. In science, in vivo refers to experimentation done in or on the living tissue of a whole living organism, as opposed to a partial or a dead one or a controlled environment. Animal testing and clinical trials are forms of in vivo research.

Source: Wikipedia

Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |