Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.
 
 back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in



Sundari Beauty Bag for Dry Skin (5 items) Pro-Derm TerreusMasque (125 ml) BDB Best Sellers Kit (5 items)
Yoga VS Pilates

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Author Message
luckylady
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 07 Jul 2008
Posts: 84
Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
What is the difference between the two? My goal is to lose about 10-15 pounds But it's hard for me to run because I've had knee surgery some time ago and it still gives me problems.

Which one will help me tone and lose weight?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1658
Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:25 am      Reply with quote
Do both! For both yoga and pilates, it varies a lot a lot with the instructor. Some pilates classes even incorporate some yoga into it, and this is best. But essentially pilates builds strength, especially core strength and yoga is more focused on flexibility. I think you should do both, with more pilates than yoga, at least in the beginning. Pilates was actually designed as an exercise for injuries, so it's very safe.

With yoga, you're more likely to get hurt. You have to have a good instructor and I believe that you have to have some amount of flexibility to get benefit out of yoga. Once you have some minimum flexibility, yoga is fantastic for increasing it. So my advice is to start with pilates and as you improve on flexibility introduce a little yoga here and where. Eventually, it could be 50/50.

_________________
24 yrs old. favorite sunscreen right now: Burnout
fitmama
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 39
Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
If you can take pilates on a reformer... (group classes of 6 or so are awesome and much cheaper than private!) It's AMAZING... I like it way more than yoga... but would also take yoga... I prefer Venyassa. And yes it does strengthen your core... but as you progress... the stretching is WAY better IMHO than yoga... mostly 'cause I like the use of the reformer to really get into some amazing stretch positions... that require a lot of strength to get out of... If I could afford a group class right now... I'd drop my gym membership in a heartbeat!

_________________
Fitmama....
tiffanyw16
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 169
Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE Pilates...Yoga not so much (but a lot of people love both). Pilates is especially great for your core and you don't have to be at any particular fitness level.
AMIntheMorning
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 132
Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I like Yoga, I just wish Pilates reformer classes weren't so friggin expensive Sad
cortigirl
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 212
Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:32 am      Reply with quote
AMIntheMorning wrote:
I like Yoga, I just wish Pilates reformer classes weren't so friggin expensive Sad


The only type of yoga i tried was hot yoga (so it turned me off big time for yoga LOL). Though i would love to get into pilates, but my GOD it's so expensive. What's up with that anyways? I almost am tempted to go learn to do it so i can do private lessons at 85 dollars an hour lol. I'd be rich!! Very Happy

_________________
Vancouver, BC Canada. Oil cleansing method all the way!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 09 Dec 2005
Posts: 829
Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Both are awesome. I find that yoga is also therapeutic and helps me spiritually and emotionally as well as physically. Pilates gives the fastest results of any exercise program I've ever tried.

_________________
Best, Jeannine (40s, fair skin, hazel eyes, sensitive skin). To fight the dread lemming sickness, I promise not to rave about a product until I have used it for a long while.
fitmama
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 39
Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I would not judge Yoga by taking Hot Yoga or Bikram... the heat can make you really sick if you're not used to it...Also, a crappy teacher can make for a bad experience. I recommend taking it a few times from different people before you decide.

Regarding Pilates... Look for group reformer lessons... They are WAY cheaper than private... usually $10-15/class. You buy a series... That's the way I took my class... it was great... just usually about 6 people... I found a great teacher at my old gym... plus once you were approved to work on the reformer a lone you had permission to use the room by yourself... Look around...

Best...

_________________
Fitmama....
cortigirl
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 13 Feb 2008
Posts: 212
Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:41 am      Reply with quote
The only thing that shocks me about pilates is that you don't burn that many calories. I usually will play squash or do spinning which burns 600-900 calories in an hour...and pilates you barely burn anything. I am just curious how it gives you great results?

_________________
Vancouver, BC Canada. Oil cleansing method all the way!
fitmama
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 39
Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well... it's kind of like weight lifting.... You don't burn a ton of calories doing that. You build muscle.... but when you're working a really good program with constant movement... you will burn... It's kind of like ballet. You can do a 45 minute bar before you even get into center floor work... and you're dripping wet from the workout... and you will rarely meet a fat dancer (well a serious one anyway...)

_________________
Fitmama....
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1408
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Both Yoga and Pilates are really nice but different (and different groups teach each differently). You do not need to spend a lot. I go to classes at lunchtime at a local college. The classes are good and cost $40/session (9-10 classes). I actually take two different classes per week the second they charge $25/per session.

Yoga is relaxing and strengthening (but at times you still do build up a sweat). I find Pilates pretty active. Some of the moves involve elbow to knees for 50-100 times or beating your arms 100 times (this is not trivial!). I think it works better than aerobics for trimming because you learn how to work various muscle groups agains each other (to support or counter balance ech other).This principal is used in Yoga too. ANyway I've had great success with waist-line trimming doing these classes and I haven't had that from pretty intensive stepper machine sessions.

_________________
50+, combo skin, roller fan
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1408
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
PS: I think that Pilates can be learned and practiced successfully using videos. Yoga, however, must only be undertaken with a good teacher because some of the positions can be harmful if you are not lined up correctly and working the correct muscles.

_________________
50+, combo skin, roller fan
fitmama
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 39
Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
I somewhat agree with Sharky... if you're coordinated you can probably learn from a video. If you're not... you need a teacher for either. Having taken pilates on a reformer in a group I watched some people REALLY struggle with the concepts presented. They NEVER would have gotten it from a video. Maybe matt style classes... regardless... if form is important as it is to both forms of exercise.... you should get a teacher for at least an introduction... that's my 2cents...

_________________
Fitmama....
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 1880
Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
fitmama wrote:
I somewhat agree with Sharky... if you're coordinated you can probably learn from a video. If you're not... you need a teacher for either. Having taken pilates on a reformer in a group I watched some people REALLY struggle with the concepts presented. They NEVER would have gotten it from a video. Maybe matt style classes... regardless... if form is important as it is to both forms of exercise.... you should get a teacher for at least an introduction... that's my 2cents...


As someone who owns a Pilates studio, I, of course have to disagree but then I see the trainwrecks of the self taught. In 12 years Ive not once seen someone who taught themselves the basics of the method correctly.
Sounds like you enjoy non traditional fitness classes. They can work wonders. FYI, vinyasa is the correct spelling.

_________________
Recent Karin Herzog convert.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Do both! For both yoga and pilates, it varies a lot a lot with the instructor. Some pilates classes even incorporate some yoga into it, and this is best. But essentially pilates builds strength, especially core strength and yoga is more focused on flexibility. I think you should do both, with more pilates than yoga, at least in the beginning. Pilates was actually designed as an exercise for injuries, so it's very safe.

With yoga, you're more likely to get hurt. You have to have a good instructor and I believe that you have to have some amount of flexibility to get benefit out of yoga. Once you have some minimum flexibility, yoga is fantastic for increasing it. So my advice is to start with pilates and as you improve on flexibility introduce a little yoga here and where. Eventually, it could be 50/50.


Actually, yoga can be very strengthening, as well as increasing flexibilty. You don't have to be naturally flexible to do yoga-- as long as you know your limits and know your body, your flexibility can increase dramactically with regular practice.

I have learned yoga from practicing it on my own as there are no yoga studios close enough for me to visit regularly. I have never hurt myself. So if someone is interested in doing yoga, but is apprehensive about going to a studio or doesn't have one near by, I'd recommend the Marlon Braccia yoga series. Very easy to follow, and easy to learn.
fitmama
Full Member
5% products discount

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 39
Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Bluesheart... How wonderful to own the studio... Yes, I do prefer a class of yoga or pilates to many other things... I prefer the type of class that brings you into yourself. Where you can't focus on anything else.It's easy to let the brain wander around while on a treadmill, or lifting weights.

With regards to videos... well, it depends really on your existing training. Don't you think? Personally, I like to have a very well trained person watching form and making correction. I think that comes from a dance background... and having a solid comprehension of what "good form" means.

The over-tired brain does not spell well now a days.

_________________
Fitmama....
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Posts: 1191
Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not saying do one and not the other-- videos or classes. My point was, if you can't go to classes (like if you do not have time to drive 45 min to a yoga studio 2-3 times a week) videos are a good option. It's better than doing nothing at all.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 12 Aug 2007
Posts: 1658
Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'm definitely not arguing that yoga isn't strengthing. I just said that yoga in comparison with pilates, yoga is more focused on flexibility. But of course pilates isn't exlusively about strength, just as yoga isn't exclusively about flexibility.

As long as you know your body and know your limits- I just don't think that everyone would be able to do that. That most beginners will be able to just know what their limits in yoga are and how to practice yoga safely and be able adapt the poses to a beginner's capabilities without the benefit of a good (live) instructor that can correct him/her... Hey, not even all live instructors can do that.

I've even had one instructor misinterpret my flexibility in some of the poses (from dancing) to mean that I was more experienced in yoga than I really was and encourage me into a pose I was not ready for. Just because I was able to physically get into that position (with his help) doesn't mean I was ready for it. He was relatively inexperienced for a yoga instructor.

ETA: If you can't make it to a yoga studio of course videos are great. But it would probably good to just take one or two classes just to make sure that you're doing the poses correctly. And then practice away on your own Very Happy

violetanne wrote:
Nimue wrote:
Do both! For both yoga and pilates, it varies a lot a lot with the instructor. Some pilates classes even incorporate some yoga into it, and this is best. But essentially pilates builds strength, especially core strength and yoga is more focused on flexibility. I think you should do both, with more pilates than yoga, at least in the beginning. Pilates was actually designed as an exercise for injuries, so it's very safe.

With yoga, you're more likely to get hurt. You have to have a good instructor and I believe that you have to have some amount of flexibility to get benefit out of yoga. Once you have some minimum flexibility, yoga is fantastic for increasing it. So my advice is to start with pilates and as you improve on flexibility introduce a little yoga here and where. Eventually, it could be 50/50.


Actually, yoga can be very strengthening, as well as increasing flexibilty. You don't have to be naturally flexible to do yoga-- as long as you know your limits and know your body, your flexibility can increase dramactically with regular practice.

I have learned yoga from practicing it on my own as there are no yoga studios close enough for me to visit regularly. I have never hurt myself. So if someone is interested in doing yoga, but is apprehensive about going to a studio or doesn't have one near by, I'd recommend the Marlon Braccia yoga series. Very easy to follow, and easy to learn.

_________________
24 yrs old. favorite sunscreen right now: Burnout
BluesHeart
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 1880
Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
And let me add that you should look for an instructor whose sole claim to training is a lot more than a weekend course.

_________________
Recent Karin Herzog convert.
jones10021
Senior Member
10% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 76
Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
Im really glad this thread was posted...i JUST had an argument with a friend -he thought (per someone else's opinion) that yoga was more difficult and i argued pilates was. Well...for me i am not flexible at all, and kind of out of shape. My (few) experiences with pilates was "ouch i cant bend that way" and "my leg is tired after lift #2!" While my experience with yoga was that is was very muscle relaxing and not very strenuous. I know it probably depends on the person, workout, and instructor...but i was really interested in answers from people who had personal experiences like me. Great threat!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 805
Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I've been doing a lot of both lately.
BrianLouckes


View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 0
Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 am      Reply with quote
My favorite is yoga and i would love to vote for yoga.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 728
Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 am      Reply with quote
They really are quite different.

Pilates is a workout. While you do get physical benefits from yoga, the purpose is to prepare your mind and body for meditation. The asanas are designed to enhance energy flow in the body. Yoga transformed my LIFE. Many people (like myself) start out to increase flexibility/strength but soon realize the true benefits. I would never be without it.

_________________
42! Currently using: NCN All-in-One, Mito-Q cream, Eviron AVST, Osea, Grateful Body. Wouldnt be without: Rhassoul clay, avocado oil, Glorybe Herbals hydrosols and perfume oils
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 805
Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
They really are quite different.

Pilates is a workout. While you do get physical benefits from yoga, the purpose is to prepare your mind and body for meditation. The asanas are designed to enhance energy flow in the body. Yoga transformed my LIFE. Many people (like myself) start out to increase flexibility/strength but soon realize the true benefits. I would never be without it.


I've read this all over the Internet and it is generally true, but I feel I am doing a full-body workout irregardless of which I do. I am sore these days all the time, though more so in my abs when I do Pilates.

If I had to choose between the two it's hard to say which I like better..... possibly yoga.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

View user's profileSend private message
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 728
Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 am      Reply with quote
yes, yoga could be considered a "workout" but that is a secondary benefit. Just my opinion. I "work out" in the gym, my yoga space is sacred.

_________________
42! Currently using: NCN All-in-One, Mito-Q cream, Eviron AVST, Osea, Grateful Body. Wouldnt be without: Rhassoul clay, avocado oil, Glorybe Herbals hydrosols and perfume oils
System
Automatic Message
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic



Babor Skinovage PX Intensifier Firming Neck & Decollete Cream (50 ml / 1.75 oz) Babor Skinovage PX Perfect Combination Daily Mattifying Cream (50 ml / 1.75 oz) PRIORI® Idebenone Complex Superceuticals® Smooth Lines (30 ml / 1 floz)