Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Do all makeup primers contain Silicone??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:44 am      Reply with quote
First, I just like to say thanks. I am a fairly new member and since finding and joining the EDS forum, I have learned SO MUCH!!

I must confess that I have also discovered how totally naive I have been about skincare!! (Like assuming a product that claims SFP 20 is totally protecting my skin with both UVA & UVB protection!). I have been a total sucker for advertising and product claims.

These forums have been so educating for me! I am now checking product ingredients and making my own judgments (with the help of everyone here!)...

Which leads to my question.... I am 38 and have large pores on my cheeks and chin. I breakout..STILL! A lot of products give me clogged pores (little bumps everywhere!). I like the idea of a makeup primer because MU seems to just highlight my large pores. But now I have learned (thanks to you guys!) that everything I've purchased to date contains silicone which in is turn probably making my skin worse and helping keep my pores large!!!

Is there such a thing as a primer without silicone? Or a primer that is good for skin that is prone to breakouts? I actually have skin that is more dry than oily so oil control is not my motivation. Just hiding flaws!!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I am afraid that most makeup primers contain lots of silicons because these ingredients give the product a great deal of slip. One exception from the rule is NV Perricone Ceramic Skin Smoother. It does contain some dimethicone, but it's not listed as a main ingredient. The product feels different from the silicone-based primers as one of the main ingredients is beta glucans. I think it's a quality product that leaves my face with a smooth, flawless finish. The only drawback is the price, $75 for 1 oz.

Ingredients:
Aqua, Sodium Carboxymethyl Betaglucans, Magnesium Silicate, Silica, Xylitol, Inositol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Glycerine, DMAE, Carbomer, Pheoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocophersolan, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Xanthan Gum, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Sorbic Acid, Copper Gluconate, Fullerenes.

http://www.perriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=shop.viewproduct&product_id=629

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
I am afraid that most makeup primers contain lots of silicons because these ingredients give the product a great deal of slip. One exception from the rule is NV Perricone Ceramic Skin Smoother. It does contain some dimethicone, but it's not listed as a main ingredient. The product feels different from the silicone-based primers as one of the main ingredients is beta glucans. I think it's a quality product that leaves my face with a smooth, flawless finish. The only drawback is the price, $75 for 1 oz.

Ingredients:
Aqua, Sodium Carboxymethyl Betaglucans, Magnesium Silicate, Silica, Xylitol, Inositol, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Glycerine, DMAE, Carbomer, Pheoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocophersolan, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Xanthan Gum, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Sorbic Acid, Copper Gluconate, Fullerenes.

http://www.perriconemd.com/index.cfm?action=shop
.viewproduct&product_id=629

Thank you. I checked out the site and decided to take the skin survey.... They offer a 10% discount on any purchases after completing the survey. Not a huge discount but every little bit helps.
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad They only ship within the US... searching for it within Canada but so far, no luck.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Also, Sofina Lucent ss is a great makeup primer, and gives some UVA/UVB protection in addition. Dimethicone is the third ingredient down, I believe. It's not greasy and I've never had a problem with it causing pimples, even in humidity.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am      Reply with quote
tiffanyw16 wrote:
Crying or Very sad They only ship within the US... searching for it within Canada but so far, no luck.

www.skinstore.com carries NV Perricone Ceramic Skin Smoother, and I believe they will ship it to Canada. You may also want to check out the reviews on this product on skinstore.com. They were pretty good!

Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I was intrigued by the Perricone Ceramic Eye Smoother as well but that had mostly horrible reviews on Skincare.com! Has anyone tried the Eye Smoother or would the regular Perricone Ceramic Smoother do fine around the eyes as well as the whole face?
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Lorac has a primer that does not contain silicone. It's nice but it's more of a light moisturizer to me, it doesn't have that silky slip to it like most primers have. It's at Sephora and drugstore.com if you want to take a look at the ingredients.
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks! I guess it has to have some kind of silicone in it to get that feel and to fill the pores??
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Tiffanyw16 it is really hard to find product lines that don't use silicones, but a really fabulous one is NaturDerm. They use natural ingredients and the high tech stuff which I love. I mean I was really glad to find a product line that does what it says, without the junk, or parabens. They list all their ingredients. You are right, that is what silicones do, but I am more concerned about the thought of plastic on my face. Anyway, they are on sale right now, I will put a post up too because I know it is a really popular product line, and I can't do without the Epidermx II. It is a manual microdermabrasion cream. It has made such a difference in my skin. You might want to check them out! Very Happy
lilybear
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to give you the link! here it is
http://www.greatnewskin.com/index2.html the packages are 30 and 40% off!
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
lilybear wrote:

Thanks. I have seen a lot of good reviews for the Epidermx on EDS so I was going to look it up already! I know have a "would like to try" list that is a mile long....now I just have to decide!
tiffanyw16
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
lilybear wrote:

The Epidermx is available right on EDS at a great price....(and shipping within Canada).
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:08 am      Reply with quote
tiffanyw16 wrote:
First, I just like to say thanks. I am a fairly new member and since finding and joining the EDS forum, I have learned SO MUCH!!

I must confess that I have also discovered how totally naive I have been about skincare!! (Like assuming a product that claims SFP 20 is totally protecting my skin with both UVA & UVB protection!). I have been a total sucker for advertising and product claims.

These forums have been so educating for me! I am now checking product ingredients and making my own judgments (with the help of everyone here!)...

Which leads to my question.... I am 38 and have large pores on my cheeks and chin. I breakout..STILL! A lot of products give me clogged pores (little bumps everywhere!). I like the idea of a makeup primer because MU seems to just highlight my large pores. But now I have learned (thanks to you guys!) that everything I've purchased to date contains silicone which in is turn probably making my skin worse and helping keep my pores large!!!

Is there such a thing as a primer without silicone? Or a primer that is good for skin that is prone to breakouts? I actually have skin that is more dry than oily so oil control is not my motivation. Just hiding flaws!!
Well good for you looking into ingredients and all! I guess you have two choices. Morgen Schick has a non silicone primer and I believe Smashbox has just come out with a non silicone primer. Theres nothing wrong with silicone, its a good water binding ingredient.

Substance derived from silica (sand is a silica). The unique fluid properties of silicone give it a great deal of slip, and in its various forms it can feel like silk on the skin, impart emolliency, and be a water-binding agent that holds up well, even when skin becomes wet. In other forms, it is also used extensively for wound healing and for improving the appearance of scars (Source: Journal of Wound Care, July 2000, pages 319–324).
southernsun
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
I also don't like much silicone on my skin, but didn't know there were alternatives for primers. Thanks for the idea, I will look for it. When my eyeshadow primers are used up once...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
I have a couple of stupid, i guess, questions now: why silicone in skin products is bad and what's the benefit of using the primer? Thanks!
southernsun
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:50 am      Reply with quote
Oh, silicone isn't necessarily "bad". It's very neutral on the skin and causes rarely allergic reactions. Also it can be quite helpful with healing scars (but this doesn't make it an required ingredient for skincare in my opinion). I don't like it very much because it gives me the feel of "plastic wrap on my skin", what might be subjective. Also it's not biodegradable (at least I never heard of one that is) and therefore not eco friendly. But, it's everybody's own choice to care about that...

I use a primer only under my eye shadows, because they tend to accumulate in the lid fold. With a primer everything stays in place.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:26 am      Reply with quote
NataliaT wrote:
I have a couple of stupid, i guess, questions now: why silicone in skin products is bad and what's the benefit of using the primer? Thanks!

I was concerned with the silicone clogging my pores?? I like the primer under foundation...it makes the foundation go on SO smooth and increases it's longevity. I have large pores and usually when I put on foundation (MMU or liquid), it just highlights the size of the pores and the foundation seems to "collect" in them. The primer fills in the pores and this doesn't seem to happen. It doesn't seem to help with my under eye lines though Confused
southernsun
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm not sure about that. Sometimes you can read about the pore clogging of silicone, but I didn't find a reliable source, most of it is just gossip in the www Wink. Doesn't mean it can't be, I tend to believe it (totally subjective, again). But if you like the look and feel, and your skin shows no sign of bad reaction...

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 am      Reply with quote
You may also wish to try LORAC aquaPRIME or Clinique City Block. Both should be silicone-free.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
NataliaT wrote:

Not stupid question at all Natalia. This is one of those products that is not necessary for the maintenance of your makeup. Save your money. Women did fine years ago without primer under their makeup.
havana8

Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
NataliaT wrote:
I have a couple of stupid, i guess, questions now: what's the benefit of using the primer? Thanks!

Benefits can include:

• Helping the skin to present a smoother, more refined and flawless texture/surface by filling/diminishing skin imperfections such as large pores, lines, wrinkles, etc.
• Helping to minimize excess oil and shine on oily skins (depending on the primer)
• Helping to maximize hydration on dry skins (depending on the primer)
• Providing a barrier between the skin and makeup for sensitive skins (depending on the primer)
• Providing a colour-correcting effect on skin tones that may be uneven or have some discolouration (depending on the primer)
• Reducing the amount of makeup needed and assisting makeup to look better longer with less need for touchups; for some people, using a primer first is the only way their makeup will stay on!

Smile
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
tiffanyw16 wrote:
I was intrigued by the Perricone Ceramic Eye Smoother as well but that had mostly horrible reviews on Skincare.com! Has anyone tried the Eye Smoother or would the regular Perricone Ceramic Smoother do fine around the eyes as well as the whole face?

I got an email from beauty.com that a full size of Perricone Ceramic Eye Smoother will be given free with $20 purchase. But after reading this post, I'm not sure I even want a free one. Shock Has anyone tried it and what are your results?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I use a primer from Arbonne, in looking at the ingredients I realize I don't know all the scientific names for silicone. It does go on with a really silky slip as someone said. And makes for a really nice finish.

The only silicone based product I broke out from was Frizz Ease (hair product)... I don't have problems with the Arbonne... I also don't use it daily, as I just don't wear makeup daily. It's full price is $32.50

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
EDS recently added BE's Prime Time Foundation Primer –– Oil Control which is described as being free of silicones, preservatives and oil…

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Modified Corn Starch, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Zinc PCA, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Sclerotium Gum, Citric Acid

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/bare-escentuals-prime-tim-p_10933.htm
(I think you have to be logged into your EDS store account in order to see BE products online at EDS)
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |