Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Why do makeup sales assistants recommend dark foundations??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but every department store makeup SA seems to push foundations that are too dark on me! It's happened with Lancome, Laura Mercier, Bobbi Brown, Cargo and Dior, over the years. Consistently, they insist that a particular shade of foundation or tinted moisturizer is "just right" for me, and they always end up being too tan, too orangy, and just plain too dark. When I suggest that they seem a little dark, the SAs always say "Oh no--it's perfect for you!" I'm relatively pale complected, but not by any means milky white, so it isn't as though there wouldn't be a good shade available for me. But it's like pulling teeth to get a sales assistant to see this.

Luckily, I've learned to always ask for a sample to try in all lighting before buying a full sized version, but it's still annoying to me. Do they think that tanned skin looks better? (Even against a whiter neck??) Or is it just laziness--picking an "average" shade is easier than really trying to match a customer. Or is it just me?
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I have exactly the same problem, and now also always ask for the sample to try by myself. I think they train them that way - sort of "healthy sun-kissed look"...

Some European SAs sometimes are better, but not always.

Also, someone told me to go outside and check if it still looks good, since the lighting in the stores is horrible.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:04 am      Reply with quote
ha, the same thing happened to me many times. I think they assume I am an air hostess.
fitmama
5% products discount

Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 am      Reply with quote
Probably the crappy lighting... You should walk outside with a mirror and a patch tested on your skin...

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
ooh don't get me started on this. I spent so much $$$$ buying that Shiseido foundation and it looked nice INSIDE...as soon as I walked outside, my face had an orange shade against my neck!!!! Plus the SA didn't take my coupon for department store points! Grr!

If I go foundation shopping again I'll make sure to do a patch test then walk outside and sit in the car under the sun. Lol!

5% products discount

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Also... if you shop at a Nordstroms, they will still take back just about anything is my understanding...

Or ask the sales rep about their return policy...

Or as someone said... get several samples in a few shades... and test!!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
I really think its the lighting, which will never give you a perfectly matched foundation color to your skin tone. Choose 3 shades and swipe them close the the jawline and ask if you can take the hand mirror and check it in DAYLIGHT. Whichever shade disappears IS the shade to buy. Thats what the MAs tell me here. You don't have to go home with any product you don't want.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
well I have a similar situation but not with foundation. It's with concealer. Whenever I asked them which shade is better in covering my eye circles, they'll just randomly pick one. They will then apply it on me but I can still see the circles thru and I don't like how it is on my skin! I told them that I don't really like it as I can still see my circles. The sales would tell me that's the best it can get and try to pressure me to get it or try to introduce me other products that I have no interest in! Anyways, now that I'm into MMU, I can just order samples to test my shades and save the hassle!
Margot
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:13 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft, you hit on one of my major pet peeves. I'm light/medium asian, but sales associates see "person of color" and immediately pull out dark orange. Makes me crazy!! Luckily, by now I can tell at a glance what will definitely not work and blow them off. But arghhh!! Mad
NataliaT
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
1) as many have already said, -- bad lighting. I always go outside with a mirror to see how the color looks in the natural light. And i don't care how weird it seems Cool
2) there is a perception (and i was surprised to read it even in Vogue) that going 1-2 shades darker than your actual skin tone makes you look "fresher" ("tanned" or smth????).
fitmama
5% products discount

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Well... a gazillion years ago before there were sooooooooooooo many types of makeup... I used to get an oil free foundation... and get it a few shades darker than my color.... THEN I'd mix it with water to give not so much coverage as more of a tint. It evened out minor imperfections... and looked nice... no mask... but todays foundations tend to be put on thicker... and THAT means it must match with perfection...

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Back when I was twelve, and finally allowed to wear makeup, my mom took me to buy one of every type of basic makeup as my birthday present. We did it department-store wise, since she wanted it to be something special (and she always just wore drugstore makeup). So we kind of just turned ourselves over to the sales assistants.

The MAC gal sold me a foundation shade that was waaaaay too pale -- and I'm incredibly pale and usually need the lightest shade out there! I looked like a friggin' corpse, but I wore that stuff for ages to help cover up my acne before I realized that a) it looked awful and b) it was full of stuff that made my acne worse.

We had also gone to a small local cosmetics shop/consultation center/spa kinda place, and they sold me a very pinkish concealer based on the fact that I have pale skin with pink undertones and rosy cheeks. But I had specifically told them I wanted something for under-eye circles. Do you have ANY idea how awful it looks to cover up dark circles with PINK? I looked like an alien for about a week and then I just threw it away. (And it was EXPENSIVE -- I felt so sad that my birthday present had been wasted like that! And we were too clueless to request a refund or anything.)

Ugh. I really do think it's mostly lighting, though I also think some SAs are clueless and just want to make the sale no matter what. For stuff like concealers, a lot of places don't have very many shades -- Clinique has only had three (light, medium and dark) for as long as I can remember. And so they'll try and push to make a sale since they know they have to fit you into one of those three boxes. But for gals like me who wear concealer with nothing over it, it's important that the concealer be a better match!

Now I just buy MMU, and it's so easy to get tons of samples, plus the individual products are pretty cheap. I wound up buying enough shades to make my own custom concealer palette, and I blend the shades I need depending on my skin's tone -- i.e. whether it's rosier on my cheeks, or bluer under my eyes, or whether I have a tan, etc. This works FAR better than anything some SA recommended to me! Laughing

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:24 am      Reply with quote
You're right about the color selection in mineral makeup, ginnieliz. It really spoils you for lines that don't have a dozen intensities and four or five undertones. Too bad that my mature dry skin sometimes doesn't get along with mineral makeup. I still do wear it in the summer sometimes...
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I get the same thing!!
I'm indian- golden medium skin tone and anytime I check out a new foundation, they pull out something with pink in it ( I have yellow undertones) and they will pick out the darkest shade they have!
My skin is MAC NC40 and once when I ran out and went to buy a new bottle I told the SA i wanted NC40, she said "oh no, that is much too light for you, you are much darker and need a warmer shade". Well she pulled out one that was way too dark and pink and said it looked good (it didn't) and then when I told her to try the NC40, she kept saying, thats going to be way too light and that she was an NC35 and there is no way I am an NC 40. Well I got her to put it on, and it blended into my skin perfectly. No lines etc. Well I think i made her eat her words after that!!
ginnielizz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft, have you ever tried mixing your MMU with oil or moisturizer? I sometimes do that with concealer to get better results on drier areas. With mixed exults I admit (no pun intended) but it might be worth a try. Smile

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
lilome
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:05 am      Reply with quote
I'll have to agree about SA's being obssessed with dark shades of make-up. However, I don't think it's just the lighting.

Somehow they believe that everyone has to look sun-kissed even when they are relatively pale and don't sit in the sun!

45, normal skin, formerly break out prone, normalised through OCM, CP's, Retin-A, emu oil, very few fine lines, some sagging in jawline on the way to be corrected thanks to Ageless, Facercise, Flexeffect, delighted with pucker-up, dermarolling , knuckle massage, tanaka massage, cross-stretching, facial detox
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 am      Reply with quote
I had actually just read that Kyra Sedgwick's MA used a darker shade of foundation (Like 3-5 shades darker) to give her a more tanned look. Of course they probably extended it and blended it like magic. I would chalk up most suggestions due to bad lighting but they may also be trained to think that you should use a darker shade to look tanner. ? Also I do find that when I use my natural shade (in the slim instances that its actually made for my pale skin) that I look slightly dead. So that could be another reason.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |