Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
this may sound silly but I have to ask...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I feel sort of ridiculous asking this Confused but here goes. A while ago I heard on t.v (actually I think it was Martha Stewart Shock ) that when you sleep with your face on a pillow, your skin on that side gets very dry, therefore more wrinkled, because the pillow absorbs the moisture. I am a "side sleeper" and, as it happens, the side I usually sleep on has this little extra line that has sort descended from my laugh line. Sad So, there I am trying to to fall asleep on my back, which I find virtually impossible. Mad Do you think its worth the effort? I'm not a huge fan of the lovely jailbird and don't know why I was watching her, but that tip touched on a sensitive area. Am I nuts or what? Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:18 am      Reply with quote
I remember reading this thread before...

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1369

I'm a side sleeper too. I pretty much have half of my face pressed into my pillow all night long. I find it nearly impossible to sleep on my back.
Found this on a website..

' "Watch out for sleep wrinkles," says Dr. Binstock. These are wrinkles that are caused by pressing your face into the pillow at night. If you're guilty of this habit, learn to sleep on your back instead, or experiment to find a position where your face is not pressing the pillow. You may see some of your smaller lines fade away. '

Not sure if the quote is from a REAL doctor or not. It sort of makes sense in a way that if you are squashing your face against a pillow all night that it can drag your skin a bit and cause a few small lines. Sad
I've not heard the moisture thing before though.

*Edited*

Just found this snippet off a website...

'Dermatologists can identify the side of the face you sleep on by looking at your wrinkles. Sleep on a big, soft non synthetic pillow with a satin pillow case to minimize any effect on the skin.'
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Your not nuts and shouldn't be afraid of asking any questions Very Happy

I have more wrinkles/crows feet on one side of my face/eye than the other from sleeping on that side, due to the pillow!

I need to find the website and I will post, there is a pillow just for helping this! I know a gal who uses it and loves it. I need to email her and will post back later!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:56 am      Reply with quote
found the website for the pillow!

http://www.beautypillow.com/index.html

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:02 am      Reply with quote
euwwwwww! that poor girl got so wrinkly! I must get one, maybe I'd sleep better if I wasn't constantly worried about wiping my face cream off! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely right!!! I am a side sleeper. I sleep on my left side. The left side of my face has a much deeper crease from nose to mouth.

My Mom always would ask: "why does one side of my face have wrinkles and the other doesn't?" This was when she was 75. It because she slept on that side of her face.

I tried sleeping on my back but soon gave it up. I enjoy curling up so much on my left side. I will be darned if I give up my comfort for beauty. Laughing

I was also looking at the face pillow but know I would end up working myself into the wrong position anyway. Like, I wear a night guard to help me not clench my teeth at night. Half the time it ends up on the floor. When I see it there in the AM I don't even remember taking it out of my mouth. Shock

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:39 am      Reply with quote
My grandmother recommended using a satin pillowcase. Your face can't "stick" to it so no lines and also keeps "set hair" from getting too mussed. Ha!
healthywhite
5% products discount

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
Gaash, why're you ladies so terrified about getting wrinkles? It's a natural process as we go the distance, why try to change that?? why not accept what nature gives us as we age?

You're the same bunch of people who preach against skin lightenin' methods askin' the Asians and Hispanics- why not accept the way nature created ya'?

Just a thought to build on....

H.W.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:26 pm      Reply with quote
Umm. This is a skincare board. In case you haven't noticed, we're all nuts over skincare. So that pretty much translates into doing what we can (to a certain point)to hold back the hands of Mother Nature. And besides that, it's just FUN to try all this stuff out. It's true that aging shouldn't be a giant battle to stay looking 20 forever. So, you're right -what's a few wrinkles? That's what we're trying to do - keep it to just a FEW. Smile
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:09 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 said:

That's what we're trying to do - keep it to just a FEW.

Amen to that!!

I really think the fun is the best part of it, afterall I doubt any of us expect to look 20 yrs younger (especially you girls in your twenties Laughing ) If its fun and we see changes in our 10X magnifying mirror, I say go for it! Very Happy Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:27 pm      Reply with quote
I definitely get sleep wrinkles, but try as I might, cannot sleep on my back. I looked at those beauty pillows a while ago, but wondered if they would make much difference. Might consider one again though, but in the UK they dont seem to be widely available.
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
ANYONE OUT THERE EVER TRIED ONE OF THOSE BEAUTY PILLOWS???

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Invariably every morning when I wake up I have sleep lines all over my face - so who knows what the heck I'm doing when I'm sleeping! Maybe I should try a satin pillow. There's no way I can sleep on my back - it's just not comfy to me. I'm always whacking the crap out of my husband b/c he loves to sleep on his back, but when he does he SNORES like the dickens - but wait a minute.....he has no wrinkles...hmmmm....

Nope, I like to wake up in the morning in my puddle of drool from having slept so soundly on my side - lol!!! The other morning I woke up having forgotten to take my watch off the night before and I must have had my hand under my cheek b/c I had the entire imprint of my watch on it - and it wasn't gone by the time I went to work!!!! Such a class act, I am!

Laughing Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered one. It will take some time to reach me in Honduras but I'll let you know what I think of it.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I would never have the special pillow in the right place once morning came. Laughing

I wear a night guard for clenching my teeth and half the time it ends up on the floor. I don't even remember taking it out of my mouth. Shock

I love sleeping on my side (left side). I do have more lines on that side of my face. But I will be darned if I will sacrafice my comfy position for beauty.

I did buy a silk pillow case some time back and I think it helps a lot.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Mogwai
5% products discount

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
well i definitely get a very clear and distinct crease running along side my nose down to my mouth when i sleep on my right side - the side i naturally turn to when asleep. for about the last two months i've been trying to sleep on my back, and it has been a real battle. it's on my mind enough, though, that i seem to wake up just enough to realize i'm on my side, and i've had a number of nights recently that i've spent most of the night on my back. i can see a clear difference in the morning, because the crease is barely there! also, i do have worse crow's feet and under eye lines on that right side, and they seem diminished when i sleep on my back. yep, it's true.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
One thing that does seem to make a difference is nightime moisturizer. Now I know that none of you girls would ever go to bed without your moisturizer, Shock but sometimes I'm just too tired or too lazy to do my nightly routine. Confused I notice that when that happens, the wrinkles look much deeper in the morning. Crying or Very sad

JUDY

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
freefall2 wrote:

I just ordered one. It will take some time to reach me in Honduras but I'll let you know what I think of it.

Be sure to let us know how it works. I've been trying to sleep on my back and my legs always feel uncomfortable so I was thinking of putting a pillow under my knees. I can't imagine I'd stay that way for long. I also think it would be very hard to fall asleep in that "staged" position.
hmm, maybe I could just drug myself, but then I'd become addicted to sleeping pills and that probably isn't very good for the skin...JUST KIDDING!! Wink Laughing Oh well, freefall2, let us know how it goes with the pillow. Thanks and hope it doesn't take too long to get to you.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I got me and my partner silk pillows a while ago, mainly to combat dray/breaking hair (partner) but heard it was excellent for you skin too so got myself one! I really like it. I always sleep on my side but when I sleep with the silk pillowcase I rarely wake up with creases. The only downside I think is that it seems to make my hair a little greasier! Don't know if I'm imagining it though!

I got mine formwww.carmonasilk.com they seemed to be the most reasonable.

They also sell headscarves etc which are great for people with dry/curly European hair or Afro hair.

Hope this helps
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
Well..I actually slept on my back last night..at least I think I did. Woke up with a migraine but, oh well, you can't have everything. Embarassed Anyway, I usually sleep with this weird pillow that's called a "butterfly pillow," because of neck problems Rolling Eyes and its pretty small so I put another pillow under it and fell asleep that way, and somehow woke up that way. If I do it again tonight and wake up with the headache again, I'll have to go to plan B...whatever that is! hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
I had neck issues so I use an erogonomic pillow (love it! the foam molds to ya!) and now after this thread thinking of getting a satin pillow case! I wanted the pillow in the website I posted but afraid I will have neck problems again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies the pillow I will use till the day I die is Therapeutica from Canada. I had chronic neck problems that left me in tears every day and off work a lot, but this single pillow changed my life. (that sounds stupid but it is true).

If you want to sleep on your back there is NOTHING in the world like it for neck support. It has a piece that comes out and supports the neck down to the top of the spine. I pull my body pillow round under my bum to add lower back support and can sleep on my abck all night with therapeutica

http://www.mybackstore.com/PRODUCTS.ASP?MENUID=30&SubMenuID=0&Product=2009

I do tend to sleep on my right side mostly though and find with this pillow I tend to support my jaw/ear on the edge of the pillow and my face kinda touches nothing. (yea, I am odd) I also have a satin case but that was recommended to stop my hair knotting.

But another pillow I saw once for stopping wrinkles was from Australia, called the DOVE pillow and it was shaped even stranger (and yes! had a satin pillow case). I have been meaning to try this one too.. http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/dove_pillow_more.shtml

kinda hard to have these big pillows when ya gotta share the bed! THink I need to upgrade from Queen size to KING Laughing
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
from the same company... the satin beauty pillow. oh they haev lots of lovely things

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/satin_beauty_more.shtml
Nanapost
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:03 am      Reply with quote
So how is satin suppose to ward off wrinkles? I've heard that people use (or used to) satin pillowcases to protect their hairdos. But I don't get the wrinkle thing. hmm

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Nanapost wrote:
So how is satin suppose to ward off wrinkles?

Not totally sure on that one but I've read it has something to do with friction. With the smoothness of satin, your face is less likely to drag across the pillow when you move about. I also read that with satin you don't wake up with as many crease marks on your face.
I've no evidence of this though so perhaps somebody who has used a satin pillowcase can explain further. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |