Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Silicone...is it Good or Bad for skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vanbergc
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Okay...I'm confused here...(not a strange state for me to be in Shock )

I've read so many conflicting statements about the "health" of silicone in products...both facial and hair.

If you go to a natural skin care site, they hate silicone and say this...

"Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.) Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.· Dimethicone · Dimethicone Copolyol · Cyclomethicone"

Now if you go to someone who uses Silicone in their products like Jane Iredale, you'd get a completely different story:

"Made from sand (silica) that is a combination of minerals but largely comprised of quartz. This state-of-the-art ingredient replaces the need for oils and is the coating on our micronized titanium dioxide. Dimethicone aids spreading, is transfer resistant and imparts a remarkable smoothness and creaminess to the overall product. It also improves coverage without adding heaviness. And, it is non-comedogenic and highly water repellent. It gives micronized titanium dioxide the highest light refractive ability of any titanium. This outstanding ingredient is one of the driving forces behind the creative evolution of color cosmetics.

In a recent medical article titled "Effective Sunscreen Ingredients and Cutaneous Irritation in Patients with Rosacea," Dr. Nichols and colleagues found that the addition of silicon-based protectants (dimethicone and cyclomethicone) into sunscreens greatly reduced facial irritation that rosacea sufferers experienced to these products. The physicians performed this study because in their medical experience patients with rosacea are particularly susceptible to irritation caused by sunscreen ingredients.

The results of the study demonstrate that in addition to their protective actions, dimethicone and cyclomethicone were found to have excellent moisturizing actions."

Wow...two VERY different stories! I know I hate silicone in hair products...probably because there's so much in them, and they seem to "grease-up" the facial skin around my hairline and make my hair look flat and oily (have dry hair). But then again, I don't have a problem with JI products and other facial products that contain dimethicone, cyclomethicone, etc, at all.

What do you all think? Any experiences with the silicones?

Thanks, Cathy
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:35 am      Reply with quote
hi Cathy! Very Happy

Silicone breakouts out alot of people, if it doesn't break you out, it gives *slip* to alot of products like foundation primers and foundations. I don't use it everyday and it doesn't seem to break me out, but when I want a smoooother surface I will use it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:12 am      Reply with quote
hmm interesting.

I know in the Benefit range it's in the Dr.Feelgood and I have used it in the past before apply foundation because if you have open pores it sort of acts like Polyfiller (For our us cousins I think it's called Spackle Very Happy )
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:57 am      Reply with quote
silicone is not the same as silica or even silicon! If ya want the science here is a site! if not, then basically silicon (no 'e') is an element found in oxides and silicates
Silica is silica dioxide or sand
SiliconE is a synthetic polymer and is not natural but is made out if silicon. Now, I hope that you fully understand. I WILL be setting homework on this next week rofl
Liz Cool

http://www.silicone-review.gov.uk/silicone/

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Silicone and silica are totally different things. Silicone tends to clog a lot of people's pores. I can't stand the artificial slippery texture myself, and products containing silicones almost always clog my pores overnight.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Personally, the silicones in products today do not clog my skin. I love the feel of it. When I really want a smooth texture, I use silicone-based products. Smash Box's Photo Finish is PURE silicone....Imagine, a $40 bottle of silicone. Wonder if I could add it to other products to improve texture and slip?
Lee
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Silicones in makeup (ie Max Factor Colour Adapt) do clog my pores, but I loved the way the foundation looked otherwise. I now use glycolic lotion each night and have no problems any more,in fact my skin is a lot calmer than it used to be.
vanbergc
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
Okay...now I'm even more confused. I read the reference guapagirl gave us(thanks!) but I truly believe these two chemicals are related...take a look at this:

"Synonyms
Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS),
Dimethicone,
Cyclomethicone,
Cetyl dimethicone,
Cyclopentasiloxane,
Silicone oil

Description
Silicones are a large group of compounds that include large polymers containing silicon. Depending on the formula and the degree of polymerization and cross-linking of the polymers, they may be slippery liquids, waxes, or rubbers.

Uses
Silicones are used as emollients (skin softeners), as lubricants, as thickeners, and as volatile liquids that make coatings feel smooth, but evaporate without leaving a greasy residue. "

And even Jane Iredale intersperces the use of silicon:"...silicon-based protectants (dimethicone and cyclomethicone)...". So is Silicon the "earth" ingredient, and Silicone a petroleum bastard of Silicon? Don't know, but this has definitely been an eye opener. Still would like to avoid SiliconE if I can!

Thanks All!
Cathy

PS. Oops...that's what you were saying, wasn't it, that the two elements are related...didn't read guapagirl's post correctly. So, is Jane Iredale using a "questionable" ingredient in her foundations?
vanbergc
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh...and Homework!....Shiver!....
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
What about the Signature Club A that advertises on HSN (Home Shopping Network). It is makeup and pre-makeup products that fill in very mature womans lines and wrinkles Silicone). It is very inexpensive. I just got the idea it would be like plaster on you face and when you smiled it would crack. Laughing

Has anyone tried this product? I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

Thanks,
Winnie
Mr. Winnie is away on business so you will be hearing a lot from me. Embarassed

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Winnie....

When you get the answer on that question, I want to know.

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:42 am      Reply with quote
just had to add the thumbs up for the photofinish - it does what is says on the tin - softens the look of fine lines & pores and makes your foundation look smooth. I don't care what's in it for a night out. Laughing
angelkubo

Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
So, do you understand it, Cathy?
I don't. Help me.
What is Dimethicone made of?
Some say it made of silicone (plastic).
And, other say made of silica (mineral).
Are there two kind of dimethicones?

Angel[size=18][/size]
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
I use mineral sunscreen which contains silicone ...honestly i have not seen any irritation in my skin...no rashes or anything and my skin is ultra sensitive. if anything my skin is softer and i actually prefer wearing the sunscreen because my skin feels like a baby's bottom...i dont break out from it either. sweat can irritate the skin no matter what...so i wouldnt believe everything you read...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie, you can find reviews on signature club A non toxic silicone plus at http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=41253/Non_Toxic_Silicone_Plus/Signature_Club_A/Treatments/

Tipu Smile
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
tipu wrote:
Winnie, you can find reviews on signature club A non toxic silicone plus at http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemID=41253/Non_Toxic_Silicone_Plus/Signature_Club_A/Treatments/

Tipu Smile

Thanks Tipu Smile

So funny...I have HD TV now (every detail shows up). Unbelievable how they plaster the makeup on the models on HSN. Shock The average person wouldn't leave their house looking like that. I would rather have a few wrinkles then look like I have a mask on. Rolling Eyes
steph2039
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
So funny...I have HD TV now (every detail shows up). Unbelievable how they plaster the makeup on the models on HSN. The average person wouldn't leave their house looking like that. I would rather have a few wrinkles then look like I have a mask on.

LOL...I couldn't agree more. My husband talked about us getting hdtv for a while but the thing that finally made me say, "Yes" was when I heard that the detail was so good that you'd be able to see that even movie stars have pores like the rest of us. Very Happy It's true!

Stephanie
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Theres lot of info swirling around the internet, mainly misinformation on cosmetic ingredients. The cosmetic dictionary from Ruth Winters book or cosmetics cop website are the only ones that have integrity. These people do their research complete with references:

Silicone. Substance derived from silica (sand is a silica). The unique fluid properties of silicone give it a great deal of slip and in its various forms it can feel like silk on the skin, impart emolliency, and be a water-binding agent that holds up well, even when skin becomes wet. In other forms, it is also used extensively for wound healing and for improving the appearance of scars (Source: Journal of Wound Care, July 2000, pages 319–324).
[quote]
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |