Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Foundation Recs to cover Melasma?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cinlo

Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:08 am      Reply with quote
I have noticeable reddish brown splotches on my cheeks and forehead which my dermatologist has diagnosed as Melasma. I'll be undergoing a skin care routine involving glycolic acid pads and Tri-luma lotion. I'm doing this vs. laser due to expense. It could take up to 6 months to diminish. I'd like to cover it up until then. Currently I use Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich which I love, but it doesn't conceal the melasma.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 am      Reply with quote
Dermablend is designed for high coverage and is used to cover birthmark stains as well as melasma pigmentation. For highest coverage, you might give it a try.
fitmama
5% products discount

Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I've been able to cover my spots with Bare Minerals (so probably any good mineral makeup). For extra coverage, I wet a small eye shadow brush... dip and and brush on blend a bit... and then my regular coverage.

Good luck!

Don't forget sunscreen... melasma is the result of Sun and wacked out hormones (or at least in my case...)

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Cinlo - where do you live? In a place with high humidity? The reason I ask is I’ve had “pigmentation” misdiagnosed as melasma or sun damage (by more than one dermatologist) when in fact it’s turned out to be a fungal thing, and easily treatable, thanks to the keen eye of my very smart GP.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
Cinlo - where do you live? In a place with high humidity? The reason I ask is I’ve had “pigmentation” misdiagnosed as melasma or sun damage (by more than one dermatologist) when in fact it’s turned out to be a fungal thing, and easily treatable, thanks to the keen eye of my very smart GP.

appletini - I do live in high humidity (at least in summer), and I've got this wierd rash on my face that has mystified a few derms. Fungal cream clears it up, but it comes back...AND I have what appears to be melasma. So what is this fungus, and what is the treatment for you?

TIA!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:25 am      Reply with quote
nadjazz - Mild cases of tinea versicolor often get misdiagnosed as melasma, or so I’ve read.

I’m now pretty sure that’s what I’ve had on my shoulders, although if anyone had tried to tell me it was fungal up until recently I would have sworn black and blue it wasn’t. I’ve also got two spots on my face, supposedly “melasma”, which never really responded to any of the usual things like hydroquinone. I've started an anti-fungal blitz on these and it looks like they're starting to disappear, but taking a little longer than I expected. There’s also a TV related fungal form of folliculitis (often misdiagnosed as acne) which I suspect I may have had a bit of in the shoulder area.

I’m using a 2% zinc pyrithione cleanser 2x per day and various anti-fungals - terbinafine and any of the “azole” anti-fungals are recommended for TV.

Hope you work out what your rash is. Actually if it turns out to be TV, that’s not such a bad thing as it’s much easier to get rid of than melasma Smile However it almost always recurs ... grrrr Supposedly over 50% of people living in tropical/high humidity areas have TV so the odds aren’t good

Anyway, I better not hijack cinlo’s thread. I’ve been meaning to start a thread on this topic when I have time ...
cinlo

Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:04 am      Reply with quote
appletini, I live in the southern U.S. which does have high humidity during the summer months. I'll have to look into the conditions you mentioned. Although, mine began while pregnant so I tend to think it is melasma.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
nadjazz - Mild cases of tinea versicolor often get misdiagnosed as melasma, or so I’ve read.

I’m now pretty sure that’s what I’ve had on my shoulders, although if anyone had tried to tell me it was fungal up until recently I would have sworn black and blue it wasn’t. I’ve also got two spots on my face, supposedly “melasma”, which never really responded to any of the usual things like hydroquinone. I've started an anti-fungal blitz on these and it looks like they're starting to disappear, but taking a little longer than I expected. There’s also a TV related fungal form of folliculitis (often misdiagnosed as acne) which I suspect I may have had a bit of in the shoulder area.

I’m using a 2% zinc pyrithione cleanser 2x per day and various anti-fungals - terbinafine and any of the “azole” anti-fungals are recommended for TV.

Hope you work out what your rash is. Actually if it turns out to be TV, that’s not such a bad thing as it’s much easier to get rid of than melasma Smile However it almost always recurs ... grrrr Supposedly over 50% of people living in tropical/high humidity areas have TV so the odds aren’t good

Anyway, I better not hijack cinlo’s thread. I’ve been meaning to start a thread on this topic when I have time ...

appletini, thanks for the great info! This explains why what appears to be rosacea and hyperpigmentation on my face does not respond well to the usual treatments. Clotrimazole has been working waaay better than metrogel, and now I know why! Looking forward to your new thread.

Sorry, cinlo, for highjacking your thread. I've tried the heavier foundations (not dermablend, but something similar), but don't like the mask-like appearance. Then you need to apply blush, contouring, etc....to look more natural! I've settled for medium coverage (like Shiseido stick foundation). It makes it less noticeable, but not a total cover-up.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Here are some other suggestions that I have actually tried, all are med-full coverage leaning more towards full.

Laura Mercier-Silk Creme, comes in a tube, excellent coverage, one of the best, but color selection is limited. This will hid your melasma, always get a sample to try out for a couple days before buying!

Trica Sawyer Creme Foundation- dual pan, two colors, one lighter more pink undertones, the second darker with yellow undertones. You use very little product and it has a very natural finish. Check out her website, lots of cool video showing makeup application.

Dior- Forever Liquid-Comes in a nice pump bottle, long wearing and dries to a soft matte finish.

My co-worker who has lots of melasma and uses the full coverage mac foundation, looks really natural on her, but by the end of the day, it definitely starts to wear off.

Good luck on your search!
sylvitay
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I mix some mineral makeup in my moisturizer otherwise it cakes in my lines.... Embarassed
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I haven't used it myself, but I see that Coverblend makeup is one of the weekly specials at 1/3 off this week.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:04 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |