Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Soap nuts...a natural laundry soap from trees
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:07 am      Reply with quote
In the pursuit of going more green, I ran across this website which sells soap nuts. It's been used extensively for hundred of years in India and Indonesia as a soap for washing clothes. Does anybody have experience with soap nuts?

Reading the reviews I've found so far, most people seem to like it very much. I'm going to shelve the Tide and see how it cleans. This website seemed to have the best price. Maggie's Soap Nuts is another website which carries it.

http://www.betterlifegoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BLG-CAT21496
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be afraid of what it might do my clothes in terms of fading, etc. If you keep reading further down it says if the soap nuts get stuck in one place during the wash they stain the material they get caught up in.

You'll have to let us know how they work. I'm a die-hard Cheer user. I like the way it keeps my clothes looking and the clean scent.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
In the pursuit of going more green, I ran across this website which sells soap nuts. It's been used extensively for hundred of years in India and Indonesia as a soap for washing clothes. Does anybody have experience with soap nuts?

Reading the reviews I've found so far, most people seem to like it very much. I'm going to shelve the Tide and see how it cleans. This website seemed to have the best price. Maggie's Soap Nuts is another website which carries it.

http://www.betterlifegoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BLG-CAT21496

Boski, if you are trying to go greener but aren't quite ready to take the plunge with the "soap nuts," have you thought about trying a green detergent such as Seventh Generation? I read that if every household in the US switched just one of their normal petro-based detergents with a bottle of non-petro Seventh Generation, an incredible amount of energy would be saved. On top of that, they don't test on animals! I've been using their Lavender and Blue Eucalyptus detergent forever and I just love it----- it smells so wonderful!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I use soap nuts sometimes...not great for things needing stain removal but fine for a general wash. Can be bought at Lakeland in the UK or at Wholefoods. I don't like the little cloth bags though as I find them hard to untie, so I just put them in one of the zillion delicates wash bags with zips I have. Personally, I haven't had any issues with staining.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
daisylondon wrote:
I use soap nuts sometimes...not great for things needing stain removal but fine for a general wash. Can be bought at Lakeland in the UK or at Wholefoods. I don't like the little cloth bags though as I find them hard to untie, so I just put them in one of the zillion delicates wash bags with zips I have. Personally, I haven't had any issues with staining.

Hi Daisy!

I've been using the soap nuts for a couple weeks now and I'm very happy with them. Clothes come out fine with no overwhelming fragrance to them. I'm still using dryer sheets though because I'm worried about static. They seem adequate for normal levels of dirt but I have not tested them on really stained things.

Thanks for the tip on the little cloth wash bags. I hate those tie up bags too, I can't ever find them!! I've haven't seen any staining issues either. How do you know when it's time to change your nuts though? It says they can be reused 2 or 3 times, but I'm doubtful about that, so I've been using new nuts every wash practically.
brokenstar

Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
my friends and i are going to place a bulk order with organicsoapnuts<dot>net (based in the usa by the way!) i've ordered from them before and have been really happy compared to some other places i tried, anyways...the more we order the cheaper they are, and with what we are ordering its already about 12 dollars a pound...so if anyone is interested in going in on it... let me know, i think we can do better !

mybrokenstar<at>gmail<dot>com

PS. sapindusmukorossi<dot>com is a great reference for many of ways you can use soapnuts
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
How do you know when it's time to change your nuts though? It says they can be reused 2 or 3 times, but I'm doubtful about that, so I've been using new nuts every wash practically.

Seems different brands say different things. The ones I had from Lakeland said use once, but the ones I had from Whole Foods say use 2-3 times if used on 30-40 degree celsius washes. I still only use once. I usually wash 40-60 degrees. The ones from Whole Foods were cheaper but they are all sticky which I don't like so I will go back to the ones I had before.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I have been using soap nuts for a year. they're great. i never have a problem with the little canvas bag coming loose and have never had my light clothes stained in any way. if that is a worry, you can always put the canvas bag in one of those mini laundry bags. i recall soap nut is also the "surfactant" in the devita cleanser.

also, remember to set your wash cycle on gentle asi have read that most people's laundry doesn't require regular/medium setting.

i feel greener and i am saving lots of money by using soap nuts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:26 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
I have been using soap nuts for a year. they're great. i never have a problem with the little canvas bag coming loose and have never had my light clothes stained in any way. if that is a worry, you can always put the canvas bag in one of those mini laundry bags. i recall soap nut is also the "surfactant" in the devita cleanser.

also, remember to set your wash cycle on gentle asi have read that most people's laundry doesn't require regular/medium setting.

i feel greener and i am saving lots of money by using soap nuts.

Where are you buying your soapnuts? I bought mine from Maggies. They are extremely sticky. I just read you don't need fabric softeners with it, so I don't need the softener sheets. But I do like a slight scent, so maybe I'll toss 1 in anyway.

I've been reading some more about soapnuts. Apparently, you can make it into a solution for a shampoo and it's also good for treating eczema and psoriasis! http://www.articlesbase.com/medicine-articles/soap-nuts-to-treat-eczema--460070.html
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

My soapnuts were fine at first but after the hot summer weather, they became sticky too. i just checked them now, and they are not sticky because of the colder weather. I know Garden of Wisdom sells Maggieland soap nuts, i have not tried them. i do remember i did a price search and vikinggirls had a really nice special. it looks like they are out of soap nuts now, but will be restocking:

http://www.vikinggirlsworkshop.com/soaptree/index.html

sure soap nuts can be used as a face/body cleanser. a friend of mine gave a pack of powdered soap nuts shampoo. i have not tried it yet but will soon. i am simply too lazy to formulate these days though, but plan on trying the devita cleanser one of these days since i do like the ss.

kris

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |