Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
A full resource on items to avoid in cosmetics?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I am getting dizzy reading all the ingredients in the products I use, which I thought were safer than the average product...

I'm also getting confused about what is and isn't proven as harmful. Even so called "natural brands" contain things like BHT, parabens, talc, perfum (Dr. Hauschka Eyeshadow) and other substances that I'm trying to avoid.

Does anyone know of a website or thread that includes all these items, as well as recommendations on what to use??

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
The most reliable is cosmeticscop website which lists medical journal and other references for most of the ingredients.

The site will also list pros and cons of a ton of skin care lines in the Beautypedia but you have to be a member which will cost a bit of money annually. Its the best and most comprehensive information anywhere on the internet. Well worth the bit of money if you purchase a lot of skin care and cosmetics.
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks SusieQ. I've come across this site before, but was confused by it.

It seems to sell Paula's Choice products, which in themselves contain parabens.

This leads me to wonder if these substances can be trusted as opposed to what some claim, or if PC is not a trusted source itself?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Without some form of preservative what is the alternative? I know there are natural preservatives, but how long would your product last? I have read those studies on parabens but they are inclusive since they're in some foods too! The amount is so minimal in skin care that its just not an issue with me.

I think Paula chooses to use parabens in her own skin care because theres nothing comparable out there.

I forgot to add Morphy, that this is the other website I go to for decent ingredient information. http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/HBI/9
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I consider the dictionary at Paula's Choice a reliable source.

You are right though, we do need to know our ingredients because a product can say natural when in fact its not 100%. If you are looking for all natural products it can be frustrating. Some brands I can think of off the top of my head that (I think) are all natural are Boscia, fancl, DHC, garden of wisdom.

IMO there is alot of 'the sky is falling' with parabens. Its difficult to find independent research that states parabens are indeed bad. Personally I don't seek to avoid them.
gellys
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
Often times you will see all the 'bens listed last on the ingredient lists usually 5-6 may be listed depending on which raw material is used to preserve the product. Parabens shouldn't be too alarming b/c they are really low, percentage wise in a product's formula definitely a lot less than 1%.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:41 am      Reply with quote
This was a discussion earlier this summer too. Here's that thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=29971

It does get so hard to keep track of everything!

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
Morphy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the resources and links that people have sent me! Smile

I also wanted to share a link I came across through my search on Google. It is a very comprehensive database of material used in the cosmetics and skincare industry, as well as a listing of products and their ingredients with a rating. Created by an organization that calls itself "The Environmental Working Group," the information is supposed to be based on medical research, but judge for yourself.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

They also have a section called "What not to buy" with warnings on specific products:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/whatnottobuy/

p.s. if you take this database seriously, you'll probably never use cosmetics again! It might, however, be an eye-opener.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I always look up the ingredients on CosmeticsDatabase after I knew about this website, and that did prevent me from purchasing certain products and make me re-consider many products. But gradually, as long as the not-so-healthy ingredients are towards the bottom on the ingredient list, I wouldn't care too much. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to buy any skin care any more. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |