Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Obagi question?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sid99
5% products discount

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi I have been using obagi clear with retin-a 0.25% for over a week now for acne brown marks (and a few red marks). I have only been spot treating the marks with the clear after applying retin-a in the evening. I have also been using the clear in the morning alone, once again spot treating the pigmentation areas. However I apply the retin-a all over my face. In the first few days I peeled quite majorily but after my pigmentation seemed about 30% lighter.

However a few more days and little to no peeling but I think its because the new skin will take longer to peel. I have noticed the areas of pigmentation especially have sort of turned red from brown. The redness is still there as apparent. I am a little worried.

Also my face is extremely dry, like very dry but its also very smooth, and doesnt seem to hurt or sting as such.

My questions are:

1. Is the brown to red transformation normal and expected?

2. Will it be worth me investing in the obagi Action?

3. Do you think I should be applying the clear all over my face with the Retin-a or is spot treating the way I am okay?

4. Will the red marks also go away with the combination of lightening and peeling or will the process just get rid of the brown pigmentation and have no effect on the redness and red marks?

5. Is the dryness normal and should I just continue with the retin-a? Will my skin still peel (I see peeling to be a good thing as long is doesnt hurt)?
Thanks in advance!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:11 am      Reply with quote
My 2 cents worth, being a nu derm user and lover! You need ALL the products. You are not "doing Obagi" if you are using 1-2 of the nu derm products. You won't get the best results you can if you aren't using all the products.

The red is a normal side effect and can continue the whole 18 weeks or however long you are on Obagi.

Yes, you should be applying Clear (and the rest of the nu derm products) all over your face for best results.

You will be dry. It is part of the process. I would suggest you go to Obagi.com and read all about the nu derm, the products, what to expect, etc. Another good site is skincare-md.com. They will tell you a great deal about Obagi, the cycles your skin goes through, what to expect, etc.

ETA: If you don't have any more peeling, consider going up to the next strength for Retin A.
sid99
5% products discount

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I do see where your coming from. If you can just help me out a little. First of all I am a person of colour so I am naturally a bit more worried to go extreme. Secondly my pigmentation is very minimial on either side of my cheeks only. Secondly I have no pimples at all as of yet due to accutane and (TOUCH WOOD) it has remained that way.

Basically I wanted to know why the cleanser and the toner would be required for me? My skin is already dry and if anyting can it not be replaced by any other toner and cleanser? Secondly my skin already seems very red, I am a little scared of adding the blender in as well. I can jusitfy purchasing the action and/or tolereen for redness etc. Lastly I am not sure about the exfoderm but already feel the retin-a penetrates deep (cant use every day at the moment). Lastly I have sunscreen by shesiedo SPF55 is this good enough?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Ms. Riley is right. You should use all the product lines to get the best result for your skin eventhough you are a skin of colour. But do not use too much, just a small pea-size treatment for all the face, follow the routine as per doctor's instruction. Of course, at first, you will get redness, because your skin is not used to it. Also you are "spot-treating" your skin and using Retin-A all over, not good if I may add... Also, takes time to stimulate the skin cells, but once it is stimulated, you will see remarkable results, just have patience to use it....

sid99 wrote:
I do see where your coming from. If you can just help me out a little. First of all I am a person of colour so I am naturally a bit more worried to go extreme. Secondly my pigmentation is very minimial on either side of my cheeks only. Secondly I have no pimples at all as of yet due to accutane and (TOUCH WOOD) it has remained that way.

Basically I wanted to know why the cleanser and the toner would be required for me? My skin is already dry and if anyting can it not be replaced by any other toner and cleanser? Secondly my skin already seems very red, I am a little scared of adding the blender in as well. I can jusitfy purchasing the action and/or tolereen for redness etc. Lastly I am not sure about the exfoderm but already feel the retin-a penetrates deep (cant use every day at the moment). Lastly I have sunscreen by shesiedo SPF55 is this good enough?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
sid99 wrote:

Obagi does have a dry skin cleanser and toner. My thought is that all of the products work together, each building on one another to give you the very best results with the Nu Derm. I think it is especially important for the 1st skin cycle (6-8 weeks) to use all of the products. The cleanser will last you forever. The toner, in my opinion, can be replaced after the initial 6-8 weeks by using witch hazel. The sunscreen you are using is good and if you aren't having issues with it and like it, I would continue with that.

You do get red, peely, flaky, but it is part of the process. (Only use the action/tolereen when you absolutely have to. I have never used either of those products, but they are only meant to be used minimally).

Of course this is all your choice, you can continue with what you are doing and if in a few months you don't get your desired results, then I would strongly encourage you to consider the whole Nu Derm system. Good luck! Very Happy
sid99
5% products discount

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
thanks guys for your help! I have so far ordered the tolereen just incase I require it (but of course as you said only if really required). I am going to do as rileygirl suggested and use the clear with retin-a for a few weeks and if see little to no results then I will take the plunge and by the blender, toner and cleanser as well and possibly the sunfader too! I hope thsi goes well for me I used to have immacualte skin 1 year ago (im 21) and because of one breakout it left me with some marks which have made my life really spiral downwards. I have started college again and cant bear being unconfident like this! Ill keep reporting back! Thanks again.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, Sid. Hope you get the results you are looking for! Very Happy
sid99
5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks rileygirl, if you can just help me out one more time. I've decided to take a deeper plunge and have ordered the obagi blender and exfoderm from EDS so I am just waiting for it to arrive. So my new regimen will stand at this (subject to change).

AM:[/b]

1. Cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleanser.

2. Apply clear and wait for absorption.

3. Then apply exfoderm and wait for absorption.

4. Apply Sheisdo SPF50 A+++ sun lotion.

PM:[b]

1. Cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleanser. Wait 20 mins (for Retin-A).

2. Apply clear (mainly on darker spots in PM) and wait for absorption.

3. Apply Retin-A (0.25% highest in UK) then apply Blender straighaway.

I will back off the exfoderm/Retin-A if my skin peeling too much or too red and irritated and use the tolereen only in such circumstances.

So just quick advice from you if this regimen will be better or anything you suggest I change?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:23 am      Reply with quote
sid99 wrote:
Thanks rileygirl, if you can just help me out one more time. I've decided to take a deeper plunge and have ordered the obagi blender and exfoderm from EDS so I am just waiting for it to arrive. So my new regimen will stand at this (subject to change).

AM:[/b]

1. Cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleanser.

2. Apply clear and wait for absorption.

3. Then apply exfoderm and wait for absorption.

4. Apply Sheisdo SPF50 A+++ sun lotion.

PM:[b]

1. Cleanse with cetaphil gentle cleanser. Wait 20 mins (for Retin-A).

2. Apply clear (mainly on darker spots in PM) and wait for absorption.

3. Apply Retin-A (0.25% highest in UK) then apply Blender straighaway.

I will back off the exfoderm/Retin-A if my skin peeling too much or too red and irritated and use the tolereen only in such circumstances.

So just quick advice from you if this regimen will be better or anything you suggest I change?

Hi, Sid! Ok, everything looks good except you take your Retin A and you take the blender and you mixed them together first before you apply them. You want to make sure to rub all the products in really well. Once you have rubbed them in your skin well, you can go right on to your next step, no need to wait. Looks good. Good luck and keep us posted!
sid99
5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I sure will do!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |