Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Beach vacation advise
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Amira
5% products discount

Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all, I have a few questions regarding how to protect my skin from the powerful sun rays at the beach. First I'll start with my current routine, so you know where I'm coming from:

AM
Wash face with mild cleanser (Skin Appetit Detoxifying cleanser)
Apply SC vitamin C Serum 20 or Zia Ultimate C Serum
Apply Devita SS

Mid-day
Top off with PTR Instant Mineral SPF 30

PM
Wash face with Cetaphil for oily skin
Every other day use retinoid (Renova .025 for cheeks, neck and under eyes, Retin-A for t-zone)
Every other day use SC Retinol .5
One day off a week leave face with nothing on

For eyes, I sometimes use RoC retinol cream, sometimes use Renova, sometimes I use Devita Undereye Repair Serum.I also use MAC prep+prime SPF 50 when I know I'm going to be doing something outdoors. I use jojoba oil for eye make-up remover and for the MAC sunscreen when I use it. I don't wear make-up during the day, so don't need to remove it. If I go out on the weekend and wear make-up, I remove it with Pond's cleaning wipes.

I am not one to lay out in the sun and have never been to a tanning salon. I do have sun damage in the form of sunspots and freckles from my childhood (grew up in the Caribbean and my mother still doesn't know what sunscreen is). But now, and for the past 10 years or so, I avoid the sun like it's my mortal enemy and wear sunscreen religiously. I'm one of those freaks that walks in zigzag motion down the sidewalk chasing the shade and contorts if in a car and the sun is seeping in. I’m 29 on the verge of 29+1, have super-oily olive skin that’s sometimes dehydrated. I don’t have many fine lines other than below my eyes but I do have a lot of sunspots. Just started retinoids three months ago for anti-aging purposes and to prevent nasolabial folds. Still going through the peelies unfortunately, but no irritation other than my chin a bit.

Now, to my questions. I’m going on a 10-day beach vacation. I won’t be baking out in the sun every day, but chances are I will for at least 2-4 days (or a couple of hours for 2-4 days of the vacation). My plan is to not use retinoids at night while on vacation, wear big shades, sit under an umbrella (for the most part, hopefully) wear physical sunscreen with really high SPF all over and re-apply consistently, take Heliocare supplements, and possibly wear a hat though I really hate wearing hats. Does this plan sound reasonable or am I kidding myself? Should I stop using retinoids –before- my trip? And if so, how long before my trip? And will I have to re-condition my skin to retinoids after, say, a 2-3 week hiatus? Is my skin’s barrier already weakened to the point that stopping retinoids won’t make a difference so I should just keep using them even during the trip? I ask because I’m still at that “it’s worse before it gets better stage” with the peelies, mild irritation, and crepey eyes.

I’m so sorry for the long post and overwhelming questions but I’m a little nervous about it, however I don’t want to ruin the trip for my boyfriend by being a paranoid sun-avoiding freak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm not qualified to answer most of your questions, but anyway my advice: I think it's a good idea to stop the retinoids definitely during the vacation, and before too. I don't know how much before. Although I love Devita, I think you should get another sunscreen that's stronger. Keys Solar is stronger- it has 18.5% zinc oxide as opposed to Devita's 14%. Make sure reapply it all the time... Of course physical sunscreen doesn't have to be reapplied, but it can still be sweated off and wiped off and of course if there's water involved you have to reapply.

For the body, I wouldn't use the Keys just because you'd go through it so quickly. For the body, I think Mexitan is a good choice. You get a 8 oz bottle of mexitan spf 30 for 16$. I actually have used Mexitan, even on my face, before finding better alternatives (Devita). My complaint against Mexitan is that it's not the most elegant sunscreen (there's some flaking and whiteness) but for the body it should be fine, and then you won't worry about using a lot of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Your plan sounds good, as does Nimue's advice for the sunscreen adjustments. My advice for the beach itself is to definitely get a hat---- you can find nice ones that tie on so they won't blow off into the ocean. I'm not a hat person either, but I wore one on our last beach trip and I loved the peace of mind I got from it. Get a lip balm with some serious SPF too. If I plan to be actually swimming in the ocean and not just wading around, I will always wear a black t-shirt over my swimsuit for extra protection, so that's something to think about. You can also find long-sleeve rashguards, etc, to give yourself some more coverage. For the days that you plan to just be walking around or not getting in the water right away, I would definitely recommend either a hat or a sun parasol (I use both).

Most importantly, try not to be worried or nervous.^-^ I think a lot of us sympathize with you--- the last time some friends invited my husband and I on a beach trip I about had a panic attack trying to figure out how to protect myself, LOL! Just take all the precautions you can and then try to enjoy yourself.

5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much both of you for the advice and recommendations!

Yes, I agree about the Devita SS. Though I love it for everyday use, I wouldn't trust it for the beach. I don't even use it if I'm going to an outdoor activity. I use the MAC prep+prime spf 50 for that but if I can find something higher than the 16% zinc it has, that would be better for my trip. I'm definitely getting Mexitan for the body now, thanks for that. I thought Fanelle COTZ spf 58 for the face would be good, with a dab of the PTR spf powder over because I have a feeling the Fanelle is going to be greasy and leave a cast but it seems to be the most hard-core option in the physical sunscreen arena. Then again, I couldn't find the % of zinc or Tz this sunblock has so Keys might be a better option, and cosmetically nicer? At this point I already know I might have to give up looking pretty and matte if I don't want consequences but it would be nice to find something that won't make me look like a ghost. Razz

I also noticed on the website I bought the Heliocare pills that Heliocare now has an SPF 50 powder you can wear. it's pressed, comes in an orange compact and comes in two shades. I was wondering if anyone has used this. I thought about getting it but then I figured the colors might be way off and since it's a compact, it might be like the Shiseido pressed powder sunscreen which was a nightmare on me. I wonder if anyone at EDS has tried the Heliocare powder?

The challenge now is to find a wide-brim hat I like enough to wear...

Thanks again ladies!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
Just so you're aware, the MAC spf 50 product isn't purely physical. It does have 16% zinc oxide (which is awesome) but it also has 7.5% octinoxate... Even without the octinoxate, it seems like a really expensive product. Then again, I am really generous with sunscreen, so I also go through it really quickly.

I can't find the active ingredients % for the Fallene product, which worries me. I wouldn't use it just because of that. There are EDS members who really liked the Keys sunscreen. Fawnie and KBLang both really like it, so I think that's the way to go.

5% products discount

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Wondering... where in the world are you going. The closer you are to the equater the more intense the sun can be. And you don't have to be laying out actually sunbathing to burn....

Whenever I go to Hawaii, I do the following... ZERO retinols... or anything peel like for that matter. (as I will be in the sun more than normal.) I'd use a face wash, and sunscreen in the morning... face wash and moisture at night.

Sunscreen... Right now I use a product called day cover from NCN... I'd let it be a bit thicker than normal.. not particular caring about a light "white" facial tint.

For the body... I usually use the strongest sunscreen I can find. My latest Favorites are Kinesys, and Blue Lizard...

Then after a shower I usually use Maui island Secret after sun Tan sealer... (cause I LOVE the way it smells and it feels nice.)

Or I might consider some Protect and Restore Body Lotion from Skin Biology.

We tend to be in the water a lot snorklin.. so I always wear a t-shirt (after once having burning my back pretty badly)... and a baseball cap to protect my head.

You can also purchase t-shirts with spf in them... or you can even by a product by RIT dye and wash your chosen clothing in it to add an SPF to your clothing...

Have fun... I'm jealous!

5% products discount

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
hehe, thanks fitmama and thanks everyone for their great input.

I'm going to Southeast Asia (Thailand, Indonesia). I'm starting to ween out of retinoids for the time being so as to not stop cold turkey but I'll stop using altogether at least a week prior to the trip.

Nimue- Yes, the MAC has a little bit of chemical sunscreen, which I don't like at all but I don't use this one as often. Since it's a primer, it has the nicest finish of any sunblock I've ever tried and controls shinies. But as I mentioned, I use it only for specific outdoor events (parties, weddings, press, etc). I'm definitely taking your suggestion and getting Keys. Thanks!
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Amira,

Sounds like you're off for a lovely vacation, lucky girl!

Everyone's given you great advice already - but just wanted to add that sunscreen is really, really important. If you're doing any sort of water sports - you'll need a broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) one - that is water resistant.

Reapply much more frequently than the instructions tell you to. (As the effectiveness does wear off with both chemical and physical sunscreens - as they wear off - or break down).

Also, it's a good idea to buy fresh sunscreen - preferably one with an expiry date on the tube/bottle - as some sunscreens lose their effectiveness with time. (Nothing worse than applying sunscreen religiously - and finding out that it wasn't any good!)

Don't forget too that the sun's rays do bounce off of sand and water - so even if you're not in direct sunlight - you still can get exposure. And, you can get badly burnt on overcast days - because the UVA/UVB rays go right through cloud cover.

Maybe get a big, sexy dramatic hat with a wide brim. Wear those with big, dark sunglasses and everyone will think you're a movie star! Smile

Have fun on your vacation, I'm so jealous!
FitFifty
5% products discount

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I'd start weaning off the retinoids now. The effect builds up, and you're already much more susceptible to facial sunburn. So ABSOLUTELY get the hat, with the widest brim you can find so your ears and neck are also protected. They're a pain to pack or carry on airplanes, but I'd be shocked if you can't find a straw hat there, and probably cheaply enough that you won't mind giving it away before you leave. I've never failed to find 'em for sale anywhere tropical - first thing I buy after arrival.
Stay in the shade as much as possible, make sure your sunscreen has a high SPF and helioplex, and re-apply it frequently. You can't be too careful. I'd also bring some aloe vera gel just in case, and some "fake tan" cream or spray. Putting on a little every day won't innoculate you against burning as a bit of real tan would, but it'll help fight the temptation to get "just a little" color the old-fashioned way. And at least you'll come back looking like you were on vacation.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |