Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Any tips on cleaning a loofah?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I've got a loofah scrub that I hardly use, but when I did I left it in the shower. Needless to say - it stanks! Do I have to throw it out? Or is there a safe way to clean it besides soap and water?
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I soak all my sponges and loofahs periodically in approximately 1/2 cup of baking soda and 2 gallons of HOT water. Baking soda is a great cleaning product and deodorizer. Hope this helps.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Gingerly
5% products discount

Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I'd toss a stinky loofa JMHO! Shock
moshimoshi
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:05 am      Reply with quote
i would toss the stinky one, too... u don't want those evil bacterias hiding in there lurking to cause any troubles!!!

i usually just rinse it well after shower and take it outside to let dry...

yes, let the almighty sun kills all those bastard germies Bad Grin waaaaahaaaahaaaahaaaa....
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Wow! this was a helpful post! I throw mine away when they get stinky/mold. I never thought about cleaning them! I never realized B.Soda was so good for cleaning, then again it was recommended yearsssss back for my gums.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:44 am      Reply with quote
Baking soda is awesome. Now they sell a special baking soda to put in your wash. Yes, you can brush you teeth with it to remove stain. I have always cleaned and sweetened thermos with it. Many people put an open box in their refrig. to absorb odors.

So, if you can use it it your mouth you can sure clean and soak you sponges and loofahs in it. It really works! I would wash them first and then soak and let them DRY. No more odors. They tend to smell from not drying them out between uses. They kind of get moldy.

My mother always told me kitchen sponges were gross and held a lot of bacteria. The baking soda trick I learned from Mom.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
edenfield
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
a low percentage solution of bleach would work too.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie,

my dentist had me use Hydrogen peroxide with B. soda as my gums were receding! he says due to braces? I had skin grafting done on a tooth and now I have another tooth-gum receding!

I don't know Winnie, it might be quicker, easy to toss them! LOL

Do you clean sponges in B.Soda too?(helllo you already wrote you did!) Now I also heard they contain alot of bacteria and toss them and replace with a new one.

The things you learn on boards! Very Happy

I got a tip! for those who don't know of it - Shower spray is the BEST invention!! I hate to scrub showers and hardly ever need to with Shower sprays!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips! I wondered if bleach was ok or it would breakdown the loofah. I didn't even think of baking soda great idea! I use baking soda to clean out those stinky cooler bags or lunch bags when baby's milk has spilled in it. I also use it in my fridge and freezer. Baking soda like vinegar is the natural way to clean and disinfect without harsh chemicals.

It's funny, I hardly use sponges - instead - paper towels to wipe down and clean because of the bacteria issues...And now here I am being cheap and not throwing out a loofah that I put on my skin!!!
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:20 am      Reply with quote
I toss my loofah in the laundry with some towels and it comes out just fine. It is the kind with a fabric pad on the back and a strap to keep it on your hand. I wrap my hair up in a synthetic chamois made of PVA sponge after a shower and I keep it wet in a plastic container in the shower. I frequently toss it in the laundry too.
I use sponges in the kitchen and always squirt a bit of bleach on them to kill bacteria. I did a fun course at the Disney Institute and they suggested keeping a spray bottle with bleach and water in the kitchen and always using bleach on anything that has been touched by raw chicken, meat etc.
Caspers Mum

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Throw it away! It's nothing but germy now! They're cheap to replace.
JudyMarshall
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
Sassyred wrote:
Winnie,

my dentist had me use Hydrogen peroxide with B. soda as my gums were receding! he says due to braces? I had skin grafting done on a tooth and now I have another tooth-gum receding!

It's not widely known, but receding gums can also be one of the first signs of osteoporosis. Shock It evidentally shows up in the gums/teeth/jaws before it shows other places.

One of the reasons your dentist suggested baking soda is that baking soda is an alkalizer. It raises pH.

If your pH is low, your body begins to draw calcium (another alkalizer) from your bones to bring your blood pH back up where it has to be for life to be sustained. That's how osteoporosis starts... loss of calcium from the bones.

While using the baking soda on the gums would alkalize that specific area, it wouldn't get to the root cause, which is low pH.

One way to maintain proper pH is to eat 80% of your diet in all raw fruits and vegetables. Or, at the very least, you can improve the situation by eating more raw fruits and veggies, organic if possible.

Another approach is to get more alkalizing minerals in your body.

I used to have the receding gum problem years ago and it scared me so badly because my Dad had to have that gum-scraping surgery and I could just see myself going through the same thing. Anxious However, I improved my diet and supplementation and turned it around.

When it first showed up and they were testing my gums at the dentist, they showed a "9" on some of the gum areas. What they like to see is a "1" or "2" at the most. You know, that's when they stick that little prong down between your gums and teeth in a dental exam?

Anyway, now all mine are 1's, 2's and occasional 3's. So, it can be turned around, but you do have to change what you're doing. Shame on you

JUDY

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use water and bleach to clean mine...then I rinse well and soak it in plain old water to get rid of all the bleach
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Shock Your mouth or your loofahs?

Only kidding. Was reading your post and after reading the post before yours got a tad concerned. Laughing Laughing

J&J
5% products discount

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:18 am      Reply with quote
i uses to soak it in hot water with a few drop of Dettol for 15 min every week.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
bleach in my mouth? yummy....I don't think i'd still be typing if that were true! rofl
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Loofas are self cleaning. I would just replace it. Smile
Danielle Amber
5% products discount

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hydrogen peroxide is the way! Pour it all over the sponge then watch it foam up killing all the germs...it even gets warm from all the action! I do this on my kitchen sponges too. I used to just throw them away just as soon as they begin to smell a bit. But since my nose is very keen, they sure weren't around long...but with peroxide baths every couple/few days they will last and last...

Bleach! NO FREAKIN" WAY!!! Unless your into smearing a toxic substance (even in small amounts) into your organs...the Skin is a permeable organ ...

Letting them dry out completely too between uses will cut down on the bacteria/mold growth...

Very Happy

Danielle
Kathleen Bruegger
5% products discount

Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
What I've done with my loofah glove and wash poofs is to soak them in hot water and bleach. Bleach kills anything and gets rid of those icky grey spots lying within. I'd try it ,,it works..saves money.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Sassyred wrote:
Winnie,

I have the same problem -- a receding gum. How was the skin grafting procedure? Did the baking soda help you at all? I am very nervous about going to the dentist soon.... Sad
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot to add... I always make sure my loofahs are kept VERY dry to prevent mold. If I think a moldy one isnt so bad I will soak it in diluted hydrogen peroxide. To save money I cut my loofahs into smaller pieces before using them.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |