Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Secrets of beautiful hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
I've just started thinking...I wonder if mega-tek or ovation therapy could be used like lumigan for eyelash or brow growth. What do you think???

I asked about that but I would be scared if it got into your eyes
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:00 am      Reply with quote
azumma wrote:
Fox wrote:
kar126 wrote:
wash your hair with the coldest water you can tolerate

benefits: conditioner sinks in better, color stays in longer

It keeps the cuticles flat too, so your hair will shine more and tangle less Smile

Really?? washing my hair with cold water makes my hair shiner???? Cool!! I should try

Yes, so long as you don't blast it with heat afterwards (hairdryers, hair straighteners etc)

This is so gross but it illustrates my point:

When your hair is damaged (as in this picture) the cuticles pull away from the main body of hair, leaving it unprotected, prone to both moisture loss and snagging on other hairs (that also probably have damaged cuticles). This can lead to dry hair, split ends and yadda yadda yadda.

This picture shows a healthy strand of hair. The cuticles are flat and cover the strand, protecting it and locking in moisture. The cuticles aren't pulling away from the hair at all.

Because light reflects off flat cuticles better, your hair will be shinier, stronger and also softer. It will tangle less and move more fluidly.

Heat damages hair, as do harsh shampoos, brushing too much or with a cheap brush, dry windy weather and generally not being careful with it.

Cold water will help to flatten cuticles but ditching heat products, getting a quality hair brush, using vinegar or herbal rinses and using something like the molasses mask will all help to keep your hair strong and healthy.

The BEST thing to do though is just to enjoy it. If looking after your hair (or skin or whatever) becomes a chore, it's not worth it. There are more important things in life, and if doing these things doesn't make your life more enjoyable then what's the point? Women especially are bullied and tricked into worrying over every flaw: taking pleasure in celebrating your body and looking after it is priority number one. Everything else fits into place after that Smile

In my (radical feminist) opinion anyway Laughing
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Will the molasses mask make my oily scalp oiler? I LOVE molasses, but have only eaten it (so far). I'm years past menopause and my hairline is receding. Shock Embarassed . I used to color my hair too frequently. Now, my hair is too dark to be flattering, but I do not want to hurt my hair. I'm just hate my hairline. Never thought it would happen to me. Crying or Very sad

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
You can add apple cider vinegar to Suave conditioner? or is it best to just add it to water and rinse your hair after you condition? Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Fox. The more we obsess over something, the more stuff we apply to it, and the worse it gets. Best to keep it simple.

I think the best you can do for your hair is eat well (make sure you get all required minerals and vitamins, otherwise hair will show your deficiencies, just as skin will). Don't shampoo too often (every 3-4 days, more or less, depending on hair type), and - rinse well Smile
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have very ugly dry hair, and each hair will split when it was reaching my ear's length. I thought I will never have beautiful hair in my life.

Then, I took a course on hair cutting, the teacher commented my hair was too flattened and wondered if I comb my hair probably. I told her, I only comb once a day in the morning, and she said, I need to buy a bigger hair brush, and brush from scalp to end until I can feel my scalp is hot. I follow what she said, in about a month time, I noticed the difference.... and now, I have a long straight shinning hair, and always have people ask for my secret little tip.
cora-lu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 am      Reply with quote
critic wrote:
I used to have very ugly dry hair, and each hair will split when it was reaching my ear's length. I thought I will never have beautiful hair in my life.

Then, I took a course on hair cutting, the teacher commented my hair was too flattened and wondered if I comb my hair probably. I told her, I only comb once a day in the morning, and she said, I need to buy a bigger hair brush, and brush from scalp to end until I can feel my scalp is hot. I follow what she said, in about a month time, I noticed the difference.... and now, I have a long straight shinning hair, and always have people ask for my secret little tip.

Interesting experience. Great that it has worked for you. I only comb my hair once in the morning (and rather briefly Razz ), but i do use a semi-permanent dye every few months or so, i think this helps make the hair shaft shiny and thicker, as it works by coating it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
critic wrote:

What kind of hair brush?
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Well my Mega-Tek arrived the other day, and I got into it straight away. Yay! Or should I say neigh!

I have a couple of questions allyssa.
Firstly I'm using it every second day rubbing it into my scalp. Does it really matter if it doesn't get washed out the next morning? The reason this is a problem for me is that I only wash my hair once a week normally and I straighten it with my hot iron. Washing my hair more often I don't have a problem with, but I don't want to use the iron on it more often. But I don't like my hair curley.
Second question. Once my hair has thickened up do I go to using it say once a week or something for maintenance?

Thanks so much for putting me onto the Mega-Tek allyssa and all your help with it. Smile
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:38 pm      Reply with quote
I am currently using a hair brush by Vidal Sasson. A very big one, with a little plastic (I guess it's plastic) at the tip. It is very comfortable when you brush it.

This is what I heard, if you are 40, you brush 4o times from scalp to the end of your hair, then the hair back to scalp for 40 times.

Trust me, it works wonderful! I never never expect strangers in the street will comment on my hair.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
I also invest on an expensive - Janeke brush, Made in Italy. It is excellent for massaging the scalp, but as it is expensive and unable to wash with water. I seldom use it.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:43 pm      Reply with quote
Ooops, I fogot, if you are in the US, take a look at Paul Mitchell 427 Paddle Brush.
gonatural
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:49 am      Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what honey or molasses does for your hair. Sounds to me like it would leave a sticky mess? I've been using an apple cider vinegar and water rinse on my hair and I must say it does leave it quite soft.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Will the molasses mask make my oily scalp oiler? I LOVE molasses, but have only eaten it (so far). I'm years past menopause and my hairline is receding. Shock Embarassed . I used to color my hair too frequently. Now, my hair is too dark to be flattering, but I do not want to hurt my hair. I'm just hate my hairline. Never thought it would happen to me. Crying or Very sad

My scalp gets oily too but the week after I use the molasses mask my hair looks good for the entire week.

I don't know if it will work for you the way it has me, but it's worth trying to find out Smile

Have you tried anything before on your hair? I'm sorry it's giving you so much grief Confused
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
gonatural wrote:
Can someone tell me what honey or molasses does for your hair. Sounds to me like it would leave a sticky mess? I've been using an apple cider vinegar and water rinse on my hair and I must say it does leave it quite soft.

Before I used the molasses I thought it would be sticky too. I was surprised how easily it washed out - really surprised actually. There was no stickyness and the water took it easily away. I simply stood under the shower until the water ran clear.

You trusted me on the apple cider vinegar and you can trust me on this Smile

Molasses will, like the apple cider vinegar, make your hair very soft and very shiny. Honey can over time damage your hair, so I don't use it as freely as you would molasses: honey contains bleaching agents that can dry out and harm hair but there's no risk with this with molasses.

I've heard that maple syrup works well as a safe honey replacement. I haven't tried it yet but if anyone does before I do, I'd like to hear Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
gonatural wrote:
You can add apple cider vinegar to Suave conditioner? or is it best to just add it to water and rinse your hair after you condition? Embarassed

I think you could add it to any conditioner but I like to rinse my hair with it after. This is because if you mix it in with conditioner you'll only be getting the vinegar on the length of your hair and not on your scalp. One of the reasons an ACV rinse works so well is that you can pour it right where you need it and let your locks benefit from root to tip.

Another reason why I like to use it in a final rinse is because, if you mix it with conditioner, you'll have to wash it away again. I like to keep the apple cider vinegar in my hair as it dries. This method has worked well for me, but other people might find it too fussy at first. You get into a routine with it though and now I don't feel right washing my hair without vinegar.

Vinegar is always a feature on my bathroom shelf now Laughing
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
cora-lu wrote:
I agree with Fox. The more we obsess over something, the more stuff we apply to it, and the worse it gets. Best to keep it simple.

I think the best you can do for your hair is eat well (make sure you get all required minerals and vitamins, otherwise hair will show your deficiencies, just as skin will). Don't shampoo too often (every 3-4 days, more or less, depending on hair type), and - rinse well Smile

Thanks for the acknowledgement Cora! Smile I agree with your tip too. It goes without saying that vinegar and molasses have a lot of minerals and nutrients in them, which is one of the reasons they work so well.

Anyway, I'm going to go before I totally take over this thread Wink
platinumrose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
I am a career person with a busy life and unfortunately don't have time for recipes for to eat let alone my hair. Laughing I swear by Wen Fig sold on QVC for my thick coarse highlighted hair.
critic
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
I used not to invest on shampoo, but think about it that I am willing to invest on my skin, why not do something for my hair? so I am now using a better brand shampoo and conditioner.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:40 am      Reply with quote
I was fortunate to receive a genetic gift for thick and lustrous hair...something I took for granted for years.

Due to several issues in my life, my hair changed this past year and I was so sad to see it become brittle and full of frizzies.

Three months ago I started twice weekly deep conditioning treatments with plain old coconut oil.

I have my old hair back and it looks new again!

BF

Another tip: ACV is great for soaking the feet - you will never need expensive foot creams or scrubs again!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:55 am      Reply with quote
I've just ordered some Moroccan Oil - will report back when I receive it.

http://www.moroccanoil.com/haircare.htm

Barefootgirl - how long do you leave the coconut oil on for?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:39 am      Reply with quote
If I am planning to shampoo first thing in the AM, I keep it on overnight (use a headband and shower cap and clips)

If I am showering at night or during the day - I keep it on for an hour or so.

Hope this helps. BF
allyssa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Well my Mega-Tek arrived the other day, and I got into it straight away. Yay! Or should I say neigh!

I have a couple of questions allyssa.
Firstly I'm using it every second day rubbing it into my scalp. Does it really matter if it doesn't get washed out the next morning? The reason this is a problem for me is that I only wash my hair once a week normally and I straighten it with my hot iron. Washing my hair more often I don't have a problem with, but I don't want to use the iron on it more often. But I don't like my hair curley.
Second question. Once my hair has thickened up do I go to using it say once a week or something for maintenance?

Thanks so much for putting me onto the Mega-Tek allyssa and all your help with it. Smile

Your welcome Smile No you do not need to wash it out daily. You can use it daily and just rinse it out after a few days or shampoo it out. It is up to you but it will weigh your hair down after several applications!
dagnolia
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
i've been doing something halfway between conditioner washing and ACV rinsing: basically it's a vinegar rinse with just a dollop of conditioner added. i can pour it all over my head w/o leaving any greasy-looking residue.

i'm using white vinegar mixed with water, a few drops of rose oil, and suave "ocean breeze" conditioner. this combination winds up smelling really fresh and not vinegar-y at all.

and as far as my hair goes? it's the happiest it's been in ages. this is amazing!
tuna
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I usually add 5-6 drops of Jurlique Lemon-Lime Hydrating Essence into water when I wash my hair, it's quite convenient and make my hair glossing.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |