Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Secrets of beautiful hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
Since my shampoo and conditioner bottles have run out and I fancy a change, I've been looking up shampoos and conditioners. I have to admit: I don't usually read the backs of my shampoo or conditioner bottles, but this time I've been doing some research.

There is a lot of information out there about the woes of SLS and silicones in shampoos and conditioners. Silicones (or "cones" for short) such as Amodimethicone, Dimethicone, Cyclopenthasiloxane, Dimethiconol are put into hair care products to lock moisture in. Unfortunetly they can also lock moisture out and leave your hair dry, brittle, splitting and tangled. (Silicone is not to be confused with silicon.)

Obviously not everyone reacts so badly to cones or SLS, but still. It got me thinking to when I ditched shampoo altogether and decided to make my own rinses...

Quote:
Just Say No to Shampoo

No ‘pooing is simply using something other than shampoo to wash and cleanse your hair. Why would you want to do this? Well, there are various reasons:

You will not expose your self to harmful chemicals that are found in most shampoos. So it is good for your health

You’ll save money on products. The simplest method uses baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

Many people have reported that their hair has become easier to manage. Who knows, your may too.

Do we really need shampoo?

No, not unless you like to tinker under your car and get oil in your hair when you do. Sweat and most dirt that we get in our hair can be rinsed a way. A very mild cleanser is all that we need to get our hair completely clean.

Many shampoos are made up of harsh detergent. Many of the ingredients are quite similar to those that go into dish soap.

Most shampoos also contain chemical like sodium lauryl sulfate, and sodium laureth sulfate which are skin and eye irritants.

The Alternative

If you want that clean feeling with out using shampoo all you need is baking soda, warm water and apple cider vinegar.

Mix:

1 tbs baking soda

1 cup warm water

Pour into a spray bottle and spray on hair. Work the mixture through your hair. Let it sit for about 60 seconds. Rinse out with cool water or this ACV rinse.

Mix:

2 tbs apple cider vinegar per cup of water

Pour over hair.

How it works

Baking soda is a natural gentle cleansing agent. You can use it for all sorts of cleaning purposes from brushing your teeth to cleaning your counters. ACV is a mild natural antiseptic. When used on hair it balances pH, helps to detangle, clarify and seal the cuticle.

The warm water opens the cuticle and allows the baking soda to penetrate the hair. The cool water closes the cuticle, softens your hair, cuts down the frizz and enhances curls.

Note:

A little bit of baking soda will go a long ways. If you need more liquid, just add more water. Using too much baking soda or leaving the mixture on your hair too long can make it frizzy or dry it out.

When I did this my hair was incredibly soft - softer than it's ever been until I discovered the molasses hair mask - and the colour rich and deep. I went back to shampoo after running out of baking soda.

For two days after my first shampoo my scalp was sore and itching.

The shampoo I used was labeled "natural" "organic" and "for sensitive skin." I'm convinced that the "break" from shampoos re-sensitized my scalp and couldn't work out whether or not this was a good or a bad thing. The shops had run out of baking soda so I was back on shampoo again.

I'm going to see how it goes for a while and "Just Say No!" Speak to the hand
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:55 am      Reply with quote
For hair as well..... there is the usual recommendations that brushing your hair not only loosens the dirt but also stimulates circulation and that you should aim to do 100 strokes a day.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Is baking soda the same as bicarb soda? I use bicarb for cleaning all the time.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
By the way. To those that are using Biotin. I got some tablets that are 300mg strength, and it says to take 1 tab per day. Does this sound right to you? Thanks.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
By the way. To those that are using Biotin. I got some tablets that are 300mg strength, and it says to take 1 tab per day. Does this sound right to you? Thanks.

Oops! Sorry I meant 300mcg.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:17 am      Reply with quote
WOW! I tried the ACV rinse for my hair (1 TBSP in 1/2 cup H2O) and it really made my hair shiney and more manageable.

I have very thick, course wavy hair and my well water is horrible, so I also had some dryness/straw like texture to it (highlighted and colored). The ACV rinse worked like a charm. My water has a lot of mineral and iron in it and even though we have a water softener, there is still enuf of the minerals left - I see it on the shower doors and walls. After shampooing and conditioning today, I applied the ACV and left it on for a little while. Right away I could tell a difference on a few highlighted areas that are always strawlike.

I will do this one regularly now. Thanks for the tip!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:03 am      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
WOW! I tried the ACV rinse for my hair (1 TBSP in 1/2 cup H2O) and it really made my hair shiney and more manageable.

I have very thick, course wavy hair and my well water is horrible, so I also had some dryness/straw like texture to it (highlighted and colored). The ACV rinse worked like a charm. My water has a lot of mineral and iron in it and even though we have a water softener, there is still enuf of the minerals left - I see it on the shower doors and walls. After shampooing and conditioning today, I applied the ACV and left it on for a little while. Right away I could tell a difference on a few highlighted areas that are always strawlike.

I will do this one regularly now. Thanks for the tip!

Awesome! Very Happy
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hello!
I tried the molasses in my hair and it was great. I mixed molasses, lime juice and coconut oil. Nice!
Thank you!!!
Two years ago, my hair started falling out in clumps! It was horrible! Crying or Very sad I thought I would be bald... I tried Jan Marini (to no avail) skinceuticals, my baby q on my head, and Dr. Perricone's hair growth... who knows what helped... I tried so many things (one bottle of each)-- but i have to report that I believe that several things were a huge factor: huge stress in my life ended about a year ago. Around that time, I stopped using shampoo. I used to use expensive shampoos in the hope that they would help. I switched to Suave conditioner, and maybe twice a week: shampoo.
I also was diagnosed with anemia, and took one teaspoon of molasses daily (for one bottle's worth).
My hair stopped falling out. I still don't use shampoo, use Suave conditioner mostly (suave shampoo once or twice weekly) and eat molasses or organic, unfiltered honey in my coffee everyday.
Question: I have just used nutrtint in my hair- great dye! But went too dark Sad
Any hints on how to speed the 'wash away' of this non chemical dye?
thanks!
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't heard of nutritint before so I can't say what would lessen the colour, although maybe certain types of henna might help. (I'm thinking of cassia and this picture when I say that, but it's a gamble: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/meredith/ )

I'm glad you liked the mask though Very Happy I love it. After I put it on my hair (twice now) my family kept asking me for about a week afterwards if they could play with my hair while we watched TV. They've never done that before but the mask just made my hair so soft and "touchable."

It must have been so upsetting to be loosing your hair. Molasses is so good for you, especially black strap molasses. I'm a fan too Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
More on lightening your hair with henna:

Quote:
Will using “blonde” henna change my brown hair to blonde?

Absolutely not. A “boxed” hair color will lighten your hair about 2 shades depending on the brand and strength. Those of you brunettes out there that have tried to go blonde with a boxed drugstore hair color are probably familiar with the brassy orange it will give you when the developer does not have the strength to lighten properly! In order to lighten hair’s natural color more than 2 shades or so, it must first be bleached, which cannot be done with pure plant products. You must use bleach and peroxide developer mix. If you have a chemical color that is extremely dark and want to remove it your hairdresser may recommend a color “stripper”. These are effective but very hard on the hair. There are several on the market (one such product is “effesol”) These must be used with extreme care on over processed hair and aren’t recommended at all on permed or chemically straightened hair. This is a strong product and should really be used by a professional to be done properly and with the least damage.

The henna used here is cassia obovata.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! By the way. I've been recommending cinnamon rinses. Cinnamon is also in the cassia family so you could try rinsing your hair with cinnamon infusion too Smile
mariah
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Fox!
Indeed, black strap molasses, organic!
I am big into natural healing- and had read it was good for anemia; makes sense it will be good for hair! These last few minutes I have been web browsing and found loads of links to using molasses for grey hair. Not my issue, but it MUST only further confirm how good molasses are for us!
As I write this, I have a plastic bag on my head with a mask of egg yolk and lime-- let's see what happens. Laughing
Believe it or not: I had already purchased a bottle of Hennah today! (thanks- will check out your link shortly)-Though I think it is too soon to try it on my VERY dark hair
Very Happy Embarassed
ushybaby7

Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
sahmisme wrote:
Fox wrote:
sahmisme wrote:
I'm going to try this, and I might try the honey and apple cider vinegar as well.

I don't seem to have convinced anyone yet to try the molasses Razz

Laughing I might try the molasses too! I must have missed that post, I'll go back through to see what you said. Wink

OOPS! heee, that's the first post. Okay I'm a ditz. Razz

That's okay Laughing

Hey, welcome to my party on page three by the way Very Happy

question:

doesn't the molasses smell and do you dilute the molasses?.....its reallly thick so just making sure Razz

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:24 am      Reply with quote
ushybaby7 wrote:
Fox wrote:
sahmisme wrote:
Fox wrote:
sahmisme wrote:
I'm going to try this, and I might try the honey and apple cider vinegar as well.

I don't seem to have convinced anyone yet to try the molasses Razz

Laughing I might try the molasses too! I must have missed that post, I'll go back through to see what you said. Wink

OOPS! heee, that's the first post. Okay I'm a ditz. Razz

That's okay Laughing

Hey, welcome to my party on page three by the way Very Happy

question:

doesn't the molasses smell and do you dilute the molasses?.....its reallly thick so just making sure Razz

You dilute it with oil and conditioner. The recipe is on the first page of the thread.

And yes, it does smell but the smell is gorgeous and a reason for trying it out - You'll smell delicious!
sahmisme
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I've discovered that I can't do the conditioner washing thing. My scalp is so oily, that within 2 days my head was disgusting. I have to wash with shampoo daily. Oh well!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 am      Reply with quote
wash your hair with the coldest water you can tolerate

benefits: conditioner sinks in better, color stays in longer
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
kar126 wrote:

It keeps the cuticles flat too, so your hair will shine more and tangle less Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone ever tried Morrocco Method shampoo or conditioners? I've been looking at the ingredients and beginning to wonder how easy it would be to make shampoo at home myself:

Ingredients:
Kelp, nori, kombu, fucus, sea silk & Irish moss;
Red, brown & white algae;
Klamath Lake blue-green algae;
Natural soapbark from Chile, green tea from Shanghai, cactus from Mexico, & yucca: 100% natural foaming botanicals;
Aloe vera, organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar;
92 trace minerals: natural preservatives;
Essential oils of frankincense and myrrh.

There are good reviews for the Morrocco Method shampoo and conditioners on the Absolutely Pure website, and until now I guess I've thought shampoo was always best when it's brought from a shop.

Does anyone make their own? (Besides baking soda and apple cider vinegar, that is.) Has anyone used the Morrocco Method products before?
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Is baking soda the same as bicarb soda? I use bicarb for cleaning all the time.

It is yes Smile
jennyvillanueva

Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 am      Reply with quote
kerastase is the secret to amazing hair. i am in love with this line of products it is sooo expensive but it is worth it . A little goes a long way. i have color treated long hair and it was looking crappy so i cut it in a chin length bob and started using kerastase for color treated hair and still coloring but my hair is shiny and healthy major transformation and the beauty of it is i no longer use all the other products for shine or frizz or hold that i had used before. i buy shampoo and conditioner and that is it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
kar126 wrote:

It keeps the cuticles flat too, so your hair will shine more and tangle less Smile

Really?? washing my hair with cold water makes my hair shiner???? Cool!! I should try
justinapan
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:49 am      Reply with quote
Thanks.I would like to try this weekend.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:17 am      Reply with quote
SeanySeanUK wrote:
For hair as well..... there is the usual recommendations that brushing your hair not only loosens the dirt but also stimulates circulation and that you should aim to do 100 strokes a day.

I've read many times this is an old wives tale or myth. Guess it may depend upon your hair.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
SeanySeanUK wrote:

I've read many times this is an old wives tale or myth. Guess it may depend upon your hair.

I've also heard that it's a myth and that all that brushing actually weakens and breaks your hair.

So my Mega-Tek came in the post today. Yay! I can't wait to get home from work and put some in. I want my hair THICK. It's long but sooo thin.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:29 am      Reply with quote
I've just started thinking...I wonder if mega-tek or ovation therapy could be used like lumigan for eyelash or brow growth. What do you think???
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |