Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
make-up brushes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
tthagen1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:30 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a make-up brush line (namely a large powder brush), that does not shed!

I really do not want to spend an unreasonable amount of money for this, but I am sick of using the brushes, and then having to pick off the brush hairs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Terri
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Is this for applying mineral makeup? I highly recommend Philosophy the supernatural brush

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21n3Ino47iL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I heart it to death. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
I realy like the Lumiere brushes, especially the kabuki http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=511&parent=25 and the powder brush http://www.lumierecosmetics.com/index.php?p=product&id=432&parent=25. Only problem is that I've been wanting to order a second brush of each and have been checking back off and on for months and they are always out of stock. Rolling Eyes
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Lumiere and Alima both have really nice, reasonably priced brushes for general makeup purposes that don't shed; Stila makes my favorite eyeshadow brush. I've had bad luck with MAC brushes--some love them, but the two I bought have both shedded badly. Pity, too, since the MAC 187 is otherwise a terrific brush for stippling on liquid foundation.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I LOVE my Bobbi Brown brushes - I've had some for 10+ years and they've never shed on me.

I've heard really good things about Japonesque brushes - and their prices seem really reasonable for good brushes.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
taobunny, I have a set of Japonesque brushes in an aluminum tube for travel that I've had for about 10 years - still love them and they haven't fallen apart yet.

zyggy, yeah I love my philosophy Supernatural brush. I used to use it for MMU when I wore that, but now I use it for buffing in my liquid foundation.

I have a big Chanel powder brush for applying loose powder, but I also like my Stila retractable powder brush - nice and soft and relatively inexpensive, but it does shed. My old Lancome fiberoptic (skunk) brush is great for applying just about anything - foundation, blush, bronzer, powder - since it only picks up a small amount of the product on its "long hairs" and then it buffs them in with its "short hairs".

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Those "skunk" brushes are terrific--I have three now. Not only are they great for getting an airbrushed look with liquid foundation, but they also apply powder blush and bronzer in a very subtle way, so you can build what you want and not look like a clown. I even use them for cream blush sometimes, especially if the cream blush is scary-dark or bright. I wouldn't be without them.
jae

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
I have had good luck with Trish McEvoy brushes, but my favorites are from Bare Essentials.
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Do you prefer a kabuki brush or stipple brush when applying your MMU (powder type)? Would you know what the difference is in results? I'm trying to decide on a brush. I've used a sponge and like that too. I'm just not sure what the differences are between these application methods.

Also, do you use the stipple brush the same way as the kabuki brush or is that different too?

Thanks for your thoughts!
jae

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have only used a kabuki brush for MMU, so I am not sure what the application differences would be with a stipple brush. Would love to hear from anyone who does!

I have used a stipple brush for cream blush, which I liked.
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:58 pm      Reply with quote
Stipple brushes aren't dense enough for mineral makeup, in my experience. Kabuki brush or flattop brushes like Jane Iredale's Handi brush work best for mineral makeup. Stipple brushes are best for liquid foundation, cream blushes that are bright or dark, and intense powder blushes. Maybe bronzer too, though I don't use bronzer and thus can't say from personal use.
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:07 am      Reply with quote
I love the sable and squirrel brushes from Yvonne Ouellette. In 6 months of use, they still look like the day I bought them. I have the Pro Line set.
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 am      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
Stipple brushes aren't dense enough for mineral makeup, in my experience. Kabuki brush or flattop brushes like Jane Iredale's Handi brush work best for mineral makeup. Stipple brushes are best for liquid foundation, cream blushes that are bright or dark, and intense powder blushes. Maybe bronzer too, though I don't use bronzer and thus can't say from personal use.

Geez, did I have an "a-ha" moment! I thought stipple brushes were the same as flat top ones. I will look up the Jane Iredale ones. I've been using the BE kabuki for a while and it's the only one I've tried; I just wondered if another type of brush would change the finish.

Thanks for the tip!
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:01 pm      Reply with quote
Blesstd, I highly recommend you get a better brush than the BE kabuki--trust me, it'll be a revelation! The BE kabuki was my first mineral makeup brush. I found it a bit annoying because it shed so much. Then I "borrowed" my daughter's Jane Iredale Handi brush--a flattop brush recommended for pressed mineral foundation. What a difference when I used it with my loose MMU! Next up I tried the Alima 25 and the Lumiere kabuki--both were fantastic. I was getting pretty frustrated with the cakeyness and unevenness of MMU, but it turned out it wasn't the makeup, it was the BE kabuki brush!

So...invest in a really good kabuki and you'll never go back to the BE one. (It's now a computer screen brush... Laughing )
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
flitcraft wrote:
So...invest in a really good kabuki and you'll never go back to the BE one. (It's now a computer screen brush... Laughing )

LOL!!

So if I was going to buy ONE new MMU brush, which one would you recommend?

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:49 am      Reply with quote
tthagen1 - A'Squirrel brushes are fabulous and *so* soft. I have a whole set (of the squirrel hair ones) plus some of the kabuki brushes and have not had any problems with shedding at all. The fluffy powder brush is the softest brush I've ever used.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:33 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

So if I was going to buy ONE new MMU brush, which one would you recommend?

The Alima #25 is not a kabuki, but its a great brush - I liked it so much I purchased two of them!

In addition, Alima has a brush sale on currently where a set of brushes is $60 instead of the regular $87 (if you need other brushes alongside a mineral make-up one!)
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 am      Reply with quote
I think I agree that the Alima 25 would be my choice. It's very dense but very soft, and because the hairs are shorter than in most kabukis, it seems to be ideal for buffing in sheer layers of MMU. Mind you, the Lumiere kabuki is no slouch, either. I tend to travel with that one because it hasn't got a long handle.
blesstd
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Flitcraft, it never occurred to me it's the brush!! I've had trouble with caking and uneven application and kept changing MMU's. I gave up for a while but haven't found anything else so I'm back at using the Meow MMU I had previously. I've been using a sponge but prefer a brush so I'll check the Alima 25 - thanks for the tip!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks all...I will definitely check out the Alima brushes!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I guess I don't understand what a "stipple" brush is, either... can someone 'splain it to me or give an example???

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:08 am      Reply with quote
Definitely try synthetic brushes from Lumiere or Forever Female. not only are they cruelty free but synthetics are sooo superior (so soft!) to natural hair brushes. The prices of those 2 vendors are also amazing. i have tons of chanel brushes that i don't even touch anymore!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I personally adore my Too Faced brush set -- they're all synthetic, and they never ever shed on me and they're insanely soft and well-made. I have the brush set they sell plus the retractable kabuki brush, and I love both! The buki takes FOREVER to dry when I wash it, and it can be really hard to get all of the soap out of them when they get their bath, but it's worth it to have quality brushes that are gentle on my skin and never ever shed EVER.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
flitcraft
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hi fawnie, a stipple brush is sometimes called a duo fiber brush or a skunk brush. It has shorter, dark colored hairs and longer, white hairs. The contrast explains the term "duo fiber" and the black and white nature explains the "skunk," an animal that is black and white.

Now, "stipple" comes from its use--you swirl the brush tips in a drop or two of your foundation, then lightly pat it all over your face, leaving a light dotting or stippling of the makeup. Buff it lightly and voila, airbrushed foundation.

Hope this helps--if not, look online for a picture of MAC's no. 187 brush--it's the classic (though very pricey) such brush.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks flitcraft! I get it, stipple brush = skunk brush. I love my old Lancome skunk brush and have used it for everything from MMU to liquid foundation to blush.

I just invested in a new MakeUpForever kabuki that is really soft and dense. The black tips are great because I can see how much powder I have picked up before I apply. The only drawback to that one is that after I washed it once, the plastic around the handle cracked and is peeling. I paid $40 for it at Sephora, so I'm taking it back for a replacement. Otherwise, a great brush.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |