Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
anyone have mold problems with front loading washers?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mominparis

Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone experienced mold problems or odorous clothes coming from a front loading washer? I've had mine for two years and it has just started. I've paid enough for this machinery.
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! I have always left the door of mine open when the washer wasn't in use (have had 2 of them over the years) and it was fine.

Perhaps running it empty on a hot cycle with a lot of bleach, wiping the rubber seal around the door thoroughly with a bleach solution and then leaving the door open to dry henceforth might work?
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've had my new front loading LG washer & dryer for a few months. I'm in love with them. They're Bahama Blue, on the raised drawers, and perform beautifully.

The guys who set them up for us told me to wipe the moisture off the door of the washer each time it's used, so I usually do that. No odor or mold yet, but my sister said they have front loaders at their church daycare, and they've gotten pretty funky smelling, from being in constant use and not being wiped down I guess. The washer uses so much less water than my old 20 year old top loader; I'm not sure why the leftover moisture is a problem, but I guess we just have to be careful.

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
catsull
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I've read that this is a common problem with front loaders - why else would they market a special cleaner just to get rid of the smell (it doesn't work too well)? I have a front loader too - an LG. I try to periodically wash something (dog towels, etc.) in hot water with bleach to keep the smell at bay. I also keep the door open when not in use. And my LG has a drain on the lower left side that if it's going to be sitting for a while (& sometimes "just because"), I drain out the standing water - usually about a quart or so.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
I also have an LG and although I haven't noticed any smell, I very much regret purchasing it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think these machines clean as well as the top loaders....

The ability to soak my towels or what have you in hot water with bleach before washing or open the lid during the cycle to let things soak for a while is very sorely missed. Also am unable to use 'pucks' for detergent etc because they just don't dissolve... they wind up just bunched into some clothing item Sad Very very sorry I switched...
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
top loaders are unusual in the UK so I've always had a front loader. If they are used regularly and the door is left open, then there is no smell. Stinks arise when they either aren't used more than three times per week or you keep the door closed.

If you live in hard water areas it's a good idea to use a descaler once a month and I wash all my rags on a bleach wash once a month as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
We've had ours for about 2 years and never had a smell/mold problem. I've never even heard that mold could be a problem. I never wipe the door and never leave it open between uses. I do alot of white loads with bleach so maybe that helps? Just wondering though if anyone else has a problem with the legs of their pants all twisting up when the load is done. I always put the spin on the medium cycle so that it's not as fast and they still twist up so when I put them in the dryer they are always very wrinkled.
doohicus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have the mold smell and twisted clothing. Trying to get son and husband to not leave clothes in washer and leave door open. My machine has a cleaning program to use 1x a month which includes running bleach and hot water using a special cycle. I will have to wipe down with bleach. I think the twisting may be not enough clothing in machine.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:25 am      Reply with quote
The instruction manual for mine specifically advises to leave door open when not in use to prevent the possibility of it getting moldy.
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
We just bought one this summer. The manufacturer recommendation is to leave the door open between washings to prevent mold. Mold can cause damage to the machine and if that is the determining cause, it can void the warranty.

Having said that - we love ours.

Betsy
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I also leave the door of my front loader slightly ajar between loads and haven't had any problems with mold. The one thing I have noticed is if I load it more than 2/3 full, the clothes don't come out clean.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the input everyone. I found that leaving the door open and running the monthly bleach wash still resulted in moldy smelling clothes. A friend suggested trying Borax with my whites because bleach damages the washer, and I am happy to report that the wiping, the door open and the Borax have kept the mold away!
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
Had mine for 2 weeks HATED IT water in the seal etc now have a Fisher Paykel love it would never buy a front load big waste of money

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:06 am      Reply with quote
I have a front loader LG steam washer/dryer in one and love it! I do leave the door open when it's not in use and have not had any problems. I use it maybe once a week on average but since I travel a lot it goes through long periods of not being used at all and then periods of being used a lot in a short period of time. Never had to wipe the seals/door down. My suggestion, on top of leaving the door open, would be to also clean out the filter on a regular basis.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
As I'm in the UK, I've only had a front loader, never had a top loader. I have used one a few times in France (no problems) and also when visiting a friend in the Bahamas who had a top loader from the US, which literally shredded the neck of a cotton cardigan....!! I was also surprised when I used the Laundress line detergents from the US that you need to use half as much detergent in front loader than a top loader so those top loaders are not very eco...

It's probably best to keep the door open to air but it's not practical for me as I live in a flat and my washing machine is in a cupboard in the hallway so I'd need to leave the cupboard door open and wouldn't then be able to walk in the hallway! That said, I've never had mould problems. And one may be more likely to get mould if your washing machine was in a basement (as in the American 'soaps'..appropriate!)

I don't know if it's made a difference to my machines but I always do at least one 'boil wash' a week (in reality 90 degrees c which is the max my machine does) with wash cloths etc but I also do a maintenance wash once a month to keep the washing machine and drain pipes clear. Partly to do with living in a hard water area, but also my washing machine shares pipes with the kitchen sink so this has extra benefits in my case. This maintenance wash is basically a max temperature wash with no clothing or detergent (v important), I put in a cup of soda crystals or baking soda or bicarb of soda and two cups of vinegar. I put this into the compartment rather than the drum to help clean the machine's internal pipes.

I am not sure about cleaning the rubber with bleach, it may damage the rubber. Though if you dilute it before you apply and then do a plain hot wash on afterwards it may prevent too much damage.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
So what's the difference between a front loader and those typical regular washer? Embarassed
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Well the top loaders are a historic US thing (and I think Australia too) whilst in Europe we have mainly had front loaders.

I haven't looked too much into things but I understand the front loaders use a lot less water than top loaders as they are called HE for High Efficiency. Also, when I was in the Bahamas I noticed the top loader I used there took longer, so presumably they take more energy too. My limited experience was that top loaders are harsher on clothes and an English person I know who lives in the States said that too, but as that's just two of us, that could be subjective.

My brand of choice on washing machines is Miele but sadly I currently don't have room for a standard sized machine but only a less deep one, so have a Bosch.
nutella
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
I leave the door open when not in use.

Some people say front loaders use less detergent than top loaders. And the clothes come out cleaner too.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with daisylondon on the differences between the top loaders and the front loaders. As an observation though, I have found the top loaders to be better at cleaning large loads of clothes and also to take *much* LESS time than the front loaders. My front loader does have a quick cycle but the standard cycles are much longer than those of my parents' top loader.

A few years back top loaders were probably >80% stock in the stores in Australia. Now we have a fair few more front loader options than before because they certainly do use a lot less water (something that we have a shortage of) and are generally more efficient with energy use. From my experience, the front loaders are also quieter.

There is one obvious disadvantage with the front loaders - if you forgot to chuck something in, tough! With the top loaders you can open the cover at any time and add more stuff.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I found that the front loading washers did not rinse very well. the clothes did not seem as clean. but I guess they are easier on the clothes with less agitation.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have a Bosch front loader for about 5 years -LOVE it.

Cleans so much better then any of the front loader machines I had before, does not rip clothes, etc.

I do not leave the door open, and I am not using bleach at all (actually the manual explicitly prohibits it).

I did research quite a bit which detergent to use, etc. - so now I use a combo of Charlie's Soap, OXY and Shaklee's Spot remover - all very healthy, no bad chemicals, comes out - perfect (whites are truly white, towels are fluffy, etc.).

I have read about mold problems ( I believe it was specific to LG and may be Whirlpool). There is a very interesting website - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/ where you can find the answers and suggestions to most of the questions.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
I have read about mold problems ( I believe it was specific to LG and may be Whirlpool). There is a very interesting website - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/ where you can find the answers and suggestions to most of the questions.

I had a Maytag with serious mildew problems...got rid of it. Shock

My sister has the LG, and also had mildew problems that were solved by wiping out residual water from the big rubber door seal after using, and leaving the washer open (an absolute requirement).

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 am      Reply with quote
I have the front loader Maytag Neptune. I hate it!! I have had the rubber seal replaced numerous times and I still get the mold smell and now I have new black mold spots. I've tried the Afresh and have had good results with removing the smell but it still leaves the black dots.

I am now looking into getting the new Samsung front loader with the Silver Technology. Water passes over the silver plates and this prevents the mold and disinfects without the use of hot water. Just need to save up and wait for a good sale.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
I've had a National front loading washer/dryer for around 3 years now. It is also the economy water user (wash load up to 9kg uses 35 ltr of water compared to old top loader that was max. 6kg load using 72 ltr of water) and I have never really noticed a problem with clothing not being cleaned properly.

I love ours because the door is on an upwards angle, not just flat-front, which means it is possible to stop mid wash and toss in something else.

We've started to have a few dryer issues in the last few months (probably more my fault than the machine), but other than that it has been a total godsend to our busy lives.

Like others, I leave the door ajar and do a maintenance wash (mine has a cycle, but the longest wash with hottest water would do) with bi-carb/vinegar regularly. I clean the dryer filter after every load dried (have to really) and there is a lamp to tell me when the regular filter needs a clean.

I have not had any mold problems on the rubber door and only really wipe over it with a microfiber cleaning cloth if I notice some fluff stuck on it. (I really should do it once a month though).

Anyway, I dont think it is a problem just of front loaders... even top loaders not left open to dry after use will go moldy and produce smelly clothing too.

(doohicus, sometimes the leg twisting can be from too many clothes too)

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |