Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
melasma
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
herama wrote:
I can't afford anything like laser/IPL, which is probably for the best right now. In all the research I've done, I've found there are many people for whom IPL makes the melasma worse, and sometimes causes PIH in addition to the already existing melasma. Same with laser. A lot of those that actually had results, found the melasma returned with just slight exposure to sun. There's no way I could afford repeated trials, and since my skin tends towards all kinds of problesm, including Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, I don't think I'd be a good candidate anyway. I'm glad it helped your daughter. I find that even with heavy physical sunblocks (UV Naturals 30+ with 24% zinc oxide), I still get darkening. I am a serious believer in the "something internal" going on, and with my yeast probs, I'm inclined to think it's somehow all related. Unfortunately, I have no idea what that link is! I have been taking a lot of zinc lately, in hopes of improving my immune system. It helped clear up some acne,but I found myself gettingyeast symptoms. I stopped the extra zinc, and the yeast issue is clearing up. This has happened before. SO much for "copper overload- take more zinc" theory. (which is an internet phenomena often mentioned as a cause of melasma).

Very interesting....I have diffuse melasma on my cheeks, and also happen to have a systemic year infection that I have had for many years.

I think I may embark on a hard-core yeast control effort, and see what that does to my hyperpigmentation.

BTW, the more active thread on melasma these days is this one below. I just posted some pics from using Vivite Vibrance and Obagi C-Rx.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=31060&start=225

Editing to add:

I just looked up Tinea Versicolor, and we see a lot of that on people here in Florida. I just gave a friend some of my Nizoral anti-fungal shampoo (that I use for yeast rashes) so that she can use it on her lighter spots. But I never realized that it could show up as darker spots.

I am going to start using the Nizoral on my cheeks once a day and see what happens.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading all of your posts.
I do not know what I have, but I have had it for four years and it has been getting better.
I have used Triluma and another one prescribed from the doctor. They took a long time and I am not sure they really worked.
It has gotten better over the two years, but not gone completely.
I agree that it is under the skin's surface.
I also think there may be a connection to a fungus also.
Since I think it is under the skin; and can't afford expensive lazar, Dermabrasion or Fractal I have been doing my own home treatments to mimic the effects.
I wish I could pinpoint what has been working for you all. But, here is what I have been doing with much success over the years.
I use The Susan Lucci at home dermabrasion.
(It is almost gone and I think I may switch to Derma new)
I also just started, a few months ago, using a home lazar treatment, the mini marvel red light. (Since I think it is below the skin and must be brought to the surface).
Periodically I used different at home chemical peels. I haven't found one that is that great. So, if anyone has suggestions I would be love to hear them.
I also use, only periodically for a week or so, just until I get the peeling effect, Differin, which is a medication prescribed for acne.
I have used Vitamin K. I am not sure how well it has worked. I think I will get some though after reading the posts. Any suggestions as to which one works best or does it not matter?
I have a clarisonic and I do like it for cleaning at night. I don't think it really exfoliates in terms of really getting the layers off to get rid of the blotchiness. I just like the clean feeling. I use it with a Biore foam pump 4 in one product that is supposed to clean, exfoliate, have a toner and protect.
I think some of my blotchiness is from acne scars. I use meladerma right away for that now and it works if you use it right away.
I hope this helps some of you.
Last I have periodically used scrubs and masks with sugar and very fine pumice.
Also along with those I have ground up sea salt and put it in a thick type of mask.
I bought some ST.Ives olive cleanser and I love it for the shower just prior to my make up routine. It does not make your skin more oily. It just gives it a very soft feel.
I hope these ides will hep some of you
Kim Roney

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote
lucyluc wrote:
This dreaded malady is one of the most difficult skin conditions to treat. Asians,hispanics, italians are most affected by it. If you are lucky enough to have some success in treating it ;it will come back even worse if you go in the sun.I have suffered from this for years,finally was able to get rid of most of it and I never let the sun hit my face if I can help it;hence it has not returned.

Lucyluc, what did you do to help rid the spots?
Bira
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Have any of you tried IPL treatments? My youngest daughter used to have melasma - she had a "moustache" and very dark patches under the eyes. She had one intense IPL treatment and the patches all dried up and fell off. However, then she went in the sun and they came back (although they weren't as bad as they were). She then had a couple more treatments and her skin is now completely clear. She now NEVER puts her face in the sun and is diligent about wearing sunscreen.

My eldest daughter has now also developed melasma - I think it is hormonal from taking the pill. She has tried all the usual topical treatments and has given up on them. She has now also booked in to have IPL. I'm inclined to think that the melasma comes from deep within the layers of the skin and it takes a more invasive approach to get rid of it. Topical treatments just treat the surface of the skin and, of course, results take much longer.

After an IPL treatment you do look really terrible - all the discolouration turns very dark. However, within a week or two the patches all dry up and flake off leaving the skin clear.

Keliu, only one IPL treatment? I did try one IPL treatment and it didn't do anything for my spots. I didn't know that IPL can have different strengths. Isn't IPL the same from doctor to doctor? My sister got rid of her spots with series of IPL treatments.

By the way, how often can you have IPL treatments done? Is it once a week?
poulinsj
5% products discount

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:05 pm      Reply with quote
Have you tried Amelan or Dermalen? I had excellent results with both treatments. However, i have been on it for so long that i had trouble maintaining my results. If only i could find the trigger.

I have since switched to Obagi...not sure if i like it or not. I blogged my process with Amelan at:
www. xanga. com/ poulinsj

With pictures and all. I wish i could find what triggers my Melasma. I HATE it.

Sheila
ofacertainage

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi new here, via Antonia. Have suffered ten years with Melasma. It is psycologically damaging, so I know how you all feel. I'd rather have a face full of wrinkles than this pariah. Have spent thousands on lasers, IPLs, creams. Not much works, and wondering if chemical sunscreens contribute to the problem. I feel my derm has taken advantage of me, given me false hope. Now she's called to say how the results of a new leave on peel called Melanage are v ery promising, and that for another $1300 I can try that too. So exasperated. Will try the MSM and let you know how it goes.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi.. I developed mild melasma on my cheeks and forehead which appeared to be from a combination of birth control pill and a long sundrenched holiday spent in Thailand. I decided to stay away from chemical treatments and instead tried a more natural approach which so far seems to be helping. Unfortunately, I am not sure which part of my regime is actually working since I use a variety of techniques. Anyway, I have been using organic apple cider vinegar on my face. Equal part cider to water. Pretty easy, just mix it together and wipe over face with cotton ball. Fumes can be very strong so be aware of this. Secondly, I have been taking MSM with Vitamin C powder three times a day. Thirdly, I take grape seed extract. I make sure to always wear a zinc oxide.. there are some great invisible Zinc oxides available which are great on the skin. ANd finally, I am using NIA24. Anyway, I know this won't work for everyone.. but hey, even if you melasma doesn't fade, MSM and grape seed are a wonderful way of keeping your skin healthy and wrinkle free. Good luck.
Angy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:00 am      Reply with quote
katsie wrote:
Anyway, I have been using organic apple cider vinegar on my face. Equal part cider to water. Pretty easy, just mix it together and wipe over face with cotton ball.

Do you use the apple cider as a toner?
katsie

Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
Yeah, just as a toner. Morning and night.
DutchSK

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi All -- New to this website but feeling your pain. I was 35 and on BC pills, and it started under my eyes (top of cheeks). Even stopping the pill, it spread to my chin, cheeks (near jaw line) and a few spots on nose and chin. It crept up on me, and I finally realized how bad it was when my poor niece saw me without makeup and thought I had a sunburn (dark and very blotchy).

One thing to note - I have fair, very sensitive skin, which tends to be oily, and I've had breakouts since I was 12, much less than now at 47, but I still get some acne

I've tried just about everything
- Hyrdoquinone didn't work and even caused a rebound effect, with darker spots
- Retin A didn't work and was too drying, with my skin constantly peeling (really ugly under makeup I needed to try to hide my melasma)
- Azeliec Acid was gentler than Retin A, but not real results
- An OTC mix of Kojic Acid + C + other stuff, no results
- Various OTC peels/creams, no results
- Monthly peels at the dermo office, no results
- medium strength TCA peel was great, but expect a few weeks downtime for crusting and peeling, but it came right back as my skin healed (a tiny bit lighter, but it came back)
- dermabrasion did absolutely nothing
- lasers-I tried IPL, no really good results. tried another laser treatment (sorry forgot the name of this one) which was like 3rd degree burns, meaning I had to scrape off the crusting for several weeks and was really painful. In the end, it helped with some fine lines, but although the melasma went away, it came back as my skin started healing. The dermo was mad thinking I had been in the sun, but I assure you I had not. It's much lighter now, but I still have it, plus a couple of light small scars from the laser treatment (so much more $$$ than the medium strenght TCA peel, but no better results for me)
- MSM supplement, tried for over a year, but no noticeable difference
- Pycnogenol (pine tree extract)supplement, have been taking for a few months now, no real results yet (not expecting them)
- My sister (whose melasma is lighter and looks less blotchy) is trying Tri-luma, and I'll be interested to see if the results last.

In the end, I'm like a lot of you, no results or no lasting results -- except a much lighter wallet.

Since the TCA peel/laser treatment, it is lighter but still there. I maintain by using SS (most clog my pores so I'm currently looking into a mineral version of it -- any good suggestions?), and by adding Vit C powder (Philosophy brand) to my current skind care regimen -- plus staying out of the sun. I still need makeup to cover the spots.

My only advice -- whatever treatment you do, you have to make sure you plan something you can use to maintain long-term.

I think most doctors have felt it's superficial, and with my fair complexion, they thought it should be easy to treat -- but it has not.

I'll be following the melasma forums in the hopes that one day, there will be a cure. In the meantime, I try not to be so self conscious and maintain hope.
Blue skies
5% products discount

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:42 am      Reply with quote
My melasma appeared just as I turned 40, on my forehead, cheeks and upper lip, looking really like a mustache!!! But now after 3 weeks on Obagi Nu derm and Retin A (and a total of 8 weeks with Obagi Blender (pm) I can happily say that the mustache has faded completely, the rest is almost gone Very Happy

I know that the sun is my worst enemy and that I must never ever be without sunscreen, or the melasma will come back instantly.

Obagi Nu derm has definitely helped me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Great results, Blue Skies!! And it's only been 8 weeks...imagine what you'll look like after the full eighteen!

Hi Dutchsk,
Have you considered using the Obagi Nuderm system for your melasma? It's a pretty intense regimen, but you might have awesome results, too!

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi -- thanks for the idea to try Obagi NuDerm. I see the pics after 18 weeks, which seem impressive.

My question -- who out there has used this a while ago, and do the results last? If so, how?

There are a *lot* of products in the line, which I guess I can deal with. However, I am a bit nervous about using products with hyrdroquinone again -- as I mentioned in my previous post, I had a bad rebound effect, ending up with darker spots than before. Did any of you experience that with Obagi?

Thanks in advance!
DutchSK
DutchSK

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 am      Reply with quote
One follow-on question -- has anyone tried the C Rx system from Obagi? Does it work?

Thanks
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Hi DutchSK,
Try doing a search on Obagi to find some of the older threads. There's a wealth of information on them as well as many forum member's experiences. I did this when I first started using Nuderm and it was very helpful and encouraging to me.

The one thing about Obagi Nuderm is the fact that you must go on maintenance after the 18 weeks or you do risk your pigmentation issues returning. Also, if you don't like hydroquinine, Nuderm has some products without it.

Retin A is another important component of the Nuderm system and has to be purchased separately since it is a prescription product.

There are a lot of people on the forum who have used Nuderm (and still are) with great success. Good Luck!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
Clinty I struggle with this too. The NaturDerm products made a huge difference for me. Using the Epidermx II fades the melasma nearly to skin tone. The bad part is when you go outside, there it is again. I have found I can atleast control it this way. The products are on sale right now http://www.greatnewskin.com/index2.html
hascallmarie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I am a melasma sufferer. Smile I was reading these posts and was wondering what is MSM and where do you get it at?
herama
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi hascallmarie.

MSM is a supplement that you can buy at most pharmacies or health food stores from the vitamin section. Also available online at almost any vitamin/pharmacy website. It's a sulphur compound that the body uses for skin and other connective tissue maintenance. Some people tolerate it just fine. However, others (myself included) experience side effects that can include headaches and insomnia. I could not sleep when I tried taking it. Since many people recommend taking a very high dose of MSM when trying to reduce the appearance of melasma, it may not work if you have sensitivity to it. But it's certainly worth a try, as it's relatively inexpensive. I don't know where you live, but if in the U.S.
try Walgreen's or CVS, or a Whole Foods, or your local equivalent. Online you can try Vitamin Shoppe or maybe Drugstore.com.
If you try it, let us know how it goes!
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
I can relate. Melasma is my enemy. A few years ago my skin was free of this, then it crept in. I looked up one day and had it on my upper lip, on my chin and on my cheeks. I have tried, Triluma, Lustra, Obagi, assorted OTC things, IPLs and Fraxel -- all with no success. Sad

My derm told me it will fade with age. He said he'd never seen a 70-year-old with melasma. Great news. Decades from now I'll be free.

I have worn sunscreen faithfully for nearly 20 years and have used Retin a/retin a micro/taz for longer than that. I also stay out of the sun. None of this has been helpful in the battle against melasma.
m1rox
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Have you tried using zinc oxide sunscreens? As opposed to chemical sunscreens. There are some ladies whose melasma is controlled better by zinc oxide sunscreens. It is not certain why this is so. It may be partly related to heat generated by absorption of UV light by chemical blockers exacerbating melasma or by some of the chemical blockers having estrogenic effects which might also stimulate melasma since it's hormone sensitive.

There is another thread on zinc only sunscreens on this forum if you are interested.
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
m1rox wrote:
Have you tried using zinc oxide sunscreens? As opposed to chemical sunscreens. There are some ladies whose melasma is controlled better by zinc oxide sunscreens. It is not certain why this is so. It may be partly related to heat generated by absorption of UV light by chemical blockers exacerbating melasma or by some of the chemical blockers having estrogenic effects which might also stimulate melasma since it's hormone sensitive.

There is another thread on zinc only sunscreens on this forum if you are interested.

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't heard this before. I switched to physical sunblocks about 6 months ago because I thought they might be safer. I have been using Devita Ultrasolar 50 (19% zinc oxide) and Elta MD UV Clear (9% zinc oxide). I sure wish I was one of those for whom the physical blocks had made a difference in melasma.

I hope to hear more suggestions. Right now I am so desperate to get rid of this that I'd try just about anything -- within reason, of course.
jackel

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm new here, I've has melasma for about 7 years, but recently it is much more noticeable. So, i went to the derm, she precribed me Triluma which made my melasma much more darker after i stopped it. Because triluma can't be used for a long time according to my derm. Now, i'm on hydroquinone for 2 weeks but has not made but a little bit less darker. but i'm scared because it is a carcinogen, and because what i've read about some of you bouncing back melasma darker. i'm thinking about lemon juice or vit c. can anybody help please. Thank you and God bless Crying or Very sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone heard of or used NeoCutis Blanche Skin Lightening Cream? This product was mentioned in the October Allure mag. It contains 4% hydroquinone and melaplex, which I am unfamiliar with.
215abigail

Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:49 am      Reply with quote
you should try melederm,im only 22 n i got melasma when i was 21 after having a birthmark removed,my skin broke out for some reason it started near my nose where i had the birthmark removed and then it jus spread everywhere,im more than convinced that melasma is more of an inside problem than an outside one and topical creams very rarely work.When i first got it i was really depressed because it jus didnt look right 2 me and im not the type to wear makeup so i jus accepted it for what it was,it actually made me a much stronger person in the end because i know its only skin deep and beauty in is the inside.Still,if i could improve it i would,the first product i came across on the internet was Meladerm,of course i was skeptical and it was really pricey but i tried it anyway,it worked wonders on my skin in the first two weeks the dark spots i had on my skin had completely vanished (not the melasma just the dark spots) i've been using it for about 2 months now and ive noticed that the melasma is breaking up and in some spots clearing it,i have high hopes for this cream i think in the end it will clear alot of it up i will definitely keep you posted though,its says on the product to spot treat your face but i think you should put it on your entire face thats wat worked best for me...and btw im determined to find a cure for melasma,since the doctors dont really look into that much i am and melasma will be cured once and for all,till then love the skin youre in and live life to the fullest dont let melasma get in the way of your life,peace and love till next time be safe
azumma
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
What is the difference melasma vs Freckles? How can you tell the difference by looking?I thought the brown dots and blotches on my face are freckles...Could they be melasma??
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |