Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
I feel like my skin is ruined :(
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Anastasia111

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone,

i had convinced myself that retin a wasnt good for my skin so i took a two week break from it. Well the blackheads on my nose were back full force. I decided to try some biore nose strips. I waited 15 minutes like the box said and then very very slowly pulled the strips off. Well here i am two weeks after using the strips with a red nose. I cant tell if im just paranoid or what but it almost looks like i have small lines on my nose. But i have broken caps on my cheeks from Retin-a and they dont look the same. Im only 21 and im sick of this crap. I feel like my skin is ruined. What should i do? I filed a complaint with the company and they sent me a letter to get another free products. I dont want any more of their stuff!! lol. So is this really bad or no? Sad( Thank you!!
catballou
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think your skin is ruined. I had that same result several years ago with a Biore' strip on the bridge of my nose. I pulled it off a little more forcefully than I should have, and I looked like I had a red birthmark where the strip had been! The redness lasted several days and then vanished.

Funny thing, when companies respond to a complaint with more of the same product. I wrote Healthy Choice frozen dinners once because I had taken one of their meals to work, and it was absolutely inedible, so I had no lunch that day. They sent me coupons for more dinners!

I’m 60, never smoked, eat healthy, fitness center + hiking, lots of water and nutrients, size 4 jeans Smile, some lower facial sagging, but it’s improving with AALS, Clarisonic, Remergent, L2K, (including her new hand held devices), Ageless exercises, peels, OCM, etc. “This is my face; deal with it.” Annette Bening
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
We've all done stuff just like that. Me too,with the Biore strips.But,be gentle with your skin and it will repair.
I like to use triple refined Emu Oil(LBProcessors) to soothe my skin when I overdo it.
Hopefully,someone will jump in for gentle help for blackheads.
Smile
jag
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
I used the biore nose strips a few years back. After the third or fourth strip I noticed that there was a small red mark on the right side of my nose. I think it was the result of ripping the strip of quickly. After that I stopped using the strips all together! Three years later, I still have that red mark and it hasn't faded what so ever!

I used retin a as well two years ago. It didn't do anything for my skin other than making it extremely sensitive to the sun. After a few months I stopped using it. I honestly think that I damaged my skin more in those few months than I have over the last 20 years!

Over the years I've learned to be just gentle with my skin. I don't use too many products. I find that chemical exfoliators are less abrasive on my skin them manual exfoliators. I use paula's choice 2%bha liquid exfoliator. It's extremely gentle and it has only a few ingredients. It doesn't break me out or aggravate my skin at all. Paulas's Choice is good at giving samples as well. As far as moisturizers go, I've always had good luck with Clinique moisture surge.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Anastasia111 wrote:
Hey everyone,

i had convinced myself that retin a wasnt good for my skin so i took a two week break from it. Well the blackheads on my nose were back full force. I decided to try some biore nose strips. I waited 15 minutes like the box said and then very very slowly pulled the strips off. Well here i am two weeks after using the strips with a red nose. I cant tell if im just paranoid or what but it almost looks like i have small lines on my nose. But i have broken caps on my cheeks from Retin-a and they dont look the same. Im only 21 and im sick of this crap. I feel like my skin is ruined. What should i do? I filed a complaint with the company and they sent me a letter to get another free products. I dont want any more of their stuff!! lol. So is this really bad or no? Sad( Thank you!!

Could the lines be from dehydration or pulling on the skin too forcefully?
allyssa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I feel your pain Crying or Very sad , I have done some damaging things to my skin as well. I am not sure of your skin type but there are many natural remedies that you can try that are healing. Try carrier oils with essential oils that are suited for your skin type. Hydrosols are also very healing. The cheapest and most effective remedy is to steep either chamomile teas or green teas and apply to your face. Let me know if you need any more help.
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Don't use Biore strips, they are the worse. Pore walls can become damaged and weakened. They told us this in cosmetology school when I was in the esthetician program. It is a quick fix but not worth it in the long run in my opinion.
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I've hurt my skin a lot in the past as well. Hopefully you'll be like catballou and skincareaddict and it will heal. Plus, you're still very young and your skin will have more of an ability to bounce back than other people's skin might.

I feel your anxiety though. I'm 21 too and I thought I'd have teenage skin forever. I'm still very self-conscious of my skin.

My advice to you would be to leave your skin alone for now - don't attack it with chemicals or wash it in too hot or too cold water - and let it heal. You don't want to traumatize it further.

You could try making a very gentle mask with kaolin clay and turmeric. Turmeric is what I believe made the red marks on my cheeks start to disappear. I could work for you too. Good luck (and I really mean it).
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:57 am      Reply with quote
Blackheads get allot of coverage on this Forum and the general consensus is that acids definitely help. I've been using Retin-A for about a year, and my blackheads have improved immensely. But I've also used lactic acid peels - salicylic acid is also very good. If you're really worried about them, I would go to a skincare professional and get them extracted properly. Then you need to adopt a good cleansing regime.

I know from your other thread "Scared about using Retin-A" that you were worried about it giving you broken caps - but I think I posted you a link that stated that Retin-A was actually recommended for broken caps. Plus it really is the gold standard when it comes to skincare. I would recommend that you go back on it - but use a lower strength and make sure it has a CREAM base and not a gel one. Good luck Very Happy
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Fox wrote:
I've hurt my skin a lot in the past as well. Hopefully you'll be like catballou and skincareaddict and it will heal. Plus, you're still very young and your skin will have more of an ability to bounce back than other people's skin might.

I feel your anxiety though. I'm 21 too and I thought I'd have teenage skin forever. I'm still very self-conscious of my skin.

My advice to you would be to leave your skin alone for now - don't attack it with chemicals or wash it in too hot or too cold water - and let it heal. You don't want to traumatize it further.

You could try making a very gentle mask with kaolin clay and turmeric. Turmeric is what I believe made the red marks on my cheeks start to disappear. I could work for you too. Good luck (and I really mean it).

It could work for you too. Sorry Embarassed
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:04 am      Reply with quote
Everone gets it here in this thread. You can still use your retin but back off a bit such as use it 2-3 times per week and on the off days use GENTLE skin care.

As for the blackheads on your nose those strips should be taken off the market. Paulas Choice makes an excellent BHA and keeps your skin clear. Really this is all you need plus a sunscreen during the day.
Anastasia111

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all. This is the first forum ive found were everyone responds so fast, this is great! I think im going to get back on the Retin A. I also use a cetaphil cleansing bar which ive been told is very mild. Thanks for the advice!! Smile
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anastasia,

I'm new to this forum too - and it looks like everyone has given you great advice. I'm wondering also if you might ask your dermatologist for advice? (I'm guessing that your derm prescribed the Retin A for you?)

Since you are so lucky to have young skin - (Wish I were so young still!) you will probably heal quickly. The Biore strips can be pretty strong, esp. if you wait the full 15 minutes for them to dry. The redness you're seeing is probably some mild superficial trauma (?).

Maybe the salicylic acid (or lactic acid) will be a gentler method of keeping those blackheads at bay...

Best of luck!

Bunny
honbbb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
Those blackhead strips..they do they pretty well, but unfortunately, then can't minimise your pores. In my opinion, you should use some gentle exfoliant every day, so that it'll not hurt your skin. for once or twice a week, put on some clay mask to absorb those oily stuff in your pores, especially your nose. Don't forget to apply some toner after cleaning your face everytime. just be patient, those blackheads will run away gradually.
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
I don't think your skin is ruined, you just need to take it easy. You have to be gentle with your skin and introduce new products slowly to gauge what you can handle without shocking your skin. Awhile back I used WAY too many products and my face was out of control and covered in acne when I had never had acne. I realized I was using too many products and just started moisturizing my skin and being gentle with it. Make sure if you use the Retin A to start with the lowest strength and then work your way up to a higher strength. Good luck to you and I hope your skin goes back to normal soon.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I get broken caps and then they go away within days! Do yours look like little pimples I get those and have no clue what they are... Rosacea maybe. Well in any case as my mom likes to tell me skin changes! Like kdd said you have a good chance your skin will resolve itself just stay away from harsh products.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |