Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
How to diminish broken capillaries around nose?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I know there has probably been tons of posts about this very topic, but with new products constantly emerging, I wanted to make sure I have the most up-to-date recommendations. I have broken capillaries around my nose that started about two years ago and is gradually getting worse. I am trying to find something that will make them go away, not just camouflage them. Can anyone recommend something that I could try, preferrably something that EDS sells?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 am      Reply with quote
I am interested in this as well, though I honestly don't think a topical product woud help. I have a lot of broken caps on my upper cheeks and nose. I have a feeling a derm visit is really the only thing that will help!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:32 am      Reply with quote
IPL is the only thing that I know of that successfully treats broken caps. However, the ones around the nose can be very stubborn. I've had mine treated several times, but they always come back.

As for topical creams, I don't think they do anything. To treat broken caps, the blood has to be dispersed with a laser. I did read recently that Ferulic Acid is beneficial because it strengthens capillary walls but I'm doubtful that it would fully cure them.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:01 am      Reply with quote
The SC C, E, Ferulic (which I love) did nothing for my broken caps.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:50 am      Reply with quote
There is also an electrical procedure the dermatologist can do. I believe it is called needle coagulation, but I could be wrong. It is fast but painful. I had it done for a couple of them, and just could not stand the pain. I was hoping for the laser treatments, but, thanks to Keliu, will check it before going for it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
I am interested in this as well, though I honestly don't think a topical product woud help. I have a lot of broken caps on my upper cheeks and nose. I have a feeling a derm visit is really the only thing that will help!

I hope that there is something out there that does not require a vsit to a derm. The closest derm is hours away so that is not an option for me.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, from talking with my derm - once the capillaries are broken - there isn't much topically you can apply that will help. (And, I'm not sure I would feel safe applying something topically that could alter the blood supply in my face!!) Shock

There are certain things you can do to *avoid* having them break further (i.e. supplements to strengthen the capillary walls or avoiding UV exposure or the types of trauma that cause them).

I have heard of quite a few people who have stopped professional micro-dermabrasion treatments because the vacuum wands are too strong and cause capillary breakage.

As for treatments - IPL or, alternatively, the Nd:YAG laser are supposedly the gold standard right now for dealing with broken capillaries - but they can pose a risk of hyper/hypo-pigmentation. And, treatments don't prevent them from coming back.

I have heard of a product called "Capillary Clear" which is supposed to help reduce broken capillaries - but I don't know if it's just another hype filled product which doesn't actually do anything. Maybe one of the other forum members has had experience with it?

Sad
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:14 am      Reply with quote
I had a birthmark on my neck of a small cluster of coagulated caps.
When I grew up I had them removed in a salon with an electric needle, which took only two sessions.
After the first session the caps crusted over, and after about two weeks the scabs fell off,leaving paler caps.
The same thing happened after the second session. Only this time when the scabs fell off the caps had gone forever, leaving me with an unblemished neck to this day.

HTH
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
When I grew up I had them removed in a salon with an electric needle, which took only two sessions.
After the first session the caps crusted over, and after about two weeks the scabs fell off,leaving paler caps.
The same thing happened after the second session. Only this time when the scabs fell off the caps had gone forever, leaving me with an unblemished neck to this day.

HTH

I also had great success with the electric needle treatment, called diathermy. I treated two small clusters on my cheek only once 15 years ago, and they have never returned.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Holmes wrote:

HTH

I also had great success with the electric needle treatment, called diathermy. I treated two small clusters on my cheek only once 15 years ago, and they have never returned.

Does this hurt, and is this done in the derms office? I would love to get something done with my broken caps. Septembergirl, do you use Retin A or similar? My nurse told me that if I wanted to continue with the Retin A, I would have to live with the caps or keep going somewhere to get them treated?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:00 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
My nurse told me that if I wanted to continue with the Retin A, I would have to live with the caps or keep going somewhere to get them treated?

What does she mean exactly? I know that if you get the caps fixed by a laser you have to cease using Retin-A for a couple of weeks before-hand. Is she saying that Retin-A causes broken caps because I recently read on a web-site that Retin-A is recommended for treating them.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:19 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Septembergirl wrote:
Holmes wrote:

HTH

Does this hurt, and is this done in the derms office? I would love to get something done with my broken caps. Septembergirl, do you use Retin A or similar? My nurse told me that if I wanted to continue with the Retin A, I would have to live with the caps or keep going somewhere to get them treated?

Hi, rileygirl!
I went to an esthetician to have the treatment and did not find it painful at all. I don't know if you people in the US need to go to a derm's office or not.

Diathermy is a quick process where a fine needle with electric currency is inserted into the capillary. The current is supposed to drain away the blood that causes the capillaries to appair.

I cannot see any reason for not having diathermy when being on Retin-A, but it might be a good idea to skip tretinoin some days prior to treatment in order to decrease sensitivity.

Diathermy is best suited for smaller capillaries. It's a cheap and easy treatment which is very similar to electrolysis.

Here is a thread where some other EDS-members share their experience with electro coagulation/diathermy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=20351&highlight=diathermy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
My nurse told me that if I wanted to continue with the Retin A, I would have to live with the caps or keep going somewhere to get them treated?

What does she mean exactly? I know that if you get the caps fixed by a laser you have to cease using Retin-A for a couple of weeks before-hand. Is she saying that Retin-A causes broken caps because I recently read on a web-site that Retin-A is recommended for treating them.

Hi, Keliu. Yes, she is saying that the Retin A causes broken caps.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Septembergirl!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Hi, Keliu. Yes, she is saying that the Retin A causes broken caps.

In that case - I think she's incorrect, take a look here:
http://www.treatment-skincare.com/August-2006/Broken-Capillaries.html which says:

Primary causes of broken capillaries:

increasing age;
rosacea;
hereditary;
hormonal fluctuations (puberty, pregnancy, menopause);
pregnancy (increase in the amount of blood in the body, causing vein enlargement);
obesity;
leg injury — including prolonged standing;
fluctuations in temperature;
UVA sun damage.

Recommended Treatments for Broken Capillaries —

Face

A Serum used in Broken Capillary Treatment or Gernetic Veinulo Special Broken Capillary Treatment and Vasco Cream.
Daily use of a True Broad Spectrum Sunscreen used in Broken Capillary Treatment.
Retinol.
Jan Marini TGF Products with Vascular Epithelial Growth Factor (VEGF).
Avoidance of harsh facial scrubs, such as those containing ground walnut or apricot seeds

In everything that I've read about Retin-A, I've never seen it linked to broken caps - I think it mistakenly gets blamed for everything. My derm reassured me that broken caps were mainly a hereditary condition.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting, Keliu.

I wonder though, if you are prone to broken caps (hereditary or whatever the cause), if RA could possibly aggravate the condition? It could be a simple case of just bringing to the surface what was there all along.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Interesting, Keliu.

I wonder though, if you are prone to broken caps (hereditary or whatever the cause), if RA could possibly aggravate the condition? It could be a simple case of just bringing to the surface what was there all along.

I've been a huge sufferer of broken caps and, as mentioned before, have had numerous IPL treatments to get rid of them. I've also been using Retin-A for about a year and can honestly say that they haven't become worse. If anything, they've improved (but I also use a Dermaroller). It's just that those pesky ones around the nose are very stubborn.
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Does diathermy work on the very fine caps that look almost like a rash when in a bunch?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:
Does diathermy work on the very fine caps that look almost like a rash when in a bunch?

That is exactly what I have, Mishey! I have never thought to describe it how you did, but I new immediately what you were talking about!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Mishey wrote:

I had two small "bunches" of tiny caps that I got as a child, and diathermy eliminated them completely. Diathermy will work best on the small, thin veins.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:35 am      Reply with quote
Fantastic!! I have these on my chest which my derm said is from sun damage, and laser did nothing for them. It took abit of calling around but I finally found someone who does diathemy. Believe it or not, not many derms or Drs had even heard of it. Shock
Thanks heaps.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |