Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Getting rid of wrinkles at 18, dermaroller/LED/creams?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Perfectionist
5% products discount

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:37 am      Reply with quote
As a 18 year old I got forehead wrinkles, not the type small small, everyone might get in their early 20's, but pretty deep ones.

I think it's from my ALL TOO EXPRESSIONFULL facial movements.

So I'm desperate, I've read a lot about derma roller, however coming here, I've nto seen any true results, it seems the b/a pictures on all dermaroller sites are either photoshopped or some other treatment results.
Same with LED, it's pretty expensive.

Do anyone got any success stories with either of these devices?

What natural creams(my skin is fair, and sensitive, can't use any normal soap with out it going tried out) can I use that are affective against wrinkles?

*Desperate 18 year old WITH WRINKLES!*:P
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:15 am      Reply with quote
I posted a reply for you on one of your other threads with the same question. I do not believe dermarolling or LEDs are appropriate in your case.

5% products discount

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi Perfectionist -

I can definitely identify with your feelings, as I am a perfectionist too. Let me say that I can only speak to you out of my own experience, but here's what worked for me.

First, I have the baby quasar, and I do feel that it helps soften fine lines and plump the skin with regular use. I am particularly focusing on the lines around my mouth, as I am 27 and that is the next area starting to wrinkle, but I also use it to maintain my forehead.

I first noticed lines on my forehead at age 25. The key to relaxing these lines is to train the muscles in your forehead not to contract as forcefully. This doesn't mean you look like you have a mask; it just means you can relax the muscles more and don't hold your brows up as often. For me it was unconcious and I couldn't relax the muscles. I also had headaches in the muscles right above my brow from tension.

There are some natural items like "Frownies" that are stickers you place on your forehead at night to hold it smooth and train the muscles to lie flat. I didn't like these. I have also read that masking tape works as well, but I didn't try it.

What worked for me marvelously -- I hope it is not inappropriate to mention in these forurms -- is Botox. I got it at 25, and it instantly eliminated the lines on my forehead and got rid of persistent tension headaches I was having. It wears off in about 3 months, but I found I don't need to use it anymore (after about 2 sessions) because my lines had relaxed and I had learned to be concious about not raising my brow so often.

As far as cost, a treatment on the forehead will most likely cost $200-300, but when you compare the results to what you might get from some expensive creams or gadgets, it is worth it. Especially becuase you are young, and won't have to keep up with it. Then to maintain just use an LED device or whatever you want to try, and any lines will most likely remain quite minimal.

I hope this is helpful. This may not be right for you, but it was what worked for me.
taobunny
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, I wish I was 18 again... Wink

Hi Perfectionist - I would think that dermarolling and LED might be a bit much for such youthful skin. JMHO

I think maybe making sure that you're using a good broad spectrum sunscreen every day - all year round is a good idea.

And, maybe talk to your dermatologist about your forehead "wrinkles"... It could be just hereditary and nothing much can be done about them. In any case - I'm thinking that your skin at 18 is just about as good as it can be - so long as you avoid sun damage and don't smoke.

I don't have any real suggestions for invasive or tough treatments - but could it be that you're not getting enough fluids and nutrients to your skin? Just a thought!

(Oh, and don't forget sunglasses on bright day so you can avoid damage to the eye area!) < Gee, don't I sound like a mom? Whoops! >

Cool
girltwocb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a licensed esthy with 10 years experience, been using LEDs since 2001. If you use infrared LEDs after Botox you are throwing your money away! If NASA used it to grow plants, what do you think it does to your skin cells! Anyway, if will make Botox last much less, as it increases the growth of just about every tissue is shines on.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
I'd say start using your sunscreen faithfully. Since you're so young (I'm 22) I think you should give yourself a healthy foundation to work from before you jump into high tech stuff. If you do this stuff you should look healthy and happy well into your senior years.
I need to start doing it too. Stress relieving activities like yoga, pilates, meditation, long walks. Eat plenty of colourful foods drink your water, get enough of sleep. I find that taking cooler showers less often and incorporating serums is helpful for dryness that leads to a premature aged look. I myself use EL Advanced Night Repair Concentrate. If your skin glows it's less noticeable. But I do want to incorporate neat things like LED technology and BHA and Vitamin C concentrate. I hope that helps some. Wink
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
If these wrinkles are due to too much expression then the only cure I can see is botox.
Seems strange to be telling this to an 18 year old, but it's the only thing I know of that will work for that.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Sweetie do you think you could be getting a bit dysmorphic? I saw in the other thread you were upset about scars. Sometimes skin or other flaws can make us really upset but what we see isn't the same as what others see. Just taking a cue from your screen name, I would say that you consider yourself a perfectionist. Perfectionism is a trait that can be great at times but can also be harmful. We get obsessive and critical of ourselves. The late teen years aren't easy for everyone, I know this from personal experience, and talking to friends - my age and older...
If I were to give advice to my 18 year old self I would say "Take it easy on yourself". I wish I had been more gentle at times and less self loathing. It's hard to be unhappy with oneself, if you can't be gentle and forgiving with yourself I don't think you can ever be happy.
Maybe this isn't your scenario or situation...
I only have good intentions in passing my thoughts along.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:

If I were to give advice to my 18 year old self I would say "Take it easy on yourself". I wish I had been more gentle at times and less self loathing. It's hard to be unhappy with oneself, if you can't be gentle and forgiving with yourself I don't think you can ever be happy

Amen to that. I recently looked at old pictures of myself from 10 years ago (I'm 29) and I couldn't help thinking, why did I look so unhappy in every picture when I was in my prime, I was still thin, and full of youth??? Sigh, trust us, Perfectionist, try to enjoy it while you still can. Wrinkles and worries should be the last thing on your mind! You can revisit the issue in a couple years' time Wink
Kandy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
you can do facial exercises and those may really help (but the effects are usually seen after a few weeks workout)

here is video for free for the forehead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_6q4p5zpo&feature=PlayList&p=67A7F634963E69DE&index=2
Mishey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Kandy wrote:
you can do facial exercises and those may really help (but the effects are usually seen after a few weeks workout)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm_6q4p5zpo&feature=PlayList&p=67A7F634963E69DE&index=2

The only problem with facial exercises of the forehead is that they can take an extremely long time to flatten out the muscles up there, and you end up looking alot worse for a long time before they'll get better. That's why LouLou doesn't include them in her Ageless program.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:46 am      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:
I'm a licensed esthy with 10 years experience, been using LEDs since 2001. If you use infrared LEDs after Botox you are throwing your money away! If NASA used it to grow plants, what do you think it does to your skin cells! Anyway, if will make Botox last much less, as it increases the growth of just about every tissue is shines on.

I have Botox AND I use an LED - in my opinion it does not lessen the effect of the Botox in any way. Botox is a muscle relaxer and I've not heard or read that LED treatments effect muscles. There have been other threads on this topic and some posters have claimed that the spa where they got the Botox also offered a salon type LED treatment, such as Onmilux afterwards.

Perfectionist - you won't want to hear this, but honestly, 18 is far too young to be worrying about wrinkles. Believe me, wait another 30 years - then you'll really have something to worry about! I'm sure you're just being too hard on yourself - just invest in some good moisturiser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:53 am      Reply with quote
It is very true, that we age sooner if we keep worrying too much. (obviously). still, being a perfeccionist at times is good virtue in your right mind.
eireann
5% products discount

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
If I were to give advice to my 18 year old self I would say "Take it easy on yourself". I wish I had been more gentle at times and less self loathing. It's hard to be unhappy with oneself, if you can't be gentle and forgiving with yourself I don't think you can ever be happy

Quote:
Amen to that. I recently looked at old pictures of myself from 10 years ago (I'm 29) and I couldn't help thinking, why did I look so unhappy in every picture when I was in my prime, I was still thin, and full of youth??? Sigh, trust us, Perfectionist, try to enjoy it while you still can. Wrinkles and worries should be the last thing on your mind! You can revisit the issue in a couple years' time

ITA with these comments. I remember torturing myself as a teenager focusing on everything I thought was wrong with me and now all these years later I realize I looked fine. Have you checked with your friends or family if they can see these lines too? It can really help to talk to a friend and see what they think. I don't mean to diminish what you are going through, I know it's tough when you dislike something about yourself. It would also be a good idea to visit a dermatologist and see what he/she says. And as others have said, eat well, use sunscreen and a good skincare line for your age group. Also, I've used Frownies, they can be uncomfortable but they do help a little. I hope this helps Wink

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 am      Reply with quote
I am also 18 and have forehead wrinkles. This has helped a lot. And I feel better knowing someone else has my problem.
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:

I have been using botox and IR LED for 8 years and my surgeon is amazed how long my botox lasts - I have not seen any evidence suggesting that IR light affect botox - as IR is shining on us from the sun's rays surely this is also diminishing the affects of botox too?

PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Perfectionist wrote:
As a 18 year old I got forehead wrinkles, not the type small small, everyone might get in their early 20's, but pretty deep ones.

I think it's from my ALL TOO EXPRESSIONFULL facial movements.

So I'm desperate, I've read a lot about derma roller, however coming here, I've nto seen any true results, it seems the b/a pictures on all dermaroller sites are either photoshopped or some other treatment results.
Same with LED, it's pretty expensive.

Do anyone got any success stories with either of these devices?

What natural creams(my skin is fair, and sensitive, can't use any normal soap with out it going tried out) can I use that are affective against wrinkles?

*Desperate 18 year old WITH WRINKLES!*:P

If you can afford it do get some professional advice before doing anything to your skin.

My advice is wear the best sun screen you can afford and don't smoke.

PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote
It depends on the nature of the forehead exercises you do, as with many things, it doesn't effect everyone equally. For myself, I used to have major caverns on my forehead, and am convinced it was the combination of facial exercising and massage and training myself not to make those same type of expressions.

Even now, I catch myself making the odd expression where I raise my brows, and when I do I simply relax the muscle, but luckily now the tissue there where the lines used to form is very fit and healthy and so I don't get the creases like I used to.

I would try doing mini massages to your forehead, but not just focusing on your forehead, but also on the rest of your face. Although the problem area looks like tense forehead muscles, sometimes the tension is held in a particular spot to take the burden off another area. For example with the forehead area particular, it might be picking up some slack from say the temples, for example. Doing a little mini massage on your face will help to relieve that tension and also enable the muscles to become flat over time.

I know Lou doesn't recommend the forehead exercises to be done regularly for that reason, and she explains her reasoning for it beautifully, but something tells me neglecting them also won't result in smoothing lines on the forehead. I think for many of us, its simply finding a question of balance and there are sure many options out there which is wonderful.

I think your way too young to consider dermarolling and LED treatments just yet, but your not too young to start learning precise skincare habits that will save you a fortune later on (like proper cleansing, moisturising and sun protection, but also healthy diet, exercise etc). That would be the route I would suggest you explore before examing those options you mention.

PS I'm not sure its masking tape, but surgical tape thats often used, but you would only need that (or fronwies) if you wake up with the lines (which would signal your making the expression during sleep).

I'm not one for botox, as paralysing a muscle, doesn't necessarily stop it from aging, just stops it being able to move, but part of me wonders whether this allows the muscle to atrophy faster as a result. Also as its a fluid, I always worry that it will over time end up elsewhere. It has to be redone also.

Mishey wrote:
Kandy wrote:

The only problem with facial exercises of the forehead is that they can take an extremely long time to flatten out the muscles up there, and you end up looking alot worse for a long time before they'll get better. That's why LouLou doesn't include them in her Ageless program.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:33 am      Reply with quote
At the age of twenty five, your situation is very similar to mine. At such a young age there should be limits you can set in place that you feel comfortable with, like no botox for wrinkle related issues until age thirty (I had a bit of botox for a mini lift, not for wrinkles) and considering possible side affects of dermarolling before trying them (not that it will, most girls here do it, but there are always risks).

What you should do is LED light therapy, this will help with the overall health of your skin and in turn stimulate its natural components increasing collagen production (helping to plump up those lines). You should start dermarolling with a 0.25 model as it will assist in product penetration.

There are small things you can do but the more drastic procedures often come with higher risks, as we age we become more accepting of those risks. However someone at the age of eighteen would be none to pleased if they had to walk around with pigmentation as a result of a laser that had only little results.

Dont use Botox yet as it is expensive and there are other things you can do as an alternative. Using a serum containg muscle relaxing peptides along with dermarolling can help reduce those muscle contractions. Frownies are very popular on this forum. The use of a primer prior to foundation application can improve the look of those expression lines.

The best cream for your situation would contain peptides, vitamins C and E, also Retinol (not Retin-A as your to young for it and it could result in an accelerated rate of the skins aging process).

If it's an issue that you are concerned about then there are things you can do but start off with baby steps. Also stay away from salons if you want a treatment they will always take your money even if they dont believe you need it (I work at a day spa but have worked in salons before). Head straight to the dermatologist, someone who studied for years to get that title. Exclamation

Good luck Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |